• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct Weekly #182: Ghost of Yōtei, Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster, New PS5 Pro Titles Revealed

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I guess GOY is my new SM2. I had to beat some of you into submission to accept the truth that SM2 was next gen looking. I look forward to doing the same with Yotei.
I mean come on, you yourself had a meltdown when Spiderman 2 was downgraded from its initial reveal which featured stunning night time lighting, character models and volumetric effects. We all thought that was next gen and then the game came out and looked nothing like it.

The reason why people (and very few at that) came around on that game was that Insomniac did add some things to it that were undeniably next gen. The traffic, the NPC count, the RT reflections, the new water tech, the amazing fast traversal speeds, the insane setpieces that could only be done on an SSD. These were quantifiable features that gave it that next gen feel even if the asset quality, material quality, buildings, and overall character models did not get that next gen leap we have seen in other next gen UE5 titles.

The only thing we see here is the draw distance. It's a poor way to showcase your next gen game. Maybe make it a ten minute showcase like they did for the original GoT that shows next gen features that they have planned. But right now, the same upgrades i saw in Spiderman 2 are not something I see in GoT 2. It's a leap in lighting that we saw in Spiderman 2 (good but not next gen) minus all the next gen ssd, rt and cpu tech.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Eh.. I haven't played the game, but I have to see a single shot or video that truly impresses me or that I consider a generation above Spider-Man on PS4 Pro. Not even close. Simply featuring RT does nothing for me.
I really not a fan at all of how that game looks.
Thats because its not. It's a great looking game, but it still features that last gen lighting and material quality that holds it back.

It does do a lot of great next gen things. While the lighting and buildings might be worse than cyberpunk's, it's traffic and NPC simulation are leagues ahead of cyberpunk.

The faster flying speeds have that next gen feel even if the assets and lighting around you do their worst to keep you from having that holy shit next gen moment. The draw distance is incredibly impressive.

RT might not make a big difference in most games, but here since the reflections are applied to all buildings, cars and rivers, you really do get to appreciate them at all times. its transformative in ways RTGI can be in some games.

And finally, the setpieces do a great job of selling that ssd dream. its probably more next gen than anything sony has made this gen even if it looks visually unappealing compared to say Ratchet, HFW, and demon souls.

886cveQ.gif

AW_CL

Thats because its not. It's a great looking game, but it still features that last gen lighting and material quality that holds it back.

It does do a lot of great next gen things. While the lighting and buildings might be worse than cyberpunk's, it's traffic and NPC simulation are leagues ahead of cyberpunk.

The faster flying speeds have that next gen feel even if the assets and lighting around you do their worst to keep you from having that holy shit next gen moment. The draw distance is incredibly impressive.

RT might not make a big difference in most games, but here since the reflections are applied to all buildings, cars and rivers, you really do get to appreciate them at all times. its transformative in ways RTGI can be in some games.

And finally, the setpieces do a great job of selling that ssd dream. its probably more next gen than anything sony has made this gen even if it looks visually unappealing compared to say Ratchet, HFW, and demon souls.

886cveQ.gif

I think Spider-man 2 looks more impressive than Wukong

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member

Yeah, I guess the increased flying speed would help. As would the placebo effect of knowing those are RT reflections instead of cubemaps and tricks. But visually.. I was still playing this many years ago on a PS4.

uaUBA6a.gif

oT0h8oj.gif

Which somehow still appears more photo-realistic than SM2 at equivalent time of day to me (SM Remaster/PC version dusk setting sucks balls in comparison), all the more puzzling considering SM2 as far as I know doesn't even have a dynamic time of day either.

Sorry, I came to the realization I hate SM2 visuals just as much as I love SM OG PS4 version ones.

Me trying to reconcile those last ten words and the GIF you provided:
Because we played The Matrix: Awakens.

I also think Ratchet sucks to be honest, relatively speaking, but the other mentioned show clear improvements over those same devs PS4 output, output that looked incredible to begin with.

I think Insomniac simply got screwed hard by their focus on RT and by having to provide those insane speeds with little pop-in with an engine clearly not as effective as UE5.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Yeah, I guess the increased flying speed would help. As would the placebo effect of knowing those are RT reflections instead of cubemaps and tricks. But visually.. I was still playing this many years ago on a PS4.

uaUBA6a.gif

oT0h8oj.gif

Which somehow still appears more photo-realistic than SM2 at equivalent time of day to me (SM Remaster/PC version dusk setting sucks balls in comparison), all the more puzzling considering SM2 as far as I know doesn't even have a dynamic time of day either.

Sorry, I came to the realization I hate SM2 visuals just as much as I love SM OG PS4 version ones.

I also think Ratchet sucks to be honest, relatively speaking, but the other mentioned show clear improvements over those same devs PS4 output, output that looked incredible to begin with.

I think Insomniac simply got screwed hard by their focus on RT and by having to provide those insane speeds with little pop-in with an engine clearly not as effective as UE5.
I dont know how I find myself defending Spiderman 2 so often because i truly only want to criticize its shortcomings but this happens every couple of months so here we go.

Spiderman 2 lighting has seen a noticeable upgrade. it's textures have also been upgraded. The bakes for all time of day have been changed and several have been added. You now have Sunset, Morning, Day time, Evening, Sunset and Night time settings when previously there were only 3. Each bake has way better lighting than the OG spiderman on base PS4.

You can see the results here. is it a generational leap? no. But a pretty big leap nonetheless.

cXij1ik.gif

o7daCao.gif

QekiqI2.gif

I made several comparisons myself. This is actually from the PS5 spiderman remastered.

F6MSdL6WYAAuXCM

F9QRQ5ZWEAA5yxo

JaksGhost

uaUBA6a.gif

oT0h8oj.gif

UE5 has been absolute dogshit on consoles this generation in terms of performance and visual quality. Pretty games, shit and fuzzy performance. Or in terms of Hellblade 2, you get a visually next gen game that's no more than a tech demo at the end of the day. Also why do people keep refrencing tech demos like The Matrix: Awaken that struggled on console with the help of The Coalition? Has anything came close to it since or is that the litmus for next gen?

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Spiderman 2 lighting has seen a noticeable upgrade.
I'm sure you're right about daylight and night being improved, but my eyes tell me my favorite time of day is looking less realistic than it did in SM PS4. PS4 being the key word here, as Remaster and PC version look awful in comparison.

I have plenty of dusk gameplay videos where the city look basically photoreal, like, genuinely photoreal. And I mean, to me even those GIFs I posted in the previous post look better than anything in your post.

You can see the results here. is it a generational leap? no. But a pretty big leap nonetheless.

o7daCao.gif

Miles Morales always looked relatively awful to me, but I can assure you I can post a Central Park GIF from SM PS4 looking better than SM2 one above. Just not at daylight.

And still, it's important to remember I haven't bought Spider-Man 2 (and probably never will) and have no direct experience with it whatsoever, I'm going off of material shared.

Has anything came close to it since or is that the litmus for next gen?
To me, that's still the best I've seen.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Yeah I mean.. sorry, but to be fair the material from the game you share all the time doesn't really help either. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Post me something as realistic looking as this:

uaUBA6a.gif

oT0h8oj.gif

And maybe I'll ignore water being a downgrade (and I know SM2 water has RT and is more interactive, don't care one bit, doesn't look as real as SM PS4), I'll ignore dusk looking less realistic, I'll ignore pedestrians shadows disappearing way too close to the camera, I'll ignore the product being basically pure propaganda dressed as a game, and give it a chance for its visuals and gameplay only. So far though, not impressed one bit.

Last edited:
Wukong show that you can have both, and it's definitely not a small game without content, the larger areas are way larger than something like ragnarock that is already considered wide open and the 6th area is straight up a slice of open world.

And yet, it looks a generation better than tsushima 2.
Honestly if you compare the PS5 version of Wukong and not the PC version to most Sony games, in terms of gaming experience there is a big difference.

I mean Wukong on PS5 in quality mode has not a good IQ in motion and obviously the FSR doesn't help anything you add to that aliasing in motion not handled well, alpha textures like fur are a mess and post processing has dithering that doesn't look good.

That's a lot of problems when on the other hand Sony games are still graphically solid but with very good IQ and almost none of these kinds of technical problems.

As it stands Wukong is technically more impressive on PC but if on console, you necessarily have to go through this level of performance in the end it remains a video game and as it stands I don't see how we could be satisfied with the Wukong's technical performance on PS5.

If the end result is ending up with a game that has very poor IQ and lots of technical issues, it's just not worth it in my opinion.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Yeah I mean.. sorry, but to be fair the material from the game you share all the time doesn't really help either. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Post me something as realistic looking as this:

uaUBA6a.gif

oT0h8oj.gif

And maybe I'll ignore water being a downgrade (and I know SM2 water has RT and is more interactive, don't care one bit, doesn't look as real as SM PS4), I'll ignore dusk looking less realistic, I'll ignore pedestrians shadows disappearing way too close to the camera, I'll ignore the product being basically pure propaganda dressed as a game, and give it a chance for its visuals and gameplay only. So far though, not impressed one bit.
F9D07BuWkAAsYhK

F9FGi48X0AABPjx

F9k0n6-XsAA-eAW

F90PmSBWgAAGWc2

SlimySnake

Some more gifs and comparisons. Some cutscenes look amazing in spiderman 2 while others look like crap. Clearly Sony rushed the game because the game feels very inconsistent at times.

uKciCek.gif

9cSui04.gif

j1JmPLk.gif

lLXhfmL.gif

SlimySnake

Not Bad Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

Not too bad SlimySnake SlimySnake .

I know it's OT but, briefly, what do you think of the game?
Woke as fuck but really fun. It's probably got the best sony campaign this gen. Tight, focused with lots of setpieces and action. On ng+ i realized just how many forced walking/stealth sections there are, and that made me dislike it a bit but it didnt feel that way during the first playthrough when I was engrossed in the story which is great.

If it wasnt for Zelda ToTK being a fucking masterpiece in physics, it wouldve been my goty.

Vick

Gold Member
Some more gifs and comparisons. Some cutscenes look amazing in spiderman 2 while others look like crap. Clearly Sony rushed the game because the game feels very inconsistent at times.
Eh.. nothing I hate more in videogame graphics than inconsistent visuals.

These are all much more impressive than what previously posted. Love the rough RT reflections in the first comparison, and this last GIF is probably the most impressive piece of media I've seen from the game. Looks actually stunning there.

I hated it towards the end and prefer remastered over it but graphically it's a huge upgrade. I was extremely let down by SM2...
Woke as fuck but really fun. It's probably got the best sony campaign this gen. Tight, focused with lots of setpieces and action. On ng+ i realized just how many forced walking/stealth sections there are, and that made me dislike it a bit but it didnt feel that way during the first playthrough when I was engrossed in the story which is great.

If it wasnt for Zelda ToTK being a fucking masterpiece in physics, it wouldve been my goty.
Interesting. Thanks to both of you.

midnightAI

It doesn't matter If the end result looks better or worse. Unless there's RT for the sake of having RT, some people will not be satisfied (like Alex.)
It's because it hasn't been announced for PC yet

In one particular scene they appear to be criticising the fact that there is no reflection under the main character (it's in the duel scene, at night, after the title), but I don't think there is water below the main character at that point, it's dirt, there are puddles below the enemy character and you see reflections briefly (that's the way I see it anyway)

midnightAI

Tsushima global illumination (from cutscenes):

OW5Emt7.jpeg

neTw24H.jpeg

Yotei global illumination:

M7fqAO6.jpeg

All I'm saying is I've seen Alex and crew fawn over smaller generational differences.
He was actually doing his weird little laugh at that scene for some reason, I think that scene is stunning. Ghost (both games) take massive inspiration from Samurai films from the likes of Kurosawa, I don't think they care so much about pixel perfect accurate lighting but instead want film-like fake lighting (I wonder what it would look like with Forbidden West's hero lighting on characters)

Tsushima global illumination (from cutscenes):

OW5Emt7.jpeg

neTw24H.jpeg

Yotei global illumination:

M7fqAO6.jpeg

All I'm saying is I've seen Alex and crew fawn over smaller generational differences.
I'm really curious to know the improvements they made to their global illumination system because i don't know how you can get this result with baked gi and when we watch the trailer we have the impression that they could use RTGI to achieve this result but it's difficult to tell with so little footage.

Last edited:
Spider-Man 2 reeks of DEI (and it's only the beginning for Insomniac games sadly) but it's the most impressive game on console. This is the game that fully realized Cerny's ambitions about PS5. Instant loadings, ultra fast streaming allowing insane speed with not stutters and high quality assets all the time, and most impressive RT reflections seen on console in a big city. And all that at 60fps!

When you look closely (<60fps stutters when stress testing I/O, textures needing seconds to fully load), even high end PCs still can't fully do what PS5 does with I/O in this game whatever all the experts are telling us. And PS5 does this with a super cheap 300mm² 7nm APU.

Last edited:
Top Bottom