• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Green Party files for Wisconsin recount, audit

Status
Not open for further replies.
All according to plan.

jbkPjjw.jpg
has hillary ever been photographed with jill stein? seems like an obvious attempt to throw off questions of conflict of interest.

Got a take that's super hot for y'all, it's about Hillary being a hypocrite because she's secretly using Jill Stein to get a recount after calling Donald a threat to democracy on Twitter and also infected children she molested in a pizza oven with super AIDS

Calamari41

41 > 38
Trump calling it a "scam", told you he would freak out. Scared? You know he would be doing the same if he lost.

Even if it does nothing, seeing them tremble is something I want to see before I have to endure Trump making decisions that will effect millions of lives.

That's not him freaking out. He is laughing at the people pushing this, along with almost everyone else paying attention.

Got a take that's super hot for y'all, it's about Hillary being a hypocrite because she's secretly using Jill Stein to get a recount after calling Donald a threat to democracy on Twitter and also infected children she molested in a pizza oven with super AIDS

If they believed e-mails were equivalent to true evil in this world, they'll end up believing this too.

If they believed e-mails were equivalent to true evil in this world, they'll end up believing this too.

I mean, you've got Lewandowski and Conway setting up the narrative so blatantly. The worst part about this if you think about it, is that Hillary was gracious and dignified in defeat but these fuckers are still finding ways to punish her.

MIMIC

Banned
How much did Jill Stein raise in her entire Presidential campaign?

EDIT: I see. About $3.5 million.

And has nearly doubled that in a couple of days in an effort that won't even benefit her? Impressive.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
How much did Jill Stein raise in her entire Presidential campaign?

EDIT: I see. About $3.5 million.

And has nearly doubled that in a couple of days in an effort that won't even benefit her? Impressive.

How does this not benefit her again?

Theonik

Clearly the entire foundation of Democracy has been shaken to its core with this request to recount some votes.
Recounts are quite normal. It's extremely unlikely you won't get different counts if you do. It is similarly unlikely you will flip the results though. It will usually follow a margin of error unless there is fraud going on.

soco

How does this not benefit her again?

Exactly. This is likely more positive press for her than she's received in the last year.

It's a shame her political views are f'n terrible, especially for a green party candidate. It's especially unfortunate that she's the one behind this and it's gone so well for her because it's just going to encourage her to continue with politics.

KingBroly

Banned
I still don't know how she's going to prove fraud happened in Pennsylvania.

EDIT: So...wait, Clinton has to request in PA? Stein apparently can't because she's not close? Or am I wrong?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
What's been debunked? It's just saying audits are needed to ensure no tampering took place. And to set better precedents

Again flip this and ask yourself if somebody was recounting because it looked weird in favor of hillary. Nothing looks weird acvording to all major pundits. There is no actual evidence of tampering. There is plenty of voter suppression but no mysterious hacker Boogeyman.

KingBroly

Banned
Again flip this and ask yourself if somebody was recounting because it looked weird in favor of hillary. Nothing looks weird acvording to all major pundits. There is no actual evidence of tampering. There is plenty of voter suppression but no mysterious hacker Boogeyman.

I believe in PA Clinton herself would have to prove actual voter fraud before a recount was allowed to take place. Not only in the state, but in each of the state's 9,000 districts. My understanding is that Stein herself cannot do this because she's not within 1% of Trump. Then again, neither is Clinton.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I believe in PA Clinton herself would have to prove actual voter fraud before a recount was allowed to take place. Not only in the state, but in each of the state's 9,000 districts. My understanding is that Stein herself cannot do this because she's not within 1% of Trump. Then again, neither is Clinton.

What does that have to do with my post?

KingBroly

Banned
What does that have to do with my post?

The Russian hacker thing

;_;

I'm sorry, but I know it's a stretch. I just quoted you out of reflex. I humbly apologize. I just wanna try and help get people information about this, but I feel like I'm doing a mixed job at it.

Cipherr

What the what?

The hell happened here? We were all collectively laughing at Jill Steins crazy ass a few days ago, and now that she succeeded in getting the money needed a narrative has emerged claiming Hillary is behind it all?

How does this shit work exactly? I seriously continue to be shocked at how every stupid/bad thing that happens ANYWHERE is eventually tied to Hillary by way of some sort of broken logic. Unbelievable.

Its not some secret Clinton plan. Jill Stein is just a nutcase. She was always a nutcase.

soco

What the what?

The hell happened here? We were all collectively laughing at Jill Steins crazy ass a few days ago, and now that she succeeded in getting the money needed a narrative has emerged claiming Hillary is behind it all?

How does this shit work exactly? I seriously continue to be shocked at how every stupid/bad thing that happens ANYWHERE is eventually tied to Hillary by way of some sort of broken logic. Unbelievable.

Its not some secret Clinton plan. Jill Stein is just a nutcase. She was always a nutcase.

After having watched the last year in politics and the number of things people have tried to blame hillary for, is this really a surprise? She is clearly a clearly the Moriarty of our time. A real puppet master with strings in every branch of the government and solely responsible for every single negative thing since the early 90s.

Men would've been prosecuted immediately for this!

Dude Abides

Banned
Jill Stein has no credibility to lose by requesting a recount and she has zero chance of winning the election with a recount. But if Hillary wins the recount maybe Jill Stein gets a sweet spot on Hillary's cabinet... And Hillary doesn't look like a fool if the recount comes up empty.

It's pretty much win-win for all parties involved.

I'd say at the worst it's 50/50 Hillary is pulling the strings.

Don't forget George Soros and other (((globalists)))

carlsojo

So what happens if they do a recount and it's like holy shit:

A) Clinton actually won

or

B) Clinton actually won, and "lost" due to Russian hacking interference or whatever.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So what happens if they do a recount and it's like holy shit:

A) Clinton actually won

or

B) Clinton actually won, and "lost" due to Russian hacking interference or whatever.

Neither of these things will happen, unfortunately, any tampering occurred at the level of propaganda and voter suppression, not falsified ballots

But I still think this is worth doing symbolically. Its worth saying "hey. we take this seriously. we're going to be thorough"

soco

I kinda think the election was hacked...

It's hard for me to believe the polls were so off.

It wasn't so much the 'polls' that were off as the models and the processes. This debate was ongoing before the election as so many people were giving Nate Silver shit because his models were showing significantly less confidence in a Hillary win. They've known for a while that the likely voter model is screwy. They include/exclude people based on likelihood to vote, then count different groups at differing levels. They're not reporting simple averages, and they're also often relatively samples.

This also isn't the first time it's happened. In 2012, Gallup's polling data continuously showed Obama trailing Romney, and I believe they didn't bother with this election. There was a fun article about the LA Times polling where a single conservative leaning minority dude dragged their polls down several points for like a week or two.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I kinda think the election was hacked...

It's hard for me to believe the polls were so off.

I kinda believe aliens kidnapped elvis.

Same and I usually hate conspiracy theories, but everything about this election is weird.

It's easy to hate conspiracy theories until it's something you care about. Your bias is clouding your judgement.

Edit-

It wasn't so much the 'polls' that were off as the models and the processes. This debate was ongoing before the election as so many people were giving Nate Silver shit because his models were showing significantly less confidence in a Hillary win. They've known for a while that the likely voter model is screwy. They include/exclude people based on likelihood to vote, then count different groups at differing levels. They're not reporting simple averages, and they're also often relatively samples.

This also isn't the first time it's happened. In 2012, Gallup's polling data continuously showed Obama trailing Romney, and I believe they didn't bother with this election. There was a fun article about the LA Times polling where a single conservative leaning minority dude dragged their polls down several points for like a week or two.

Bingo. Gaffers were calling Nate a moron just because he had Trump closing in from time to time. After the FBI announcement Trump's odds went up 5% a day on 538

Totakeke

The state level polls were off. The national polls were pretty accurate in the end. Give people who build models more credit. They're not just twiddling their thumbs. Plus a 80%+ chance of winning still means up to 20% chance of losing.

soco

The state level polls were off. The national polls were pretty accurate in the end. Give people who build models more credit. They're not just twiddling their thumbs. Plus a 80%+ chance of winning still means up to 20% chance of losing.

Well a distinction should be made between the polls and a prediction. Many of the predictions were based on more complicated models that aggregated various polling data and weighted it differently. But as you say, even an 80% chance leaves a 20% chance that it could happen, which is still pretty significant.

Event with the state polls it depends on the specific polls, but so much of this still revolves around the models they use to estimate and the samples they have access to or respond. For those based on the likely voters, they weight/exclude/include variably based on voting in previous elections and how likely they think they are to vote. That can exclude or poorly weight people who didn't vote this time or who didn't vote in the 2008 or 2012 election but were motivated to vote this time. Plus there's still some long-standing methodological issues with the way polls have been run with the rise of cell phones. Here's a New York Times article discussing some of these biases.

Those paying close attention to the 2016 election should exercise caution as they read the polls. Because of the high cost, the difficulty in locating the small number of voters who will actually turn out in primaries and the increasing reliance on non-probability Internet polls, you are likely to see a lot of conflicting numbers. To make matters still worse, the cellphone problem is more acute in states than it is at the national level, because area codes and exchanges often no longer respect state or congressional boundaries. Some polling organizations will move to sampling from voter lists, which will miss recently registered voters and campaigns’ efforts to mobilize them.

This shit isn't simple, and we're not educating people well enough. Also, pollsters aren't being transparent enough with their methods to allow people to find issues. (The LATimes poll is an exception, as they did take that model and explain what some thought was going wrong.)

Downhome

Like it or not, this does make the dems (and Jill Stein) look like sore losers to the average person and I don't blame them for building it up like this. It's truly ridiculous. Very few of those taking up for it now would be taking up for it if the tables were turned. They were already setting the stage to do the opposite before Trump won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom