• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 4| #KARMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subitai

ConfusingJazz: I can confirm that GTA V is awesome and fixes many of the issues with GTA IV.

They finally recaptured the most important thing, which is the insane sense of fun.

Also, it's a technically amazing game. Hard to believe the PS3 can push out these graphics.
Better than Saint's Row in its own way?

(FRI) Boise State @ Fresno State by 8
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 4
Wake Forest @ Army by 11
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 4
Houston vs. Rice by 11
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 16
West Virginia @ Maryland by 8
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 8
Arizona State @ Stanford by 13
Kansas State @ Texas by 11*
Missouri @ Indiana by 11
Utah @ BYU by 8

*Acutal MOV for KSU: Greg Robinson

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I think its better than saints row, but I thought saints row got super repetitive after a while.

Like Gundy said, this fixes a lot of the issues 4 had, it has the nice middle point between san andreas and 4.

I FUCKING KNEW THAT GONDO WAS MIKE GUNDY. I FUCKING KNEW IT!

KingGondo

Banned
I FUCKING KNEW THAT GONDO WAS MIKE GUNDY. I FUCKING KNEW IT!
Sorry guys, you caught me.

My anti-Thayer Evans posts were simply because I'm jealous of his hair swag.

Thayer_Evans_20130913215418_320_240.PNG

No matter how hard I try, my hair will never attain the same level of spikiness.

I'm a man, I'm 45, etc. etc.

andycapps

(FRI) Boise State @ Fresno State by 4
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 9
Wake Forest @ Army by 14
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 4
Houston vs. Rice by 4
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 6
West Virginia @ Maryland by 8
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 4
Arizona State @ Stanford by 10
Kansas State @ Texas by 6
Missouri @ Indiana by 4
Utah @ BYU* by 7

There is no way that BYU loses this game.

Subitai

I think its better than saints row, but I thought saints row got super repetitive after a while.

Like Gundy said, this fixes a lot of the issues 4 had, it has the nice middle point between san andreas and 4.
Ok, thanks man.

You didn't need to spill Gondo's beans like that though.

AntoneM

GAF Pick'em Week 4 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(FRI) Boise State @ Fresno State by 6
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 6
Wake Forest @ Army by 6
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 6
Houston vs. Rice by 6
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 6
West Virginia @ Maryland by 6
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 6
Arizona State @ Stanford by 6
Kansas State @ Texas by 6
Missouri @ Indiana by 6
Utah @ BYU by 6

I might get less than 3 points this week :(

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Sounds promising. But I have a question to ask...

Nope, you don't know fun.

Well, I've played both.

It's as fun, but yeah, it's different kind of fun. Superpowers are sweet, but there comes a point where you're too OP and the game has zero difficulty. The world of SR4 is also pretty pointless.

The world of GTAV is incredible, it's a much better looking game (but currently runs slower because of console limitations, can't match PC's SR4's 60 fps, but mah god GTAV on PC will blow my mind) Shooting and driving are better (though, SR4 didn't really want you to do either of these).

2 different games at this point, and what will set GTAV apart, is when Online gets put in.

Just had a rain shower with some low level sunlight in GTAV, fantastic looking.

andycapps

I'm not really sure what to take from that. Should more talk be occurring now about Fluker? Absolutely. Probably not hearing much because he's gone, any punishment would be meted out to Bama and would likely be very harsh due to how many offenses they've had. I know it's an MCU blog, but the whole thing seemed to revolve around MCU and what happened to them. Seemed to downplay the real reason for the punishment in Tressel lying, and keep harping on the fact that the kids sold their stuff for profit. They mention it's beside the point but spend the majority of the time griping about that thing that was beside the point. Gotta get those digs on Herbstreit in there too.

Gist of that article seems to be "Why do ESPN and the media hate MCU so much and how is Bama getting away with this?"

caminvestigation_zps7a5d6c48.gif

Well, I've played both.

It's as fun, but yeah, it's different kind of fun. Superpowers are sweet, but there comes a point where you're too OP and the game has zero difficulty. The world of SR4 is also pretty pointless.

The world of GTAV is incredible, it's a much better looking game (but currently runs slower because of console limitations, can't match PC's SR4's 60 fps, but mah god GTAV on PC will blow my mind) Shooting and driving are better (though, SR4 didn't really want you to do either of these).

2 different games at this point, and what will set GTAV apart, is when Online gets put in.

Just had a rain shower with some low level sunlight in GTAV, fantastic looking.

The problem is that my beef with GTA IV didn't really start eating at me until a couple hours or so in. They have always been very pretty games, but after the whiz bang effect, the mechanics start to bother me. Like I said, I wasn't really pissed at GTA IV until I made it to Manhattan, or whatever Manhattan's analogue is in GTA.

One game which I really liked that is more "realistic" was Sleeping Dogs. The story was always pretty good and not frustrating, the penalty for death was reasonable, driving (besides on bikes) was fun as hell, and the combat was really neat. Also, purty.

mre

I'm not really sure what to take from that. Should more talk be occurring now about Fluker? Absolutely. Probably not hearing much because he's gone, any punishment would be meted out to Bama and would likely be very harsh due to how many offenses they've had. I know it's an MCU blog, but the whole thing seemed to revolve around MCU and what happened to them. Seemed to downplay the real reason for the punishment in Tressel lying, and keep harping on the fact that the kids sold their stuff for profit. They mention it's beside the point but spend the majority of the time griping about that thing that was beside the point. Gotta get those digs on Herbstreit in there too.

Gist of that article seems to be "Why do ESPN and the media hate MCU so much and how is Bama getting away with this?"

No, it won't be. There's only one game implicated--the game against ND. There is no evidence that the University had any knowledge of Fluker receiving any money. Luther Davis is not automatically a booster simply because he played for Bama, and there is no evidence that he fit any of the criteria of being a booster.

Based upon what Yahoo published, I am absolutely confident that the University will have no punishment beyond a possible forfeiture of the game against ND, and even that is extremely unlikely. You are crazy to think that Bama faces any "harsh" punishment over this.

I'd say it's more along the lines of "What has changed in the past three years that has made the sports media shift from blaming the offending athletes to blaming the institutional corruption of the NCAA?"

Of course it's told through the lens of Ohio State. It's 11W, after all.

andycapps

No, it won't be. There's only one game implicated--the game against ND. There is no evidence that the University had any knowledge of Fluker receiving any money. Luther Davis is not automatically a booster simply because he played for Bama, and there is no evidence that he fit any of the criteria of being a booster. We're not even on probation with the NCAA, nor were we on probation at the time any of this is alleged to have occurred.

Based upon what Yahoo published, I am absolutely confident that the University will have no punishment beyond a possible forfeiture of the game against ND, and even that is extremely unlikely. You are crazy to think that Bama faces any "harsh" punishment over this.

Not under probation, but Bama is under a five year "repeat offender" window.

It also is important to understand that Alabama is not completely free at last. Standard with probation of any length is a five-year "repeat-offender" window.

"Any institution within that window, even if not on probation, has to continue the heightened attention to avoid a problem that could be deemed major during that time," said Greg Sankey, who was considered the Southeastern Conference's NCAA compliance czar before he was promoted in the spring to executive associate commissioner and chief operating officer.

Alabama knows this well, having paid recently for past sins. Its five-year windows virtually have overlapped since 1995.

On Feb. 1, 2002, the NCAA hit Alabama hard with five-year probation, among other sanctions, for multiple violations of football recruiting and extra-benefits rules. Even if that had been, say, a two-year probation - as the school received after appealing harsh sanctions in 1995 for extra-benefits and amateurism rules violations and a lack of institutional control - Alabama was deemed a repeat offender because textbook policy infractions began in 2005.

In its appeal of the 2009 ruling, Alabama argued unsuccessfully that its penalties were worse than those of other schools found guilty of similar violations involving textbooks.
NCAA logo.jpg

The NCAA praised Alabama for its thorough internal investigation and yet stung the school in its report, calling it a "serial repeat offender," saying its infractions track record was "abysmal" and suggesting that its "appalling and unprecedented" recent infractions history was "unmatched by any other member institution in the NCAA."

BertramCooper said:
I'd say it's more along the lines of "What has changed in the past three years that has made the sports media shift from blaming the offending athletes to blaming the institutional corruption of the NCAA?"

Of course it's told through the lens of Ohio State. It's 11W, after all.

I can agree with them in a lot of senses, but there's a current perception that the NCAA has no power. They were not able to get Manziel because there was no concrete proof. Oregon got a slap on the wrist. There is a feeling among some that the NCAA can't do anything anyway, and every good player is getting paid, why not just regulate it? So that's a popular feeling out there to take into account, and I don't remember that being part of a national discussion at the time.

andycapps

Incoming ttk response.

I don't see what that has to do with anything. If it is found that he took money, he was ineligible and games he played while ineligible will have to be wiped out. So basically, take that latest trophy out of the Bama Walmarts and send it up to South Bend already.

KingGondo

Banned
The problem is that my beef with GTA IV didn't really start eating at me until a couple hours or so in. They have always been very pretty games, but after the whiz bang effect, the mechanics start to bother me. Like I said, I wasn't really pissed at GTA IV until I made it to Manhattan, or whatever Manhattan's analogue is in GTA.

One game which I really liked that is more "realistic" was Sleeping Dogs. The story was always pretty good and not frustrating, the penalty for death was reasonable, driving (besides on bikes) was fun as hell, and the combat was really neat. Also, purty.
The driving and shooting mechanics are much-improved IMO. It's a lot easier to just play and get lost in the world.

So far it's a blast, and I can't wait to get home tonight and play it.

Lonestar

The main point of the game so far, is based around the heists. I've done 2 so far, working on my 3rd. So far, things are pretty varied, you can choose at least 2 different ways to "pull it off" and then the sub missions begin, to Collect/case the things you need to do before the heist begins. So far, both have a pretty nice sense of "thrill"

Plus, the Heist bring about big money, at least the 1st one did, and the amount you get depends on how much % is given to the crew (selectable), if you can grab all the loot before needing to get out, and if everyone can escape (in case they don't, and have part of the loot with them when they fail)

Sure hope there are alot of Heists in the game, and hope they have alot in Online.

Haven't seen any phone calls of people wanting to go bowling/darts. Controls better than IV.

But it does come back to the fact, I loved IV too, and still can't see the hate it gets, or what parts of it pissed people off so much. If that makes my opinion on V not mean as much for you, oh well.

----

College Football related:

No coaches fired yet? I see Andy and MRE going on about repeat offender stuff, so that's nice. Fuck you, it's our turn to slide, NCAA.

andycapps

College Football related:

No coaches fired yet? I see Andy and MRE going on about repeat offender stuff, so that's nice. Fuck you, it's our turn to slide, NCAA.

Considering the inability of the NCAA to nail Manziel on what he did, I wouldn't be too worried about the NCAA finding dirt on Fluker. They seem to get worse and worse as each subsequent issue happens.

mre

I don't see what that has to do with anything. If it is found that he took money, he was ineligible and games he played while ineligible will have to be wiped out. So basically, take that latest trophy out of the Bama Walmarts and send it up to South Bend already.
(1) The bolded will not happen under any circumstances.
(2) With regards to whether or not we will have to forfeit the game, see the situation with Duke and Maggette from 1999.

andycapps

(1) The bolded will not happen under any circumstances.
(2) With regards to whether or not we will have to forfeit the game, see the situation with Duke and Maggette from 1999.

I hope that Notre Dame wouldn't get it but they'd be claiming it as their national championship, regardless. I don't know if things would be handled like the Magette situation at Duke, that was a long time ago and I'm not sure that Duke has the past run-ins that Bama has. I don't keep up with basketball too much, but obviously Duke is one of the top programs in the sport.

I don't really know what will happen with Bama. But it does seem like people should be talking about it more than they are.

mre said:
Who is this Drew guy?

According to his Twitter:

Alabama Crimson Tide diehard fan with Duke basketball a close second. Huntsville, Alabama.

According to LinkedIn, he's a Sales Associate at Sportsmania in Huntsville. As long as this is the same guy. I'm not sure who he source is. Maybe it's the guy that works at the pretzel place in the food court at that mall.

andycapps

Well by all means, carry the conversation forward.

Not much point in me taking it up, I have no platform and really no axe to grind here. National media should be talking about this a lot more. Tennessee has a current player that's implicated.

Lonestar

Well, the only thing I saw, were the Wells Fargo receipts of wiring money, and all the signatures were by the same person. But I figured it was the sender's receipt, and not the recipients copy.

mre

Well, the only thing I saw, were the Wells Fargo receipts of wiring money, and all the signatures were by the same person. But I figured it was the sender's receipt, and not the recipients copy.
It was.

Limedust

The only thing I find strange is that neither Fluker nor Luther Davis are public employees, yet their phone records were somehow accessed for the story.

mre

The only thing I find strange is that neither Fluker nor Luther Davis are public employees, yet their phone records were somehow accessed for the story.

I'm pretty sure Luther Davis provided all of the documentation.

Lonestar

I'm pretty sure Luther Davis provided all of the documentation.

Last I heard, either he or Robinson said it wasn't him. Maybe one of the secondary agents or the finance guys. Could also have been illegally taken and sent to Yahoo, or just made up.

Draxal

What's all this Pimpwerx madness? Say it ain't so, Pimpwerx! Did you seriously change allegiances from the Canes to the Gatas?

PEACE

Well, he does have to live up to the Miami fan stereotype.

We should have an official college football allegiance test.

Limedust

Just for fun...

Phil Steele: The best bet to win the BCS national championship are the Texas Longhorns (20-to-1 odds). While the Crimson Tide are my official pick to win the national championship over Ohio State this year, those two teams are the clear favorites in Las Vegas and do not give you solid value. The Longhorns, however, do give you value as they are currently favored in all 12 of their games. They are the most experienced team in the country (19 returning starters) playing in a Big 12 Conference that ranks as the least experienced conference in college football this year. Five of my nine sets of power ratings call for an unbeaten Longhorns season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom