• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

nampad

I don't think there's an option for me to request to join, maybe it's because I'm not at the required trophies.

I just made it to Arena 4 so maybe I'll get there eventually. Not sure what a lot of the stuff is (card "donations", clan chests, etc.).

We at GAF have a spot open, clan tag is #QYYQCQ. You have to search for it including the hashtag. I will open up the clan, please mention that you are from gaf so we know who to accept.

Ninja Dom

So what's everybody's opinion on the Electro Wizard??
latest

I don't have one yet. But it looks a really cool card.

So for some reason Dan from Giant Bomb made me feel compelled to start playing again for the first time since like March, and now I'm at Arena 5 for the first time ever. God dammit, it's drawn me back in.

Username is HemiRobo, what GAF clan should I join?

Edit - Now I'm at Arena 6, don't know how that happened.

Acerac

Banned
Any of the GAF clans have a spot I could sneak in on? I'm hovering around 1800 which feels decent for my first week playing the game, but it feels like progression from here is going to require some drops and upgrades.

Multiple legendary decks are rough at this level. ;_;

DrkSage

Ebarbs are cancer. They survive a lighting, they can outrun a rocket if you time it off even my the tiniest margin, tombstone is a failure of a counter don't even try it, you have to use more than 6+ elixir to counter them. They're basically the hog mixed with a mini pekka while being on steroids. You lose to a deck and the asshole starts spamming the laughing emote while saying thanks like they're the best player in the world when actually the Ebarbs was the only thing that carried the whole deck to victory. And to top it all off you have the usual suspects in the deck that seem to get a pass when the nerf hammer drops. The hog with a little bit of ice golem on the side.

/rant

Tornado seems to be a good counter to EB and in general rush decks.

Forces Elite barbs mid to attack your mid tower, activating it

can also do the same to hogs

gives you time to put down a counter whilst they take damage from 2 towers

hrm

Sushen

Ebarbs are cancer. They survive a lighting, they can outrun a rocket if you time it off even my the tiniest margin, tombstone is a failure of a counter don't even try it, you have to use more than 6+ elixir to counter them. They're basically the hog mixed with a mini pekka while being on steroids. You lose to a deck and the asshole starts spamming the laughing emote while saying thanks like they're the best player in the world when actually the Ebarbs was the only thing that carried the whole deck to victory. And to top it all off you have the usual suspects in the deck that seem to get a pass when the nerf hammer drops. The hog with a little bit of ice golem on the side.

/rant
Ice golem in the middle added by 3 skelles and ice spirit total of 4 elixirs will take care of them easily.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Leveling my Valkyrie in the last few days has just given me enough of an edge to climb above 4000 for the first time.

That's helping marginally more with the Elite Barbarians too. I'm still thankful a large portion of people playing them are overconfident enough to throw them out randomly where you have some kind of chance rather than pairing them well with something.

Season resets are such a mess with all the high level players being brought down to 4000, as well as those who intentionally unrank to farm clan chest.

Pretty unplayable for a few days.

So what's everybody's opinion on the Electro Wizard??
latest

I don't have one yet. But it looks a really cool card.

I really like it. I don't know what the odds are but I actually got one from a free chest today. I replaced my Musketeer with it and it's pretty great, does similar DPS, has more health, and a free Zap when I place it. It's stun ability really messes up some cards too, I don't know all the names but ele wiz's attack constantly restarts the laser dragon's attack, and it seems to be really useful on towers as well.

I was hoping to get some feedback on my current deck. I was doing

Ice Wizard
Baby Dragon
Skeleton Army
Tornado
Hog Rider
Archers
Zap
Musketeer

and I was constantly bouncing between Arena 6 and 7. Today I replace the Archers with a Princess, I've had it for a long time but tried it out and didn't like it for whatever reason. It's way more useful, and that change alone finally had me winning often enough to be firmly in 7. Then I got my elewiz and replace the Musketeer with him and I'm in arena 8.

The card I worry the most about is Baby Dragon, I've been using it for a long time and feel like it's probably outclassed but something. On the other hand it still feels pretty useful, it's got a lot of health, can take care of hordes (though with Tornado, Zap, and now EleWiz that's not much of a concern anyway), and can do some damage if left alone.

Curious if anyone has any suggestions for that or other aspects of my deck. I feel like it's pretty well-balanced, usually when I lose I feel like it's because I played poorly and went all-in on something my opponent was prepared to defend and they came back hard when I couldn't' defend, not because I just had no counter for something they threw at me.

Kioshen

Quite funny about the ice golem since at first overall people were like "what are we going to do with this. It's useless". Now it's like the swiss army knife CR didn't know it needed.

Man, Giant Skelly + clone potion has become my favorite combo in the game. Deliver GS to a tower by whatever means, and hit them with the juice just before they die (or sooner). Two bombs.

Sushen

Let me guess the other five cards: hog rider, elite barbarians or fireball, zap, canon, mega Minion or musketeer.
You've guessed it right. I'm a giant player and I couldn't keep up with fast hog decks, so I joined the current meta.

I still prefer MP over EB, though.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Man, Giant Skelly + clone potion has become my favorite combo in the game. Deliver GS to a tower by whatever means, and hit them with the juice just before they die (or sooner). Two bombs.

Getting a giant to the tower has to be the hardest thing to do in the entire game, though.

Getting a giant to the tower has to be the hardest thing to do in the entire game, though.

True. But one good trick that helps there for me at least is to drop the GS way backfield, maybe behind my castle, on the side away from where other action is happening. Then go back to dropping low cost troops on the other side, and get it in the opponent's head that they don't have to prioritize the Giant Skeleton yet, because they still have time. Then when it slowly shuffles up to about my own castle on that side or so, I drop a knight behind it, which pushes the GS and changes the timing. If they drop an airborne troop like minion horde or anything else, they're screwed. A skeleton army will do it, but many times, the timing will be off, and they'll drop the army behind my GS. My GS may not be locked on to the tower yet, but if it's within bomb range, it's clone time. I've had some pretty good success with it.

I do tend to hover around 2500 trophies, though. I know this strategy probably won't cut it as often in Legendary.

UFO

Banned

I tried that combo a few times in challenge matches but its still extremely difficult getting a giant skeleton near the tower, so it wasnt a consistent deck for me.

Virdix

Just came back to the game after a long break(rage uninstall) im hovering at 2k trophies using the same deck from the past:

Hog
Goblins
Minions
Inferno Tower
Elixer Gen
Zap
Baby Dragon
Royal Giant

However, I seem to get crushed by people using cards from the frozen arena.

Any new decks i should be aware of? The only Lege I have is the Ice Wizard

Just got this game, it's fun af, which neogaf clan can I join there's like 10 of em.

Working my way thru this bread sorry if it's already been answered

Just came back to the game after a long break(rage uninstall) im hovering at 2k trophies using the same deck from the past:

Hog
Goblins
Minions
Inferno Tower
Elixer Gen
Zap
Baby Dragon
Royal Giant

However, I seem to get crushed by people using cards from the frozen arena.

Any new decks i should be aware of? The only Lege I have is the Ice Wizard

Pumps are very risky in this meta where Fireballs and Lightning are a lot more common due to Ebarbs.

Ditch Baby Dragon.

Matush

We opened up a few spots in our GAF clan (#20Y9PQ), so if anyone active is interested, hit us up, don't forget to state your NeoGAF name in request message.

Cards that need to be nerfed imo:

Elite Barbs - Seems like they are being used in 80-90% of decks. Not many (any?) counters that lets you come away with a positive elixir advantage. Think they should slow either their run or attack speed or give them less HP.

Furnace - Very difficult card to deal with, seems like it stays on the board forever and provides constant pressure if you don't deal with it. Is a great support card as well for any push and for only 4 elixir, it's a great investment. Think they need to make it spawn 1-2 less waves and it'll be well balanced.

Ice Golem - One of the safest cards you can play. Relatively zero risk here, it's only 2 elixir and will tank for any push. It's explosion destroys skeletons, which is very useful with the skelly army being popular right now. I think it would be fine if you took away some of it's HP.

Furnace is OK for me. It has plenty of counters.

I think they just need to tweak it a bit so that it's not so level dependent. It's always one level away between bad and good.

totowhoa

Banned
Agreed on those nerfs ^

I'd love for electro wiz to survive fireball with a damage reduction, but it's likely too soon for that.

Graveyard also needs a small nerf. Spawn faster and reduce the time a bit maybe? Dart goblins attack speed + range may functionally act as a GY nerf though.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Agreed on those nerfs ^

I'd love for electro wiz to survive fireball with a damage reduction, but it's likely too soon for that.

Graveyard also needs a small nerf. Spawn faster and reduce the time a bit maybe? Dart goblins attack speed + range may functionally act as a GY nerf though.

Graveyard has multiple single unit effective counters like Valkyrie, Minions, Muskateer, Archers, goblin spears as well as decent low cost counters like Knight and Princess.

If you made it spawn faster then it would probably end up doing more damage even if it was a shorter lifespan as several of those counters couldn't keep up.

commish

Furnace is OK for me. It has plenty of counters.

I think they just need to tweak it a bit so that it's not so level dependent. It's always one level away between bad and good.

What counters furnace?

Graveyard has multiple single unit effective counters like Valkyrie, Minions, Muskateer, Archers, goblin spears as well as decent low cost counters like Knight and Princess.

If you made it spawn faster then it would probably end up doing more damage even if it was a shorter lifespan as several of those counters couldn't keep up.

Not sure knight would counter it unless there's nothing drawing attention of the tower. Minions and archers are good but you'll probably get a fireball next time. If you have the elixir then GY can be countered pretty easily. If you don't, though, it's brutal. That's why it's best used on a counterattack. Hard to stop both front attack and GY.

GAF Royale #Q8C9CY has cleared two spots for anyone looking to get in before the next clan chest cycle. Mention GAF in your request. If you need the trophy count lowered from 2600 please PM me and I will take care of it. Thanks.

What counters furnace?
1. Cannon: Shuts down a lone furnace completely.
2. Tesla: Same as Cannon, but more expensive.
2. Fireball: Can always hit Furnace + Tower, unless Furnace is next to the river, which makes it easy to hit. Can constantly nuke every time, eventually forcing the enemy to switch it up.
3. Poison: Same as Fireball, but also kills all spirits while active.
4. Any push with a big tank in front, unless you use hordes for support.

Tombstone probably shuts a lone furnace too, but haven't tried. Lightning is good but very situational because you want a good third target.

Not sure knight would counter it unless there's nothing drawing attention of the tower. Minions and archers are good but you'll probably get a fireball next time. If you have the elixir then GY can be countered pretty easily. If you don't, though, it's brutal. That's why it's best used on a counterattack. Hard to stop both front attack and GY.

GY is indeed brutal when it comes to punishing. I recently got rekt by an unexpected GY + Freeze.

Knight absolutely doesn't defend against GY. I mean, the only GY counter in my main deck is Guards and they're not enough.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

Knight and princess are ok as long as you have good placement. For the cost they'll reduce a lot of the damage.

And if the opponent freezes or fireballs then they have invested a lot of elixir on that relative to what you've spent. I would imagine in that situation you'd have the elixir to drop something else. If you don't have the elixir then you probably went all in on the opposite lane and should prey that push works.

Dranthos

Neo Member
Any GAF clan has a spot to spare? Lvl 8 here tired of getting lvl 2-3 clan Chest only -_-

Edit: currently sitting at 2.2k trophies.

Kioshen

We still have a spot open in GAF Royale #Q8C9CY if you want. We're a pretty active clan and get our max clan chests with ample time to spare. Since your trophy count is lower than 2600, please PM Midshipman to coordinate your inclusion. It's not a hard requirement we just up the limit to restrict spam requests :).

commish

So tired of players who do nothing but spam EB and Ice Golem and Ice Spirit. I get it. you are very talented in spamming those cards of the week. I know. Just try something else! The meta is getting so boringgggg zzzzzzzzzzzz. That said, bowler does a really good job of defending against EB.

Dazzler

So tired of players who do nothing but spam EB and Ice Golem and Ice Spirit. I get it. you are very talented in spamming those cards of the week. I know. Just try something else! The meta is getting so boringgggg zzzzzzzzzzzz. That said, bowler does a really good job of defending against EB.

I've taken to saying good luck and closing the app when the opponent has EB and Royal Giant. Just not worth three minutes of grinding trying to defend against it

Total waste of time. The meta stinks right now

japtor

I generally don't mind them (at least at my level, just under 3000)...cause it seems like they're usually not that good. It's slightly annoying cause my main deck pretty much sucks defending against them, but eh, it's not like I'm going for 1-0 victories.

Ecto311

I've taken to saying good luck and closing the app when the opponent has EB and Royal Giant. Just not worth three minutes of grinding trying to defend against it

Total waste of time. The meta stinks right now

I wish there was a forfeit button. I hate closing the app and opening it to see the match still going and all my shit falling down.

I use the EB for more defense usually. That with the fire wizard and tornado it's hard for anything to survive.

Plus it seems like skeletons negate them so much anymore I can't just rage them as an opener to quickly take a tower. Used to work gangbusters though.

EB are only scary when you have your pants down. Otherwise kite them around with ice golem, drop skele army on them, bowler, valk are also good. I stopped running them bc they are so easily countered and do not counter air. If my opponent relies on EB for offense i know i will probably win due to possible positive elixir trades. But they will nerf them probably, maybe make them a bit slower to get to the tower.

If you're using EB for defense, why not just use regular Barbs?

Hope they nerf EB good. The card is so overbearing that your deck needs to specifically be able to handle EB. I think even just nerfing HP is enough, which forces it to offensive use.

Pikma

Banned
If you're using EB for defense, why not just use regular Barbs?

Hope they nerf EB good. The card is so overbearing that your deck needs to specifically be able to handle EB. I think even just nerfing HP is enough, which forces it to offensive use.
Regular barbs are basically useless for counter pushes since they're so slow and easy to kill

But yeah fuck EBs, I have no idea what the fuck is taking Supercell so long

Ninja Dom

It's true guys. We're currently in the least enjoyable time to play the game in the one year that it has been released. All due to Elite Barbarians.

Merovin

Is there a GAF clan I'm able to join if I'm sitting at 1991 trophies? Just getting back into the game after a long hiatus, not the best player right now but have found my love for the game again and looking to improve!

Kioshen

Supercell is taking their time with this because they think it injected a good dose of offense into the game from various responses in Q&As. Which I tend to agree even if it's overbearing at times. It keeps you on your toes and honest instead of being able to build an unstoppable push behind king towers.

On the ladder, you need to tech against Elite barbs, Graveyard, Royal Giants, Air decks, cycle decks and so on and so forth. I think they'll go the hearthstone route and just keep adding cards instead. If it still doesn't balance things out maybe reduce the speed it runs to give more time to deal with it like they did with Mortar and X-Bow.

Top Bottom