• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 4| #KARMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

Hasn't OSU put more players in the pros that you can root for other than Weeden? I can't fathom just starting to like the NFL and picking the Browns as your team. I mean, that's got to be the worst form of torture. Nobody will ever be able to accuse you of being a fairweather fan, that's the plus of it.

Trading up to get Clowney doesn't make sense for the Browns when they don't have a QB, RB, or OL.

They're not trading up for Clowney, if they get one they'll try to trade down to 2 or 3. It is Boyd/Bridgewater or bust. The one position that's actually kinda stacked for the Browns is the dline.

KingGondo

Banned
No, it really isn't.

I can't fathom anyone being a Browns fan for "fun." It's fucking miserable.
I'm not gonna lie, watching the first two games this year in full was awful.

Just as soon as they did anything good, they'd have a stupid penalty or overthrown pass or sack...

We'll see how it goes, but I still enjoy rooting for them. At least that front 7 is fun to watch.
Hasn't OSU put more players in the pros that you can root for other than Weeden? I can't fathom just starting to like the NFL and picking the Browns as your team. I mean, that's got to be the worst form of torture. Nobody will ever be able to accuse you of being a fairweather fan, that's the plus of it.
I followed the Pats before, but that's mainly because 1) my wife's from New England and 2) they're fun to watch, they're on national TV a bunch, and they win.

On the other side, I can never be a Dallas Cowboys fan even though they have 3 former OSU players in prominent positions. I kinda want them to do well, but that's about as far as it goes.

Trading up to get Clowney doesn't make sense for the Browns when they don't have a QB, RB, or OL.
This. Best-case scenario for Cleveland is that they get the #1 pick and are able to trade back for a king's ransom to whoever wants Clowney. The last place they need help is on the D-line.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody will ever be able to accuse you of being a fairweather fan, that's the plus of it.

For a decade the response I got 99% of the time when telling people I am a Ravens fan was something along the lines of "that's interesting, why? Are you from there?" For the last 7 or 8 months 99% of the time it's "Oh, you're one of THOSE guys."

Draxal

For a decade the response I got 99% of the time when telling people I am a Ravens fan was something along the lines of "that's interesting, why? Are you from there?" For the last 7 or 8 months 99% of the time it's "Oh, you're one of THOSE guys."

But you kinda won ... 13 years ago as well.

<---- trying to forget that game.

KingGondo

Banned
Why on earth would we trade a #1 pick?
I'm only talking about the scenario in which a team at #3 or #4 has a hard-on for Clowney and is willing to trade up to get him, allowing the Browns to still get Bridgewater, Boyd, or Hundley at the other team's pick.

A couple of the mock drafts I've seen have us going with Hundley at #2 and somebody like Sammy Watkins with the Colts' pick. That would be a nice haul.

andycapps

Browns don't want the consensus number 1, you need Bridgewater or Boyd, Clowney's most likely going to go one, you'd trade down to 2 or 3.

Why not just pick the QB they want with the #1 overall, if they got it? I suppose maybe they could get an extra pick out of it if the #1 QB is still going to be on the board by pick 2 or 3.

Quake1028

You guys keep saying Boyd, but so far, neither of the ESPN Draft "Gurus" have him rated as one of the top 3-6 QB's on the board.

Kiper has Bridgewater, Hundley and Mariota ahead of him, at least.

McShay has Bridgewater, Hundley, Mariota, Manziel, McCarron and Stephen Morris (lawl) ahead of him.

Of course this can all change. And this is ESPN, after all.

Limedust

My wife was a Browns fan up until they moved to Baltimore, so she swapped with the team and became a Ravens fan from the start... even after Cleveland got a team again.

I asked her how she started as a Browns fan when she spent her entire childhood growing up in northwestern PA. Answer: Everybody there was either a Pitt or Bills fan, and she wanted to be different.

Having Alabama and Baltimore as the house football teams was nice for the 2012-2013 season.

andycapps

You guys keep saying Boyd, but so far, neither of the ESPN Draft "Gurus" have him rated as one of the top 3-6 QB's on the board.

Kiper has Bridgewater, Hundley and Mariota ahead of him, at least.

McShay has Bridgewater, Hundley, Mariota, Manziel, McCarron and Stephen Morris (lawl) ahead of him.

Of course this can all change. And this is ESPN, after all.

I usually dislike ESPN's mock drafts. I think they listen to a lot of the hype out there for athletes and seem to miss on their picks because of that.

Way too early to tell and I don't know what authoritative services would say on 2014 draft, but this guy has his top 10 as follows:

Boyd - Clemson
McCarron - Bama
Morris - Miami
Fales- San Jose State
Murray - UGA
Carr- Fresno State
Mettenberger - LSU
Mathews - Cornell
Garoppolo - Eastern Illinois
Renner - North Carolina

Karakand

Hook Em! I thought your major was fairly common though. Wasn't it Humanities or some other Liberal arts major? I remember you being satirical on the subject many moons ago, but my major was in the Comm. school so I have no room to pass judgement regardless of anyone's major.

A 1,300+ year old liturgical language was not that common at the time, though I think it's increased in availability since.

Draxal

I usually dislike ESPN's mock drafts. I think they listen to a lot of the hype out there for athletes and seem to miss on their picks because of that.

Way too early to tell and I don't know what authoritative services would say on 2014 draft, but this guy has his top 10 as follows:

Boyd - Clemson
McCarron - Bama
Morris - Miami
Fales- San Jose State
Murray - UGA
Carr- Fresno State
Mettenberger - LSU
Mathews - Cornell
Renner - North Carolina

That list doesn't have underclassmen ranked. But yeah I agree its to early, remember when Barkely got Kiffikened.

cashman

Banned

Boyd - Clemson
McCarron - Bama
Morris - Miami
Fales- San Jose State
Murray - UGA
Carr- Fresno State
Mettenberger - LSU
Mathews - Cornell
Renner - North Carolina

It looks like he just straight up forgot about bridgewater

Quake1028

Boyd - Clemson
McCarron - Bama
Morris - Miami
Fales- San Jose State
Murray - UGA
Carr- Fresno State
Mettenberger - LSU
Mathews - Cornell
Renner - North Carolina

Agreed with all of your points, but it's worth noting those are his Top 10 Juniors/Seniors.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
My wife was a Browns fan up until they moved to Baltimore, so she swapped with the team and became a Ravens fan from the start... even after Cleveland got a team again.

I asked her how she started as a Browns fan when she spent her entire childhood growing up in northwestern PA. Answer: Everybody there was either a Pitt or Bills fan, and she wanted to be different.

Having Alabama and Baltimore as the house football teams was nice for the 2012-2013 season.

I tend to like teams that run the ball well and have a great defense. That's what my high school did (we didn't even throw ANY passes in many games) and that's what Tech did up until Leach got there (hard to believe with the last decade and a half of Tech's history that in the early '90s Bam Morris was 2nd or 3rd in the country in rushing yards one season and in the mid '90s Byron Hanspard had a 2,000+ yard rushing season; both players won the Doak Walker award) so early on in Baltimore's history they were a great fit for the kind of football I really enjoyed.

I don't know why I stuck with them and not with other teams; for instance, the Titans played much the same kind of football and I grew up around a ton of Titans fans (people that were Houston Oilers fans before the move, much like how your wife is a Baltimore fan). The Super Bowl win helped, of course, and maybe I just wanted to be a contrarian since I was around so many Titans fans and the two teams had a fantastic rivalry at the time. I didn't follow the NFL all that closely back then so I didn't even really know about the whole Ray Lewis murder thing until Super Bowl week or somewhere near then.

mcgruber

University of Houston alumni here! Who ever is picking Rice will be surprised come Saturday. You know we have Ambles, a 5 star recruit receiver from USC playing this weekend. I warned you.

you beat temple by 9. temple.

chaos- what was scary about dallas baptist?

andycapps

Walter Football has a mock draft for first 3 rounds, but I don't think they have anything position specific. Could be wrong about that.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Who's ready for some Vols/Gators football!

@ pat_dooley

My column for tomorrow is on lack of buzz for UF-UT. Case in point -- Vols returned 3500 of 8000 tickets and did it early this summer.

Not Those Guys, apparently.

LegoDad

(FRI) Boise State @ Fresno State by 4
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 9
Wake Forest @ Army by 4
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 4
Houston vs. Rice by 4
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 4
West Virginia @ Maryland by 4
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 4
Arizona State @ Stanford by 9
Kansas State @ Texas by 4
Missouri @ Indiana by 4
Utah @ BYU by 9

Talon

Hey guys, remember that unbearable Will Ferrell and Matthew Mcconaughey lead-in to the 2005 Rose Bowl?

Let's never let that happen again.

KingGondo

Banned
(FRI) Boise State @ Fresno State by 4
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 4
Wake Forest @ Army by 4
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 4
Houston vs. Rice by 4
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 4
West Virginia @ Maryland by 4
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 4
Arizona State @ Stanford by 4
Kansas State @ Texas by 12
Missouri @ Indiana by 4
Utah @ BYU by 4

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I'm as worried about Saban leaving as I am about the NCAA penalizing the University.

Which is to say, not at all.

I'm as worried about Saban leaving as I am about the NCAA penalizing the University.

Which is to say, not at all.

I have a dump truck full of money and a gold plated toilet that says differently.

I don't know if taking a shit on gold plate feels better, but we have it anyway.

mre

I have a dump truck full of money and a gold plated toilet that says differently.

I don't know if taking a shit on gold plate feels better, but we have it anyway.
I'm not saying that Texas couldn't outspend us for Saban, but Texas couldn't outspend us for Saban without spending an incredibly stupid amount of money.

mre

I just want to see Texas offer $20 million for the :lols.

Really, why the hell not if you're Texas?
$20m would qualify as an incredibly stupid amount of money, and would actually be about $23-25m when you factor in Brown's buyout. I don't think Bama would match anything more than $10-11m, but I could be wrong, given how much he has earned the academic side of the university. Bama might go all in to keep him, and $20m is a number I think we could match.

Pick 'em like they're hot:

(FRI) Boise State @ Fresno State by 8
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 4
Wake Forest @ Army by 4
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 11
Houston vs. Rice by 7
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 8
West Virginia @ Maryland by 10
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 4
Arizona State @ Stanford by 4
Kansas State @ Texas by 4
Missouri @ Indiana by 10
Utah @ BYU by 7

ag-my001

(FRI) Boise State @ Fresno State by 11
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech by 7
Wake Forest @ Army by 7
Pittsburgh @ Duke by 10
Houston vs. Rice by 8
Michigan State @ Notre Dame by 13
West Virginia @ Maryland by 16
Arkansas @ Rutgers by 10
Arizona State @ Stanford by 9
Kansas State @ Texas by 6
Missouri @ Indiana by 10
Utah @ BYU by 8

cashman

Banned
20130110_mje_se2_533.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Big Cigars? ShaggyBevo going motherfucker. :p

Big Cigar is just the term for the fanfic writer over at Inside Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom