• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct Weekly #182: Ghost of Yōtei, Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster, New PS5 Pro Titles Revealed

GymWolf

Gold Member
Id rather take a game with decent tech and exceptional art direction like ghost than a super high tech game with dull art and overall look
Wukong show that you can have both, and it's definitely not a small game without content, the larger areas are way larger than something like ragnarock that is already considered wide open and the 6th area is straight up a slice of open world.

And yet, it looks a generation better than tsushima 2.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Does it? Wukong runs like crap

A generation better than GoY? No
I mean the term generation have to take into account some diminishing returns, but yeah, it looks noticeably better in terms of assets.
But i only played the pc version, so maybe the console version doesn't look as hot.

Usually the console version has similar textures but shittier rtx and secondary settings, i doubt the game look much worse tbh.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I mean the term generation have to take into account some diminishing returns, but yeah, it looks noticeably better in terms of assets.
But i only played the pc version, so maybe the console version doesn't look as hot.

It has a different look to it, I wouldn’t say it’s a leap at all.

And if a game has basic issues running competently that means the tech isn’t adequate

GymWolf

Gold Member
It has a different look to it, I wouldn’t say it’s a leap at all.

And if a game has basic issues running competently that means the tech isn’t adequate
Different look with lesser fidelity, sure.

At this point we can say that the last 2 zelda have the same graphic of horizon fw but they chose a different look :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Cmon dude, let's not get into delulu world here just to defend a sony game.

The game already had a top class art design, what was lacking was the fidelity and the jump in tsushi2 is just not enough.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Different look with lesser fidelity, sure.

At this point we can say that the last 2 zelda have the same graphic of horizon fw but they chose a different look :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Cmon dude, let's not get into delulu world here just to defend a sony game.

The game already had a top class art design, what was lacking was the fidelity and the jump in tsushi2 is just not enough.

Can you point to what you mean by lacking Fidelity? I don’t see anything lacking in Fidelity

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Can you point to what you mean by lacking Fidelity? I don’t see anything lacking in Fidelity
If you can't see it, nothing of what i would point out would convince you dude, half the topic thinks that the jump is not enough, it's not a matter of picking the worse scene in the trailer, it just doesn't look good enough overall for a 5 years older, fully nextgen sequel.

From what i saw, even a shit game like outlaws or avatar looks way more nextgen tham tsushi2, butcwe only had one trailer, i'm not ready to give up until they show more, but this feel like spidey 2 reveal (the real one, not the bullshit fake one) all over again.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
If you can't see it, nothing of what i would point out would convince you dude, half the topic thinks that the jump is not enough, it's not a matter of picking the worse scene in the trailer, it just doesn't look good enough overall for a 5 years older, fully nextgen sequel.

From what i saw, even a shit game like outlaws or avatar looks way more nextgen tham tsushi2, butcwe only had one trailer, i'm not ready to give up until they show more, but this feel like spidey 2 reveal (the real one, not the bullshit fake one) all over again.

We’re just going to have to disagree. People tend to be blinded by the fact that a game preceded it, and GoT already looked phenomenal

If those other games had released titles 4 years ago they’d also look like less of a leap

If GoT never released and GoY was a new IP we wouldn’t be having this conversation

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
We’re just going to have to disagree. People tend to be blinded by the fact that a game preceded it, and GoT already looked phenomenal

If those other games had released titles 4 years ago they’d also look like less of a leap
Tsushima looked phemomenal thanks to the art style, fidelity wise was nothing special.

You talk about people getting blindend but i clearly see people in here getting blinded by the art style and thinking that it is the same as raw graphic\fidelity, well it's not, and you can definitely have both.

aKiOYBg.jpeg

b1---9_1_2024-11_20_49-PM.jpg

Pics can't even show how granular the detail in these locations is, you think they could, but they can't.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Tsushima looked phemomenal thanks to the art style, fidelity wise was nothing special.

You talk about people getting blindend but i clearly see people in here getting blinded by the art style and thinking that it is the same as raw graphic\fidelity, well it's not, and you can definitely have both.

aKiOYBg.jpeg

b1---9_1_2024-11_20_49-PM.jpg

Pics can't even show how granular the detail in these locations is, you think they could, but they can't.

TLOU has similar Fidelity.

Like I said, GoY isn’t going for that kind of look.

RPCGamer

I like digital foundry, but when they start nitpicking over graphics I can't help but switch off and roll my eyes. They either don't understand art style and direction or just like complaining about nothing.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ghost goes for a stylized look, almost like a painting to their approach. Does not make one more or less than another, or we would all be dragging Nintendo games through the mud, but we don't. Well, minus those Game Freak abominations.
We definitely do, in the graphic topic where we only judge graphic, we know it's risky to shat on nintendo ridicolous production values in topics where you can be bitten by fanboys.

Nobody forced nintendo to make a gimmicky underpowered tablet instead of a classic home console like the gc, they don't get a pass.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The game has a great art style, just like the last one. However, the underlying technology seems very dated. The most obvious aspect where it's lacking is in geometric density, something Wukong excels at thanks to Nanite. For instance, the shot of the horses running in the fields has an awesome atmosphere and the foliage looks great, but the horses themselves look like low-quality models. They look worse than in RDR2, a 6-year old game.

This doesn't look like a AAA PS5 game. It doesn't look that much better than GOT 2020 which outside of its fantastic art did not look all that good either. Perhaps it will get better when it releases, but I'm thoroughly unimpressed by the technology. The art carries this game's visuals. Better great art and meh tech than the opposite though.

Ghost goes for a stylized look, almost like a painting to their approach. Does not make one more or less than another, or we would all be dragging Nintendo games through the mud, but we don't. Well, minus those Game Freak abominations.
We do drag Nintendo games through the mud but, we also understand that they're running on hardware that would have been considered weak 10 years ago. The expectations are based on the hardware. No one expects the PS5 to run Alan Wake or Cyberpunk with path tracing, just like no one expects the Switch to have games that look like Rift Apart.

Last edited:
I like digital foundry, but when they start nitpicking over graphics I can't help but switch off and roll my eyes. They either don't understand art style and direction or just like complaining about nothing.
Indeed, Richard 'teeth' Leadbetter especially. He is transforming into a cynical, curmudgeonly old man before our eyes week by week.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
This doesn't look like a AAA PS5 game. It doesn't look that much better than GOT 2020

It certainly does. GOT 2020 running on PS4 looks significantly worse

SM2 also had these similar complaints. Is that not an AAA PS5 game?

We are comparing sequels to games already remastered for PS5, not their PS4 versions

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
TLOU has similar Fidelity.

Like I said, GoY isn’t going for that kind of look.
I sincerely doubt it, or at least not remotely as even as wukong nor with the same level of geometry (and they are both much smaller games than wukong).

They look great, but we have passed the point of games looking great years ago, all triple A games looks great, even stuff that i troll hard like spidey 2 or the cheap ass remake.

Onestly the thing i remember more from the remake is tess remade model, but tlou2 already had incredible models during cutscenes, it was definitely not a generational difference.

Last edited:

Gaiff

I sincerely doubt it, or at least not remotely as even as wukong nor with the same level of geometry (and they are both much smaller games than wukong).

They look great, but we have passed the point of games looking great years ago, all triple A games looks great, even stuff that i troll hard like spidey 2 or the cheap ass remake.

Onestly the thing i remember more from the remake is tess remade model, but tlou2 already had incredible models during cutscenes, it was definitely not a generational difference.
Why would you bother arguing with that guy? He's the same one who defended the $700 PS5 Pro's price. Sony can do no wrong in his eyes, so you might as well talk to a brick wall.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Why would you bother arguing with that guy? He's the same one who defended the $700 PS5 Pro's price. Sony can do no wrong in his eyes, so you might as well talk to a brick wall.
I'm not gonna ignore people just because they have a different opinion, at least he is open to a discussion instead of just calling me a troll because i don't kiss momma sony for everything they do.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nintendo isnt dragged through the mud because we know they are still working with 0.19 tflops. The PS5 has 10.23 tflops. Thats 53x more raw GPU power. The standards are just different from non-Nintendo console developers.

You can go for a stylized look and still offer a substantial generational leap. uncharted goes for a stylized art style. Uncharted 4 was still a massive leap over uncharted 3. Even Horizon is stylized and that didnt even get the chance to make a next gen only game. They still produced an incredible leap in lighting, character models, and several other features like water rendering and foliage rendering.

The only major leap im seeing here is a very impressive draw distance. But thats about it.

RPCGamer

Nintendo isnt dragged through the mud because we know they are still working with 0.19 tflops. The PS5 has 10.23 tflops. Thats 53x more raw GPU power. The standards are just different from non-Nintendo console developers.

You can go for a stylized look and still offer a substantial generational leap. uncharted goes for a stylized art style. Uncharted 4 was still a massive leap over uncharted 3. Even Horizon is stylized and that didnt even get the chance to make a next gen only game. They still produced an incredible leap in lighting, character models, and several other features like water rendering and foliage rendering.

The only major leap im seeing here is a very impressive draw distance. But thats about it.
This series is definitely not following that route and never was. It's been heavily stylised since day one and for them to change that due to more power would be foolish.

SlimySnake

This series is definitely not following that route and never was. It's been heavily stylised since day one and for them to change that due to more power would be foolish.
thanks for ignoring the second part of my post where i specifically give examples of stylized games that still managed to offer a generational leap in visuals.

RPCGamer

thanks for ignoring the second part of my post where i specifically give examples of stylized games that still managed to offer a generational leap in visuals.
I didn't ignore it. If this is the direction they wish to take it and not offer the "generation leap" that you expect, doesn't make it bad.

Gaiff

I guess GOY is my new SM2. I had to beat some of you into submission to accept the truth that SM2 was next gen looking. I look forward to doing the same with Yotei.
I still don't think it looks very next-genish and maintain that Rift Apart is Insomniac's best looking game. Then again, RDR2 is still a top-tier looking game despite being a generation old, so next-gen when games take 4-7 years to make isn't saying much.

And then we'd circle back to complain how long they are taking to make it. There is no making us happy.

Liam Neeson Ngapa GIF
Yeah, pretty much. I said before that technology has outpaced the dev teams most of the time. The tech is here, but it takes so long to make games now that they realistically can't spend too much time trying to get mind-blowing graphics. Rockstar can, but those guys have unlimited time and budget. 10 years and $600M will produce better results than 5 years and $200M.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Indeed, Richard 'teeth' Leadbetter especially. He is transforming into a cynical, curmudgeonly old man before our eyes week by week.
Richard's only job is to critique visuals. He's praised several games this gen. He was effusive in his praise for Ratchet and HFW. Much more subdued for GOW Ragnorak, Spiderman 2 and Ghosts. And he's not the only one.

The latest batch of sony games have not impressed. He loved Avatar and Wukong too.

We dont have to jizz all over every game. He's a graphics guy and simply has higher standards than other journalists. There is nothing wrong with people who find GoT2 pleasing. I myself think it looks great. But this is a DF thread and DF has simply seen more next gen games than this. We are not discussing the art style, but next gen features. Features that have been in the console since 2019 and heavily marketed by Cerny in 2020, and are not being used by this first party studio.

RPCGamer

And then we'd circle back to complain how long they are taking to make it. There is no making us happy.

Liam Neeson Ngapa GIF
Don't want to go over old ground, but these big open world games that seem to be the default in triple A space are part of the reason. I'm definitely on the side of smaller games, so don't blame me 😁

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

That’s kind of my point, at a certain level of production values as a baseline you’re not going to see massive leaps.

Wukong looks great (when it’s not dealing with performance issues), and focuses its tech on fidelity. But also suffers from significant performance issues while GoY is likely going to be a rock solid 60

Ghost of Yōtei is focusing on weather, foliage, particles, and uses a clean and pleasing aesthetic. It looks striking and unique. Its meant to be a dynamic world

I don’t look at either game and say one is a generational leap ahead of the other. Both are top class productions with emphasis on different things. GoY is simply more familiar because we already have GoT to compare on PS5

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Yes. Games take longer to make now. Why are we even dancing around this as if this wasn't already known?
If you cant offer a next gen leap in five years for a direct sequel then you deserve to be criticized for it.

Star Wars outlaws and Avatar were both made in 5 years each by the same studio and feature more next gen tech. They are both new games. not direct sequels.

Respawn made Star Wars Jedi Suvivor in 3.5 years and offered a bigger leap.

GG made HFW in 5 years and offered a bigger leap. Despite being handicapped by last gen hardware.

Callisto was made in 4 years by a studio that started with just one person and looks sufficiently next gen with next gen asset quality and RT features.

There are plenty more examples of games that took 4-5 years to make and offered a bigger leap.

Gaiff

A little question, but how many games do you guys consider to be "next-gen" in terms of visuals? Because if we take RDR2 as the peak of last-gen and use it as the baseline, I don't think a single game looks a generation better and it's almost 6 years old, close to a console cycle's age.

Otherwise, we can try something more mid-tier as a baseline such as The Witcher 3.

GymWolf

Gold Member
That’s kind of my point, at a certain level of production values as a baseline you’re not going to see massive leaps.

Wukong looks great (when it’s not dealing with performance issues), and focuses its tech on fidelity. But also suffers from significant performance issues while GoY is likely going to be a rock solid 60

Ghost of Yōtei is focusing on weather, foliage, particles, and uses a clean and pleasing aesthetic. It looks striking and unique. Its meant to be a dynamic world

I don’t look at either game and say one is a generational leap ahead of the other. Both are top class productions with emphasis on different things. GoY is simply more familiar because we already have GoT to compare on PS5
I hope it's meant to be a dynamic world because the first one was less dynamic than even the most shitty fc or ac game tbh.

I'm gonna give up on the graphic if they massively improved the open world, and no, adding even more animals to follow is not what i mean with dynamic world.

RPCGamer

A little question, but how many games do you guys consider to be "next-gen" in terms of visuals? Because if we take RDR2 as the peak of last-gen and use it as the baseline, I don't think a single game looks a generation better and it's almost 6 years old, close to a console cycle's age.

Otherwise, we can try something more mid-tier as a baseline such as The Witcher 3.
Personally, I stopped caring with the PS4 gen. While there are the odd "next gen" ones that shine, nothing has been a huge leap and it seems most people prefer performance over visuals now.

SlimySnake

I hope it's meant to be a dynamic world because the first one was less dynamic than even the most shitty fc or ac game tbh.

I'm gonna give up on the graphic if they massively improved the open world, and no, adding even more animals to follow is not what i mean with dynamic world.
Ac shadows also has a very similar last gen look, but they went out of their way to showcase the dynamic weather effects, destruction and other dynamic features that make ubisoft worlds feel so alive in comparison to the more static open worlds we've seen from other devs.

I can at least point to those effects and take solace in the RT implementation even if shaders, lighting art style and materials are still last gen. Not exactly sure what Sucker Punch is wasting their GPU resources on other than enhanced draw distance. Materials look the same. Lighting looks the same, albeit with slightly higher fidelity? No destruction or fancy weather effects. No RT. No fancy nanite equivalent tech. No fancy reflections. No RT shadows. it might ultimately look better than AC shadows due to its cinematic art style, but technically seems to be inferior.

RPCGamer

Ac shadows also has a very similar last gen look, but they went out of their way to showcase the dynamic weather effects, destruction and other dynamic features that make ubisoft worlds feel so alive in comparison to the more static open worlds we've seen from other devs.

I can at least point to those effects and take solace in the RT implementation even if shaders, lighting art style and materials are still last gen. Not exactly sure what Sucker Punch is wasting their GPU resources on other than enhanced draw distance. Materials look the same. Lighting looks the same, albeit with slightly higher fidelity? No destruction or fancy weather effects. No RT. No fancy nanite equivalent tech. No fancy reflections. No RT shadows. it might ultimately look better than AC shadows due to its cinematic art style, but technically seems to be inferior.
And? "Inferior" yet still looks good.

midnightAI

you seem to be obsessed with RT

'it might ultimately look better than AC shadows due to its cinematic art style, but technically seems to be inferior.'

isnt that all that matters? that's the entire premise of Ghost, the first was, the second will be also, its a very specific style to give it a very artistic look. They have enhanced what broke that look in the original (or hindered that look at least)

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I still don't think it looks very next-genish and maintain that Rift Apart is Insomniac's best looking game. Then again, RDR2 is still a top-tier looking game despite being a generation old, so next-gen when games take 4-7 years to make isn't saying much.

There are 2 different discussions: is Yotei visuals current gen vs is there a generational leap between Yotei and Tsushima. There is so much evidence pointing to the latter being true. Facial/skeletal animation, character lighting/self-shadowing/subsurface scattering, environmental light locality where GI bounce isn't bleeding into areas it shouldn't. Yotei provides generational leap in all of these areas over Tsushima.

The fact is Tsushima was the biggest visual dichotomy I've ever come across in a game; a graphically bad game with the most amazing art direction and cinematography of any PS4 title I've played. That is what people in this conversation are forgetting, which is a great compliment to SP flawless execution of the artstyle.

AW_CL

I went back to watch the DF video on the PS5 version of GoT and while it looks great most of the time, this draw distance made me laugh.

FxuX3Bw.jpeg

Just fixing this with higher fidelity trees and foliage should go a long way towards a more next gen presentation.

The lighting style is also much more cartoony in the game. Much more than i remember. Yotei is a substantial leap in comparison.

Yes, these games arent a massive leap like we anticipated but they will look substantially different when put side by side.

Few days ago you had a different opinion 🤔

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There are 2 different discussions: is Yotei visuals current gen vs is there a generational leap between Yotei and Tsushima. There is so much evidence pointing to the latter being true. Facial/skeletal animation, character lighting/self-shadowing/subsurface scattering, environmental light locality where GI bounce isn't bleeding into areas it shouldn't. Yotei provides generational leap in all of these areas over Tsushima.

The fact is Tsushima was the biggest visual dichotomy I've ever come across in a game; a graphically bad game with the most amazing art direction and cinematography of any PS4 title I've played. That is what people in this conversation are forgetting, which is a great compliment to SP flawless execution of the artstyle.
There was also much better skyboxes, especially at night with the stars. Better volumetrics, the foliage moved at a more realistic manner with less of a "pattern," material texture/shaders seemed better, world seemed more alive with larger amount of birds, horses, particle effects, etc..

Last edited:

Kangx

I feel like I need to rant more. When people comparing game now, they have to take into account what system they playing on.

Wukong do not look great on ps5. On pc yes. Like I said many time. Modern games nowadays don't look great on consoles. In fact, I can say they look like shit on my giant 77 in oled especially the performance mode.

Yes, the game do have more detail and texture than Ghost of Tsushima, but what the point if the game look blurry and all the smearing with FSR while in motion. I would argue that GOT is a generation leap over wukong in term of image quality and clarity. And it play better too because it does not require frame gen from low frame rates in performance mode.

I see many people here compare AC to ghost of Yotei. I chuckle. Have you guys see how outlaw look and run on consoles with FSR2? Yea, it's that bad and will be look and run alot worst too. Same old story, Ghost of Yotei will look much better in term of quality and clarity. What the point of all these RT tech on consoles if your game run and look like shit because of 700p to 800p with FSR2?

midnightAI

There was also much better skyboxes, especially at night with the stars. Better volumetrics, the foliage moved at a more realistic manner with less of a "pattern," material texture/shaders seemed better, world seemed more alive with larger amount of birds, horses, particle effects, etc..
The cloth physics seem like a vast improvement also, especially if you look at the flag behind her as she puts her sword away (edit: actually, shes taking it out) and on the clothing it moves in a more realistic less rigid way (they were ok in GoT but nothing too special)

as has already been posted:

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think GoY's graphics complaints should be dismissed even though I disagree. My buddy swore off the Pro because he didn't expect much better until he saw the DF comparison now he's clamoring for a 30th anniversary one but he's been saying all generation how nothing really has impressed him. I trust Gorilla and Naughty Dog but I'm hoping other Sony first party really push hard on the Pro modes if not then 3rd party will eventually leave them in the dust on the better spec sku. I really like what Insomniac is saying about a Fidelity Pro mode pushing different RT techniques though.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I feel like I need to rant more. When people comparing game now, they have to take into account what system they playing on.

Wukong do not look great on ps5. On pc yes. Like I said many time. Modern games nowadays don't look great on consoles. In fact, I can say they look like shit on my giant 77 in oled especially the performance mode.

Yes, the game do have more detail and texture than Ghost of Tsushima, but what the point if the game look blurry and all the smearing with FSR while in motion. I would argue that GOT is a generation leap over wukong in term of image quality and clarity. And it play better too because it does not require frame gen from low frame rates in performance mode.

I see many people here compare AC to ghost of Yotei. I chuckle. Have you guys see how outlaw look and run on consoles with FSR2? Yea, it's that bad and will be look and run alot worst too. Same old story, Ghost of Yotei will look much better in term of quality and clarity. What the point of all these RT tech on consoles if your game run and look like shit because of 700p to 800p with FSR2?

That’s a good point I was going to bring up

It’s a bit disingenuous to compare a game running on a 4090 to base PS5

Wukong has lots of compromises on console and equivalent PCs that aren’t high end, 4090 is just a much more powerful machine with dedicated RT and AI HW

Thankfully the PS5 Pro helps bridge the gap a bit in that respect, but baseline PS5 hardware is still 4 years old at this point

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Few days ago you had a different opinion 🤔
We are talking about next gen leaps here. I have repeatedly said the game looks great in this thread alone.

If you cant offer a next gen leap in five years for a direct sequel then you deserve to be criticized for it.

I will settle for less. This game seems to be on par with Outlaws, AC Shadows and other next gen only games, but I am one of those fanboys who thought Sony studios were a cut above the competition.

it might ultimately look better than AC shadows due to its cinematic art style, but technically seems to be inferior.

There is a difference between settling for less and expecting more from these previous graphics juggernauts.

Vick

Gold Member
Correct, if the outdoor shot could be easily matched by every ND game the previous gen at a first glance, the indoor one shows that true generational leap due to those rocks geometry.
Cosest aesthetically would be Lost Legacy, which I'm playing right now, but it is unquestionably noticeable up close geometry from a PS4 game could never be as perfect as Nanite.

UeaEtOW.png

NO22V76.png

ZNJZZLc.png

UMFkOL3.png

svsiBv2.png

They can look close while playing, but Nanite is that one step above.
These were all took in the span of 5 minutes in the 60fps mode however, I would gladily take rock solid 60fps with this IQ over how Wukong looks and run on the same machine.

But that's the best thing about UE5 that I love so fucking much. You don't need ND anymore for these visuals, the Engine does it for you while allowing for better results, and this is priceless.

Just found this picture on my U4 folder by the way GymWolf GymWolf .. guess you can actually achieve that level, by mastering mapping or other techniques, but surely not as organically nor everywhere as you can do with Nanite.

Uncharted-Raccolta-L-eredit-dei-ladri-20240924140048.png

A games looks great, even stuff that i troll hard like spidey 2
Eh.. I haven't played the game, but I have to see a single shot or video that truly impresses me or that I consider a generation above Spider-Man on PS4 Pro. Not even close. Simply featuring RT does nothing for me.
I'm really not a fan at all of how that game looks.

5 years is a long time to make a direct sequel and the same amount of time it took ND to make Uncharted 4 and GG to make Horizon 2.
The Uncharted 4 we ultimately got from Straley and Druckmann took a little more than two years, what ND developed prior with Hennig was mostly scratched.
And you can tell, game looks clearly rushed by ND stardards, goes from 100% pre-rendered one moment to almost unfinished the other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom