• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovid

El Papa said:
Really enjoyed the hell out of this movie. The sound in my theater was LOUD! So loud at parts that the theater was shaking! Talk about intense!

FYI Cloverfield Despoiler says that the Tagruato satellite was traking something that had landed in the ocean, obviously it could be the satellite if it was tracking something, so must be the monster. Then there's the production notes...

The audio in my theater was loud too. I loved the movie especially the part with the Army firing at the monster on the street with their tanks and rifles. I actually felt the vibrations of the gunfire in my chest it was so damn loud. It was so cool (wish that part was longer). I saw the movie in Midtown Manhattan so it felt like I was really there with the characters....what a great movie. I hope Paramount switches over to Blu-Ray so I can pick it up later this year.

Shins

Banned
Dolphin said:
Me neither. Anyone who has ever fallen for a girl should understand.
Or anyone who has ever experienced a traumatic event. You latch onto things to keep yourself from losing it. This goes for Hud making his jokes too; I didn't feel it was forced. It was his method of coping with the fact that horrible, horrible things were happening all around him and there was nothing to be done about it.

Hell, the dialogue in the movie addressed this stuff:
-Hud's line about needing something to talk about, lest he shit himself
-Rob asking whether or not it really mattered "right now" just what the fuck the monster was

LowParry

Nemesis556 said:
Are you serious? They haven't switched over? What's the odds? I WANT MY HD CLOVERFIELD FIX

Well, their contract with HD DVD ends in May so I'd say good chances of it going to Blu Ray are promising. I really do hope they put a lot of extra features into the dvd. I'd love to see a segment where they show an entire news broadcast of the incident that we got to see a little of within the movie.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Iamthegamer said:
THANK YOU! About time somebody else stopped riding its jock. I don't even know how people think the film is perfect - the monster is sweet and some action scenes are great, but uhhh "Oh no, there no bullets in my gun, I didn't check before I fired ARRRRR" "I'm a gymnast so I can face down thi-OOOOOH my head". It had some funny moments, exhilarating moments, totally lame moments, and pure meh moments. It really seemed like 6 directors made The Host. Overall, 6/10, but I'd only recommend it to people to watch for free on TV or something.

Couldn't have said it better. I really wanted to like The Host, but it was trying to be too many things at once.

Nemesis_

Nicodimas said:
Paramounts contract ends sometime in the beginning of 09. Coming out on HD, it will at least have a great deal of extras.
yeah but I don't wanna buy an HD-DVD player for THIS movie, and with the looks of it being the failing format as well.....just not worth it =(

genjiZERO

I really disliked this movie. For one thing
shaky hand cam does nothing but take me out of the experience. It came across as fake in BWP and this too. The excuse they give is, "This is important. We need to record it," but I'm sorry no one would really do that. It comes off as a bad excuse
. For another all the characters were just too attractive. I'm really really tired of seeing unrealistically attractive characters in films. It's too fake. And draws you out of what's supposed to be an immersive film. Finally,
the aliens or whatever, were really fake looking, and made no sense at all. It would have made much more sense if they were ambiguous on what was attacking

save your money
play Resistance while shaking your head... it's the same thing

Captain N

I just got back from seeing it at AMC..They had a notice up where you bought your tickets that Cloverfield may cause motion sickness.

vMaxx

How strong is the monster of cloverfield?More or less than 1998 Godzilla?Same goes for the size:bigger or smaller than 1998 godzilla?

Captain N

vMaxx said:
How strong is the monster of cloverfield?More or less than 1998 Godzilla?Same goes for the size:bigger or smaller than 1998 godzilla?

When you do see the creature it seems to stay low to the ground, but can get up pretty tall to knock over buildings. It walks on all fours..well more then four, but it doesn't walk at all like Godzilla and there's no sign of it being taken out at all. You think it is at one point, but it comes back at the end of the movie.

I don't know what is a spoiler and what isn't..so I covered it all up.

Apharmd

vMaxx said:

It's generally very resilient against conventional human weaponry. But it only uses its limbs to crush buildings etc.

vMaxx

Captain N said:
When you do see the creature it seems to stay low to the ground, but can get up pretty tall to knock over buildings. It walks on all fours..well more then four, but it doesn't walk at all like Godzilla and there's no sign of it being taken out at all. You think it is at one point, but it comes back at the end of the movie.

I don't know what is a spoiler and what isn't..so I covered it all up.
Thanx!

I_D

Apharmd said:
It's generally very resilient against conventional human weaponry. But it only uses its limbs to crush buildings etc.

Not to mention it has a bunch of little mites to help it out.

Nemesis_

I just thought of something.

There's clearly a time gap between when the
helicopter crashes
and they
wake up
. Many people claim that the
monster Hud sees and the money shot we get is "different"
so what's not to say in this time lapse it somehow either
divided
or
another appeared?

Just throwing some stuff out there.

And yes, all of them were fecking hot and it was kinda unrealistic (especially Rob and Marlena =P)

NotWii

Banned
vMaxx said:
Stronger than 1998 Godzilla
Bigger than 1998 Godzilla

But would lose an arm wrestle against Japanese Godzilla

I_D

Nemesis556 said:

helicopter crashes
and they
wake up
divided
or
another appeared?

And yes, all of them were fecking hot and it was kinda unrealistic (especially Rob and Marlena =P)

I don't think there was
more than one monster.
They would have mentioned it or something in the movie.

vMaxx

Wii said:
Stronger than 1998 Godzilla
Bigger than 1998 Godzilla

But would lose an arm wrestle against Japanese Godzilla
Really?Because others say that in one shot the monster is huge and in another shot is considerably smaller.

Nemesis_

Immortal_Daemon said:
I don't think there was
more than one monster.
They would have mentioned it or something in the movie.
It did
continually change appearance
and to be honest, I wasn't convinced there was either. Who really knows. I just love the movie =P

I_D

Iamthegamer said:
I dunno man, they didn't mention a lot of things:lol

Well yeah, they didn't mention the backstory much. But that makes sense since it was supposed to come outta nowhere (and it also kinda rewarded the folks who followed it online).

But you'd think if
there was another one, people would have shouted "look out there's the other one" or something along those lines.

However, the words at the end pretty much set up for a sequel anyway, so pretty much the same effect is gonna happen.

EDIT:
Nemesis556 said:
It did
and to be honest, I wasn't convinced there was either. Who really knows. I just love the movie =P

It didn't seem to change for me. It just stood up at certain points and whatnot. It seemed to be the same monster to me. Though honestly, if one monster was to pop outta nowhere, realistically speaking (in reference to monsters, lol) there'd be a big chance of at least a few more monsters out there.

Nemesis_

Immortal_Daemon said:
EDIT:

It didn't seem to change for me. It just stood up at certain points and whatnot. It seemed to be the same monster to me. Though honestly, if one monster was to pop outta nowhere, realistically speaking (in reference to monsters, lol) there'd be a big chance of at least a few more monsters out there.
I'll have to watch it again - I'm gathering several groups up to go and see it with, so I can see it a few times and get a better feel. Remnants of what the scenes look like keep escaping me and I am desperate to see this movie again =P The screens people are taking and reporting just don't do it justice. I want to be able to look at it KNOWING where it appears and what it is.

MercuryLS

Banned
Pretty nice experience movie. If you watch this make sure to do so in theaters, it just won't be the same at home.

Overall it's pretty forgettable, a fun popcorn movie. I was sufficiently entertained for the hour and a half.

I_D

Nemesis556 said:
I'll have to watch it again - I'm gathering several groups up to go and see it with, so I can see it a few times and get a better feel. Remnants of what the scenes look like keep escaping me and I am desperate to see this movie again =P The screens people are taking and reporting just don't do it justice. I want to be able to look at it KNOWING where it appears and what it is.

Just bring a video cam and tape it yourself. :lol

I don't think I'd recommend this film to anyone. The camera work makes it largely unwatchable and within 10 minutes, I hated every single character and wanted nothing more than for every single one of them to shut up (and/or die.)

I wasn't expecting anything going into it, but it was largely pretty bad.

TheDuce22

Banned
I thought part of the reason he went back was what his brother said to him just before the attack. In a way he could have been honoring his memory.

I_D

SaggyMonkey said:
I don't think I'd recommend this film to anyone. The camera work makes it largely unwatchable and within 10 minutes, I hated every single character and wanted nothing more than for every single one of them to shut up (and/or die.)

I wasn't expecting anything going into it, but it was largely pretty bad.

I liked the camera work a lot, except at the part where
they have to pull that chick up because she has the rod stuck in her shoulder, and you can't see anything
but everything else was pretty sweet and really pulled you into the moment.

Captain N

I saw something falling into the water, but if it fell from the sky and came from another planet how come so many of those crawlers were attached to it? Of course there could've been a lot more things that fell and no one noticed, but who knows. I wouldn't mind something..a comic, video game, tv show that explains more of what happened.

Really?Because others say that in one shot the monster is huge and in another shot is considerably smaller.

Sometimes the monster stands upright on its wee hindlegs and in that shot at the end, he's rolling Gorilla style, on all fours. It's still huge.

As am I

As are we all.

Nemesis556 said:
It did

Its also bad that the effects guys did a really bad job but covered it up with the parkinsons camera.

Nemesis556 said:

helicopter crashes
and they
wake up
divided
or
another appeared?

there wasn't a big time gap.

They had to get to the extraction point at 0600 hours. The
bomb(s) was dropped, I believe they said, at around 0640.
So maybe a 30-40 minute gap? This obviously doesn't count the amount of time it takes
Rob and Beth to get to the little bridge in Central Park.
Not long at all.

GenericPseudonym said:
Its also bad that the effects guys did a really bad job but covered it up with the parkinsons camera.

What the fuck are you talking about? You don't have any idea of how it really works, do you?

Dolphin said:
Me neither. Anyone who has ever fallen for a girl should understand.

HA HA HA HA, I mean jesus you guys are laying down your common sense for this film. Do you have any concept of a real disaster? Did anyone run into the WTC to save their girlfriend?

Would anyone run through Manhattan turned into a warzone, with one massive fucking monster dropping killer little monsters just to save someone? Fuck no.

Don't try to explain that away because nothing even close to that has ever happened or will ever happen, but needless to say if that was happening and my brother was dead I'd get the hell out of dodge not run into a collapsed building to see if someone was alive.

I_D

GenericPseudonym said:

You thought that was bad?

It was some of the best CGI I've ever seen (not better than Transformers, of course, but still great).

Immortal_Daemon said:

It was some of the best CGI I've ever seen (not better than Transformers, of course, but still great).

The special effects were particularly awesome for 2 things : The scenery was seamles, guess what, they never did destroy New York City.

The entire movie is shot in less than optimal lighting condition. Do you know how hard it is to match something when it's pitch black?

Immortal_Daemon said:

I didn't say it was bad, but they definitely could have had inconsistencies with the monster and covered it with the camera work.

It was really good.

Good things:
The monster. It doesn't look overly designed. A lot of people tend to go overboard creating this elaborate creature that looks cool, but wouldn't really be realistic in any way. The Cloverfield monster wasn't that. It looked like something that could potentially exist (at least in my mind).
What I found funny about it though was that
It looked like something straight of Resistance: Fall of Man. Especially it's face. Now I have a theory that this is just a giant viral ad for Resistance 2.

The position the movie puts you in is exactly what I've always wanted. This is the problem I have with other movies about disaster. It makes it epic by taking you out and seeing it on a grand scale artificially. This movie made me feel like I was in the shit.

Against what a lot of other people say, I liked the characters(except Hud). I think some people might not have picked up a piece of info that explained why Rob wanted to save Beth. Early on they talk about how he and her had known each other for a long time. I don't see how it's so strange to understand why he would want to save her. She's someone he's been in love with for a big part of his life. He knows she's in danger and he's got to try and save her.
Now, I would concede that some of the people following him don't have much reason behind their actions. Especially Marlena. But not every movie can be perfect, and you have to let a few contrivances go every now and then.

The special effects were really something else. What I love was that it really didn't make them the focal point of the flick. Sure we get big shots that show them off, but they are simply there because the person filming is thinking the same thing we would. "Holy shit would you look at that."

The only thing I didn't like were, as mentioned, Hud. He was kind of overdone. I get that he puts his foot in his mouth a lot and is awkward, but still. He talked way too much.
Some times the movie would have him looking at stuff and not really reacting the way I expected him to.

I also gotta say that the movie was perfectly timed and paced. It didn't overstay nor understay it's welcome.

So yeah, I enjoyed the hell out of it. It's pretty much exactly the kind of monster movie American Godzilla should have been.

TheWolf

Banned
just saw it, and it was alright. the thing that sorta sucks though is that the monster has zero personality due to the nature of the film. and when the military is
throwing tons of missiles, bombs, and other shit at the monster it should have at least broken the skin or SOMETHING.
i know it's a monster movie, but come on.

TheWolf said:
just saw it, and it was alright. the thing that sorta sucks though is that the monster has zero personality due to the nature of the film. and when the military is
throwing tons of missiles, bombs, and other shit at the monster it should have at least broken the skin or SOMETHING.

Because Godzilla had such a personnality!

godzilla8za.png

Crushed

Fry Daddy
TheWolf said:
What was the Monster supposed to do, get into a bunch of kooky antics and then do something funny after they've solved the mystery and the gang is all like, "Clooooooo-veeeeeeer! Hahahahhahahahaha!" while the screen fades to black?

I_D

fistfulofmetal said:
It looked like something that could potentially exist (at least in my mind).

I disagree.

Its front legs made no sense at all. Animals don't evolve like that.

It wouldn't have had reverse elbows if they were meant for walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom