• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Immortal_Daemon said:
I disagree.

Its front legs made no sense at all. Animals don't evolve like that.

It wouldn't have had reverse elbows if they were meant for walking.

Well this is really here nor there. I don't know anything about animals and how they evolve on Earth, but it's easily explained if it IS an alien. Evolution rules on Earth might not work the same else ware.

What I really want to know more about is why people thought Rob going for Beth was dumb or unrealistic, because it really doesn't make sense how how they could think that.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Crushed said:
What was the Monster supposed to do, get into a bunch of kooky antics and then do something funny after they've solved the mystery and the gang is all like, "Clooooooo-veeeeeeer! Hahahahhahahahaha!" while the screen fades to black?
or maybe the monster develops a human love interest in naomi watts and decides to make love, not war... but then the military destroys him anyway and we all leave sad

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
TheWolf said:
just saw it, and it was alright. the thing that sorta sucks though is that the monster has zero personality due to the nature of the film. and when the military is
throwing tons of missiles, bombs, and other shit at the monster it should have at least broken the skin or SOMETHING.
i know it's a monster movie, but come on.

Exactly how I felt.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
GenericPseudonym said:
HA HA HA HA, I mean jesus you guys are laying down your common sense for this film. Do you have any concept of a real disaster? Did anyone run into the WTC to save their girlfriend?

Would anyone run through Manhattan turned into a warzone, with one massive fucking monster dropping killer little monsters just to save someone? Fuck no.

Don't try to explain that away because nothing even close to that has ever happened or will ever happen, but needless to say if that was happening and my brother was dead I'd get the hell out of dodge not run into a collapsed building to see if someone was alive.
You have never loved.

Zeed

Banned
Holy shit did this movie make me carsick. I probably saw only half of it because most of the time I was busy trying not to vomit from the shakeycam. God damn!

Immortal_Daemon said:
I disagree.

Its front legs made no sense at all. Animals don't evolve like that.

It wouldn't have had reverse elbows if they were meant for walking.

Man, get off your high imaginary scientist horse.

All signs point to it being some ancient sea creature, and as we've seen on Discovery Channel there are plenty of screwy water borne creatures that can navigate the land awkwardly sans bi-pedal appendages.

Ignoring that, it's arm things reminded me very much of a bat walking.

Sheesh. . .

Dolphin

Banned
GenericPseudonym said:
HA HA HA HA, I mean jesus you guys are laying down your common sense for this film. Do you have any concept of a real disaster? Did anyone run into the WTC to save their girlfriend?

Would anyone run through Manhattan turned into a warzone, with one massive fucking monster dropping killer little monsters just to save someone? Fuck no.

Don't try to explain that away because nothing even close to that has ever happened or will ever happen, but needless to say if that was happening and my brother was dead I'd get the hell out of dodge not run into a collapsed building to see if someone was alive.
So yeah, I'm gonna guess you've never loved. If my fiancée (or my mother or brother for that matter) sent me a message like that, I would most definitely run through a warzone, monster or not. Also, there are many stories of incredible personal sacrifice related to 9/11, you just have to look. Your lack of faith in yourself and others is a little sad. :(

Dolphin said:
So yeah, I'm gonna guess you've never loved. If my fiancée (or my mother or brother for that matter) sent me a message like that, I would most definitely run through a warzone, monster or not. Also, there are many stories of incredible personal sacrifice related to 9/11, you just have to look. Your lack of faith in yourself and others is a little sad.

Dude, it's totally Hollywood.

Even if they made it there in time. . .
that piece of rebar that went straight through her would have inevitably cause some serious internal trauma, and she would have bled out. So you'd get there to confirm your loved one was a corpse. :\

I dunno.

Plus the whole idiocy of the looting. I dunno. If dingleberry really had something planned, he would have at least grabbed a few flashlights while at it. I'm not a survivalist / militia-man, and there are certain things I tend to always have on hand when I'm out and about.

Then again - maybe they don't have the Boy Scouts / Cub Scouts in NY. :p

Dolphin said:
So yeah, I'm gonna guess you've never loved. If my fiancée (or my mother or brother for that matter) sent me a message like that, I would most definitely run through a warzone, monster or not. Also, there are many stories of incredible personal sacrifice related to 9/11, you just have to look. Your lack of faith in yourself and others is a little sad. :(

basically what I thought when I read his response.

LowParry

sefskillz said:
or maybe the monster develops a human love interest in naomi watts and decides to make love, not war... but then the military destroys him anyway and we all leave sad

Let's not forget about "romantic ice skating in the park before getting shot at".

TheJollyCorner said:
basically what I thought when I read his response.

I'm happy you guys can make such bold statements about your self-sacrifce. In Cloverfield's hypothetical situation maybe I'd save my son, my mother, my fiance, but not some random chick I liked since college and apparently had broken up with.

Regardless, I'm quite glad you seem so capable of deriding someone's motivations in a situation you will never even come close to dealing with. Have you ever run into a collapsing building? Have you ever run into a warzone? Have you ever been chased by a huge fucking monster? No, absolutely not, so don't make such bold statements about something you have clearly no concept of.

Ristamar

I didn't get caught up in all the hype surrounding this film, but I have to say, I really enjoyed it. Definitely one of the better monster movies I've seen in a long time. I was surprised and thankful the running time was relatively short. I think it would have dragged had it gone on much longer.

GenericPseudonym said:
I'm happy you guys can make such bold statements about your self-sacrifce. In Cloverfield's hypothetical situation I'd save my son, my mother, my fiance, but not some random chick I liked since college and apparently had broken up with.
Regardless, I'm quite glad you seem so capable of deriding someone's motivations in a situation you will never even come close to dealing with. Have you ever run into a collapsing building? Have you ever run into a warzone? Have you ever been chased by a huge fucking monster? No, absolutely not, so don't make such bold statements about something you have clearly no concept of.
So you've been chased by huge fucking monster's into warzones and collapsing buildings? How do you know you would save your son, mother, and fiance? You've never even been hypothetically chased by a huge fucking monster so don't make such bold statements about something you clearly have no concept of.

Snidely Whiplash said:
So you've been chased by huge fucking monster's into warzones and collapsing buildings? How do you know you would save your son, mother, and fiance? You've never even been hypothetically chased by a huge fucking monster so don't make such bold statements about something you clearly have no concept of.

I can't be sure, again it depends on the situation. I wouldn't be saving everybody that's for sure. But its odd how these overly idealistic responses come out on GAF.

B-Ri

GenericPseudonym said:
I'm happy you guys can make such bold statements about your self-sacrifce. In Cloverfield's hypothetical situation maybe I'd save my son, my mother, my fiance, but not some random chick I liked since college and apparently had broken up with.

acctually they were best friends forever, he started liking her in college, and in a random spur of the moment it happend, then he screwed up.

She had always been an important part of his life.

B-Ri said:
acctually they were best friends forever, he started liking her in college, and in a random spur of the moment it happend, then he screwed up.

She had always been an important part of his life.

See again this movie's not so hot, because all I got was the he liked her for a while and then fucked up, not that they were best friends forever. Too much background noise. I can see now why he might save her. But still, the situation still makes it a very difficult choice, one that's hardly as reflexive or obvious as many make it out to be.

Teknoman

Heh well i'm just glad its semi confirmed that the monsters werent baby monsters, but more or less parasites that were latched onto the monster. They looked more like bugs/antlions from HL2 more than anything. And yes Lily is hot.

Also for some reason I thought the splash in the water was the monster making a large splash. But I guess thats been proved as some satellite as well. One detail I would like to get clarification on is why someone would blow up after being bitten by a parasite.

Ristamar

GenericPseudonym said:
See again this movie's not so hot, because all I got was the he liked her for a while and then fucked up, not that they were best friends forever. Too much background noise.

IIRC, it was spelled out pretty clearly when Jason was talking to Rob outside the party, away from all the commotion.

Teknoman said:
Heh well i'm just glad its semi confirmed that the monsters werent baby monsters, but more or less parasites that were latched onto the monster. They looked more like bugs/antlions from HL2 more than anything. And yes Lily is hot.

Also for some reason I thought the splash in the water was the monster making a large splash. But I guess thats been proved as some satellite as well. One detail I would like to get clarification on is why someone would blow up after being bitten by a parasite.
The parasite bite could have had something done similar to when ants and bees bite you: your body enters into allergic reaction and basically make the bite area swell. Those things were so big, it could have delivered alot of poison and basically swelled her whole body up.

commissar

papelnabangka said:
The parasite bite could have had something done similar to when ants and bees bite you: your body enters into allergic reaction and basically make the bite area swell. Those things were so big, it could have delivered alot of poison and basically swelled her whole body up.
Which is consistent with the hemorrhaging from her eyes as pressure built up, though it would make more sense if she was squirting blood from her wounds, especially considering the proximity to her heart.

Then again, I doubt that much thought actually went into the movie.

Teknoman

papelnabangka said:

Well yeah I guess that would make sense. Man this + the "Insects that kick your ass" topic + the preview for that movie "The Ruins" will make me official kill every bug I see, no questions asked.

Ristamar said:
IIRC, it was spelled out pretty clearly when Jason was talking to Rob outside the party, away from all the commotion.

I heard that he had liked her since college. I did not know that they had been best friends for ages.

I've got to ask the haters... seriously... I have to know where you are coming from. Name a better monster movie. Just one... if it's "the host" then keep it to yourself. This movie was fantastic.

Going to see it again now. I'm going to pay close attention to see if my monster theory
Parasite falls in April, latches onto multiple creatures, which slowly get blasted off
could work.

Solo

I thought it was pretty good. Several really tense scenes, some nice bits of humor thrown in, and well paced. Nothing Ill ever see again, but it was worth my $10.

I_D

fistfulofmetal said:
Well this is really here nor there. I don't know anything about animals and how they evolve on Earth, but it's easily explained if it IS an alien. Evolution rules on Earth might not work the same else ware.

What I really want to know more about is why people thought Rob going for Beth was dumb or unrealistic, because it really doesn't make sense how how they could think that.

I don't think the origin really matters. Limbs simply don't evolve backwards like that. The only creatures with arms like that are spiders.
The difference is that all of a spider's legs are like that, unlike this monster which had front spider arms, gorilla back legs, and weird retarded arms on its chest.

As for going back for Beth being unrealistic........ the GAF users who are saying this have never seen a vagina before, so they don't understand.

Teknoman

Solo said:
I thought it was pretty good. Several really tense scenes, some nice bits of humor thrown in, and well paced. Nothing Ill ever see again, but it was worth my $10.

Yeah, I dunno if i'd buy it (probably will if it hits blu ray) but it was alot better than I thought it would be. Well heres looking forward to the next hopefully great shaky home video movie, Diary of the Dead.

I_D

Teknoman said:
Yeah, I dunno if i'd buy it (probably will if it hits blu ray) but it was alot better than I thought it would be. Well heres looking forward to the next hopefully great shaky home video movie, Diary of the Dead.

Go watch [Rec].

It's 100% pure awesome.
I found it more enjoyable than 28 Days Later, actually.

Teknoman

Immortal_Daemon said:
Go watch [Rec].

It's 100% pure awesome.
I found it more enjoyable than 28 Days Later, actually.

In that case i've got to look into it now :lol I really liked 28 days later (weeks as well, but I havent watched it as many times as days...yet).

EDIT: Apparently it's been snatched for a remake already? "Quarantined"?

DaMan121

Ok saw it again last night, and paid attention to the very end where
Rob and Beth are sharing their last moments on the tape. I saw the huge splash in the water. I imagine that was its tail or something.. pretty cool
It actually held up very well the second time, much more so than I imagined.

I_D

Teknoman said:
In that case i've got to look into it now :lol I really liked 28 days later (weeks as well, but I havent watched it as many times as days...yet).

EDIT: Apparently it's been snatched for a remake already? "Quarantined"?

Yeah, it's still in theaters in Spain and they're already going to do a remake....... that's how incredible it is; lol.

LevelNth

Banned
Just saw it with two buddies, both who hated it (but to be honest they were crazy skeptical going in, why I don't know), however I really enjoyed it. I loved the concept, and I loved that Reeves never bailed on it even once. No other camera views, no monster explanations, nothing extraneously added along the way, no gratuitous monster shots.

The little snippets on the TV's, the struggling to see what the hell was going on during various scenes (
Brooklyn Bridge was brilliant
) and especially the
two hectic fight scenes, just before the subway where you just briefly see the monster scream at Hud, and then in the subway tunnels after turning on the night vision
were my favorite aspects by far.

It's so nice to see a refreshing take on an old concept like this nowadays. Kudos to Reeves and Abrams. And Beth is ridiculously hot.

BTW, to any Resistence fans, if this hasn't already been mentioned in the thread, did the monster's face not instantly make you think 'holy shit a chimera!'?

GenericPseudonym said:
I heard that he had liked her since college. I did not know that they had been best friends for ages.

Well you must not have been paying attention. Dude pretty much says that they've known each other for most of their lives.

LevelNth said:
BTW, to any Resistence fans, if this hasn't already been mentioned in the thread, did the monster's face not instantly make you think 'holy shit a chimera!'?

Yep. When I saw it, that's the first thing I thought of

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Just came back from the movie, thought it was incredible. I sat far enough away from the screen after reading many accounts of motion sickness (danke GAF).

Now:

I definitely saw the thing falling from the sky into the water at the end of the movie. I had read all of the spoilers on GAF and definitely saw it.

Makes you realize just how much effort was put into the mystique of this film.

I need to read up on all of this in more depth and see it again.

JdFoX187

Banned
LevelNth said:
if this hasn't already been mentioned in the thread, did the monster's face not instantly make you think 'holy shit a chimera!'?[/spoiler]

That's what I thought when they finally showed it. It reminded me of the
Spider creature in Resistance. Can't think of its name.

I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to this that's like a government study video. Have some different angles of the attacks that were taken by the government. Have some scenes from news reels and the like. And then have testimony or something like that from expert scientists specculating.

A sequel really could work, but they're going to have to keep with the same style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom