• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.
image16.jpg

Cloverfield Manga. Seems connected to the ARG, but since I can't read it I don't really know. Could be Jamie and Teddy's story...

image9.jpg

http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/mag/ace/

You can read it here: http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/tachiyomi/comic/cloverfield/

Anyone feel like Translating? Or reading and summarizing?

After tonights screenings, impressions are kind of mixed. I read something pretty good that will help set your expectations accordingly:

This is a movie about an EVENT, and NOT a movie about a monster. The monster isn't charming, isn't well defined, doesn't have many memorable traits outside of its freaky appearance...to call it an icon akin to Kong or Godzilla is totally off for sure. It's simply not meant to be that.

Anyone get to see it tonight?

Pretty good (virtually spoiler-free) review up here.

It's necessary to cut through the hype to get to the real Cloverfield. I'm not sure the way it is being marketed does it justice. The movie is interesting because it's so damn different. It takes a worn concept and invigorates it by applying an innovative approach. The style will anger and offend some viewers but, if you're able to accommodate the camera, the movie delivers. There are moments of high tension and the sense of danger feels closer and more real than in any recent motion picture. The missteps - the greatest of which is the interminable introduction - are forgivable because the payoff is strong. In some ways, Cloverfield gives the impression of having been produced on a low budget, but the special effects are first rate. The monster and the devastation it causes look real. We believe. And, ultimately, that's the reason why Cloverfield works - because this film takes you into the heart of the maelstrom and leaves you there.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Reviews are in and almost all (with the exception of one) of my reliable sources say this film is sweet as hell.

JdFoX187

Banned
topsyturvy said:
friend of mine said the movie was shit when she seen it. she liked spider man 3 by the way. :(

What a disappointment. :/
Everyone else, for the most part, has loved it. All reviews from friends are going to be relative until the final critic reviews come out. And I still think this movie is going to be great. It'll be a love it or hate it movie.

Iamthegamer said:
Yea, your friend is a pretty sad individual.
The way she reviewed the movie sounds like it was pretty bad, She's the typical movie goer that gets excited over big sequels and shit. she said basically that it was so "fake" in situations and acting. The way she put it sounds like the ultimate myspace/social advertisement. :/

SUPREME1

Banned
I wanted to watch it opening weekedn, but this nasty cold will keep me away for a little while longer.

I read the spoiler review(s) and I really do want to watch this.

acidviper

Banned
Iamthegamer said:
Reviews are in and almost all (with the exception of one) of my reliable sources say this film is sweet as hell.
57% tomatometer. Ouch looks like this one is a download

. . . off iTunes ofcourse.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
There are not enough reviews on RT to really call it yet, give it time.

And it's gotten a thumbs up from people I trust at AICN and CHUD, so I'm thinking it's pretty ace.

topsyturvy said:
friend of mine said the movie was shit when she seen it. she liked spider man 3 by the way. :(

What a disappointment. :/

I think her liking of Spider-man 3 says more about her taste than about Cloverfield's quality.

LM4sure

Banned
50% on rottentomatoes!! OUCH!!! I was afriad it would turn out to be shit. Looks like my fears were well founded. I'll skip it.

LM4sure said:
50% on rottentomatoes!! OUCH!!! I was afriad it would turn out to be shit. Looks like my fears were well founded. I'll skip it.

A 50% on RT doesn't mean shit. It just means that half the critics that have reviewed it liked it, and half didn't. I'm not giving you a math lesson obviously but that's what means. Don't look at it like a "grade."

LM4sure said:
It's pretty obvious that opinions will be VERY divided on this one, based on the style alone.

quick question for those that have seen it.

I'm gonna spoiler it just in case, but if I may ask for the answer to be a simple yes or no, I'd appreciate it. :D

The scene in the trailer of what looks like Marlena 'expanding' when the Hazmat guys are carrying her away- is that really happening or just some 'plastic tarp distortion' trick?

Thanks in advance.

TheJollyCorner said:
quick question for those that have seen it.

I'm gonna spoiler it just in case, but if I may ask for the answer to be a simple yes or no, I'd appreciate it. :D

The scene in the trailer of what looks like Marlena 'expanding' when the Hazmat guys are carrying her away- is that really happening or just some 'plastic tarp distortion' trick?

Thanks in advance.
Yeah thats happening. Doing full right up now.

Headsup: I loved it.

Also Heads up: The Star Trek Trailer was attached. It's hot.

TheJollyCorner said:
Really happening :(

Just got back from it. I really, really liked it. Maybe even loved it. Thankfully the love story wasn't too cheesy. A couple eye rolling moments, but bearable enough. Nothing particularly awful like in Lost, which i am extremely thankful for. The shaky cam definitely helped detract from the soapiness as well as a few funny lines from Hud. The characters were pretty bland for the most part. The main character being the usual interchangeable JJ Abrams style hero. Hud (the cameraman) and Marlena were the best characters. I wasn't the least bit surprised at
Marlena's death since it was spoiled in practically every teaser and trailer, but it was kind of unnerving. I didn't connect with any of the other characters, so the rest of the film was kind of a let down in that way

I am a fan of the 'shaky cam' style in lots of films, i find it more involving, and it was used to great effect here. I was tense for the majority of it and the action and special effects were pretty fantastic.
the bridge scene in particular was pretty awesome :O

The monster
was pretty much secondary to the girlfriend rescue plot, with some good glimpses here and there. Nothing is explained about it.
I preferred that, but i can see others being disappointed.

I thought it was definitely worth seeing at the movies.

Just got back from an Early screening and am going to write everything I remember.

It started out with a colored panel on the screen. The words "Multiple Sightings confirm: Case Designate Cloverfield"

I believe this all coincides with 1-18-08.com. The case file for the incident is called "Cloverfield". There's no real reason for that title in the movie, they never explain it. Think of this as a Project Bluebook esque deal.

It's footage from the military. It has a Confidential or something Watermark.

The Monster:

The pictures so far don't quite capture this thing. You see it throughout the movie, but you don't really get a good idea what it looks like until the money shot at the end. It's arms are lanky, and long. You see it swinging at things early on. Near the end you get a great pan up of the monster. The feet resemble Godzillas feet. Midway up you see small arms just kind of dangling there. Then the long arms. The head looked round. The face is mainly comprised of teeth. They bar like a bear trap. Its eyes are small and beady.

Looks like a creature from Resistance: Fall of Man (Only the head though): http://uk.gizmodo.com/resistance-fall-of-man1.jpg

And I think it might be a mutated Angler Fish (just for the teeth):
http://www.microbeworld.org/news/articles/images/anglerfish_noaa_001.jpg

It's origin is never mentioned. But if you watch at the end of the movie, you can see something fall into the water. You'll know the scene. It's the last shot where you can see a wide view of water. Slightly to the right of the middle. Something falls into the ocean. Could this be the birth of the monster?

Overall the movie was really amazing. It had great flow with flashbacks (The event is taping over whats on the tape. AKA the flash backs). The characters seemed like real people, and the acting was fluid. The movie balances humor and carnage in a great way.

I was beginning to worry when I saw those images of the monster, but it really doesn't compare to really anything else. As hyped as I was, it was not a letdown.

I loved it.

EDIT: Also, the reason I got to see this. I got a call from my friend who's sister works as a manager at the theater. They had to test the film for any breaks in it. I got to see them putting the reel on the projector, and it said L5-Cloverfield-L5. He and I went in and were the only ones there. Private theater, behind the scenes, and seeing it early, all added up to a sweet night. Once it ended we shut down the theater, and in her office I saw some posters that were going to be going up. Once was a Cloverfield poster. I asked about it and she gave me an extra:

0117080007.jpg

"This is going to be the best night ever"

MIMIC

Banned
My friend works at a movie theater and got to see a screener of it. Her status on Facebook says: Jill is recovering from watching cloverfield :(

I have no idea what that means. :lol Maybe it scared the poop out of her

Buttonbasher said:
There's no real reason for that title in the movie, they never explain it. Think of this as a Project Bluebook esque deal.

damn... so my theories about some strange Irish overtones don't seem to have any weight. :(

NotWii

Banned
Just saw it today (Australia)

Colour me impressed, very INTENSE and realistic movie with phony acting kept to a minimum. I absolutely hate shaky cam, but it works well in the film.

Plot/Ending spoiler
The idea that the event is 'taped over' really drives the emotional part of the film
There is no epilogue, but I think that it's better this way

Monster description spoiler

****/*****
2008 for movies is off to a great start

kamikaze

Prince of Space said:
Pretty good (virtually spoiler-free) review up here.

t's necessary to cut through the hype to get to the real Cloverfield. I'm not sure the way it is being marketed does it justice. The movie is interesting because it's so damn different. It takes a worn concept and invigorates it by applying an innovative approach. The style will anger and offend some viewers but, if you're able to accommodate the camera, the movie delivers. There are moments of high tension and the sense of danger feels closer and more real than in any recent motion picture. The missteps - the greatest of which is the interminable introduction - are forgivable because the payoff is strong. In some ways, Cloverfield gives the impression of having been produced on a low budget, but the special effects are first rate. The monster and the devastation it causes look real. We believe. And, ultimately, that's the reason why Cloverfield works - because this film takes you into the heart of the maelstrom and leaves you there.

saw an early screening and think this is sums up my thoughts nicely.

polg

I just came back from the cinema and thought it was amazing.

What does it say at the end, after the credits? or is it just non-sense? (has this been discussed already? I haven't been checking the thread since the spoiler warning :D)

sun-drop

thumbs way way up .... the guy HUD, wth the cam ..funny as shit.

but really great movie.

i too would like to know what was said after the credits end ..like the last bit of audio from recording. couldn't make it out though.

I have seen spoilers of the monster because I don't care really. My question is do they try to explain where it came from, because
that thing looks the opposite of aquatic.

Edit If it is supposed to be
aquatic
:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom