• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
idahoblue said:
There's already spoilers akimbo at unFiction, I'm done with most of the internet until I've seen it.
...And my weakness for spoilers continues. I read them.

A lot I'd already figured out, but the monster description (and the "surprisingly accurate" sketch someone made based off of it) is VERY surprising. Not what I was expecting at all, though I'll have to see it in action before I can judge it. I hope that the ARG will continue after the movie is over to provide "official post-disaster explanations," government investigations, etc. to give us more backstory, especially if the movie never goes into that stuff (as many people had guessed, viral stuff like Tagruato and Slusho! isn't mentioned).

Still, sounds like the movie's strength isn't the mysterious monster gimmick that people were worried it was relying on, but the actual character dynamics.

I'm still anticipating this. A movie like this is so great, because some of these scenes he mentions sound EXACTLY like the kind of situation that'd happen in a nightmare involving a giant monster. That surreal feeling as you stand aside and observe this huge thing going about its business, terrified that it might look around and see you.

Crushed said:
...And my weakness for spoilers continues. I read them.

A lot I'd already figured out, but the monster description (and the "surprisingly accurate" sketch someone made based off of it) is VERY surprising. Not what I was expecting at all, though I'll have to see it in action before I can judge it. I hope that the ARG will continue after the movie is over to provide "official post-disaster explanations," government investigations, etc. to give us more backstory, especially if the movie never goes into that stuff (as many people had guessed, viral stuff like Tagruato and Slusho! isn't mentioned).

Still, sounds like the movie's strength isn't the mysterious monster gimmick that people were worried it was relying on, but the actual character dynamics.

I'm still anticipating this. A movie like this is so great, because some of these scenes he mentions sound EXACTLY like the kind of situation that'd happen in a nightmare involving a giant monster. That surreal feeling as you stand aside and observe this huge thing going about its business, terrified that it might look around and see you.
Seems like the monster description is legit. Not sure how I feel about it. Sounds pretty awful the way the person described it.

ManaByte

eXxy said:
AICN has seen it; the review is absolutely glowing. HYPE INCREASING, DESPITE KNOWLES.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35236

This is a handheld camera movie – knowing this and knowing not to sit too close is probably a good thing… but having said that… you can’t sit far enough from the screen to feel safe. As many of you people know, I am in a wheelchair – and while watching movies, I have my breaks on. There was one moment, so unexpected and so intense that I went 3 ft back.

Ok, how long until Harry is on the news because he weighs 1,000lbs and is being removed from his house via a forklift?

SUPREME1

Banned
I'VE GOT IT!

Beth is in a cloverfield! That's probably all she gets to say before the phone goes dead!

/thread over!

El Papa

I think this is my official exit from this thread until I've seen the movie, hope it rocks. See you guys on the 18th.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Buttonbasher said:
The monster description is okay I guess. The talk of the face in the UnFiction part was what has me worried.
I think it sounds kind of cool.
Voldemort mixed with Predator! Not what I was expecting, but could be neat.

Olivier

Buttonbasher said:
The monster description is okay I guess. The talk of the face in the UnFiction part was what has me worried.

It sounds great, in my humble opinion.
I was worried it might be some sort of generic lizard-like monster.

Olivier said:
It sounds great, in my humble opinion.
I was worried it might be some sort of generic lizard-like monster.
Oh I'm glad it's different, and it's grown on me. Just the dude on UnFiction's description paints quite a strange picture. I'm all for different though.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
eXxy said:
I just won tickets to an advanced screening on Tuesday. FUCK YEAH :)
So we should check Gamevideos for footage any day now. Best of all, Paramount won't be able to load the site to see if it's there.

I got some movie passes on Christmas and i'm going to use them to watch Cloverfield. The problem is that no one I know has any taste and wants to come with.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Crushed said:
So we should check Gamevideos for footage any day now. Best of all, Paramount won't be able to load the site to see if it's there.

Haha, no way I'm risking getting kicked out of the theater.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
_leech_ said:
I got some movie passes on Christmas and i'm going to use them to watch Cloverfield. The problem is that no one I know has any taste and wants to come with.
Really? EVERYONE i know wants to see this movie. That never happens. It's actually quite bizarre.

JCX

Tr4nce said:
Ehm, any impressions?

I'll prefeace by saying there will obviously be spoilers

It starts off pretty slow and focuses on the character relationships. Whern the monster finally first attacks, the focus is still on the love story. The shaky cam wasn't as annoying as I expected it to be. It definitely got better as the movie went on. You could tell that the monster wasn't really the focus of the movie because the reveal happens towards the middle of the movie instead of the end. I think that picture of the monster posted on the page before is pretty good, but from what I saw, it looked thinner. The smaller, zergling-like monsters appear after falling off the main big monster.

Overall, it was good, but not great. The opening states that the tape was recovered by the government from what was once central park, so you know when and where they die at. One of my friends thinks that cloverfield sequels will just be different audio recovered from NYC on that night. My biggest complaint is that you never know what exactly the monster is or why it attacks.

If anyone has a more specific question, I'll try to answer it.

Eric P

i think that's the whole point of the ARG, to fill in that backstory

people on the ground trying to survive/ find someone wouldn't get that information, and as stated in the teaser trailers "if you're watching this you know more about what happened than we do"

Eric P said:
i think that's the whole point of the ARG, to fill in that backstory

people on the ground trying to survive/ find someone wouldn't get that information, and as stated in the teaser trailers "if you're watching this you know more about what happened than we do"
Yeah. The monster was asleep underwater, and was awaken by the sounds of drilling. It got pissed, and messed up the drilling station. It couldn't get back to sleep so it goes wandering (Not sure, maybe following something) and finds itself in New York. Everyone starts shooting at it and it's just scared.

It really wouldn't fit for there to be a scientist that pops out to explain "His name is Tortuga, and he is a mutated creature due to the effects of deep sea drilling!" As long as the characters don't know what it is, the viewer won't. Thats part of what makes the movie special.

Sure it could make the viewer upset, but keeping in mind that it's supposed to be found footage, maybe they'll go looking and discover the ARG stuff too.

The following is a spoiler.
What's this talk I hear of the movie taking place in May? It would totally mess with what the ARG had established for time frame. Rob get's hired by Slusho! where they want him to go work, right away, so he waits 5 months? That doesn't make much sense. I'm fine that they don't mention Slusho, or Tagruato in the movie, but the timeframe part of the ARG was kind of important. I mean, it's not like the ARG player won't see little things that everyone else will miss, but the whole time frame thing...

I actually think the ARG wasn't going to go this deep from the beginning. But since 1-18-09.com and Slusho.jp were being paired with Ethan Haas (Another ARG, far more disappointing), I think they thought they needed to do more. I'm impressed by their efforts but if key things are not really going together I'm kinda upset.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Hopefully it's as good as Gears of War, where back story wasn't really needed to get enjoyment out of it.

dark_chris

did anyone see the tv trailer? Its new. I saw it on G4. It showed the monster more. I am not looking at spoiler tags. >.<

Buttonbasher said:
I actually think the ARG wasn't going to go this deep from the beginning. But since 1-18-09.com and Slusho.jp were being paired with Ethan Haas (Another ARG, far more disappointing), I think they thought they needed to do more. I'm impressed by their efforts but if key things are not really going together I'm kinda upset.
There is no way I believe, after seeing the footage of the oil rig collapse from the life raft, that is wasn't planned out entirely. They did WAY too much to have decided on it late in production.

What pisses me off is that the whole ARG seems to be no filling in story, but purposefully misleading us to keep the picture a surprise. I mean FFS, the whole Seabed nectar shit, why the fuck does it even exist? From JJ's production notes that were release and some spoilers, it apparent that the monster
was already around and was woken up
, so Why the fuck did the ARG make it look like it might have been created or changed by the nectar? I mean they elude to and eventually reveal in the ARG this mystery substance; It comes from the sea, its unlike anything else, its 'makes' you happy, its possibly addictive, its cause increased strength and soft tissue growth, it has to be drilled from the ocean by a rig (remember there is no oil there supposedly), and the TIDO group thinks that Tagruato is making something on that rig (that why they went out there). They even have Nom Nom Nom girl eating the shit and from what I understand
she is basically not even in the movie (seen once passed out on a couch)
. I wasn't expecting some crazy shock mystery ending like some people did for some reasons, but I'm still expecting some massive payoff to the ARG. Hope it still comes.

Unless there is a sequel that will focus on the cause, or a bunch more ARG stuff of the aftermath, this seems like a simple hype machine and not one of the coolest movie tie-ins ever, which I honestly thought. Its been really cool and kind of creepy going through all the info.

Glad to hear the shaky cam isn't that bad, maybe I can actually go see it with feeling ill.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
BobTheFork said:
There is no way I believe, after seeing the footage of the oil rig collapse from the life raft, that is wasn't planned out entirely. They did WAY too much to have decided on it late in production.

What pisses me off is that the whole ARG seems to be no filling in story, but purposefully misleading us to keep the picture a surprise. I mean FFS, the whole Seabed nectar shit, why the fuck does it even exist? From JJ's production notes that were release and some spoilers, it apparent that the monster
was already around and was woken up
, so Why the fuck did the ARG make it look like it might have been created or changed by the nectar? I mean they elude to and eventually reveal in the ARG this mystery substance; It comes from the sea, its unlike anything else, its 'makes' you happy, its possibly addictive, its cause increased strength and soft tissue growth, it has to be drilled from the ocean by a rig (remember there is no oil there supposedly), and the TIDO group thinks that Tagruato is making something on that rig (that why they went out there). They even have Nom Nom Nom girl eating the shit and from what I understand
she is basically not even in the movie (seen once passed out on a couch)
. I wasn't expecting some crazy shock mystery ending like some people did for some reasons, but I'm still expecting some massive payoff to the ARG. Hope it still comes.

Unless there is a sequel that will focus on the cause, or a bunch more ARG stuff of the aftermath, this seems like a simple hype machine and not one of the coolest movie tie-ins ever, which I honestly thought. Its been really cool and kind of creepy going through all the info.

Glad to hear the shaky cam isn't that bad, maybe I can actually go see it with feeling ill.

I bet the ARG will explain all that.

I hope it's not just "oh they woke it up with drilling and the Nectar is its food." I mean, I could see why they'd go with that, it makes sense if they're making it a classic monster movie, just from a totally new angle. But I hope the backstory is more creative; i.e., like the stuff is actually some kind of poop or excretion that the thing makes, maybe even a parasite (like an ancient extraterrestrial tapeworm) that uses the monster to spread its mutaty offspring in the form of the Nectar.

Crushed said:
I bet the ARG will explain all that.

I hope it's not just "oh they woke it up with drilling and the Nectar is its food." I mean, I could see why they'd go with that, it makes sense if they're making it a classic monster movie, just from a totally new angle. But I hope the backstory is more creative; i.e., like the stuff is actually some kind of poop or excretion that the thing makes, maybe even a parasite (like an ancient extraterrestrial tapeworm) that uses the monster to spread its mutaty offspring in the form of the Nectar.
Possibly, I hope they put as much into the answers as they did with all these questions. It seems like they really want to create a different experience for people who fallow the ARG. I just wish they put more parts of the ARG into the movie (aside from a t-shirt). I don't think it would have hurt casual viewers and it would have been great for all the people who have building the hype.

My greatest hope up until it was confirmed the monster took out the oil rig wasthat somehow an OD of the nectar at the site had mutated Teddy or someone else and they were the monster, I heard allot of talk about the human having a 'human like' face

Maggot9

Banned
JCX9 said:

It starts off pretty slow and focuses on the character relationships. Whern the monster finally first attacks, the focus is still on the love story. The shaky cam wasn't as annoying as I expected it to be. It definitely got better as the movie went on. You could tell that the monster wasn't really the focus of the movie because the reveal happens towards the middle of the movie instead of the end. I think that picture of the monster posted on the page before is pretty good, but from what I saw, it looked thinner. The smaller, zergling-like monsters appear after falling off the main big monster.

Overall, it was good, but not great. The opening states that the tape was recovered by the government from what was once central park, so you know when and where they die at. One of my friends thinks that cloverfield sequels will just be different audio recovered from NYC on that night. My biggest complaint is that you never know what exactly the monster is or why it attacks.

If anyone has a more specific question, I'll try to answer it.
Why did I read this?

BobTheFork said:
Possibly, I hope they put as much into the answers as they did with all these questions. It seems like they really want to create a different experience for people who fallow the ARG. I just wish they put more parts of the ARG into the movie (aside from a t-shirt). I don't think it would have hurt casual viewers and it would have been great for all the people who have building the hype.

My greatest hope up until it was confirmed the monster took out the oil rig wasthat somehow an OD of the nectar at the site had mutated Teddy or someone else and they were the monster, I heard allot of talk about the human having a 'human like' face
Weird idea. I hope that the ARG actually will go on to explain connections after the movie. I'm really starting to wonder what the public reaction will be to the movie, because the monster isn't explained... Doubt many people will be happy.

Buttonbasher said:
Weird idea. I hope that the ARG actually will go on to explain connections after the movie. I'm really starting to wonder what the public reaction will be to the movie, because the monster isn't explained... Doubt many people will be happy.
Agreed. I know they have been trying to angle this as a different kind of monster movie. Honestly though, I don't think the average person who wants to see this based on the promos will be that thrilled about it being a love story that just happens to have a super monster running through it. IMO people don't usually react well to important plot detail being 'left to the imagination'.

BobTheFork said:
Agreed. I know they have been trying to angle this as a different kind of monster movie. Honestly though, I don't think the average person who wants to see this based on the promos will be that thrilled about it being a love story that just happens to have a super monster running through it. IMO people don't usually react well to important plot detail being 'left to the imagination'.
Yeah, most of the people I talk to are just excited about the monster. I start telling them about how some guy Rob is at his going away party, and his friends are all there, they seem to lose intrest. And if we never see the monster is from the water, it will look as if it just is in the city breaking stuff. I'm fine with the characters being the main focus, but the monster is also a character, and it should have at least some sort of explanation. Nothing super deep, just something that sheds enough light for the normal movie goer.

JCX9 said:

It starts off pretty slow and focuses on the character relationships. Whern the monster finally first attacks, the focus is still on the love story.
Yuck. Hype -1000. I don't want a monster movie dallied up with JJ Abrams-style romantic cheese. No thank you.

bengraven

Costanza said:
There's a screening tonight in Gainesville.

Florida?! Man, is there some local paper I'm supposed to be reading? I keep missing out on the good stuff since I've been down here.

Would have been SO on that... :(

Alpha_eX

I've got to wait longer to see this, UK gaffer, i'm out of this thread, thanks for the movie hype, can't wait to see it.

JdFoX187

Banned
I rather like this prospect of a monster movie. It's kind of similar to how Spielberg did War of the Worlds. Instead of showing everything about the tripods and the aliens from a world perspective, he focused on one person, or family. That's how Cloverfield is going to do this and that's what J.J. and everyone have been saying from day one.

This is a monster movie, through and through. But it's told from the perspectives of the actual people themselves who are experiencing it rather than from a global, or in this case, a city perspective. This isn't like Godzilla where there's a lot of stuff going on and people are trying to figure out how stop it. This is about a bunch of regular people who are just trying to survive. I think it'll work out a lot better than some may think.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Here's she is!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/DaCocoBrova/clover.jpg

Pretty damn cool, and terrifying at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom