• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdFoX187

Banned
Dead said:
Apparently there's been mention that the DVD might be out in April.

Not official or anything, so take that with a grain of salt.
Well I Am Legend comes out in March. American Gangster and Beowulf come out in February. Wouldn't be surprised Cloverfield comes out in April.

One thing I thought would be really interesting for extras on the DVD is to have the full-length newscasts that Hud films in a direct feed for the DVD.

JdFoX187 said:
Well I Am Legend comes out in March. American Gangster and Beowulf come out in February. Wouldn't be surprised Cloverfield comes out in April.

Wow. I don't keep up with DVD dates, and I find this turnaround to DVD disgustingly fast. Remember when it would take 8 months for a VHS of a movie to come out?

Cranehand2ndComing said:
Wow. I don't keep up with DVD dates, and I find this turnaround to DVD disgustingly fast. Remember when it would take 8 months for a VHS of a movie to come out?

It's only going to get faster. I've read about how DVD's may eventually come out day and date with the box office release.

Dead

well not really...yet
JdFoX187 said:

One thing I thought would be really interesting for extras on the DVD is to have the full-length newscasts that Hud films in a direct feed for the DVD.
That would be awesome. The newscast videos were pretty awesome from what can you see. Especially the Newscaster totally freaking out when the Parasites started to fall :lol

Cranehand2ndComing said:
Thank you Buttonbasher for your awesome summary. One question I have is
that if Tagruato was actively trying to find the monster for themselves, how did they know it existed and where it was?
Not sure how they knew it existed, but a character from the inside of Tagruato, named "The Whistle Blower" sent out messages with Slusho T-Shirt orders. Those who emailed Slusho got an email a while ago, with an image of Sonar. I'm guessing they monitor the sea beds for good drilling locations and found that. But the Whistle blower told that theres no oil at the station. So maybe Tagruato was looking for Deep Sea Nectar. Then I would guess that while they were there they found the monster or the monster found them.

/theory

JdFoX187 said:

They could do some amazing things for DVD extras, and I can only hope that they do. Like a feature on the how the Marketing worked, and connected to the film plz.

sefskillz said:
It was a Tagruato satellite.
Thats still just a theory.
And with Matt Reeves talking that it's where we get an idea of the origins of the monster, or something like that, I can hardly imagine how the Tagruato Satellite could be connected. Plus wouldn't something falling from space fall faster, and be on fire or something?

After seeing this movie, I was really confused about why so many people didn't want it spoiled and shit, considering its just a big monster movie
(I saw heard so much shit about "How do you know its even a MONSTER", like its some kind of stupid killing "black cloud" (/irony) or something, but after seeing the viral marketing shit, I understand.) Still, it IS just a monster movie, and everyone going into the movie knows it's a monster movie.[/rant]

Still, I LOVED the movie, and I really appreciate your posts, Button.

JdFoX187

Banned
I think the shortest release was around five weeks and that was for Flight of the Phoenix.

I don't mind movies releasing on DVD within three to four months. Let's face it, most people are only going to see the movie once. Especially during these off-months for theaters, it's best to release the DVDs within a fairly short amount of time. That way, the movie is still fresh in everyone's minds and it'd probably be cheaper than going to see it again.

Count Dookkake said:
No. Day and date has already happened.

When?

fistfulofmetal said:
It's only going to get faster. I've read about how DVD's may eventually come out day and date with the box office release.

I really don't want to derail this thread, but how would this be a successful business venture for either the distribution companies or (ESPECIALLY) the movie theatres?

JdFoX187

Banned
Cranehand2ndComing said:
When?

I really don't want to derail this thread, but how would this be a successful business venture for either the distribution companies or (ESPECIALLY) the movie theatres?
I imagine there'll be a lot of people who still want to experience the movie in the theater. I know I would.

JdFoX187 said:
I imagine there'll be a lot of people who still want to experience the movie in the theater. I know I would.

Well I would too, but if you think about how America works these days, with On Demand, Netflix, etc., that would BRUTALIZE the big screen industry.

JdFoX187

Banned
Cranehand2ndComing said:
Well I would too, but if you think about how America works these days, with On Demand, Netflix, etc., that would BRUTALIZE the big screen industry.
Yeah, that's probably true. I don't think shortening the release windows will hurt them too bad, at least on off-season releases like Cloverfield. I Am Legend is taking in more than $200 million domestically and was released in a traditionally slow time. A quick release would really keep the revenues coming in.

As long as the studios don't openly publicise a release date right after the movie hits theaters, I don't think it'll do too much.

Cranehand2ndComing said:

The way I personally see it happening is like how you go see a concert, then you're able to buy the CD of the band on your way out.

Maybe going to see the movie allows you the chance to get the DVD at reduced price or something? I dunno.

But it's a fact that DVD's are going to continue coming out sooner.

fistfulofmetal said:
The way I personally see it happening is like how you go see a concert, then you're able to buy the CD of the band on your way out.

Maybe going to see the movie allows you the chance to get the DVD at reduced price or something? I dunno.

But it's a fact that DVD's are going to continue coming out sooner.

Well that's only if they set up a DVD service at the movie theatre complete with ticket verification, which would be a pretty worthless enterprise, IMO. I think we've reached the minimum amount of time a DVD can come out after a big release (codeword:big).

Phoenix

Buttonbasher said:
Thats still just a theory.
And with Matt Reeves talking that it's where we get an idea of the origins of the monster, or something like that, I can hardly imagine how the Tagruato Satellite could be connected. Plus wouldn't something falling from space fall faster, and be on fire or something?

Terminal Velocity

The fact that the monster has abilities and features that aren't even in this movie is fucking insane. And that the guy who designed it made sure it was evolutionarily accurate is amazing. Reading that makes me NEED a sequel. We need more of this monster. It's only a fucking baby! Imagine what'll happen if it grows up?

At the VERY least there'd better be an in-depth featurette about designing the monster. And now I want a movie that follows the guy filming on the bridge! Let's see Clover use those "people suckers" it has on its stomach!!

El Papa

This is what Reeves says in the same interview ryutaro's mama quoted, at the end of the interview:

Did you see the thing in the last shot? In the final shot there's a little something, and I don't wanna say what it is. The final shot before the titles. The stuff at Coney Island, there's a little something there and I don't want to give it away 'cause the fun is sort of to find it, but I will say this: there's a funny thing, you look at the shot and until you see it you don't see it and you really don't see it and obviously you don't 'cause none of you have seen it, but once you see it you'll never stop seeing it.

CS: It's the thing dropping in the water, right?

Reeves: Ahh, you saw it.
Like I said before, I'm inclined to believe, especially in the context of the movie and this interview, and with the stuff on the Despoiler Wiki saying that the Tagruato satellite was tracking something (how could it track something if it's crashed in the ocean?),
that the thing is the monster.

My theory:

- Monster crashes, hibernation mode in the ocean
- Tagruato mining for deep sea nectar has a station nearby, get's a sonar
- Tagruato tries to collect the monster, monster get's pissed and wipes out the station
- TIDO gets there and find nothing, meanwhile monster is heading to New York.

Now, I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as Buttonmasher on the ARG stuff, so I may have some details wrong. But here is a press release from the ARG that clearly proves that the UFO (Unidentified Falling Object, lulz) is NOT the Tagruato satellite, and tries to pass off the UFO as a piece from another satellite:

Hatsui Satellite Works for the Futura
[snip]
....In their latest gesture to reach out to fellow man, Tagruato used the Hatsui satellite to try to identify a rogue piece that is thought to have fallen off of the Japanese Government's "ChimpanzIII" satellite. Although Hatsui’s work has not yet been able to confirm the identity of the fallen piece, Tagruato scientists and engineers are busily trying to track and recover the fragment. According to Hatsui data, it disappeared into the Atlantic Ocean late last week.

Bold Futura's Head Aeronautical Engineer Wada Arinori proudly touted the watchdog effort as the first of many. Hunched happily over a computer, he beamed, "In my 11 years for Tagruato, I see us grow in power, and also in caring. Such teamwork effort is huge stride."

Future plans for the Bold Futura space program are still under wraps. Although with the success of Hatsui and ample funds dedicated to development and galactic research, it is certain to be big. Added Yoshida, "Our first step into space was a triumphant one. Our next will be unforgettable."

I'm of the opinion that the "ChimpanzIII" stuff is a cover up for the the monster. The only thing that confuses me is the production notes, but maybe they changed some shit during production. Or maybe the UFO is a piece of another satellite and they woke up the monster trying to recover it. I think the cover up angle works better considering.

El Papa said:
This is what Reeves says in the same interview ryutaro's mama quoted, at the end of the interview:

Like I said before, I'm inclined to believe, especially in the context of the movie and this interview, and with the stuff on the Despoiler Wiki saying that the Tagruato satellite was tracking something (how could it track something if it's crashed in the ocean?),
that the thing is the monster.

My theory:

- Monster crashes, hibernation mode in the ocean
- Tagruato mining for deep sea nectar has a station nearby, get's a sonar
- Tagruato tries to collect the monster, monster get's pissed and wipes out the station
- TIDO gets there and find nothing, meanwhile monster is heading to New York.

Now, I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as Buttonmasher on the ARG stuff, so I may have some details wrong. But here is a press release from the ARG that clearly proves that the UFO (Unidentified Falling Object, lulz) is NOT the Tagruato satellite, and tries to pass off the UFO as a piece from another satellite:

I'm of the opinion that the "ChimpanzIII" stuff is a cover up for the the monster. The only thing that confuses me is the production notes, but maybe they changed some shit during production. Or maybe the UFO is a piece of another satellite and they woke up the monster trying to recover it. I think the cover up angle works better considering.
We're in a weird position here when JJ Abrams says the monster has been under the water for thousands of years, but all evidence seems to point the other way.

I figure we won't know the whole story until a DVD release, or sequel.
But I would like to think that this thing isn't just a space alien.

NotWii

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:

HELMET: How could there be a cassette of Spaceballs - the Movie. We're still in the middle of making it.

SANDURZ: That's true, sir, but there's been a new breakthrough in home-video marketing.

HELMET: There has?

SANDURZ: Yes. Instant cassettes. They're out in stores before the movie is finished.

Wii said:
HELMET: How could there be a cassette of Spaceballs - the Movie. We're still in the middle of making it.

SANDURZ: That's true, sir, but there's been a new breakthrough in home-video marketing.

HELMET: There has?

SANDURZ: Yes. Instant cassettes. They're out in stores before the movie is finished.
:lol

ckohler

I understand people's desire to want to see the monster in detail but after you see the movie you'll realize that the monster is most menacing when you only see bits and pieces of it occluded by buildings far in the distance. Your imagination fills in the rest to great effect.

My favorite shot of the monster is
the footage being shot by the local TV stations where they can't get a clear shot of it
. You end up only getting a vague impression of what it is at that point. Great stuff.

Alcander

so I'm sure this was discussed, but did anyone else get motion sickness from the movie? I loved the concept and execution of the movie, and wanted to enjoy it more, but I had a pretty fierce headache throughout half of it. Strange, because I don't get motion sickness from other forms of entertainment (FPSes, etc)

JdFoX187

Banned
ckohler said:
I understand people's desire to want to see the monster in detail but after you see the movie you'll realize that the monster is most menacing when you only see bits and pieces of it occluded by buildings far in the distance. Your imagination fills in the rest to great effect.

My favorite shot of the monster is
the footage being shot by the local TV stations where they can't get a clear shot of it
. You end up only getting a vague impression of what it is at that point. Great stuff.
I loved the scene where
They were trying to rescue Beth from the building and Hud turned the camera down the road and you could see the monster, for a brief second, walking between the buildings toward them.

ckohler

Buttonbasher said:
First, why did I not question how they were taping over stuff on an SD card. Did anyone else find that strange?
I think the SD card mentioned at the beginning of the film belongs to the government. On it is a copy of the footage recovered from the standard DV camcorder Hud was using.

Onemic

I find it quite funny that most of the damn story isn't even in the movie, but found on the damn internet.

This movie honestly could have been something great. The beginning and middle are perfect....and then it just ends. You know as much when walking out of the theater as you do when walking in.

onemic said:
I find it quite funny that most of the damn story isn't even in the movie, but found on the damn internet.

This movie honestly could have been something great. The beginning and middle are perfect....and then it just ends. You know as much when walking out of the theater as you do when walking in.

heard of a non game? This is a non-movie.

Flynn

onemic said:
I find it quite funny that most of the damn story isn't even in the movie, but found on the damn internet. .

The shit you're talking about isn't story. It's back-story. It's the kind of stuff that bogged down and ruined Star Wars or the silly non-sense that pads out the Halo universe in all those novels.

All narrative/story really needs is conflict. The rest is just window dressing.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
isn't there a theory that the place where they was drilling was near a tip of the Bermuda Triangle....where did I heard that...

coldvein

Banned
Flynn said:
The shit you're talking about isn't story. It's back-story. It's the kind of stuff that bogged down and ruined Star Wars or the silly non-sense that pads out the Halo universe in all those novels.

exactly. i really enjoyed the movie just as it was. reading all these posts of "it was the yatsubo satellite!" and "it came from the smushee corporation!" just leave me scratching my head. i guess if you've got the time and you're enjoying yourself, have fun digging into the backstory. i thought Cloverfield rocked on it's own as an innovative yet popcorny monster/horror flick.

border

Flynn said:
People think that one of the requirements of plot is that the movie stop every ten minutes so characters can spew back story. It also helps to have a news reporter narrating events for the particularly dense. A scientist should explain everything in detail, then a just-the-facts soldier should tell Poindexter to tell us in English EXACTLY WHAT'S GOING ON. A three minute scroll before and after the movie that wraps every other retarded detail in a nice package is usually necessary as well.
It's such a shame that you have to be on strike, and cannot write this deftly-told epic for us.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I really enjoy all the exact marketing backstory they did, it ties into the movie to fill in some of the little pot holes :D

bluemax

Banned
Cranehand2ndComing said:
After seeing this movie, I was really confused about why so many people didn't want it spoiled and shit, considering its just a big monster movie
(I saw heard so much shit about "How do you know its even a MONSTER", like its some kind of stupid killing "black cloud" (/irony) or something, but after seeing the viral marketing shit, I understand.) Still, it IS just a monster movie, and everyone going into the movie knows it's a monster movie.[/rant]

Still, I LOVED the movie, and I really appreciate your posts, Button.

Its not a monster movie. Its a disaster movie masquerading as a monster movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom