• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis_

Everything about Cloverfield screams pet project to me. It seems that the makers wanted to make it ever since they became "on the scene" and now that they have, they'll let it die at a high point. (if that makes any sense >_>)

border

The studio will probably force a sequel, even if everyone involved in the original bows out. And just like those other sequels where the original writer/directors bailed (28 Weeks Later or Jaws 2 or Blair Witch 2), it will probably suck donkeys.

Iamthegamer said:
There's still plenty of room to tell other stories as well, not from just civilians, but news reporters, military, all that stuff.
I don't see the point. For one it'd just be a rehash of the great movie we already have. Additionally, I don't think this is the sort of approach that audiences will tolerate more than once when it seems really exciting and novel.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Regardless of whether we get a sequel, I'm glad to see the film has been a success. Abrams' sense of mystery is exactly my kind of thing, and I'm glad he'll be able to go forward with more pet projects in the future. :)

LowParry

I think it could use a sequel but not in a movie format way. Keep it the way it's presented. Told from a different viewer of the event. If the the monster is still alive, it could very well move inland to other major cities or what not. I would of liked to see how the crap it tore off Liberty's head and tossed it.

Cheebs

eXxy said:
Regardless of whether we get a sequel, I'm glad to see the film has been a success. Abrams' sense of mystery is exactly my kind of thing, and I'm glad he'll be able to go forward with more pet projects in the future. :)
Star Trek will probably keep him rather busy for quite a while if it is successful they will want him to direct a whole trilogy.

border

How does the scene with an object falling out of the sky make any sense, when in all these interviews Abrams has flat out said that the monster is some kind of prehistoric creature that has been living under the ocean? I've only been skimming over the Despoiler Wiki, but it looks like the entire backstory they've put together revolves around the monster being native to earth.

What a fucking awesome film, and was way better than I expected. There are too few movies these days that take chances with the "we're all fucked" plot synopsis.

Deku

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
Everything about Cloverfield screams pet project to me. It seems that the makers wanted to make it ever since they became "on the scene" and now that they have, they'll let it die at a high point. (if that makes any sense >_>)

Cloverfield is the kind of movie I want to make for myself. The monster attack city thing is just so well executed. I've done it to my own cities in Sim City but you know, you can't really switch camera angles and control the beast.

I'm not sure if it's a project for JJ's vanity, but it's just a movie most adult males on this planet wouldn't mind dabbling in. I know there's been some scathing attacks on the movie in this thread but it seems like an issue of misaligned expectations more than it being a terrible concept or even a terrible movie, because it isn't.

LowParry

border said:
How does the scene with an object falling out of the sky make any sense, when in all these interviews Abrams has flat out said that the monster is some kind of prehistoric creature that has been living under the ocean? I've only been skimming over the Despoiler Wiki, but it looks like the entire backstory they've put together revolves around the monster being native to earth.

This is true. I've read speculations of it being some sort of satalite that fell. But if that is the monster, the whole back history just blows up. I'm confused now.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Cheebs said:
Star Trek will probably keep him rather busy for quite a while if it is successful they will want him to direct a whole trilogy.

Abrams didn't direct this, either. He just had the originally idea and gave it to the right creative people. Same thing he did with LOST. In fact, most things seem to work better when Abrams comes up with the ideas and steps back.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
How can you say it leaves no room for a sequel? It leaves everything for a sequel! It explains nothing (which, for the first film, a good way to hook people in), it already has a huge ARG universe surrounding it (which I can't really imagine they built up for one single film), and millions of New Yorkers to base another refreshing story off of. As long as Reeves is back on board (which it seems like he would be), there's bound to be even more creative approaches for this kind of film.

Deku

Banned
Iamthegamer said:
How can you say it leaves no room for a sequel? It leaves everything for a sequel! It explains nothing (which, for the first film, a good way to hook people in), it already has a huge ARG universe surrounding it (which I can't really imagine they built up for one single film), and millions of New Yorkers to base another refreshing story off of. As long as Reeves is back on board (which it seems like he would be), there's bound to be even more creative approaches for this kind of film.

I hope so. The 'parallel' story arcs seems the most promising but I'm still skeptical if there will be the stomach for another shaky cam sequel. Cloverfield is in many ways a gimmick so if you do it twice it could overstay its welcome.

A chronological sequel would be even worse.

I liked this movie, so we'll see. I think a sequel in the context of parallel story lines in new york might be better served as a 'bonus' to the home video release but I know that's not going to happen either. lol.

Iamthegamer said:
How can you say it leaves no room for a sequel? It leaves everything for a sequel! It explains nothing (which, for the first film, a good way to hook people in)

Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should. The film is great all by itself, especially considering the final two minutes. A sequel would be a terrible idea.

border said:

My guess is that it had something on it, or in it, that woke the "monster".

CcrooK said:
Just go here: http://cloverfield.despoiler.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

There's a lot of background story going on with this movie. And it seems to be still going on. Being another blog video that was posted. I think we're gonna see this continue on within the viral market. I mean hell, there's a freakin manga for it. Which doesn't make sense at all.
I'm not so sure actually. Seems like its all done. Slusho.jp is still up, but TIDOWave was "Locked" by the government, and Tagruato has gone offline. The new Jamie and Teddy video is her saying she's done, and going to a party Lily's putting on. Unless she has a follow up one post the event in the movie.

The Manga is really all thats left. It could explain the monster though.

Cheebs said:
And the film isn't about a monster.

Bullshit.

If it wasn't about the monster the promotional materials would have shown us the monster plain as day and there would have been no massive anticipation to see the monster reveal on opening day; which is what spurred ticket sales.

So, tell me again how this isn't a monster pr0n movie. :lol :lol :lol

Did anybody else have an audience that was vocally pissed at the end of the movie? It happened in my theater. Americans don't want anything other than a happy ending. :D

Oh, and there were some folks taking written polls. One of the questions was something along the lines of "where did you hear about the movie online", to which I wrote in neogaf.com :p

Cheebs

The Take Out Bandit said:
Bullshit.

If it wasn't about the monster the promotional materials would have shown us the monster plain as day and there would have been no massive anticipation to see the monster reveal on opening day; which is what spurred ticket sales.

So, tell me again how this isn't a monster pr0n movie. :lol :lol :lol

Did anybody else have an audience that was vocally pissed at the end of the movie? It happened in my theater. Americans don't want anything other than a happy ending. :D

Oh, and there were some folks taking written polls. One of the questions was something along the lines of "where did you hear about the movie online", to which I wrote in neogaf.com :p
the ads were but not the movie. the monster was in it for what 5 minutes? 90% of the movie is the people talking to eachother. And most of the time they werent even talking about the monster.

Cheebs said:
the ads were but not the movie. the monster was in it for what 5 minutes? 90% of the movie is the people talking to eachother. And most of the time they werent even talking about the monster.

Doesn't matter... the movie is still about the monster because the monster is driving the story. He/she sets everything in motion and the main characters of the movie are reacting to the things it does (kills the brother, marlena, hurts beth, ect)...

Flynn

Nemesis556 said:
Everything about Cloverfield screams pet project to me.

I think you're right there. No studio would voluntarily develop an experimentally shot disaster picture. They'd make the American Godzilla again, which is exactly what most of Cloverfield's critics are crying for and is, of course, unabashed garbage.

I think it's pretty telling what kind of pictures J.J. Abrams is getting behind as he gets more and more clout. I'm glad somebody is doing it.

Zozz

Banned
Like the interview said, it would not be a sequel to the story it it could just be another group of people that were there when this attack happened.

I would love that, I think the mistery of this monster is what people are drawn to and I wouldn't like to hear too much on but I wouldn't mind either. It would be pretty cool if the people from cloverfield 1 and 2 would meet paths.

Karma Kramer said:
Doesn't matter... the movie is still about the monster because the monster is driving the story. He/she sets everything in motion and the main characters of the movie are reacting to the things it does (kills the brother, marlena, hurts beth, ect)...

Is the story in Private Ryan the World War, or the fact that they need to save Private Ryan?

Is the story in Finding Nemo the fact that they are fish, or they way he is trying to find his son?

Apharmd

The way I saw it, I was drawn in by the mystery of the monster, and stayed for the thrill ride.

So really, what can they do for a second film? They can't do shit. Sure they could get a different set of people, but they were already desperate in extending the film ride by having Rob etc. go back for Beth. And a military/news coverage of Cloverfield doesn't sound that great, really. No way they could make a GOOD hour-long movie out of the same New York material.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/10927

On sequels Reeves confirmed rumors, but was quick to set them aside. “Only time will tell. While we were on set making the film we talked about the possibilities and directions of how a sequel can go. The fun of this movie was that it might not have been the only movie being made that night, there might be another movie! In today’s day and age of people filming their lives on their iphones and handy cams, uploading it to youtube…That was kind of exciting thinking about that.”

A sequel can be made very easily.

esbern

eXxy said:
Maybe the sequel would follow a group that got away from New York, and saw the monster's continued rampage?

no. boring.

it'll be a cop or a firefighter or an EMS response team. somebody that will put us right into the debate about whether or not they should nuke NY.

eXxy said:
Maybe the sequel would follow a group that got away from New York, and saw the monster's continued rampage?
I would be cool if they did another in the form of a documentary. Interview people that were actually there, offer more info about the monster, splice other peoples footage from the night in.

You know that would make a great feature for the DVD's special features...

Christopher

I'm not even joking/kidding I threw up from this movie in the aisle, I was so embarassed...I just couldn't take it anymore.

p.s. Beth was HOT god damn

Littleberu said:
Is the story in Private Ryan the World War, or the fact that they need to save Private Ryan?

Is the story in Finding Nemo the fact that they are fish, or they way he is trying to find his son?

I'd say the main difference being Saving Private Ryan, Finding Nemo, and any other random movie you can throw at us were better paced. Not being filmed in "real time" permits time for the viewer to get familiar with the characters, motivations, and develop a fondness for them.

Cloverfield is really shallow in that regard.

I really didn't give a shit about any character in the movie that wasn't the monster. I was there to see NYC get wrecked and people get pwned.

And no, setting up MySpace pages and shit outside of a movie isn't going to help the viewer develop any sort of affinity toward any character.

Cloverfield is good for what it is, but it's hardly a milestone in character development.

I wouldn't mind a sequel, or just another kaiju movie of this variety which takes place in the heart of the action for 90 minutes as opposed to cutting away for less chaotic interludes. I'm here to see shit get wrecked, bitches! :p

Firestorm

Yeah, only way I can see a sequel is as a parallel story as well. Maybe even someone who had a run-in with the 4 in this movie.

And no, best line was
Hud's homeless person line

mr stroke

Saw the movie last night and was very impressed, I went in thinking it was going to be a flop, but was very pleased. Acting wasn't very solid and there wasn't much there to make me care about any of the characters, but I think this and the way its shot is what makes the movie work so well. Loved the ending too...

johnny_park said:
Matt Reeves said he is thinking about a sequel. He basically said that these people can't be the only one making a video that night.

I think making a "mocumentary" with news clips, and hand held cam shots would work very well.

LowParry

mr stroke said:
Saw the movie last night and was very impressed, I went in thinking it was going to be a flop, but was very pleased. Acting wasn't very solid and there wasn't much there to make me care about any of the characters, but I think this and the way its shot is what makes the movie work so well. Loved the ending too...

I think making a "mocumentary" with news clips, and hand held cam shots would work very well.

I think if they did like a "News Special" say 2 years after the incident would be something of a good follow up. Where we'd see people interviewed. Reasoning behind the monster, conspiracy theroies and so on.

eXxy said:
Abrams didn't direct this, either. He just had the originally idea and gave it to the right creative people. Same thing he did with LOST. In fact, most things seem to work better when Abrams comes up with the ideas and steps back.
You obviously haven't seen Alias. He provided the ideas for each season and never delivered on them. It was actually pretty similar to Lost's style of storytelling. It had an ongoing mythology that continued to tease (It even had the number 47 mysteriously placed wherever they could.) and never delivered on its promise. The wrap up to the mythology that had been building for years was mindblowingly bad.

Deku

Banned
CcrooK said:
I think if they did like a "News Special" say 2 years after the incident would be something of a good follow up. Where we'd see people interviewed. Reasoning behind the monster, conspiracy theroies and so on.

It would be of interest to the fans, which would mean it would be a 'great' bonus 'feature film' but probably a straight to DVD release or packaged as part of a special edition cloverfield set but not as a standalone movie.

It could confuse /bore people who just want to be entertained.

mr stroke

I think I might have to rub one out to "beth"(Odette Yustman)
damn who knew this girl was so damn hot :0 and where did she come from?

pre2.jpg

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Wouldn't a sequel using the same style with another set of characters be boring? It seems like this type of movie is best for a "one and out" type of thing. I wouldn't want them to risk going to the well again and bringing down everything. If you care about the quality of a film, the last thing you usually want to root for is a sequel.

Cheebs said:
Because it makes money it needs a sequel? wtf? This is not a film built for a sequel at all. The whole appeal is it answers no questions.

And the film isn't about a monster. It's about Rob and the quest for his girl. It just so happens to take place during a monster attack. There is no way to continue that story. Which is *the* story of cloverfield.
They could shoot it as a regular fucking movie and not the piece of shit I saw last night.

What the hell? Damn, I was dissapointed... I thought it would be like 9/11 and be from different viewpoints/cameras documenting what was happening. But no... fuck I'm not happy about that movie. It had so much potential.

LukeSmith

CcrooK said:

I'd like to see a sequel that is essentially the spirit of the book World War Z, but with the subject material being "the Cloverfield Incident" rather than the Zombie Apocalypse.

Wasn't there two monsters though? The one at the end looked new and unharmed... they could make a sequal (shot like a regular fucking movie) based on that maybe?

Or... leave it alone? Damn, this movie spelled dissapointment in the first 20 minutes.

LowParry

BlackGoku03 said:
They could shoot it as a regular fucking movie and not the piece of shit I saw last night.

What the hell? Damn, I was dissapointed... I thought it would be like 9/11 and be from different viewpoints/cameras documenting what was happening. But no... fuck I'm not happy about that movie. It had so much potential.

If this had been another regular movie, it would of bombed hard. Thank god it wasn't.

LowParry

LukeSmith said:
I'd like to see a sequel that is essentially the spirit of the book World War Z, but with the subject material being "the Cloverfield Incident" rather than the Zombie Apocalypse.

True that. Although with a movie like this, there's so many ways it can go. Good and bad. Let's just hope JJ has something up his sleeve that will surprize us in a second round of this roller coaster of fun. It was one damn fun ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom