• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 4| #KARMA

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to believe anyone truly thought that Mack would turn it all around this year.

I wasn't out on the year until I heard these words (approximately) come out of Manny Diaz's mouth:

"We plan on fixing our missed tackle problem by having more people in the area"

Yes, gang tackling is a good idea, but that's not a fix to shitty tackling.

Meanwhile, my baseball team does this:

original.gif

It has not been a good sports year for me.

Were we first to 100 (losses)?
Hey at least we'll get another 1st round pick, which means little to nothing in baseball.

Jhriad

Hey guys, haven't been paying attention to college football since Sunday so what did I miss? Probably nothing I'd be interested in right?

Code:
Bo Pelini Tape

tumblr_lezprm0moJ1qcou5x.gif

*sigh*

I hope he remains here as his new players are showing they're talented.

Why? Regardless of whether or not he's here most of those players will still be here. The blowout losses and now this shit aren't going to create an environment conducive to recruiting. Those kids are going to smell blood in the water (not to mention be told about it by competing recruiting staffs) and they're going to wonder why they should commit to a guy that in all likelihood won't be coaching the entire time they're playing for the team.

Give me a coach who tirelessly recruits and surrounds himself with a world class staff, and let's see where it goes.

And produces good men on and off the field. Plenty will be said about PeLLLLini but he has run a clean program that graduates good student-athletes. I commend him for that. Even still I've been saying since last year (or was it the year before?) that he needs to go. It's even more important now as the stench of coaching career death is all over the staff and keeping them around will only put a persistent stigma over our already extremely difficult recruiting efforts. Start the coach search now, lock up a great, proven head coach and then start focusing on the best staff you can possibly assemble. Have a staff ready as soon as possible after the season ends. Don't cheap out and hire another staff on a budget. Pry open that checkbook and don't stop adding zeroes until you have the best possible staff you, or anyone with the resources Nebraska has, could put together. I don't care if you have to throw the whole damn bank vault at them, you do it.

Every asshole with an asshole has "sources" now.

Ridiculous.

Don't be too quick to write folks off. You'd be surprised who has "sources" in or around college programs nowadays. Might not even be for their preferred program. :)

The Pelini tape didn't shock me in the slightest. It's pretty much been an open secret that he hates being in Nebraska.

But if the dude can't even handle notoriously nice Husker fans, I can't imagine how he'd deal with a truly hostile fanbase.

AntoneM

Say it ain't so tOSU fans...

Of course you're not going to hear people using the term "faggot" in the classroom but did you even go to social gatherings or have friends? I'm not trying to be mean but I don't see how you could not hear the term "faggot" used at all during college or especially highschool. I went to The Ohio State University and heard that shit almost daily, especially at sporting events where I was seated with my peers. Ya know, IN THE STUDENT SECTION.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=82547069&postcount=354

Jhriad

The Pelini tape didn't shock me in the slightest. It's pretty much been an open secret that he hates being in Nebraska.

But if the dude can't even handle notoriously nice Husker fans, I can't imagine how he'd deal with a truly hostile fanbase.

Yeah, it's been rumored that he's wanted to leave for a while. Unfortunately for us the product he puts on the field hasn't been good enough for him to get anywhere near as good a job elsewhere. We're stuck with him until ticket sales slow enough that the sellout streak is conceivably in danger. That's when a mad scramble to find a new staff will begin.

TBH I'm hard pressed to think of who I'd want for a head coach. A lot of the guys I would've wanted last year or the year before are at new jobs now.

Yeah, it's been rumored that he's wanted to leave for a while. Unfortunately for us the product he puts on the field hasn't been good enough for him to get anywhere near as good a job elsewhere. We're stuck with him until ticket sales slow enough that the sellout streak is conceivably in danger. That's when a mad scramble to find a new staff will begin.

Just be glad you're not Iowa.

AntoneM

Theyre on to us! We're secretly homophobic while being in the top 25 schools in the US for being LGBT-friendly.

Also, drunk kids saying rude,insensitive, mean things. Breaking news!
So your saying this guy is pretty much just an immature douche. Good, I didn't think Ohio State was that backward. I mean, ASU is pretty fucked up so I'm not going to throw stones.

So your saying this guy is pretty much just an immature douche. Good, I didn't think Ohio State was that backward. I mean, ASU is pretty fucked up so I'm not going to throw stones.

The things he posted in that thread I have not found to be true. Have I heard a drunk guy late on a friday/saturday night yell some hateful things? Sure, but that will happen literally every single place.

I was walking around one night in Oxford, OH near Main St./Miami University and got called a n***er once out of the blue.

I just looked at him, smirked then walked along my way.

Fun fact: I applied to and was accepted by Ohio State, but it's in Ohio, so, you know.

Why did you even apply then? Or were you the guy out of highschool who knew you could get in to almost any University you desired, so you applied to most if not all of them so you could have a laundry list of schools you rejected.

"Hi I'm Karakand, and Ohio wanted me, but like Lebron I said the F with Ohio and took my talents to the coast"

Karakand

The number of universities in a tier of education I had a realistic possibility of entering into (i.e. below Ivy) that offered my major was extremely low, so I had to apply to all of them.

I coulda been a Longhorn too!

cashman

Banned
Why did you even apply then? Or were you the guy out of highschool who knew you could get in to almost any University you desired, so you applied to most if not all of them so you could have a laundry list of schools you rejected.

"Hi I'm Karakand, and Ohio wanted me, but like Lebron I said the F with Ohio and took my talents to the coast"

If you made reasonably good grades in high school tOSU wouldn't be a particularly hard school to get into. It's worth it to see if you could get any type of scholly money and go there.

The number of universities in a tier of education I had a realistic possibility of entering into (i.e. below Ivy) that offered my major was extremely low, so I had to apply to all of them.

I coulda been a Longhorn too!

Hook Em! I thought your major was fairly common though. Wasn't it Humanities or some other Liberal arts major? I remember you being satirical on the subject many moons ago, but my major was in the Comm. school so I have no room to pass judgement regardless of anyone's major.

If you made reasonably good grades in high school tOSU wouldn't be a particularly hard school to get into. It's worth it to see if you could get any type of scholly money and go there.

My grades in highschool sucked, and I graduated between the top 20% and 25% of my class. My only hope for scholarships was in sports, but tennis scholarships were rare, DIII schools couldn't give athletic scholarships, and only a couple DII schools looked at me and my tour of Dallas Baptist literally scared the shit out of me. So I went to CC for 1.5 years then transferred to UT. My CC GPA was around a 3.75 so I had no problem getting into UT with that on my transcript.

xeris

(FRI) Boise State @ Fresno State by 7
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 4
Wake Forest @ Army by 4
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 7
Houston vs. Rice by 4
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 6
West Virginia @ Maryland by 4
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 7
Arizona State @ Stanford by 7
Kansas State @ Texas by 4
Missouri @ Indiana by 4
Utah @ BYU by 7

Limedust

Bama-GAF: T-Rich to Indy? Wow.

I almost went to Georgia Tech, but the Bama (partial) schollies and in-state tuition rate they granted me sealed the deal. Very lucky to get my degree for such a pittance.

I almost went to Georgia Tech, but the Bama (partial) schollies and in-state tuition rate they granted me sealed the deal. Very lucky to get my degree for such a pittance.

Poor browns fans, the stupidity of that organization is almost rivaling the stupidity of Mike Brown in the early 2000s.

andycapps

Poor browns fans, the stupidity of that organization is almost rivaling the stupidity of Mike Brown in the early 2000s.

Yeah I feel sorry for Browns fans. Obviously Browns are writing off this year and going for the top QB in the draft.

Have fun with JFF, Browns fans! That is such a Cleveland pick. Not saying he's the top QB coming out, but the media loves him and I wouldn't be surprised if he's the top QB on the boards.

GAF Pick'em Week 4 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(FRI) Boise State @ Fresno State by 4
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 3
Wake Forest @ Army by 5
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 4
Houston vs. Rice by 10
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 5
West Virginia @ Maryland by 4
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 4
Kansas State @ Texas by 5 Pillow fight of the week.
Missouri @ Indiana by 8
Utah @ BYU by 25

KingGondo

Banned

Memo to Bama fans who don't watch the Browns:

Trent Truck has been a big disappointment. He's injury-prone, doesn't make plays on his own, and can't play on 3rd down.

Getting a first-round pick was a great return for him. It only looks worse in retrospect because the previous regime was dumb enough to trade up for him.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Trent Truck has been a big disappointment. He's injury-prone, doesn't make plays on his own, and can't play on 3rd down.

Getting a first-round pick was a great return for him. It only looks worse in retrospect because the previous regime was dumb enough to trade up for him.

No such thing as a 1 person team. No Offensive Line, no QB, no WR.

But yes, I admit it, Trent isn't Barry Sanders.

andycapps

I'm not sure if this says more about Richardson or Weeden. I think it's the fact that they can get a fresh start at QB while trading away Richardson while he still has value. Weeden's time is obviously limited.

GAF Pick'em Week 4 Games

(FRI) Boise State @ Fresno State by 6
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 17
Wake Forest @ Army by 4
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 10
Houston vs. Rice by 6
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 6
West Virginia @ Maryland by 14
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 4
Arizona State @ Stanford by 14
Kansas State @ Texas by 4
Missouri @ Indiana by 7
Utah @ BYU by 13

A lot of bad, but hopefully entertaining football this week. I think I stared at that Kansas State/Texas pick for about an hour.

Draxal

Rbs are just devalued in the current NFL. Its also pretty hard to evaluate Bama's skill players. McCarron looked amazing against the Aggies but he had all the time in the world.

KingGondo

Banned
But yes, I admit it, Trent isn't Barry Sanders.
You're damn right. Nobody's Barry except Barry.
I'm not sure if this says more about Richardson or Weeden. I think it's the fact that they can get a fresh start at QB while trading away Richardson while he still has value. Weeden's time is obviously limited.
Yeah, his days are numbered, and it's probably for the best for both parties. The Browns don't want him, and he can be better utilized elsewhere.

That said, I'll still root for the Browns... Unless they draft that shitbird Manziel.

Bishman

University of Houston alumni here! Who ever is picking Rice will be surprised come Saturday. You know we have Ambles, a 5 star recruit receiver from USC playing this weekend. I warned you.

(FRI) Boise State @ Fresno State by 7
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 10
Wake Forest @ Army by 1
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 10
Houston vs. Rice by 24
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 7
West Virginia @ Maryland by 5
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 10
Kansas State @ Texas by 7
Missouri @ Indiana by 7
Utah @ BYU by 7

andycapps

You're damn right. Nobody's Barry except Barry.

Yeah, his days are numbered, and it's probably for the best for both parties. The Browns don't want him, and he can be better utilized elsewhere.

That said, I'll still root for the Browns... Unless they draft that shitbird Manziel.

Can you refresh my memory of how you ended up being a Browns fan? I don't really know that Weeden is really an NFL QB. He can potentially be a serviceable one somewhere or maybe a good backup, but he's not going to be a top 10 QB in the league at his age and with his abilities.

Manziel wouldn't be a good pick for the Browns, which is why I think they might get him. Bridgewater, Mariota, or Murray would be good picks but the problem in Cleveland is no OL and bad receivers. If I were them I'd pick a good OL first, get a QB with my second first round pick, then get a WR, then another OL.

KingGondo

Banned
Can you refresh my memory of how you ended up being a Browns fan? I don't really know that Weeden is really an NFL QB. He can potentially be a serviceable one somewhere or maybe a good backup, but he's not going to be a top 10 QB in the league at his age and with his abilities.
I just started following the team after they drafted Weeden, and I'm not attached to any other NFL team. They have some nice pieces, and it's kinda fun to root for an underdog.

Weeden needs to go to a situation where he just needs to manage the game, a la Alex Smith in San Francisco. He'd be an improvement over a guy like Ponder.

Bridgewater, Mariota, or Murray would be good picks but the problem in Cleveland is no OL and bad receivers. If I were them I'd pick a good OL first, get a QB with my second first round pick, then get a WR, then another OL.
The OL situation isn't as desperate as it seems--they've had injuries.

But yes, they definitely need to work on building WR depth and they have to finally get a decent young QB through the draft.

Honestly, I can see how the T-Rich trade could help us out in the long run; I just don't have any faith in this new regime to pull it off.

We absolutely have to tank the season. 0-16 or bust.

Draxal

Honestly, I can see how the T-Rich trade could help us out in the long run; I just don't have any faith in this new regime to pull it off.

We absolutely have to tank the season. 0-16 or bust.

Clowney is really good, but so are Bridgewater and Boyd. It's much better to be shitastic this season than last year.

andycapps

I just started following the team after they drafted Weeden, and I'm not attached to any other NFL team. They have some nice pieces, and it's kinda fun to root for an underdog.

Weeden needs to go to a situation where he just needs to manage the game, a la Alex Smith in San Francisco. He'd be an improvement over a guy like Ponder.

Hasn't OSU put more players in the pros that you can root for other than Weeden? I can't fathom just starting to like the NFL and picking the Browns as your team. I mean, that's got to be the worst form of torture. Nobody will ever be able to accuse you of being a fairweather fan, that's the plus of it.

Trading up to get Clowney doesn't make sense for the Browns when they don't have a QB, RB, or OL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom