• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
I don't know how people drool over the ridiculous love story in ths movie and somehow despise Titanic.

Maybe if The Statue of Liberty's head landed on the ship....

Christopher

MIMIC said:
I don't know how people drool over the ridiculous love story in ths movie and somehow despise Titanic.

Maybe if The Statue of Liberty's head landed on the ship....

wow they don't even compare...I mean really MIMIC apples and oranges bro

Chris Michael said:
I
My other big problem was that there is essentially no plot. I guess it's hard when you tell the entire "story" through a video camera, but it's unsettling because of what we never find out - where does the monster come and why is it destroying New York? Because there is no plot, NOTHING IS RESOLVED either. That's especially bothering to me. What happens to all those victims and their families? What happens to New York? What happens to the monster - do the humans win or does it take over all of America? YOU NEVER FIND OUT. Generic Hot Guy #1 and Generic Hot Slut #2 die and the movie ends. The end. Some people say the plot is a love story, but it's an extremely simple and crappy love story if true.

the whole premise of the movie is that you are seeing an incredible event through the eyes of one group of people.

you know what they know nothing more, nothing less.

the director has talked about if he was to make a sequel it would show the event through the eyes of another person or group.

also have you ever thought that it was the director's intention to make you have some many question about what was really going on? regardless if you felt let down because you didnt get all the answers, you are still going out and talking about it to other people about it which is more viral marketing for the movie.

Its really amazing that missles and bombs had no effect on it. Bombs that can warp and melt steel fall on it and the monster just shrugs it off. Nothing organic could withstand that. But whatever. Obviously if conventional weapons worked on it the movie wouldnt even have existed.

MIMIC

Banned
Christopher said:
I know even then - it's nothing alike.

Girl hates boy in the beginning, which makes the guy sulk, and then when both their lives are in peril near the end, boy saves girl.

Which movie am I talking about?

Gattsu25

Banned
MIMIC said:
Girl hates boy in the beginning, which makes the guy sulk, and then when both their lives are in peril near the end, boy saves girl.

Which movie am I talking about?
Doesn't work: I've never seen Titanic and likely never will until the day after I die...on the other hand, I have seen Cloverfield and think it was good "Holy shit" flick

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
fistfulofmetal said:
facepalm

seriously.

I've asked this before but it bares repeating. Have you ever been in love? Ever cared about someone? The set up told the viewers that Beth wasn't simply "his girl". She was someone he's known all his life and feels strongly for. Do you really not understand why a man would try to save the woman he loves? :\

Well, I've been with my wife since high school (about 18 years now), we have 2 wonderful kids, so no, I don't know anything about true love.

Gattsu25 said:
IMO true love is when you're willing (or do) die for someone. Hell, Jesus thinks so, too.

I agree. So if the movie didn't tell me anything about both Rob and his girl aside from his actions--going back into what amounts to a war-zone filled with horrible monsters--somehow I wouldn't know this?

MIMIC

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
Almost every action/horror movie ever made.

That's my point. But somehow, Cloverfield's gets the "BUT HE'S IN LOVE! HOW SWEET!" reaction, but movies with the same damn angle, different situation, get the elitist snub.

It's ridiculous.

border

MIMIC said:
I can't think of one person in this thread that holds the position that you describe. Is anybody "drooling" over the love story?

MIMIC

Banned
border said:
I can't think of one person in this thread that holds the position that you describe. Is anybody "drooling" over the love story?

I've asked this before but it bares repeating. Have you ever been in love? Ever cared about someone? The set up told the viewers that Beth wasn't simply "his girl". She was someone he's known all his life and feels strongly for. Do you really not understand why a man would try to save the woman he loves? :\

This was the only reason I compared it to Titanic. This explanation for Rob's behavior reminded me of Titanic...a movie hated by all, apparently.

Explanation for the love story: Formulaic, sappy drama

MIMIC said:

This was the only reason I compared it to Titanic. This explanation for Rob's behavior reminded me of Titanic...a movie hated by all, apparently.

Explanation for the love story: Formulaic, sappy drama

What? So that's me drooling over the love story?
Yeah, no. That's me explaining the actions of the characters. People are claiming it doesn't make sense and I'm saying it does.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Audience member #1: "Shit, Rob must really love this chick!"

Audience Member #2: "How do you know that? They haven't shown anything about them!"

*Rob ignores giant monster, evacuation and certain death*

Audience Member #1: "Are you stupid??"

bob_arctor said:

Audience Member #2: "How do you know that? They haven't shown anything about them!"

(ambient noise from the film: "Rob... Rob! Rob! Rob! Rob! Hey Rob! Rob! Rob! Rob!.... Rob! Rob! Rob! Rob! Rob! Rob!")

Fixed.

bob_arctor said:

So the problem is that you didn't pay enough attention the prologue before the attack to hear them clearly state that Rob and Beth have known each other most of their lives and are close friends, or the entire part where he fell for her in college?

Chris Michael said:
My biggest complaint was that the movie was a lot more gory than I expected it to be .
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Just got back from seeing it I thought it was absolutely fantastic.
Closest a movie has ever come to feeling like a ride for me just awesome.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
fistfulofmetal said:
So the problem is that you didn't pay enough attention the prologue before the attack to hear them clearly state that Rob and Beth have known each other most of their lives and are close friends, or the entire part where he fell for her in college?

Why. Does. That. Matter. And to clarify, my argument isn't that Rob's actions don't make sense. Obviously they don't. They are completely irrational. Love is irrational a lot of times.

The emotional impact would be the same even without the prologue you think somehow escaped my attention. But don't get all huffy--I enjoyed the movie, I really did. But Rob and company were annoying as fuck. Less of them talking crap (subway scene I'm looking at you!), less vid-cam love shmaltz, the more solid it would have been.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
fistfulofmetal said:
And I completely disagree.

Well, duh! :) Still, I had the feeling that they put all that stuff there to somehow justify Rob's irrational behavior--as if the filmmakers were anticipating the "That makes no sense!" crowd and attempted to drive home the true love angle to blunt their complaints. I happen to think Rob's suicide quest is the only thing they needed. As is, it came off as kind of hand-holding, you know?

Len Dontree said:
Saw it last night and enjoyed it. I really wanted to see the monster scooping people up in his maw and chomping them down though; after all, Marlena said that it was eating people out on the street.

Also, what happened at the end when it
"eats" Hud? It looked and sounded like he was getting chomped pretty good (though it seems like he'd be swallowed whole) but then he's dropped and the others rush over as if to see if he's OK? Huh? Doesn't seem like there'd be much left. I really was expecting them all to be eaten right there.
:(
I thought it was pretty obvious that
the chunk of Hud that was holding the camera was bitten off and plummeted to the ground, and Rob and Beth were just running over and screaming his name in disbelief.
You pretty much only see his head and shoulder in the shot, so
there may not have been much left to him other than part of his torso.

Teh Hamburglar said:
Its really amazing that missles and bombs had no effect on it. Bombs that can warp and melt steel fall on it and the monster just shrugs it off. Nothing organic could withstand that. But whatever. Obviously if conventional weapons worked on it the movie wouldnt even have existed.

It survived falling from space. Without going nuclear, a MOAB down its throat is probably the only thing that would do the thing in.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Spike Spiegel said:
I thought it was pretty obvious that
the chunk of Hud that was holding the camera was bitten off and plummeted to the ground, and Rob and Beth were just running over and screaming his name in disbelief.
You pretty much only see his head and shoulder in the shot, so
there may not have been much left to him other than part of his torso.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought, I just reckoned there'd be more blood and grue. Actually, I reckoned it'd be a "swallowed whole" type of situation considering the scale here. Not a big deal at all though, I thought the movie was really effective overall and the monster was very cool, grotesque and terrifying.

Another little niggle, when Hud first sees the news footage of the beast he doesn't seem as shocked as I imagine I'd be and almost seems to get distracted by the army rolling by outside. I think I'd be frozen in my tracks if I saw footage like that on tv.

I do hope we get a resurgence of giant monster-on-the-rampage movies. I'd much rather see giant beasts awoken from millenia-old slumbers knocking over skyscrapers than any more Hostel or Saw or killer doll movies (though those are much cheaper to make so I doubt they're going away).

racerx77

Banned
I personally don't care if they explained where and why about the creature.. remember that movie "the birds?" Nothing was explained about why they attacked... imagination comes in handy..

castle007

Banned
Watched it on friday. It was a great movie.

I thought that it was obvious that the chick was going to explode.

The love story was cheesy as hell. But it didn't bother me "You came back.." :lol

The music during the credits was terrible.

When some random guy came up to them and started talking in another language, I thought he was going to say "GODZILLA...GODZILLA!!!" :lol

bob_arctor said:
As is, it came off as kind of hand-holding, you know?

Nope.
Giving us the set up makes you feel something for the character. Without it, Rob is just a random dude trying to save a random girl that I know nothing about.

Gattsu25 said:
IMO true love is when you're willing (or do) die for someone. Hell, Jesus thinks so, too.

I love my guy very much but should my city be invaded by a giant fucking monster with tons of mini horrific spawns, I'm sure he'd understand if his dying phone call to me meant "I'm done for, get the f*ck out of Dodge". I'd want him to do that if I was the one on the other line. Sucky ass way to die, sure - but I wouldn't want him to die too.

Speaking of,
how in the hell did she go from almost dead & impaled through her shoulder (which would have had to break her scapula) to, I'm going to run around and help you lift shit?

The movie just ended up annoying me and I think a large part of it had to do with I felt absolutely nothing for those people because they started off being annoying and graduated to f*cktard status by the end. I wanted more monster chomping action.

I just got back from seeing the movie for the second time. I am positive that there is no way in hell that the thing that fell into the ocean at the end is the monster. The thing that falls in the ocean is fairly close to the shore, and it was pretty small in size.

Also, even after seeing it for a second time, the scene when Hud gets eaten is very hard to believe. How the fuck do they not notice the monster? They never noticed the monster while they were leaving until Hud went back to get the camera. HOW THE FUCK DOES A 30 STORY TALL MONSTER SNEAK UP ON YOU?

MIMIC

Banned
snack said:
HOW THE FUCK DOES A 30 STORY TALL MONSTER SNEAK UP ON YOU?

It was "explained" earlier in the thread that the helicopter crash damaged their hearing...or something along those ridiculous lines.

Rob: "HUD!!!"
Hud: "What?....oh snap! Mr. Cloverfield, you just snuck up on me!"

Rob is yelling is Hud to warn him that the monster is behind him. Apparently, he can hear Rob, but can't tell that some colassal beast is stomping around behind him. That's like ignoring an earthquake.

I'm all for suspension of disbelief, but please don't try to EXPLAIN crazy things like that :lol

MIMIC said:
It was "explained" earlier in the thread that the helicopter crash damaged their hearing...or something along those ridiculous lines.

Rob is yelling is Hud to warn him that the monster is behind him. Apparently, he can hear Rob, but can't tell that some colassal beast is stomping around behind him. That's like ignoring an earthquake.

I'm all for suspension of disbelief, but please don't try to EXPLAIN crazy things like that :lol
My sentiments, exactly. I LOVED this movie, but this part really bothers me. There is no way in hell you can ignore that thing coming at you. Even if you can't hear it, surely you would feel the ground vibrating, or the it BREATHING DOWN YOUR NECK.

The more I think about it, the angrier I get at how such an oversight got in the movie. The only possible explanation for the situation was that the monster was there the whole time, knocked unconscious by the helicopter or just waiting, and Hud and the gang didn't notice it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
MIMIC said:

Just saw it, and easily spotted the "explanation" in the 2nd to last shot.

As for the noise - there were concussion blasts going on the whole time. How woud you know the difference between bearby explosions and footsteps? I wouldn't. I would shit my pants and panic at every sound or start ignoring them.

ckohler

You guys are completely underestimating what being disoriented can do to you.

I'm pretty sure that if you just rode an out of control in a helicopter for thirty seconds, hit the ground at full force, went unconscious for at least a minute only to slowly awaken, your head would be so messed up that Ronald McDonald could whack off right in front of you and you wouldn't even notice.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
snack said:
The only possible explanation for the situation was that the monster was there the whole time, knocked unconscious by the helicopter or just waiting, and Hud and the gang didn't notice it.
I always assumed that that was the answer.

ckohler said:

I'm pretty sure that if you just rode an out of control in a helicopter for thirty seconds, hit the ground at full force, went unconscious for at least a minute only to slowly awaken, your head would be so messed up that Ronald McDonald could whack off right in front of you and you wouldn't even notice.

I know that there are a few veterans here, but not many people on GAF have seen combat, outside of The Adventures of Bald Space Marine.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
And why is everyone saying
the monster woud have made a much bigger splash? I saw that shot and thought, "ooh, space egg, or bacteria meteor." Christ folks are so fucking literal. Why are people assuming it would have to arrive full-grown?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Stinkles said:
And why is everyone saying
the monster woud have made a much bigger splash? I saw that shot and thought, "ooh, space egg, or bacteria meteor." Christ folks are so fucking literal. Why are people assuming it would have to arrive full-grown?
Well, the monster is supposed to be at the bottom of the ocean for thousands of years before the movie even starts.

Nicodimas

Banned

know that there are a few veterans here, but not many people on GAF have seen combat

Actually, I am pretty sure that crash would have killed them all dead. Spinning-crashes have the tendancy to tear your Aorta from your heart. It was a movie though -with a giant monster...

FF_VIII

Banned
I wanna see it, but I'm kind of put off by the reviews.

I mean, I don't wanna sit through 20 minutes of party bullshit. I just wanna see the monster. Which only seems like 5 minutes anyway :(

MIMIC

Banned
ckohler said:

For a crash that should have KILLED them, they seemed pretty fine to me, being able to walk away from it and all.

(not to mention the perfect condition of the video tape, which I just realized :lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom