• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: US drops its largest conventional bomb (MOAB) on ISIS target in Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

crpav

Not condoning or praising this or any war/violence or anything but what side does anyone choose. Do nothing and allow terrorists and extremists to carry out very gruesome acts of violence and terrorism and post how bad it is and sick you feel about it then say something needs to be done but then when this is done it's complaints of violence used to try and wipe out terrorists.

Look, violence and war sucks but the day you can just sit down and talk with terrorists to persuade them to stop their ways and change is the day Trump get's a 100% approval rating. Not happening!

jchap

Why are we using the new weapons we have spent hundreds of millions developing specifically to counter enemies sheltering like this!?! Outrageous!

Hope it killed lots of ISIS members

EloKa

Why are we using the new weapons we have spent hundreds of millions developing specifically to counter enemies sheltering like this!?! Outrageous!
and propably way more civilians than ISIS members as well. But who cares. USA! USA!

Nev

Banned
ISIS isnt just a terrorist group they are effectively a nation, you can bomb nations away.

They have been losing land for a while now to Assad, SDF and Iraq. The last two were significantly helped by us air strikes.

And when they're done for, a new bunch of scummy idiots claiming they're chosen by holy spirits will claim their spot and the cycle will begin anew.

The USA bombing the hell out of things is not going to fix the problem, if anything it's only going to make it worse.

"Look children! Look what the evil guys did to us, they bombed our country!!"

Stronger indoctrination, that's the only thing this is good for, apart from being some kind of wicked entertainment for the imbecile of Trump.

Not condoning or praising this or any war/violence or anything but what side does anyone choose. Do nothing and allow terrorists and extremists to carry out very gruesome acts of violence and terrorism and post how bad it is and sick you feel about it then say something needs to be done but then when this is done it's complaints of violence used to try and wipe out terrorists.

Look, violence and war sucks but the day you can just sit down and talk with terrorists to persuade them to stop their ways and change is the day Trump get's a 100% approval rating. Not happening!

Im pretty sure there's options between "do nothing" and "drop the Mother of All Bombs"
Like I said, I feel anyone cheering for this would've supported "deforestation" during the Vietnam War.

Aikidoka

Also Japan gets huge passes, but is still quite extremist. Just read up on it these sources are everywhere. But that stuff happened to Asian people, so westerners don't care as much. Also the USA and Britain got that "juicy data" from the conveyor belt vivisection and human testings. SO they looked the other way.

Till this day, people are outraged over this. Germany maybe faced it's past. Japan? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Maybe some common soldiers that apologized, but they are vilified in Japan by the Black Van Fanatics that blast their crap while driving through neighborhoods.

Damn. I've just recently developed the will to learn historiography, and still have a lot of gaps to fill. Thanks for the comment/perspective.

Ri'Orius

Like many have pointed out itt, pundits are going to go nuts over Trump's warmongering and how presidential he is. But of course killary was a warhawk, a mindless warmonger who would start ww3.

Did the media criticize Clinton on being a warhawk? I don't generally watch the news, but I've always gotten the impression that the mainstream media loves war no matter who's waging it and the anti-war sentiment leveled at Clinton was more of an internet commenter thing.

Fucking horrible.

This administration is a god damned nightmare and a disaster all rolled into one. I can't say I'll ever forgive the people that put this douchebag into office. They're all complicit in this shit show.

I feel the same way, I still get along (On the outside) with my father who voted for Trump, but I just can't look at him the same way anymore...I've tried to talk to him but he's gone...it's bizzare..

Everyday I'm reminded how dangerous and insane this admin. is and lately I've just been so angry that my family was complicit in bringing them to power.

Lautaro

And when they're done for, a new bunch of scummy idiots claiming they're chosen by holy spirits will claim their spot and the cycle will being anew.

The USA bombing the hell out of things is not going to fix the problem, if anything it's only going to make it worse.

"Look children! Look what the evil guys did to us, they bombed our country!!"

Stronger indoctrination, that's the only thing this is good for, apart from being some kind of wicked entertainment for the imbecile of Trump.

You should tell this to the Peshmergas and the Irak forces, they are clearly wasting their time fighting ISIS.

Im pretty sure there's options between "do nothing" and "drop the Mother of All Bombs"

Maybe don't get carried away by the nickname? Its only 11 tons of TNT, if this was 11 bombs of 1 ton each it wouldn't be news. Obama dropped 109 bombs in his last strike against Lybia and no one said anything here (because it was a good move and message IMO).

Nobody gives a fuck about the Isis members it killed.

You don't drop a 1 mile radius bomb without killing lots of innocent civilians who did nothing to deserve it.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
So why are we trusting Trump's administration on this again?

When it comes to bombing we take him at his word?

Do tell how this is a "war crime".

Indiscriminate and disproportionate use of force or something like that. But don't worry, I do know that since the US is top dog there is no one to judge against them, and might makes right. Heck, ISIS not being a proper military, you could probably do all sorts of heinous shit against them (and whatever civilians within one mile radius or more) and it wouldn't be judged as a war crime.

So congrats I guess, the US' hands are free to do whatevs. Charred corpses are so presidential.

EloKa

Lots of civilians living in cave networks in the middle of nowhere?

ISIS is known to use civilians as some kind of "human meat shield". It's also not unlikely that they are holding all those thousand kidnapped girls and women captive "somewhere".

Euphor!a

Banned
Indiscriminate and disproportionate use of force or something like that. But don't worry, I do know that since the US is top dog there is no one to judge against them, and might makes right. Heck, ISIS not being a proper military, you could probably do all sorts of heinous shit against them and it wouldn't be judged as a war crime.

So congrats I guess, the US' hands are free to do whatevs. Charred corpses are so presidential.

I don't think you know what indiscriminate means.

Lautaro

ISIS is known to use civilians as some kind of "human meat shield". It's also not unlikely that they are holding all those thousand kidnapped girls and women captive "somewhere".

What "thousand kidnapped girls and women captive"? the ones Boko Haram kidnapped? (around 300)

crpav

Like I said, I feel anyone cheering for this would've supported "deforestation" during the Vietnam War.

Yeah I guess it comes down to what is the answer? I have none either. No matter what, terrorists will still find ways to do what they do I suppose.

To play devils advocate though, those that are so against any war would we even be here as we are if your anti war stances were the actions taken in the civil war? World War I? World War II? If we didn't do anything in WWII we would all be speaking German.

Mr Croft

Doesn't Pentagon just mark all deaths as enemy fighters?
Enemy combatants per standard
Wait to see what reputable human rights organisations report in the next couple of days, not the US government and definitely not armchair generals on the internet.
Yea will have to really see what the outcome is before I really have an opinion. Just got to wait and see. Both sides will spin the hell out of this

yamaneko

Yeah, poor ISIS. What did they ever do to the world?

what means "world" for you?

for me world means the whole five continents of planet, and in these five continents north america don't have nothing to do on the another side of planet...

Watched people get excited over this is gross. Having people think better of Trump over this is even more gross.

Reddit and Imgur is full of people stroking themselves over this. What the fuck is wrong with people.

Ahh yes, the old "something like that" war crime.

Something like an attack which may be expected to cause incidental loss of civilian life, injury to civilians, damage to civilian objects, or a combination thereof, which would be excessive in relation to the concrete and direct military advantage anticipated.

SDCowboy

Something like an attack which may be expected to cause incidental loss of civilian life, injury to civilians, damage to civilian objects, or a combination thereof, which would be excessive in relation to the concrete and direct military advantage anticipated.

This was used to take out an ISIS cave system. This wasn't dropped on a town...

Damaniel

Banned
Watched people get excited over this is gross. Having people think better of Trump over this is even more gross.

Reddit and Imgur is full of people stroking themselves over this. What the fuck is wrong with people.

Even the websites for my local news stations are salivating like little puppy dogs over it. I think that Trump might have found a way back into the hearts of (some very shallow) Americans - but how many people will have to die for him to satiate his need for popularity?

This was used to take out an ISIS cave system. This wasn't dropped on a town...

Oh, you mean the US military says they didn't do anything wrong? Well then, my fears are allayed.

edit: but I'll say again, your side won. You get to kill however you wish and nobody can do anything. Why do you crave my acceptance for the slaughter?

Euphor!a

Banned
Oh, you mean the US military says they didn't do anything wrong? Well then, my fears are allayed.

edit: but I'll say again, your side won. You get to kill however you wish and nobody can do anything. Why do you crave my acceptance for the slaughter?

I love your confidence in arguing from a place of ignorance.

Your absolutely disgusting country breeds more terrorists and creates more refugees than ISIS can ever dream of.

SDCowboy

Honestly, do you even have any clue what the actual situation is here?

EloKa

And I think you are confused. The closest thing to "thousand girls kidnapped" I can find in Google is about sexual slavery in Syria and Irak: http://www.*****************/news/a...lavery-five-months-traded-openly-markets.html

So you think all those thousands of girls are somehow in tunnels in Afghanistan?

EDIT: fuck, banned source.

Do you really think that Boko Haram is the only terrorist group in the world that captures other people? You never red news "ISIS captured 120 People this week, 80 on that day, 40 on that day and here again 230" and so on and wondered if it ever may add up to a larger sum?

trying to make it clearer: ISIS is not Boko Haram. But both are groups that are known for kidnapping.

diehard

Fleer

Oh , so basically you have no idea if this was a war crime then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom