• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Yeah the monster really did seem chimeran. And the parasites looked like antlions (HL2), except thankfully they couldnt fly. But then Night Vision scene was about the second time i've said "oh shit" aloud in a movie. Not loudly, but in that "Oh gimme a break..." kinda hushed tone.

Ephemeris

Dunno why I didn't notice this:

GenericPseudonym said:
HA HA HA HA, I mean jesus you guys are laying down your common sense for this film. Do you have any concept of a real disaster? Did anyone run into the WTC to save their girlfriend?

There are people who ran into the WTC to save complete strangers.

temp

posting on contract only
fistfulofmetal said:
Dunno why I didn't notice this:

There are people who ran into the WTC to save complete strangers.
YOU'VE NEVER BEEN IN THAT SITUATION! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'D DO!!

Ephemeris

Sadly, after a message like that, I'd probably rush back to get her.

But as I told my friends who accompanied me to the movie: "Good luck getting me to follow you guys back to find your love interest. No really; it's not gonna f*cking happen."

Personally, I would have stol... commandeered one of those Vesper scooters and hit the subway tunnels.

1vespa-mousemat.jpg

On a funny note, when I left the theater that night (Lowes on 34th street in manhattan) I kept looking to the skies half-expecting a large ass monster to appear.
But it never happened :(

Just got back.

This movie was one of the few films that lives up to the hype i had going in. I really liked the way they didn't explain anything about the incident or it's origin or really anything. Leave it to the viewer to decide whether they think the creature was alien or native to earth. I really liked how at the end of the movie, the crowd I saw it with wasn't sure how to react. There were scattering claps, mixed with silence and whispering.

Excellent film.

Also, yes, the overture played during the credits was awesome. iTunes plzkthxbye.

Lastly, if they make some bullshit sequel to this already great film, I will be very pissed.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Ephemeris said:
But " Roar! (Cloverfield Overture) " certainly was.

I need that song.
Has it been leaked yet? I didn't stay for the credits but I was just talking to my brother of how it's a good callback to Akira Ifukube's marches that he did for Godzilla movies. Now I need to listen to it.

i think the real reason rob was so hell bent on saving beth was that his brother had just died and he could not do anything about it.

however, saving beth was something in his power to do and it gave him a sense of focus in an out of control situation.

After seeing it again, it still holds up.

The ending gave me chills still. Just hearing the Air-Raid siren go off, then the monologue "My Name is Robert Hawkins", finally the parting "I Love you"'s

Size wise, the thing that fell into the water couldn't have been that big. And it didn't seem to be falling super fast, as if it were from space. But instead like it fell from an airplane or something. The monster's size actually didn't seem to change that much after all. I think when it's up close at the end, it might make difference that it isn't standing up straight. It's resting on its arms, not standing on its hind legs. That could affect that. I also noticed it looked like there was something cut off of the middle arms. like they were attached to a stub. Earlier when you're watching from News cameras it looks like it has a crab claw, but its gone by Central Park. This could possibly support my theory, or be me just seeing things. Although the tail looked noticeably different. Looked clearly whale like in the news footage but later on was straight. Also when the little ones fell, it looked like they weren't the only thing falling. Looked like they might have fallen from pods...
Just some thoughts...

JdFoX187

Banned
I just realized:
when we first saw the creature going between the buildings right after the attack, did we actually see its tail?
I don't think so.

JdFoX187

Banned
fallengorn said:
Sounds like something out of one of the classic Godzilla movies.

TheWolf said:
BTW this review...

...is the biggest fucking exaggeration ever.
You do know he probably didn't see the movie. And if he did, that whole review was meant as an exageration.

Nicodimas said:
JJ abrams I thought already clarified what the thing from space was.

Link?

JdFoX187

Banned
I keep reading on here some people saying they couldn't feel any connection with the characters. I was the complete opposite. While I didn't really feel anything for Rob and Beth, I felt really bad when
the one girl, I forget her name, blew up. Especially considering the only reason she got bit was saving Hud. And then when Hud died.
Don't think another movie has ever made me feel that bad for the characters.

JdFoX187 said:
I keep reading on here some people saying they couldn't feel any connection with the characters. I was the complete opposite. While I didn't really feel anything for Rob and Beth, I felt really bad when
the one girl, I forget her name, blew up. Especially considering the only reason she got bit was saving Hud. And then when Hud died.
Don't think another movie has ever made me feel that bad for the characters.

Marlena going pop was bad for me because I have a crush on her in real life :(

Teknoman

So what, Lily was the only one to actually make it out alive? Or did her chopper get knocked down. I know I saw a chopper get knocked out of the air in a rolling mess of flames, but i'm not sure if that was her's or just something else.

JdFoX187

Banned
Teknoman said:
So what, Lily was the only one to actually make it out alive? Or did her chopper get knocked down. I know I saw a chopper get knocked out of the air in a rolling mess of flames, but i'm not sure if that was her's or just something else.
I think only the last chopper got knocked down.

probune

I just got back from seeing it. It was alright, I guess. It was really just a very long version of a trailer with lots of running.

I didn't read anything about this movie beforehand besides the motion sickness stuff and I literally knew exactly how it would play out. But, to the movie's credit, I still enjoyed it a lot.

VaLiancY

Ephemeris said:
On a funny note, when I left the theater that night (Lowes on 34th street in manhattan) I kept looking to the skies half-expecting a large ass monster to appear.
But it never happened :(

:lol Me and my friends went to the one near 14th and Union Square and I'm by George Washington near the Virgin Megastore thinking to myself. "What if a big fucking foot just popped out of no where, I'd run for the...bridge out of here."

JdFoX187 said:
I just realized:
when we first saw the creature going between the buildings right after the attack, did we actually see its tail?
I don't think so.
At that point I think its walking
on all fours, and possibly just has it down.

Ephemeris

fallengorn said:
I figure if the original creative get on board for a sequel we'll see something very similar to the first movie. If not the studios are just going to spend money on something akin to BW2.

Okay, I did some digging and found the song.

http://rapidshare.com/files/85321656/overture.mp3.html

You can hear someone talking at parts though.

Ah! I was hoping this wasn't the one I found earlier.. but alas, the talking still plagues me.

VaLiancY said:
:lol Me and my friends went to the one near 14th and Union Square and I'm by George Washington near the Virgin Megastore thinking to myself. "What if a big fucking foot just popped out of no where, I'd run for the...bridge out of here."

Jason_on_bridge.gif

:lol :lol :lol

while I thought the final design of the monster was ok....anyone else here wished it looked
...more humanoid like the fake pic many pages back? ....something that resembled a titan or something

Thai

Bane was better.
is there a video of the satelite falling at the end of movie online somewhere? I watched the movie but totally missed that! paying attention to the people, i guesS?

youta

I kinda liked the movie, but really, it's just Godzilla a la Blair Witch. The
monster is forgettable, I thought. I did get nauseous about 2/3rds into it
due to the shaking (I must be getting more sensitive to this with age,
a month ago I got carsick for the first time in my life).

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I'm fairly certain my friends are going to see The Bucket list right now over this film (one of them actually saw cloverfield, with me).

I'm strongly considering disowning these people/pitying them for their ignorance. help GAF. Help.

Andokuky

Banned
GenericPseudonym said:
HA HA HA HA, I mean jesus you guys are laying down your common sense for this film. Do you have any concept of a real disaster? Did anyone run into the WTC to save their girlfriend?

Would anyone run through Manhattan turned into a warzone, with one massive fucking monster dropping killer little monsters just to save someone? Fuck no.

Don't try to explain that away because nothing even close to that has ever happened or will ever happen, but needless to say if that was happening and my brother was dead I'd get the hell out of dodge not run into a collapsed building to see if someone was alive.

Well I agree. I mean, I for one think the film was awesome. But you know what would have been even awesomer? If instead of going to save the chick, they just hopped on a chopper and left. Cue credits end the movie. Because, I mean... in my movies about a huge monster laying waste to NYC and shedding little flood type bastards off his back that make people explode, I just HAVE to have realistic plot lines for my characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom