• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flynn

Captain Pants said:
I loved the movie. I think my favorite thing was that the characters weren't motivated by anything other than trying to help someone out. In most monster movies you have some bullshit character that is out to stop the monster. It was refreshing to just experience a giant monster attack through the eyes of someone who wasn't out to save the world.

Also nice: No 10-minute scene in some kind of science headquarters or miltary base where people spew pseudo science.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Flynn said:
Also nice: No 10-minute scene in some kind of science headquarters or miltary base where people spew pseudo science.

So true. I don't need to know where my monsters come from. The fact that it is an entirely unknown entity makes it much scarier than if they try to make it explainable through science.

teddyboi

Banned
Movie kicked ass. Saw it today. Felt like a theme-park ride. I didn't know what the fuck it was going to be about...i thought it was gonna be an earthquake movie or some off-brand disaster movie. Me and my girl ate and just decided to go see it because we were bored. Great fucking decision.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
teddyboi said:
Movie kicked ass. Saw it today. Felt like a theme-park ride. I didn't know what the fuck it was going to be about...i thought it was gonna be an earthquake movie or some off-brand disaster movie. Me and my girl ate and just decided to go see it because we were bored. Great fucking decision.

I wish I could have gone in completely fresh like that. I'm addicted to spoilers, and I had to find out about the movie before I went to see it.

Captain Pants said:
I wish I could have gone in completely fresh like that. I'm addicted to spoilers, and I had to find out about the movie before I went to see it.

Yeah I'm glad I didn't know crap about this movie. One of my friends called me and just told me to go see it, so I did. It was badass.

read this elsewhere
From some other source
"Hi guys. I'm going to explain the movie for you since I actually paid attention to the viral marketing.

Slusho is a drink made from an undersea lifeform/nectar/entity. It isn't known exactly what this ingredient is, all that is known is that the creator of Slusho had a dream about finding it and evolving from a small fish to a huge whale.

Slusho. Bet you can't drink just six. Such a challenge would implicate that the product is hugely popular all across the world, yes? Yes.

The creature itself feeds on the Slusho material, which possibly caused it to evolve to it's current state. Or, retardedly, it could TURN OUT TO BE MAN or something of that sort. In any event, Cloverfield loves Slusho. A combination of undersea mining (Chuai incident, go to youtube) and the satellite crash causes it to become disturbed to some extent.

It walks into New York and goes HMM I SMELL DELICIOUS FOODS. The Slusho material continues to exist in people when consumed. It smells and starts to consume people. Here's a hint: look at the way Cloverfield and the parasites (which I assume are either smaller, un-Slusho-evolved forms or some sort of remora eel type creature) eat people. When they first go into the quarantine type area, they see a person whose stomach has been eaten. Hud's lower body is consumed, and Cloverfield spits out the rest of it. Marlena inflates from the stomach.

It all comes back to the drink and whatever the fuck is in it."

"Rob was going to be the VP in charge of making Slusho americanized for, well America. Slusho was made by oil companies finding some seaweed or some shit on the ocean floor that tasted good at freezing temperatures. That same comapny has a satelite crash.

Meanwhile, a big monster that has lived peacefuly underwater has mining waking him up every morning. On top of that, he gets it in the head by a satelite. So he comes up on land and tells us all to STFU by knocking down everything.

The End."

still haven't seen it, but find the viral marketing/tie-ins pretty neat.

teddyboi

Banned
Captain Pants said:

Yea that sucks. I spoil myself with video games. Like to be suprised by the movies I go watch.

bggrthnjsus said:
read this elsewhere
From some other source
"Hi guys. I'm going to explain the movie for you since I actually paid attention to the viral marketing.

Slusho is a drink made from an undersea lifeform/nectar/entity. It isn't known exactly what this ingredient is, all that is known is that the creator of Slusho had a dream about finding it and evolving from a small fish to a huge whale.

Slusho. Bet you can't drink just six. Such a challenge would implicate that the product is hugely popular all across the world, yes? Yes.

The creature itself feeds on the Slusho material, which possibly caused it to evolve to it's current state. Or, retardedly, it could TURN OUT TO BE MAN or something of that sort. In any event, Cloverfield loves Slusho. A combination of undersea mining (Chuai incident, go to youtube) and the satellite crash causes it to become disturbed to some extent.

It walks into New York and goes HMM I SMELL DELICIOUS FOODS. The Slusho material continues to exist in people when consumed. It smells and starts to consume people. Here's a hint: look at the way Cloverfield and the parasites (which I assume are either smaller, un-Slusho-evolved forms or some sort of remora eel type creature) eat people. When they first go into the quarantine type area, they see a person whose stomach has been eaten. Hud's lower body is consumed, and Cloverfield spits out the rest of it. Marlena inflates from the stomach.

"Rob was going to be the VP in charge of making Slusho americanized for, well America. Slusho was made by oil companies finding some seaweed or some shit on the ocean floor that tasted good at freezing temperatures. That same comapny has a satelite crash.

Meanwhile, a big monster that has lived peacefuly underwater has mining waking him up every morning. On top of that, he gets it in the head by a satelite. So he comes up on land and tells us all to STFU by knocking down everything.

The End."

wat

Mason

bggrthnjsus said:
read this elsewhere
From some other source

The End."

I really hope that's not the real back story because it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

That sounds about right. I remember reading something similar to that a while ago before the movie even came out. I guess all the backstory was given through the viral marketing.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
That is the greatest story I have ever read.

The monster just got hungry and told us to shut up because he was trying to sleep.

just saw the movie and i liked it. i believe it accomplished its main goal, to keep people talking about it after they saw it.

i would have liked to no more about where the monster came from but i believe they will give more back story on the monster and stufff in the dvd release.

what better bonus feature could there be for the dvd than a news style epilogue that shows the aftermath of the bombing

Crushed

Fry Daddy
TheDuce22 said:
Makes sense to me. :lol
Seriously, it's not any stupider than a dinosaur whose species has lived unchanged on a small Japanese island for 65 million years being turned into a giant spined monster that shoots atomic beams by being hit with an atom bomb.

But I thought I also read somewhere that the monster was just a baby and he started attacking because he got woken up and didn't know wtf was going on. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Snidely Whiplash said:
But I thought I also read somewhere that the monster was just a baby and he started attacking because he got woken up and didn't know wtf was going on. Anybody know what I'm talking about?
It was in the production notes. But it also said that it was thousands of years old.

Maybe its species spends their early life in the ocean for thousands of years in a sleep-like state, and this one got woken up early?

Christopher said:
Does anyone remember the origins of the American Godzilla how they explained it?

Just copy and paste.

Same as the Japanese one, but instead of a dinosaur, it was the egg of a sea iguana/monitor lizard.

Mason said:
I really hope that's not the real back story because it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Yep, that's about the entire story. You don't disturb a bear while it's eating fish. You sure as fuck don't disturb a huge monster while it's eating it's nectar.

You ever suck dick for slusho? Cloverfield sucked dick for slusho.

Crushed said:
It was in the production notes. But it also said that it was thousands of years old.

Maybe its species spends their early life in the ocean for thousands of years in a sleep-like state, and this one got woken up early?
Seems possible.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
bggrthnjsus said:
read this elsewhere
From some other source

The End."

So... the whole movie was like the Popplers episode of Futurama....

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Again man, I kinda believe there was more than one. Would explain why it could move around the city easily. Why it was apparently so hard to kill. Why it seem to change shapes slightly. All that jazz.

bggrthnjsus said:
read this elsewhere
From some other source

The End."

:lol

Vyer

I actually thought the viral marketing for this was pretty well done.

The Slusho site is quite amusing.

Still, glad they didn't do the 'usual' thing and give us all the answers in the movie. Cooler still that they gave little nods to some of the viral stuff.

Nice tie ins.

effzee

Vyer said:
I actually thought the viral marketing for this was pretty well done.

The Slusho site is quite amusing.

Still, glad they didn't do the 'usual' thing and give us all the answers in the movie. Cooler still that they gave little nods to some of the viral stuff.

Nice tie ins.

what were the tie ins?

that backstory i posted earlier sort of fits with cloverfield.despoiler.org, so i dunno
i should probably just watch the movie, but i get motion sickness so i dunno if i'll even enjoy it

edit: man i really like stuff with viral tie-ins. it's such a good marketing ploy imo

bggrthnjsus said:
No they're not. They blow chunks. The actual explanation and the lame connections (Rob going to work for the company connected to awakening the monster :lol ) are almost Lost level of retarded. The movie works better with no knowledge that that gimmicky marketing crapola.

mosaic

go eat paint
bggrthnjsus said:
read this elsewhere...
It's silly, but, hey, it makes sense! And makes me wonder if I should stop drinking Slurpees so I don't get disembowled by a hungry Godzilla or its spider parasites.

Slush-O? More like Slush-NO!

TheDuce22

Banned
Spotless Mind said:
The actual explanation and the lame connections (Rob going to work for the company connected to awakening the monster :lol ) are almost Lost level of retarded.

How dare you sir. LOST = pure awesomeness.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
DaCocoBrova said:
The shakey cam was annoying as fuck.
Well. It was shot to purposefully give us a first person amaturish perspective analogous to The Blair Witch Project. It wouldn't have made sense if there were these perfectly still dolly shots. I mean, he's hauling ass through out the majority of the film, and I would wager holding the camera perfectly was the least of his worries.

That said, I think that was the least of this movies problem.

I hated it.

My hate begins and ends with the characters. I know I was supposed to feel tension and suspense, but that all got lost when the main characters (who seemed to be on loan from The OC), made every retarded and unrealistic descision imagineable when faced with a terrifying (well, not really) monster.

The plot of the film featured a terribly concieved love story played out seemingly in the background, while the moster (which is supposedly the major pull of the film) becomes a device to let the romance play out. The movie was well done in a lot of places I will give it that, but when it all boils down to one of JJ Abrams typical, cheesy love stories, all i can do is sigh. Repeatedly.

And now I read that the movie was primarily a marketing ploy for a new drink? Oh my God.

Spotless Mind said:
No they're not. They blow chunks. The actual explanation and the lame connections (Rob going to work for the company connected to awakening the monster :lol ) are almost Lost level of retarded. The movie works better with no knowledge that that gimmicky marketing crapola.
i bet you hate rube goldberg devices

It made me feel a bit woozy. Not enough info was revealed, leaving the need for another film from about the same events from a different perspective, or an epilogue at the very least. So it was unsatisfying in that regard. The bridge sequence was too quick to even see that
the brother had died

Anyways, it was nice to see a realistic take on the monster movie genre for once.

bggrthnjsus said:
read this elsewhere
From some other source

The End."

After viewing the film and doing a bit of research (Darn you Abram).. that actually makes.. sense? =/

*smh*

Vyer

effzee said:
what were the tie ins?

stuff like

Rob going to Japan (through viral we find out this is to work for Slusho)
the girl passed out on the couch (from a series of web videos)
something falling from the sky in background of scene - satellite? (I actually missed that)

i bet you hate rube goldberg devices
Sure i do, if you are trying to apply this to plot of a tv series or movie. You don't need to make things needlessly complex to the point of hilarity, when a simple explantion will do and carry more weight. Lost, Alias and this film and all have this in common. Alias built up a mythology for 5 seasons and the end result was a hugely unsatisfying "huh?" JJ Abrams is simply incapable of writing a truly cohesive and involving story without filling it with mysterious and needlessly complex details that don't add up to much in the end. It's the shoddiest form of storytelling imaginable.

Just look at the words Lost's creators continue to shove down the fans throats. "It's the journey, not the destination that matters" Fuck off. If you are going to make a big deal about something for seasons on end, you better damn well have a satisfying conclusion!! It seems like some pre-emptive damage control, that they know the explanations of the main mysteries are going to suck almost as much as this movie and Alias (and thus far all the main answers they've delivered *have* sucked as much as those 2).

I loved this movie btw and those awful explanations don't exist to me.

Cheesemeister said:
It made me feel a bit woozy. Not enough info was revealed, leaving the need for another film from about the same events from a different perspective, or an epilogue at the very least. So it was unsatisfying in that regard. The bridge sequence was too quick to even see that
the brother had died

Anyways, it was nice to see a realistic take on the monster movie genre for once.
If you want all the 'canon' explantions. Read the huge spoiler block above on this page. Prepare to laugh your ass off and regret doing so.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
The Storyteller said:
And now I read that the movie was primarily a marketing ploy for a new drink? Oh my God.

Reading comprehension FTL.

Also, while I understand people being frustrated with the lack of answers, sometimes a mystery just being that -- a mystery -- is fun. X-Files strung its mythologies for nine seasons and even though they didn't come to a satisfying conclusion, can someone point to many abstract mythos that do? Some people just don't get it. Whether you buy into that, it's a testament to Abrams that even the haters keep coming back.

EBCubs03

Banned
Spotless Mind said:
Sure i do, if you are trying to apply this to plot of a tv series or movie. You don't need to make things needlessly complex to the point of hilarity, when a simple explantion will do and carry more weight. Lost, Alias and this film and all have this in common. Alias built up a mythology for 5 seasons and the end result was a hugely unsatisfying "huh?" JJ Abrams is simply incapable of writing a truly cohesive and involving story without filling it with mysterious and needlessly complex details that don't add up to much in the end. It's the shoddiest form of storytelling imaginable.

Just look at the words Lost's creators continue to shove down the fans throats. "It's the journey, not the destination that matters" Fuck off. If you are going to make a big deal about something for seasons on end, you better damn well have a satisfying conclusion!! It seems like some pre-emptive damage control, that they know the explanations of the main mysteries are going to suck almost as much as this movie and Alias (and thus far all the main answers they've delivered *have* sucked as much as those 2).

Bingo

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
bggrthnjsus said:
read this elsewhere
From some other source

The End."

i have a feeling that all that viral backstory isn't meant to be taken so literally. it's probably a bit more cryptic than that.

Blader

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. Usually, insane amount of viral marketing + cast of unknowns = a shit bomb of a movie, but this was just really damn good; a blockbuster finally met the hype.

I don't have a problem with the presentation, like the shakey cam or not getting
any real info on the monster or the name "Cloverfield"
, because it's more of a survival horror film than a monster movie.

I have no complaints, I loved it.

border

The Storyteller said:
The plot of the film featured a terribly concieved love story played out seemingly in the background, while the moster (which is supposedly the major pull of the film) becomes a device to let the romance play out. The movie was well done in a lot of places I will give it that, but when it all boils down to one of JJ Abrams typical, cheesy love stories, all i can do is sigh. Repeatedly.
This is.....well, kind of retarded. Stop acting like it was an episode of Felicity or something. It wasn't even Titanic. The love story is not such a major component of the film.

border said:
This is.....well, retarded. Stop acting like it was an episode of Felicity or something. It wasn't even Titanic. The love story is not such a major component of the film.
Yes it is. It is the driving force for the characters heading back into the city. It has clips of Rob and Beth intercut throughout the film and it even ends on them. Disliking the romantic drivel is understandable to me.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The Storyteller said:
I hated it.

My hate begins and ends with the characters. I know I was supposed to feel tension and suspense, but that all got lost when the main characters (who seemed to be on loan from The OC), made every retarded and unrealistic descision imagineable when faced with a terrifying (well, not really) monster.

I swear, it's like some people live on this non-existent plane of amazing movie masterpieces that I never get to see in the theaters these days.

...and yet they can even read a thread properly. :lol

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
chubigans said:
I swear, it's like some people live on this non-existent plane of amazing movie masterpieces that I never get to see in the theaters these days.

...and yet they can even read a thread properly. :lol
thisisneogafdude.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom