• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDub

Crushed said:
IT'S FUCKING TERRIFYING

THERE IS NO MESSAGE BECAUSE IT'S JUST A TERRIFYING DAY FOR ORDINARY PEOPLE

Jesus Christ, not every movie should a fucking metaphor for world philosophy or loss or insecurity, set in a world inhabited by appealing and dramatic people spouting lines at appropriate moments.

Christ, dude...calm the hell down. Just as not every movie should be metaphoric, not every opinion has to be in line with yours! You're probably the most annoying person in this thread. Trying to read it to get some opinions and a whiny guy gets mad because someone disagrees.

Fuck.

Anyway, the movie was great. The pit of my stomach still feels low and heavy. I really really cared about the people. At the same time, I feel a bit sick. Its like the same feeling I got from Blair Witch. Not scary, really intense, really shaky. The movie had a crazy amount of dread.

bluemax

Banned
TemplaerDude said:
i'm pretty sure there's a monster in it.

Right but this movie has more in common with something like Volcano or Dante's Peak. Replace a Volcano with a monster and there you go.

Godzilla this is not.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yeah

The movie really isn't centered around the monster at all but instead the people caught up in a disaster that no one clearly understands.

I still feel shitty that Marlena died, especially the way she did. That looked like one hell of way to go... And was I the only one that was pissed when it turned out that Lilly was the only one to survive the whole thing?

Great Monster.

True story: I had a dream today that looked a lot like the commercials from Cloverfield, but instead of some giant monster attacking the city, it turned out to be the gremlins from Gremlins. It was a pretty awesome dream for one of those "one hour, alarm woke you up but you went back to sleep anyways" dreams.

Costanza

Banned
I went and saw it again at a DLP theater today and it was even more awesome.

but I still didn't catch the goddamn thing falling into the water
, and "Roar!" (Cloverfield Overture) was realllllly cool, is there anyplace I can get it?

Saw the movie last night, the beginning with the constant twitching and talking to randoms i was like "... ..." but then when the movie picked up pace, it was amazing.:D

Dizzle24

Hope there is a sequel.

They need to explain where the monster came from.
And also, who is watching the tape, and why.( I know the government has the tape, but still..

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
I don't wanna read through the thread because I'm afraid of spoilers, so someone who has been reading the thread, is the consensus that it's worth seeing or not?

h0pper said:
I don't wanna read through the thread because I'm afraid of spoilers, so someone who has been reading the thread, is the consensus that it's worth seeing or not?
I've seen more positive than negative.

You'll either Love it or hate it.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
Buttonbasher said:
I've seen more positive than negative.

You'll either Love it or hate it.

Well I've wanted to see it ever since I saw the trailer so I'm hoping I'll enjoy it. I'm gonna go see it. Thanks for the quick reply ;D

Replicant

Saw it last night. Not bad. The only thing that bothers me is that I actually like the chemistry between
Rob and Lily. So I have difficulty accepting Rob's obsession with Beth

border

h0pper said:
Just don't go in expecting to know any major backstory about the monster (or any major afterstory beyond the main characters' plight), and you should be fine.

Replicant said:
Saw it last night. Not bad. The only thing that bothers me is that I actually like the chemistry between
Rob and Lily. So I have difficulty accepting Rob's obsession with Beth
Rob's known Beth since college

fistfulofmetal said:
Longer than that.
Hud said they knew each other since college. Earlier in the thread I said they knew each other forever.

But I think we can safely conclude that Beth and Rob DO in fact know each other.

cloverfield was awesome, and i really can't understand how anyone could question why rob, lily or hud would want to go back.

as for marlena, there are a number of reasons, not wanting to be left alone, not wanting to look the 'odd man out', or maybe she's just a nice person underneath it all?

Scopebob Sniperpants said:
Cloverfield Monster vs Wander from SoTC?
this reminds me... wanderer goes up against well over a dozen monsters, all for a girl, but rob only going into the territory of one monster is a stretch for some people!

Teh Hamburglar said:
So, how exactly did it knock off the statue of liberty's head?

well, if that scale is correct i guess it could have batted it into manhattan.
except it would have come from the opposite direction.

which is kind of funny because a friend of mine also from the NYC are noted the exact same thing.

temp said:
You expected her to explode?
i watched the trailers and commercials and i was sure she would explode as soon as they showed that she got bit...

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
off to see again with the bf next week - he missed out the first time :p

im excited to see it all again, particuarly the final coney island shot. i've seen pix but i want to see it in the context of rest of the movie. can't wait. i was so not fussed about seeing this, and it's now one of, if not my favourite, movies of the last year.

ziegen

I liked the movie a lot. Had a blast watching it.

Is there any video or pictures of the thing fallilng from the sky at the end? I missed it in the movie, and I'm kinda curious as to what is being talked about.

Loved it, just one complaint. There's always a situation in these kind of movies where the characters would just drop the fucking camera and run. Other than that, pretty cool movie.

Tr4nce

Holy SHIT!! Just saw it here in Holland and I was absolutely stunned! Still am!

No spoiler part:

- The bits and pieces where you get to see what attacks Manhattan are plentyful and awesome! I was so baffled at the imagery sometimes, and the sound design is just wicked. The first 15 minutes are used for chit chatter, but after that the whole movie was a rollercoaster ride. The moments I'm talking about look so well done and totally realistical, IMO.

SPOILER PART:

- Isn't it obvious after the ending that the monster came from outer space or something? You can see something crash into the water, on the far horizon. Anyway, I like to know your opinions about this. Furthermore, the scenes with the monster were so effin' sweet! Especially the part with the tail hitting the bridge and the part where Rob & co are in Beth's apartment, and you see the monster walking/running towards the camera. Metro scene was cool too.

I have a few questions though:

Where exactly was the monster when it's tail hit the bridge? Was it hiding in the water or something?

What landed in the water at the end?

Did the monster hide or something, in a few scenes? Because for example, right in the beginning it walks behind the building, and then you hear some massive sounds, but after that it gets quiet. How come? Is it suddenly disappearing or something? Same with the bridge scene. You hear it and you see it, and then you don't.

AWESOME movie.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, just got back from watching Cloverfield and well, on one level I really, really enjoyed this film and on another level this film annoyed me to no end and I hated it, if this makes any sense.

raYne

Shard said:
Right, just got back from watching Cloverfield and well, on one level I really, really enjoyed this film and on another level this film annoyed me to no end and I hated it, if this makes any sense.
Just got back a few mins ago and have pretty much the same feelings.

The whole intro/party scene dragged on way too long. It did have it's good parts however (Hud ftw). It was great when the action started and pretty much through the rest of the movie. Then at the end, we all went "that's it?" First movie in a long time where we didn't even have a conversation about it on the way home.

What I did like is after the movie ended, the screen went black and the credits started.. everyone in the theater just sat there in silence like "....". Then we all just shuffled out and no one said anything. :lol

raYne said:

The whole intro/party scene dragged on way too long. It did have it's good parts however (Hud ftw). It was great when the action started and pretty much through the rest of the movie. Then at the end, we all went "that's it?" First movie in a long time where we didn't even have a conversation about it on the way home.

What I did like is after the movie ended, the screen went black and the credits started.. everyone in the theater just sat there in silence like "....". Then we all just shuffled out and no one said anything. :lol
It was the quietest audience I've ever been in. When
the helicopter crashes and you're just looking inside the wreckage without camera movement.
The entire crowd was silent. Eerie.

I actually had the opposite experience. When the
helicopter crashed and the screen went black
this guy a couple of rows behind me made a farting noise. The timing of it made me laugh :lol

Crushed

Fry Daddy
I was lucky enough to be in a theater with only four other people.

Thank God, usually when I go to the movies I get the "WHOO" and "DAYUM THAT'S SCARY" crowd.

Crushed said:
I was lucky enough to be in a theater with only four other people.

Thank God, usually when I go to the movies I get the "WHOO" and "DAYUM THAT'S SCARY" crowd.
I was worried about that when an aisle of High School punks rolled through, but even they were quiet.

Christopher

I remember coming home with my friends from the movie and they were like oh how unrealistic was it that he just came up and grabbed their helecopter - I was like guys a fucking monster is in NYC and you complaign about that? :lol

Maybe I'll get when it comes out on video - perhaps it was the large screen that made me sick?

G-Off

JayDub said:
Anyway, the movie was great. The pit of my stomach still feels low and heavy. I really really cared about the people. At the same time, I feel a bit sick. Its like the same feeling I got from Blair Witch. Not scary, really intense, really shaky. The movie had a crazy amount of dread.
I feel the same way. It was a great movie, but the way it was shot and how real the characters seemed to be (considering the camera and the fact that a majority of what happened seemed like something someone would actually do during something like that.) I got so attached to the characters it was weird, kind of like I was actually seeing these people die.

Moose

Buttonbasher said:
It was the quietest audience I've ever been in. When
the helicopter crashes and you're just looking inside the wreckage without camera movement.
The entire crowd was silent. Eerie.
quoted for same experience.

Vyer

layzie1989 said:
I actually had the opposite experience. When the
helicopter crashed and the screen went black
this guy a couple of rows behind me made a farting noise. The timing of it made me laugh :lol

Both you and the guy who made the noise should be shot.

I'm sorry, I really didn't mean that.

Maybe.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
raYne said:

Yep, that was pretty much my experience at the end.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I think its kinda funny how people say its unrealistic that someone carries a video camera through all this when you have hundreds of amateur tapes of hurricanes, tsunamis, robberies, earthquakes/avalanches, 9/11, and bombings worldwide.

black_13

Banned
Just saw it and I will say I enjoyed it. Glad they didn't go into so much detail and explain the monster since the way I see it, the more you know the less your scared.

And yea where are the pix of the thing at the end?

Tr4nce

I woke up today, and the movie is still haunting my head! Awesome movie. Will have to go see it again, tomorrow or something :lol

Tr4nce said:
I woke up today, and the movie is still haunting my head! Awesome movie. Will have to go see it again, tomorrow or something :lol

I swear, out of my friends group, I'm the only one that truly loved it. It's kind of annoying. Well, my friend I watched it with liked it a lot but he isn't hard to satisfy when it comes to movies. I just hate seeing something as fun and intense as this, feeling great about it, recommending it to friends who at least up until this point loves this sort of thing, only to get negative feedback. I'm not saying the feedback is stupid, I halfway understand where they're coming from, but I strongly disagree with it.

I just think this was a damn intense and unique movie and I wish more filmmakers would wake up and try new things such as Reeves and Abrams have on this. And if I'm the only person I know (offline at least) who absolutely loved this film, that sucks, but I'll take it to the grave with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom