• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

My clan:

January: Eh, I'm F2P, not gonna give them any money.

February: This game is pretty awesome, but gonna stay F2P.

March/April: Eh... the devs deserve some money. I'll spend $20 and just gem chests.

May update: Man, I spent $100 on super magical chests and only got 1 legendary. Oh well.

I just went $400 deep and only got ice wizard and lava hound. It came so fast doing it 50 bucks at a time and then cursing at chests sucking. When you look at it as a PS4 or something I feel like an awful person. But I went from 2000 to 3000 trophies in a day, so that's cool.

ElyrionX

I just went $400 deep and only got ice wizard and lava hound. It came so fast doing it 50 bucks at a time and then cursing at chests sucking. When you look at it as a PS4 or something I feel like an awful person. But I went from 2000 to 3000 trophies in a day, so that's cool.

You bought SMCs? Apparently it's more efficient to buy Magical Chests for legendaries.

I'm I'm Lvl 7 and I'm in Arena 7. I'd say that 75% of my games are against Lvl 8s and Lvl 9s.

It will never stop amazing me when those people feel proud (and feel that it makes good sense to taunt!) when they beat me as a direct result of having more hitpoints in their towers.

Like, yes gamebro, you beat me. You beat me because when you stopped my final rush, you had 80 hp remaining in your right tower, and you started with 300 more hp than me (or whatever). And then I said "Good game." And then you hammered on the crying and laughing kings.

Sigh.

When I say "Good game" and the person responds with simply "Thanks" or the thumbs-up king... is that a taunt? Is the decision not to say "Good game" back a taunt? (I'm just trying to pin down the social dynamics of the game.)

demigod

I'm I'm Lvl 7 and I'm in Arena 7. I'd say that 75% of my games are against Lvl 8s and Lvl 9s.

It will never stop amazing me when those people feel proud (and feel that it makes good sense to taunt!) when they beat me as a direct result of having more hitpoints in their towers.

Like, yes gamebro, you beat me. You beat me because when you stopped my final rush, you had 80 hp remaining in your right tower, and you started with 300 more hp than me (or whatever). And then I said "Good game." And then you hammered on the crying and laughing kings.

Sigh.

Nah, only the crying and the laughing are taunts imo. Yeah I hate dbags who outclass me in levels and laugh after they win. Or if they go defensive mode and launch a rocket at the end and laugh. Like really, they should be in arena 8 and not 7 beating on someone way lower than them. I was winning against a dude with lvl 10 barbs when I only have lvl 8 until he pulls out his new legendary bulldozer and zapped all my guys and towers.

When I say "Good game" and the person responds with simply "Thanks" or the thumbs-up king... is that a taunt? Is the decision not to say "Good game" back a taunt? (I'm just trying to pin down the social dynamics of the game.)

I usually say "Thanks" when someone says "Good game". I have never thought of it as taunting my opponent. Although I usually follow it with a "Well Played".

I kind of wish they would take the chatting to your opponents out of the game altogether. Or at least give us some options for when someone is being a dick and you want to respond accordingly.

Nah, only the crying and the laughing are taunts imo. Yeah I hate dbags who outclass me in levels and laugh after they win. Or if they go defensive mode and launch a rocket at the end and laugh. Like really, they should be in arena 8 and not 7 beating on someone way lower than them. I was winning against a dude with lvl 10 barbs when I only have lvl 8 until he pulls out his new legendary bulldozer and zapped all my guys and towers.

Just played a dude. Level 9. Has that Legendary crossbow character. I have zero Legendaries and I'm Level 7. Beats me at the wire... Laughing Kings!

Just played a dude. Level 9. Has that Legendary crossbow character. I have zero Legendaries and I'm Level 7. Beats me at the wire... Laughing Kings!
I want a 'your cards are much higher level than me, man you ain't shit, you almost lost too, quit that gloating' taunt.

I don't get why people think they're amazing when there's a mis-match in levels.

I usually say "Thanks" when someone says "Good game". I have never thought of it as taunting my opponent. Although I usually follow it with a "Well Played".

Interesting. If someone GGd me, I'd always say it back. Maybe just comes from other online games.

To me, it's the equivalent of telling your girlfriend that you love her and then her replying with "thanks". Hahah.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

At last do it in batches of $100! If I spent $400 right now on the game, the "cost" per hour would be about 10 cents compared to how many hours I've put into this game since launch.

You bought SMCs? Apparently it's more efficient to buy Magical Chests for legendaries.

Is that really the case? What's the thought behind? Not disputing it. Just curious.

I want a 'your cards are much higher level than me, man you ain't shit, you almost lost too, quit that gloating' taunt.

I don't get why people think they're amazing when there's a mis-match in levels.

The thing I'd like to say is: "The fact that you're two levels and 300+ hitpoints ahead of me, and yet still in the same trophy area, is full-blown proof that you suck at this game." But, alas, there is no such button.

demigod

I've beaten someone with a Princess before and I have ZERO legendaries. The random luck is pretty bs imo. Some people have 2-3 legendaries already without spending a dime on this game. I just laugh at them back after they laugh at me.

Hah, I wish.

ST2K

Well, I just got a Super Magical Chest for winning in a match.

That's pretty cool. I didn't know that could happen.

Maximus P

Sigh.

I'm level 7 too and I'm also arena 7 at around 2500. I haven't seen a level 7 player for over a week! I mostly come across level 9s now.

Regarding the Taunts, this is how i see it...

Laughing king at end of match- ass hat

'Thanks' when they smash one of your towers or at the end of the match after they beat you - ass hat

'Well played' when they just smashed you 3-0- ass hat

spamming?...ass hat

The only good responses are 'good luck' at the start, 'good game' after a win and 'well played' when you lose. I sometimes use the 'oops' one when im an idiot and put barbs down next to a nearly dead skeleton giant or miss completely with arrows. Mostly anything else can be perceived as a taunt. I'd love a mute option. There's nothing worse than someone 2 levels higher than you only just beating you 3-2 to then spam the laugh at the end.

Edit: just after i wrote this i came across a level 7 player...i said 'wow' at the start because i thought level 7 players were extinct at my level and then the guy plays ultra defensive spamming the 'wow' every time he fireballs or rockets my towers followed by the laugh when he gets the narrow win. Maybe he thought i was being a jerk? i dunno, but he came across as massive tool.

ElyrionX

At last do it in batches of $100! If I spent $400 right now on the game, the "cost" per hour would be about 10 cents compared to how many hours I've put into this game since launch.

Is that really the case? What's the thought behind? Not disputing it. Just curious.

All chests have a hard cap of 1 legendary per chest. You can open more Magical Chests and hence will be able to get more legendaries after adjusting for the different probabilities.

Agent

I've become so fascinated by watching Arena 1 matches on TV Royale. Honestly, they are hilarious to watch what new players are doing. I would like to think I wasn't doing the same things, but in reality I probably was. There was this one match where a guy kept rocketing/ fire-balling the King Tower. He got it down to like 200HP in the final minute but then went into a panic because his opponent took out most of his crown towers. He used the rocket/fireball against the troops instead, when he could have won by going after the tower.

Though, it's embarrassing that high level people are showing up in Level 1 Arenas. There was a replay last night of a Level 8 with mostly level 7 cards against a Level 2 who clearly just started the game.

The Legendary Arena is also now showing battles in the Top 200 again it appears.

commish

All chests have a hard cap of 1 legendary per chest. You can open more Magical Chests and hence will be able to get more legendaries after adjusting for the different probabilities.

Oh did not know that. Thx for the tip.

Maximus P

Though, it's embarrassing that high level people are showing up in Level 1 Arenas. There was a replay last night of a Level 8 with mostly level 7 cards against a Level 2 who clearly just started the game..

I watch arena 3 because thats the level my son is at. I feel a bit guilty judging tbh, because there must be a lot of kids in the lower ranks.

On the same subject, do we know if you get a notification when you have a match featured? I do look now and again to see if anyone from my clan is on there.

I'm level 7 too and I'm also arena 7 at around 2500. I haven't seen a level 7 player for over a week! I mostly come across level 9s now.
Yeah, I'm sitting around 2200-2300 right now and I just turned level 8 after I decided to experiment by upgrading a whole bunch of my unused cards and I probably saw a level 7 once in every 20 games or so.

I did however once see a level 6 which was impressive. Either he never donates or has only upgraded cards he uses.

I have a second account I use to feed donations, level 5 at 1500-1600 range with just level 3 rares and level 5-6 commons and it is hilarious to come up against, and win, level 8 players that low who are obviously P2W with level 3-4 epics and level 8 commons.

I don't even have a level 3 epic on my main account.

yatesl

The thing I'd like to say is: "The fact that you're two levels and 300+ hitpoints ahead of me, and yet still in the same trophy area, is full-blown proof that you suck at this game." But, alas, there is no such button.

Just king with dollar bills falling down around him.

GodofWine

$400...You just bought about 8 retail games worth of mobile game stuff to increase your trophy count...I mean if ya got it, flaunt it I guess, but damn..

(After playing boom beach for a long time I bought 9.99 worth of gems to say 'thanks' to them)

commish

$400...You just bought about 8 retail games worth of mobile game stuff to increase your trophy count...I mean if ya got it, flaunt it I guess, but damn..

(After playing boom beach for a long time I bought 9.99 worth of gems to say 'thanks' to them)

I have 70+ games in my steam library that I never played. I wish I could take that money and put into into Clash Royale :(

Ferny

But will those 8 retail games bring him as much fun as CR is bringing to him now? I mean in reality, that is what we're measuring here. What if he never finishes those 8 retail games?

If he is enjoying the game to that degree, then the number of games he can buy for the amount is really moot.

red13th

The amount of Giant decks I'm facing is funny. because pre-Bomb Tower nerf I was like the only one using Giants (and getting draws/losses against Bomb Tower decks), now they are everywhere (low Arena 7). Aggravating to play against but I can't complain since it's the deck I'm playing since the game was released. :p

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So is the bomb tower change bad enough that I should give up leveling it? I've got a chance to put it to level 4 and still really like them.

Maximus P

So is the bomb tower change bad enough that I should give up leveling it? I've got a chance to put it to level 4 and still really like them.

Still great against building decks and they compliment other stuff like mortors.

There is one deck I keep coming across that I just can't beat.

Inferno,cannon,bomb tower, rockets, fireball, goblins, spear goblins+1

If I come across this sort of setup I play it out for the draw becuase I have no chance of a win. Im useless at beating the ultra defence decks.

Maximus P

Hog rider is by far the most annoying card of all. Not because he's hard to handle but becuase everyone uses him...and I mean everyone. It's got to a stage that I actually hold back counter cards for him expecting him in every match I play.

hollomat

Banned
Still great against building decks and they compliment other stuff like mortors.

There is one deck I keep coming across that I just can't beat.

Inferno,cannon,bomb tower, rockets, fireball, goblins, spear goblins+1

If I come across this sort of setup I play it out for the draw becuase I have no chance of a win. Im useless at beating the ultra defence decks.

I've been using Royal giant lately and he's fantastic against these decks. He's out of range of bomb and inferno tower if they play them first.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
The amount of Giant decks I'm facing is funny. because pre-Bomb Tower nerf I was like the only one using Giants (and getting draws/losses against Bomb Tower decks), now they are everywhere (low Arena 7). Aggravating to play against but I can't complain since it's the deck I'm playing since the game was released. :p

I just switched to a giant deck recently (A4) and finally am having reasonable success maintaining my 1100+ trophies for the first time ever. Bomb towers and arrows still mess me up but I definitely win and draw much more than I lose lately.

nampad

I just started a second account with Bluestacks because the game is so much fun. The newbies know nothing about this game though so I am blazing through the ranks.

Watched my nephew play before and he is also just spamming cards he thinks are cool.

I don't know what's funny about being a dick. It's as annoying as those spawner decks if not more.

I called him asshat and fucker so it should be pretty clear what I think of this trolling. The only funny thing is that someone is such a low life who has to troll.

He doesn't play for wins though but the way he plays is quite annoying.

broz0rs

I think I've realized that I have been playing Giant all wrong. I treated Giant as push starter, meaning I would start the card where the Crown tower is located and build up cards behind it just like a Golem or Pekka. The idea is to have about twenty elixir worth of cards all slowly marching towards the tower. It can easily get countered by having well placed towers and card drops on squishy units behind the Giant.

Recently, I've been having greater success when I start the Giant by the bridge. I would play patiently and if I clearly win a big fight by my tower, I put down the Giant to start my counter attack with the cards that are already active behind it. The push will be really hard to stop because of the elixir advantage (opponent should be low elixir from the failed push). You can't do that with Golem or Pekka because of their cost and their cast time.

JoeNut

i've never really used giant, mine is level 5 because i like to upgrade things for no reason lol, so probably worth using.

wizard is kicking ass, im getting decent use of the fire spirits too, anyone else using the new cardS?

Magnariot

Neo Member
Tired of this game and quitting. Nerfing my bomb tower was the last straw. Wish I could make a blanket donation to my clan. Have over 1100 cards to donate (including a dozen Epics), 4000 gold, a couple hundred gems that are just going to waste, and the chests keep pouring in even without playing. SC should institute a Clan Bank to facilitate CR estate planning, and some way of converting everything into gold that's then distributed to all clan members. How else am I going to get rid of 246 cannons, 232 skeletons, and 215 goblins?

JoeNut

cya.

It's definitely got harder, i'm struggling to get back anywhere near the 2000 i was at, currently at 1700 and trying to adapt.

red13th

At my modest skill level I honestly think both Giants (regular and Royal) are ridiculously strong, been facing them almost every match and it's always super close.

I've gotten much better at surrounding Wizards with my Barbs so one thing I used to dread (Giant+Wizard push) has become far easier to counter. Valk+Giant pushes are harder to counter IMO.

My deck I've used since forever: Giant, Bomber, Musketeer, Arrows, Barbarians, Cannon, Minions. I swapped Minion Horde for Minions because they aren't Arrowed profitably and BOY does that make a difference! I strongly recommend 3 elixir Minions, they are so good.

Top Bottom