• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 4| #KARMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

diehard

Fleer
BYU LB Spencer Hadley has been suspended indefinitely for a team rules violation. Team rules would be different than Honor Code, so I have to wonder if we'll see him back or not. That's a HUGE blow to the BYU defense, allowing teams to focus even more on Kyle Van Noy as a far less experienced player will be in Hadley's position.

ahh what the hell

I read this post about Heisman voting/punditry that struck a chord with me. See if you can guess who QB 1 and QB 2 are...

But the whole ESPN/Heisman thing, really is a joke.

A scenario
QB 1 beats QB 2 head to head, the game was a home game for QB 2.
QB 2 threw 2 picks that cost his team 14 points and QB 1 had zero interceptions and managed the game well and had 4 TD passes and 300 yards passing

For some reason, QB 2 is way out in front of QB 1 when it comes to "Heisman" votes and standing?

What is the Heisman about? Putting up huge numbers in losing efforts.

I'm not trying to belittle QB 2 (the defending Heisman trophy winner), he's an exceptional player. But I have a hard time reconciling the fact that QB 1 is rated below QB 2 for the Heisman after Saturday. Is it truly based on Nintendo QB stats alone. Does winning the game, and not costing your team the game no longer matter? Is there no context other than raw stats?

Jeff-DSA

I never pick against BYU in the pick 'em out of stubbornness, but losing Hadley might open up the underneath routes a bit more for Utah. They might be able to run a bit better too. This is really bad, actually.

Jeff-DSA

ahh what the hell

I'm hearing that there might be more suspensions coming in as well. I guess a few guys got bored during the bye week and went down to Vegas. I'm pretty sure it's a team rule that you can't gamble, even if that's all that they did. The season could go south real quick.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be OK with the entire OU band not showing up ever, personally.

That stolen Ivy League drinking song atrocity they call a "fight song" should be banned.

Now, now, lets not trash bands playing drinking songs. The Iowa Band literally plays one and it's great!

Could have sworn they play it for more than just victories, though. Thought I remember them playing it after scores when we played them in the Alamo Bowl.

Garryk

The OU tuba section is on strike because they don't like their new band director.

No, I'm not making that up.

http://www.thelostogle.com/2013/09/...of-oklahoma-tuba-players-have-gone-on-strike/

I wish Arkansas's band directors would go on strike because they don't like the band. There are high school bands that put a better product on the field. I'm pretty sure our AD told A&M not to bring their band because they didn't want the fans to see how awful ours is in comparison.

EDIT: Also, Mark Richt has lost control of OU's tuba section.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
A FEW people. not all. SOME bad apples. many people are very happy to let Bo keep winning 9-10 games a year while losing 3-4.

Memorial Stadium only is hopping when it needs to be. It was totally rocking early in the UCLA game. Nebraska gets up or down big, and it quiets down a lot.

I do agree more people need to cheer, but we also have a very old fan base that's had its tickets for a very long time. The old girl still gets going just fine when she needs to though. I imagine many other stadiums around the country are the same. Washington was pretty darn quiet when we were blowing them out... UCLA was half empty. At least our fans show up, are respectful, and can be loud when the game calls for it

NU fans are super super super nice. I mean, sure you get upset and such, but I remember even during the years when Texas was beating Nebraska all the time and that meant something (Oh god, how can we return to those Halcyon years of the late 90s early 2000s) your fans were generally very agreeable.

Bo is just a jackass. He throws temper tantrums all the time. I remember he and his brother were screaming at Texas on the podium when we won the title Colt's last season. He is a great defensive mind, but I think his attitude toward life is very much "get angry, blame everyone around me".

I'd kick Bo to the curb. It's one thing to put up with a jerk when you are contending for national titles year in year out. It's another to put up with a jerk to be above average to good.

StoOgE

Texas was #5 last week and #10 this week, but the #5 spot is always reserved for a good team (or conference) that had a bad week. The rest of the bottom 10 is for actual bad teams. So for Texas to be #10 instead of #5 is a huge drop. We're in the "real" bottom 10 now.

So what you are saying is we saw a top 10 matchup in week 1 vs the Aggies and have another coming up the first weekend in October against the mighty Cyclones

WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS!

KingGondo

Banned
Now, now, lets not trash bands playing drinking songs. The Iowa Band literally plays one and it's great!

Could have sworn they play it for more than just victories, though. Thought I remember them playing it after scores when we played them in the Alamo Bowl.
I'm not hating on Iowa's stolen drinking song, just OU's.

And it's undeniably horrible. It's basically a jingle that gets stuck in your head, and they also play it approximately 500 times per game.

I wish Arkansas's band directors would go on strike because they don't like the band. There are high school bands that put a better product on the field. I'm pretty sure our AD told A&M not to bring their band because they didn't want the fans to see how awful ours is in comparison.

EDIT: In before, Mark Richt has lost control of OU's tuba section.
Aggy's band is an interesting case.

What they do isn't exactly difficult (speaking as a former band member), but it's undeniably an impressive spectacle. A lot of band geeks hate their band though, mainly because they've been putting work in on a new and complex Latin Jazz show each week while Aggy shows up, does the same thing every week, and gets a standing ovation every time.

On a semi-related note, our band got a standing ovation last week during the end of "Hey Jude," which was pretty cool and unexpected. The Cowboy Marching Band definitely seems to have improved since I was there.

StoOgE

So, I just checked google news and didn't see the story about Mack Brown retiring.

Can someone link me to it?

Garryk

Haha Gondo, I think we've had this conversation before because I remember posting about going to an Okie State game just to see the A&M band perform.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
NU fans are super super super nice. I mean, sure you get upset and such, but I remember even during the years when Texas was beating Nebraska all the time and that meant something (Oh god, how can we return to those Halcyon years of the late 90s early 2000s) your fans were generally very agreeable.

Bo is just a jackass. He throws temper tantrums all the time. I remember he and his brother were screaming at Texas on the podium when we won the title Colt's last season. He is a great defensive mind, but I think his attitude toward life is very much "get angry, blame everyone around me".

I'd kick Bo to the curb. It's one thing to put up with a jerk when you are contending for national titles year in year out. It's another to put up with a jerk to be above average to good.

yeah, you were our kryptonite much like Kansas State was yours.

if Bo was fielding defenses like 2009/2010 still, I'd be willing to put up with it. Some of the most fun I've had watching Nebraska football was watching that defense valiantly keep us in (and win) games despite an utterly inept offense.

so you've nailed it... you get a lot more leeway when you're winning big. Start slipping, and things like this end up hurting you

KingGondo

Banned
Haha Gondo, I think we've had this conversation before because I remember posting about going to an Okie State game just to see the A&M band perform.
Yeah, I'm sure we have.

Like I said, I can actually respect what Aggy does without liking them.

Their freshman band members were also required to steal something from the opposing team's band as part of their initiation, so we really had to watch our shit when they were in town.

Ah, band memories. The worst kind.

cdyhybrid

I read this post about Heisman voting/punditry that struck a chord with me. See if you can guess who QB 1 and QB 2 are...

What is the Heisman about? Putting up huge numbers in losing efforts.

Makes sense. Tebow won it in the shittiest season for his team record-wise.

Heisman winners since 2000:

2000 Chris Weinke - Lost in the title game, not bad
2001 Eric Crouch - Ditto
2002 Carson Palmer - Won the Orange Bowl, finished #4, good season
2003 Jason White - Lost in the CCG, lost in the NCG they shouldn't have been in
2004 Matt Leinart - National champions Did not win a single game
2005 Reggie Bush - Lost in the NCG No Heisman awarded
2006 Troy Smith - Lost in the NCG
2007 Tim Tebow - Finished 9-4, lost in a bowl to a (lol)B1G team
2008 Sam Bradford - Lost in NCG
2009 Mark Ingram, Jr. - Won MNC
2010 Cam Newton - Won MNC
2011 Robert Griffin III - Finished 10-3 after winning the Alamo Bowl
2012 Johnny Manziel - Finished #5, won Cotton Bowl

Only 5 ended their season with a win, only two of those won the MNC, only one other one won a BCS game.

jagowar

Aggy's band is an interesting case.

What they do isn't exactly difficult (speaking as a former band member), but it's undeniably an impressive spectacle. A lot of band geeks hate their band though, mainly because they've been putting work in on a new and complex Latin Jazz show each week while Aggy shows up, does the same thing every week, and gets a standing ovation every time.

On a semi-related note, our band got a standing ovation last week during the end of "Hey Jude," which was pretty cool and unexpected. The Cowboy Marching Band definitely seems to have improved since I was there.

You kind of answered your own question.... the reason normal band shows generally do not get a response is because of the music they choose imo. They typically choose songs that are musically diverse because they are music majors (soft, loud, fast and slow) and not necessarily right for a football show. The Aggie Band only does military marches which are pretty much only loud and fast paced. The African American bands have figured this out too and generally play loud and fast paced music. Its all about energy and music that actually works for a halftime football show. Compliment it with the unique marching and that is why they get standing ovations.

It also does not help that they choose music that only appeals to the older part of the crowd (because the band directors are generally older and choose music they like). It's not a coincidence that when they go younger or choose music like video game themes that appeal to a wider audience they get a better response.

I am curious what is the story behind that.... somebody on texags (so take it with a mountain of salt) said they are doing some kind of miss souiee thing and told our band not to come. Is that a yearly thing or is it just another false rumor?

Yeah, I'm sure we have.

Like I said, I can actually respect what Aggy does without liking them.

Their freshman band members were also required to steal something from the opposing team's band as part of their initiation, so we really had to watch our shit when they were in town.

Ah, band memories. The worst kind.

You should have given them a kick in the groin to take home.

KingGondo

Banned
You kind of answered your own question.... the reason normal band shows generally do not get a response is because of the music they choose imo. They typically choose songs that are musically diverse because they are music majors (soft, loud, fast and slow) and not necessarily right for a football show. The Aggie Band only does military marches which are pretty much only loud and fast paced. The African American bands have figured this out too and generally play loud and fast paced music. Its all about energy and music that actually works for a halftime football show. Compliment it with the unique marching and that is why they get standing ovations.

It also does not help that they choose music that only appeals to the older part of the crowd (because the band directors are generally older and choose music they like). It's not a coincidence that when they go younger or choose music like video game themes that appeal to a wider audience they get a better response.
I generally agree, except for the part about the Aggy band and HBCU bands being similar. They couldn't be more different.

Aggy: slow tempo military songs with angular formations and sharp turns.

HBCU: fast R&B/rap/soul renditions with lots of stationary sets (but lots of dancing).

The Grambling band did a Michael Jackson tribute show in Stillwater a few seasons back and it was glorious. I'd like to see the Aggy band attempt "P.Y.T." :)

ConfusingJazz said:
You should have given them a kick in the groin to take home.
I know, right?

Karakand

The OU tuba section is on strike because they don't like their new band director.

http://www.thelostogle.com/2013/09/...of-oklahoma-tuba-players-have-gone-on-strike/

That's tubad.

I'd be OK with the entire OU band not showing up ever, personally.

That stolen Ivy League drinking song atrocity they call a "fight song" should be banned.

I understand that Oklahoma was founded by people stealing, but maybe they should broaden the horizons of what it means to be Oklahoman.

eznark

Banned
yeah, you were our kryptonite much like Kansas State was yours.

if Bo was fielding defenses like 2009/2010 still, I'd be willing to put up with it. Some of the most fun I've had watching Nebraska football was watching that defense valiantly keep us in (and win) games despite an utterly inept offense.

so you've nailed it... you get a lot more leeway when you're winning big. Start slipping, and things like this end up hurting you

Some of the most fun I've had lately is watching Nebraska defenses as well.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Taylor Martinez doesn't practice, in a walking boot and street clothes.

So I guess he really wasn't even close to 100% for most of the UCLA game

razielim

Taylor Martinez doesn't practice, in a walking boot and street clothes.

So I guess he really wasn't even close to 100% for most of the UCLA game

He'll still be starting and his status will be "just fine" even though it's painfully obvious something is wrong. Hopefully we get Kellog or Armstong to play most of the game as turf toe can be very persistent...

Pimpwerx

Vols on the docket this weekend. Can my Gators bounce back? Is Tennessee's defense bad enough to allow our shitty QB to not completely sink our ship again? We've already lost to one unranked team this year. I'm not so confident we have this one in the bag. Fuck you Driskel. You've ruined the season already, and we've only played 2 games. :( PEACE.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
j70kjLPqgxG7p.jpg

For those of you just joining us...
Vols on the docket this weekend. Can my Gatas bounce back? Is Tennessee's defense bad enough to allow our shitty QB to not completely sink our ship again? We've already lost to one unranked team this year. I'm not so confident we have this one in the bag. Fuck you Driskel. You've ruined the season already, and we've only played 2 games. :( PEACE.
Let's find out.

jJqUxsoYsDkR.jpg

mcgruber

too much irony. is this an oklahoma student version of the onion?

"I hate to admit this, but I did the marching band thing for two years in high school. It’s boring, ridiculous and embarrassing, but it sure is hell isn’t that difficult. You just walk to a spot…and then to another spot…and then to another spot…and you do it all while playing or pretending to play an instrument. Okay, maybe that’s an over-simplified version of the activity, but it’s not like your writing a blog or asking bar trivia questions or anything."

mcgruber

BYU LB Spencer Hadley has been suspended indefinitely for a team rules violation. Team rules would be different than Honor Code, so I have to wonder if we'll see him back or not. That's a HUGE blow to the BYU defense, allowing teams to focus even more on Kyle Van Noy as a far less experienced player will be in Hadley's position.

team rules is more serious than honor code? didnt you kick off a basketball player in the middle of march madness for honor code?

Jeff-DSA

team rules is more serious than honor code? didnt you kick off a basketball player in the middle of march madness for honor code?

Yep. BYU doesn't screw around. Big game or not, it doesn't matter. There's no Les Milesing your way out of tough situations.

Draxal

EDIT: Also, Mark Richt has lost control of OU's tuba section.

We're playing piped in music at Rutgers, because our band sucks that much.

KingGondo

Banned
too much irony. is this an oklahoma student version of the onion?
The Lost Ogle is an OKC local blog that's pretty popular, but it's unfortunately marred by dumb grammatical and spelling errors.

That's tubad.
It really is.

I understand that Oklahoma was founded by people stealing, but maybe they should broaden the horizons of what it means to be Oklahoman.
Heck, America was founded on stealing.

andycapps

UGA has North Texas this week, but probably installing a few things already for LSU. Yesterday in practice they were apparently working on the.. triple option? I guess trying to give Chavis at LSU something else to prepare for?

The media were allowed to view three five-minute practice sessions on Tuesday. Here are some notes and observations from The Red & Black:

The running backs, fullbacks and quarterbacks operated together during all three periods that the media had access to. The three units began by running a triple option set with the quarterbacks handing the ball off to the fullbacks, and then feigning the potential option toss to the running back alongside him on the outside.

andycapps

Getting your defense ready for Georgia Tech a tad early this year, aren't you?

I don't think we really need to get ready for them at this point. I think more than likely that they'll never use this, or that it'll be a one trick play thing this year. Hicks has emerged as a legit running threat so with him and Gurley in the backfield, it could be worth a look. The issue is that for it to be a triple option the QB has to be a valid running option. Murray can run, but with him being a senior, that's just not smart. Maybe they'll run it in garbage time with a backup QB. Or, maybe they'll run Christian Lemay out there and have him run it for a series. He'd be perfect for it.

KingGondo

Banned
ConfusingJazz: I can confirm that GTA V is awesome and fixes many of the issues with GTA IV.

They finally recaptured the most important thing, which is the insane sense of fun.

Also, it's a technically amazing game. Hard to believe the PS3 can push out these graphics.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Tech flipped a second Kansas State commit earlier this week; Safety Connor Wilson joins OL Robert Castaneda who we took from them a few months ago. That makes the second player from Argyle high school that we've got a commitment from this year, and there's a third target we have at the school - LB Sam Sizelove, who currently happens to be committed to......

Kansas State. :jnc

Heck, America was founded on stealing.

We traded them those those beads fair and square!

Jay Sosa

pppppppicks:

(FRI) Boise State @ Fresno State by 10
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 3
Wake Forest @ Army by 12
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 5
Houston vs. Rice by 1
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 6
West Virginia @ Maryland by 12
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 9
Arizona State @ Stanford by 2
Kansas State @ Texas by 5