• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: US drops its largest conventional bomb (MOAB) on ISIS target in Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanafan

A mile blast radius more than likely means that civiliians were hit.

Well, if they hit the desert and its underground tunnels, then no. It all depends what was within this mile radius. I wouldn't think the bomb was meant to target a populated city area.

Amir0x

Banned
No. I left, was a refugee and then got citizenship in the West years ago but.. how can I not sympathize when I hear such things. This is insane.

Wow, I'm glad you were able to get out and stay safe then. I just thought it would be fascinating to have a GAFer currently in Afghanistan. Like what are the gaming markets like in Afghanistan? How does one become a game hobbyist there, what are the consoles? Be curious to find out how they made it to a game forum while still in Afghanistan.

Anyway, I understand. I'm not from Afghanistan and I sympathize. This is fucked up use of force.

Allot of people going nuts, but something to bear in mind is that this only a single bomb, not a whole bombardment, and that said I'm having a tough time finding footage or details on how wide and destructive the blast actually is.

It's super fucking destructive. And we have bunker busters specifically for getting underground targets. We haven't seen the intel, but given how fucked up Trump's administration is and how terrible their Yemen OP was and their Syria airstrike was, I feel fairly secure saying this is yet another attention grabbing opportunity for them. Irresponsibly using the strongest non nuke in our arsenal for the first time on the battlefield, wiping out a mile in any direction from the blast. Insanity.

This is 80 days in and he's escalated to this level. This is no joke.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Pepsi: We made the biggest mistake ever...
United Airlines: hold my beer...
Sean Spicer: leeeerooyyyy Jeennnnnkinnnsss
Donald trump:
trump_mug.jpg

The bomb was used in a remote area and meant to take out ISIS hidden in caves with pressure waves. I sincerely doubt the US would have dropped it if they knew many civilians were within the area.

The only way I could see this being acceptable is if it completely wiped out ISIS's top leadership.

Anything else and it's completely excessive.

E-Cat

The sad truth...

I had a feeling Trump would start to resort to this type of action after receiving the apparent approval from most that he did the right thing in Syria. He now believes that all he has to do is drop bombs to get a positive news cycle. This guy puts no serious thought into anything...
And neither do some gaffers, judging by that one thread where the guy's opinion of Trump went up after the thing in Syria. smh

Brandson

Did Trump need to seek congressional approval to drop a bomb of this magnitude?

Even if you strictly need congressional approval, that only matters if there would be consequences for not seeking approval. Trump probably feels pretty confident that congress wouldn't do anything about it, and I think he's right.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Err. The Tsar Bomba is a nuke. A pretty big one. Biggest ever, in fact. And scary as fuck.

This MOAB is old news. They used them years ago. Its only historic in that its being used against ISIL.

I'd say the Brimstone deserves far more attention.

The MOAB is a 14 year old piece of tech, but no MOAB is known to have been used in conflict before now.

Wow, I'm glad you were able to get out and stay safe then. I just thought it would be fascinating to have a GAFer currently in Afghanistan. Like what are the gaming markets like in Afghanistan? How does one become a game hobbyist there, what are the consoles? Be curious to find out how they made it to a game forum while still in Afghanistan.

Anyway, I understand. I'm not from Afghanistan and I sympathize. This is fucked up use of force.

It's super fucking destructive. And we have bunker busters specifically for getting underground targets. We haven't seen the intel, but given how fucked up Trump's administration is and how terrible their Yemen OP was and their Syria airstrike was, I feel fairly secure saying this is yet another attention grabbing opportunity for them. Irresponsibly using the strongest non nuke in our arsenal for the first time on the battlefield, wiping out a mile in any direction from the blast. Insanity.

This is 80 days in and he's escalated to this level. This is no joke.

There is absolutely no doubt about it. They all knew the headlines would be "US drops biggest bomb outside of nuclear arsenal". What was that about Russia?

Piggus

A bomb like this wouldn't be dropped in an area with a bunch of civillians. That's not what it's built for. Drone strikes or other smaller bombs are lot more deadly to civilians because they're often used in populated areas. Do you guys think they'd build a bomb like this and just never use it? It's not like a nuke where it exists solely as a deterrent.

Kyzer

Banned
How many civilians did we just murder?

The sad truth...

I had a feeling Trump would start to resort to this type of action after receiving the apparent approval from most that he did the right thing in Syria. He now believes that all he has to do is drop bombs to get a positive news cycle. This guy puts no serious thought into anything...

im pretty sure we didnt kill any civilians its a remote region and we hit it because of the tunnels underground\

Did Trump need to seek congressional approval to drop a bomb of this magnitude?

not for this one at least, its afghanistan

I'd hope our military leaders (who are actually experienced) would know better to make a huge mistake, but with Donald in charge I don't know. This was clearly an approval ratings boost anyway. Ugh!

Lautaro

It seems to me people here are overreacting, its one bomb and the target doesn't seem to be a populated area. I guess not only Trump knows more than the generals...

guek

Banned
I was tempted to make a thread the other day on MOAB and FOAB asking why we have yet to create something between those and conventional nukes. Basically, why don't we have non-nuclear WMDs? You'd think the tech would be there by now.

Aikidoka

The bomb was used in a remote area and meant to take out ISIS hidden in caves with pressure waves. I sincerely doubt the US would have dropped it if they knew many civilians were within the area.

"If they knew". The question is how much the military cares to check and double-check that there weren't. Empirically, they tend not to give a shit.

kami_sama

Everyone freaking the fuck out (normal) and the grid-fins catch my eye. They're the same as the ones in the Falcon 9!

On-topic, we don't know where exactly was the target, but most probably it was just an overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom