• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Disbanding my clan. Fun while it lasted but most members quit playing. Anyone have spots open on an active clan that donates? I donate constantly.
See above. GAF Royale has spots.
Stealth Top of Page Edit:
GAF Royale with approx 12000 donations a week has cleared out spots.
#Q8C9CY mention your GAF name in your request

Raven77

I somehow have managed to get two Lava Hound cards. Is it worth the 5k in gold to upgrade him to lvl 2? I just hit rank 9.

I somehow have managed to get two Lava Hound cards. Is it worth the 5k in gold to upgrade him to lvl 2? I just hit rank 9.
Absolutely. It makes the pups less vulnerable to zap and tower damage. I forget the exact numbers but I think it adds an additional arrow they can tank from the tower.
I play lava hound like an arrow bait deck. Throw a minion horde behind it and make them arrow or fireball the horde so the pups survive. If they run zap only then the horde punishes hard.

Alur

I don't mind. I got Zagara today as last pick on Garden of Terror. Despite never taking Terror, I did double the siege damage of anyone else in the game. It was glorious.

I see what you did there.

By Zagara and siege/Nydus, you meant Miner amirite? Clever code names you filthy P2Wer.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's the issue with a tourney of more than a few hours. All the games come in spurts.

I thnk the problem with JD's tournament is timing. It's running parallel to the killer dragons tournament which is also 2 days and which a bunch of Gaf clan members jumped into the day before and are doing well in (lots in the top 10). So they probably don't want to ditch that one, which leaves JD's underpopulated.

Could remove the password and let those weird normal folk flood in? You'd at least get matches..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Absolutely. It makes the pups less vulnerable to zap and tower damage. I forget the exact numbers but I think it adds an additional arrow they can tank from the tower.
I play lava hound like an arrow bait deck. Throw a minion horde behind it and make them arrow or fireball the horde so the pups survive. If they run zap only then the horde punishes hard.

If I see a lava hound I'm not using my arrows no matter what. If I'm feeling lucky I might try and cycle the deck quickly to use arrows twice because of how slowly the hound goes down, but those pups are pure evil if left alone.

I see what you did there.

By Zagara and siege/Nydus, you meant Miner amirite? Clever code names you filthy P2Wer.

Hm. I got the threads wrong..or did I..>_>;

...I legit thought you were talking about HotS on tourney days and that games happen slower <_< and then I thought 'oh I'm in the HotS thread'.

Alur

That's fine man, just request to join with your username. It'll help you level up faster and level your cards faster. Just don't be afraid to donate. You'll get more out of giving over a few measly cards than holding onto them.

hollomat

Banned
Playing soon after a reset was a big mistake. Everyone has plus 2 or 3 levels on me.

There's over 310,000 people in legendary prior to this reset. I finished around 3550 trophies and was ranked 41,000 so I'd definitely recommend waiting as long as you can before playing.

spyder_ur

As someone who generally sat between 3500-3700 crowns I love when the reset hits. Enjoy a few more casual games and easier path to my crown chests.

Plus - way less miners!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
As someone who generally sat between 3500-3700 crowns I love when the reset hits. Enjoy a few more casual games and easier path to my crown chests.

Plus - way less miners!

My entire life is miners. I think everyone above 3300 gets a free miner or something.

Should I make a tourney after this one? I have the gems to do it and I get paid back from the achievement... what does 500 gems get you?

spyder_ur

My entire life is miners. I think everyone above 3300 gets a free miner or something.

I can confirm that this is inaccurate.

I just hate miner so much. Along with the princess they're the two cards that don't obey the rules of the game, if you will. I can't complain too much - I've got princess and ice wiz.

commish

I can confirm that this is inaccurate.

I just hate miner so much. Along with the princess they're the two cards that don't obey the rules of the game, if you will. I can't complain too much - I've got princess and ice wiz.

I've found that ice wiz is a pretty good counter to miner. I use him on the incoming miner support troops.

hollomat

Banned

Looking at my last 10 games, 9 of them had miner. I hate this card so much because I run elixir collector and princess.

Only card I see used more often is zap.

I actually have a lvl 2 miner as well, but it wouldn't work well in my deck and all the cards it would work well with are too low lvl for me.

spyder_ur

I've found that ice wiz is a pretty good counter to miner. I use him on the incoming miner support troops.

Timing and placement there can be pretty tricky though, to make sure the ice wiz attacks the support troops rather than the miner. They're usually more dangerous.

commish

Looking at my last 10 games, 9 of them had miner. I hate this card so much because I run elixir collector and princess.

Only card I see used more often is zap.

I actually have a lvl 2 miner as well, but it wouldn't work well in my deck and all the cards it would work well with are too low lvl for me.

Miner can work in almost every deck. As you said, it's great for taking down pumps and princesses. I'm having a hard time keeping it out of my deck, even if I don't run a traditional miner deck most of the time.

Timing and placement there can be pretty tricky though, to make sure the ice wiz attacks the support troops rather than the miner. They're usually more dangerous.

Yeah, I don't care if the miner gets a few hits in - it's the support troops that wreck shit. You need to place the IW in the middle such that it aggros the incoming troops and pulls them away. If the only damage they are doing to your tower is a few miner hits, then they will never win bc miner is too weak by itself. Maybe I'll start using a defensive structure again.

JDdelphin

I thnk the problem with JD's tournament is timing. It's running parallel to the killer dragons tournament which is also 2 days and which a bunch of Gaf clan members jumped into the day before and are doing well in (lots in the top 10). So they probably don't want to ditch that one, which leaves JD's underpopulated.

Could remove the password and let those weird normal folk flood in? You'd at least get matches..

Yeah, I should have done a poll about what other tourneys were on...
Damn me.

That's what I get for getting pissed at the game and making expensive and stupid decisions in a big bunch

Couldn't participate all that much on the weekend. I'm nearing 500 gems and will host one during the Week and will keep an eye on the thread. For me tourneys are for testing decks in a friendly environment anyway.

Brakke

Banned
Hmm so pretty much all of my non-epic cards (and a bunch of epics, too) are waiting to upgrade for 1000 or 2000 gold. I did a quick estimate and I think if I spent real money on coins I could go up to level nine right now.

I dunno if I want to spend money -- none of my active cards need upgrade -- but I'm wondering is there any downside to ranking up? From what I can see, matchmaking is only based on Trophies, right? It's a pure benefit to level up, for better towers?

For such a popular game this OT is pretty dead. Kinda surprising

The clans have an in-game chat. GAF Royale clan chat is pretty active. Sure that's redirecting some posts that might otherwise happen here.

Alur

RG with triple legendaries is actually very good. I run it myself. You already have so much air defense (spear gobs, Princess, wizard) you don't need arrows IMO.

The clans have an in-game chat. GAF Royale clan chat is pretty active. Sure that's redirecting some posts that might otherwise happen here.

I'd agree with that. Plus it's not really a game with a huge amount to discuss anyway.

Due to the way the ladder works you quickly find out what cards are the strongest, and you can copy an enemy's deck in game now so you don't even have to ask about deck building tips. Even your great games/plays get shared in clan chat so no real incentive to talk about them here. That leaves balance changes and F2P vs P2W complaints for the thread.

hollomat

Banned
RG with triple legendaries is actually very good. I run it myself. You already have so much air defense (spear gobs, Princess, wizard) you don't need arrows.

That's actually a good point. Really the only thing I use arrows for is against princess or lava pups and miner can take out princess and give an elixir advantage. Going to try it out.

Will definitely feel weird running a deck without any spells.

Alur

That's actually a good point. Really the only thing I use arrows for is against princess or lava pups and miner can take out princess and give an elixir advantage. Going to try it out.

Will definitely feel weird running a deck without any spells.

You're a bit better player than I am (your trophy high is like 3600+ and mine is 3500+) but I felt the same way as what you're describing.

I ran RG/barbs/minions/zap/elixir collector/ice wizard/princess/arrows and saw my exact same deck on Wizra's stream with miner instead of arrows give him a good run while he was playing his regular triple legendary/mini pekka deck that lots of people use in tournaments. I kind of went through the same thought process as you. "Oh yeah, Miner can get Princess AND Elixir Collectors" and I topped my previous trophy high by about 100 this past season. Once I hit it I stopped playing ladder for the last 6 days. :D

I will note I do still have zap though and you don't, so I don't know how that would play out. Zap is stupid OP and needs a nerf.

hollomat

Banned
You're a bit better player than I am (your trophy high is like 3600+ and mine is 3500+) but I felt the same way as what you're describing.

I ran RG/barbs/minions/zap/elixir collector/ice wizard/princess/arrows and saw my exact same deck on Wizra's stream with miner instead of arrows give him a good run while he was playing his regular triple legendary/mini pekka deck that lots of people use in tournaments. I kind of went through the same thought process as you. "Oh yeah, Miner can get Princess AND Elixir Collectors" and I topped my previous trophy high by about 100 this past season. Once I hit it I stopped playing ladder for the last 6 days. :D

I will note I do still have zap though and you don't, so I don't know how that would play out. Zap is stupid OP and needs a nerf.

My issue with zap is I'm not sure where it would fit into my deck and also, I'm absolutely terrible with it. I've never run it in a deck, but I've tried experimenting with it in some tournaments and I'm never sure when to use it.

That's what I really like about the tournaments though. I can experiment with cards I rarely use and test them out without having to spend a ton of gold and time leveling them.

I'm going to give it a shot with miner relaxing arrows and see how it works out. I've been fine without zap so far and arrows I really only use on princess so miner should theoretically work even better.

Alur

That's why I dig the tourneys too.

I went through three tournaments last week trying to make Giant/Balloon/Lumberjack wombo combo work. Got 5th in a two hour tourney with it, felt good man. The next tournament everyone had buildings and it was no contest =/.

I also tried to make a miner deck work with lumberjack but he's just not good enough. I can only assume he'll get a buff. I hope they find a way to make log more viable as well, since it's so hilarious to see it being used. I'm afraid the only way that can happen is if zap takes a nerf, though.

If I saw a miner in the shop... I would definitely buy it.

What's the word on the tournies? In about an hour or so I want to make one so if that conflicts with someone else's plans, tell me now.

- Boomclap

hollomat

Banned
No tourneys in GAF either. I think everyone is in the same boat as you right now, waiting for our tourney chests from the killer tourney to open.

Alur

That feel when the Lumberjack bass drops:

WqmTKEH.gif

hollomat

Banned
What has been the standard? 2H prep, 2D tourney? Or do we want 1D?

- Boomclap

Your tourney your rules.

Once I get to 500 gems, I'm planning doing a 1 hour tourney, but posting here well in advance to give everyone a heads up on the timing of it. I like the longer tourneys for being able to try a variety of decks, but I don't like how the winner is determined by whoever plays the most. It'll be nice to have one Neogaf tourney where it's short and sweet and the winner is simply whoever won the most.

spyder_ur

Fair. I like a decently long tourney so without further ado:

Come one, come all to the GAF Killer Waffle Taco Tourney #JU222P quote for password.

Gotta love the whole Clash Royale is doing the doxxing for others....

Thanks. Since people want a shorter tourney we might as well stop this one now. Whoever happens to be at the top right now is declared the winner. Deal?

I like a longer tourney. Two days might be pushing it, but since the rewards are garbage anyways I like to play just so I have a spot for games outside of the ladder.

By the way people keep putting their tourney tag in reference to tournaments. How do you search by that anyways? The one with #.

Top Bottom