• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: US drops its largest conventional bomb (MOAB) on ISIS target in Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allot of people going nuts, but something to bear in mind is that this only a single bomb, not a whole bombardment, and that said I'm having a tough time finding footage or details on how wide and destructive the blast actually is.

It's in the OP. Has a mile radius destruction. This ain't no joke.

Selddon

Banned
tumblr_m7tdv9LUNA1qeeqito3_500.gif

jfkgoblue

Trump is trying to flex the US's muscles to help with his issues with China and NK. Now if that is the correct move....

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Cause why not use a MOAB before your kicked outta office so you can brag to your rich friends at Mar A Lago about the big booms you dropped?

Daisy Cutters are specifically MADE for clearing tunnels and such. Like what even is this news anymore..

Jezbollah

Allot of people going nuts, but something to bear in mind is that this only a single bomb, not a whole bombardment, and that said I'm having a tough time finding footage or details on how wide and destructive the blast actually is.

Well, the video in the OP states that the blast radius a mile in each direction..

sirap

If all it did was take out ISIS targets, I'm all for it. Why threaten our soldiers lives to try and take them out in an extended firefight, or risk many escaping from a conventional bombing where they could live to rape and murder another day? As long as the bomb is not nuclear and no innocents lives are lost, I don't have an issue.

I would love to live in this fantasy world.

kmfdmpig

Cause why not use a MOAB before your kicked outta office so you can brag to your rich friends at Mar A Lago about the big booms you dropped?

Daisy Cutters are specifically MADE for clearing tunnels and such. Like what even is this news anymore..
The Daisy Cutter was retired a decade ago and replaced by this.

I hope that this was in the middle of nowhere with no non-ISIS people around.

kswiston

It's in the OP. Has a mile radius destruction. This ain't no joke.

Seems high for 11 tons of TNT when nuclear bombs are measured in kilotons or megatons. I guess it goes to show you how powerful nuclear bombs are in comparison to the conventional variety.

A lot of generals don't want to do this. Most of the generals still have a very clear memory of what happened in Iraq and Afghanistan. McMaster himself is said to be very respectful of Muslims and thinks treating them as dangerous and painting them as the enemy is the stupidest thing the US could do as we have to work with these people after the fighting is over.

While I certainly believe this, there are still a lot of gung-ho generals out there. Someone had to bring these options up and I have a hard time believing Trump is actually putting much thought into this stuff. I can see him swinging his golf club while someone's reading him off some memo and he's just "Whatever, just get the job done". Trump's laziness has got to make him the biggest rubber stamp ever. The right person strokes his ego, he'll sign off on almost anything (as long as it doesn't help minorities in any way).

guek

Banned
You're probably thinking of the FOAB.

It's four times as powerful as a MOAB.
Supposedly, but a lot of military experts think that's an exaggeration by the Russians.

For comparison, FOAB reportedly has a blast yield of 44 tons of TNT, MOAB is 11 tons, Little Boy was 15 kilotons

kswiston

Supposedly, but a lot of military experts think that's an exaggeration by the Russians.

For comparison, FOAB reportedly has a blast yield of 44 tons of TNT, MOAB is 11 tons, Little Boy was 15 kilotons

Tsar Bomba was 57 megatons. So over 5 million times what this bomb was in terms of released energy.

Elandyll

Banned
Between the use of term "Non Nuclear" and the possible religious/ cultural impact these kind of actions have, couldn't help but think of EVA.

Hopefully we're not headed that way.

giphy.gif

gatormatt

How many civilians did we just murder?

The sad truth...

I had a feeling Trump would start to resort to this type of action after receiving the apparent approval from most that he did the right thing in Syria. He now believes that all he has to do is drop bombs to get a positive news cycle. This guy puts no serious thought into anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom