• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This place is so quiet today. What are ya'll reading?

I'm reading American Vampire vol 3. Pearl is so awesome.

I didn't feel like starting anything new last night so I went back and reread some stuff that's coming out this Wednesday.

Anybody think ANMN Hulk will be any good?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yo, Iron Fist was dope as hell. This is my first Kaare Andrews book and my first real Iron Fist book and damn, what a great intro. The panels with Iron Fist doing his Bruce Lee silhouette action against the chick sleeping in his bed were phenomenal.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just finished up vol 3 of saga this afternoon. Damn I love this book. I guess it might be a bit frustrating to read as singles but it makes for a satisfying experience in a volume by volume basis. The mix of bizarre space war and slice of life family dynamics is unique, the art is lovely and there's always a good few shock moments thrown in for good measure. Now to wait another 8 months for more...

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Just finished up vol 3 of saga this afternoon. Damn I love this book. I guess it might be a bit frustrating to read as singles but it makes for a satisfying experience in a volume by volume basis. The mix of bizarre space war and slice of life family dynamics is unique, the art is lovely and there's always a good few shock moments thrown in for good measure. Now to wait another 8 months for more...

Hey, by then, Sandman Overture issue 3 will be out as well (maybe)!

Owzers

Yo, Iron Fist was dope as hell. This is my first Kaare Andrews book and my first real Iron Fist book and damn, what a great intro. The panels with Iron Fist doing his Bruce Lee silhouette action against the chick sleeping in his bed were phenomenal.

Have you heard of Spider-Man: Reign? That mini by Andrews got me to pre-order Iron Fist, though it's good to hear some positive impressions while i wait for dcbs.

ElNarez

Banned
The most messed up thing about the TT (heh, sounds like titty, geddit???) #1 cover is how goddamn messed up the scale is. Like, if we don't take down Rocafort for doing the same bullshit comic book anatomy that most artists still do, the perspective is all kinds of fucked up. Like, the buildings are fine, but the titans seem fucking huge compared to them. Like, I'm pretty sure all of them save for maybe Beast Boy would actually be taller than the bus in the background.

And like, maybe it's for effect like, "they're TITANS, get it?", but that's a shitty fucking way to sell that effect. Which is a shame, because, conceptually, kids hanging around, doing a thing that explains their character and powerset is a good cover for a #1.

It's good that we break down what's shitty about things in that way, but I don't think it's the most messed up cover one could have done a breakdown on.

All New Ghostwriter has alleviated most of my fears about it being Morbius redux. No I just hope we get a long run with the creative team and that ot eventually breaks away from gamgs. Justin Jordan's career highlight will be discovering Tradd Moore. Brah is so schway.

Eldren

Pretty good haul this week. American Vampire vol 6, Chew vol 8, Saga vol 3 and Rat Queens vol 1. I completely forgot that I'd preordered AmVamp until it arrived but it looks brilliant. I loved the first Travis Kidd story in vol 4 so I'm glad he's back, and the anthology has a killer stable of writers and artists involved so I imagine that'll be a fun read.

I've just started the second Avengers Arena trade, this is a really fun series so far. Some great twists and turns with gorgeous art (the colours especially). I was worried that I'd be completely lost with all the characters I hadn't read before but it's easy enough to follow, and the flashbacks clue you in on everyone anyway. I like that even though the English kids are new characters (Anachronism, Apex, Kid Briton, etc) their story is still impactful. Good stuff so far, I'm glad I listened to the recommendations here.

ElNarez

Banned
Same. I read the first three or four chapters and I feel totally in the Dark. I never read the first volume but I'd be heard it wasn't a requisite read.

I feel like, while Singles Club has loads of appeal, Rue Britannia is at least necessary to get some idea of how Phonogram works. In looking at one character and one specific genre of music, it gives one particular example that explains how the metaphor of music as magic works, which Singles Club and it's multi-character focus doesn't really have the time to do. There aren't that many specifics to it, which is probably why people recommend skipping Rue Britannia, but I feel you need the framework it provides to get all of Phonogram.

ALSO: All-New Ghost Rider #2 made me realize the thing basically reads like a manga, meaning its biggest problem is that it's not coming out faster.

Filthy Slug

Have you heard of Spider-Man: Reign? That mini by Andrews got me to pre-order Iron Fist, though it's good to hear some positive impressions while i wait for dcbs.

Haven't read it but I remember it being mentioned a little while back as Spidey's DKR? I'm definitely going to check it out after reading Iron Fist.

Hearthstone has been eating into my comic time, but I've been going through Fraction's Iron Man. I also read Spider-Man: Family Business a couple of days ago. Very expensive for what you get, but still good.

kswiston

Haven't read it but I remember it being mentioned a little while back as Spidey's DKR? I'm definitely going to check it out after reading Iron Fist.

Spider-man: reign is over the top in its bleakness. For instance, before the main story begins
Peter Parker inadvertently killed Mary Jane with his radioactive semen

Hagi

Finally caught up with Superior Spider man and Goblin Nation is pretty underwhelming, especially as a finale. I know there's an issue left but i can't see whatever twists Slott has in store will turn this around from being a half baked affair. On the whole I'm not sure I'll be sad to see this incarnation of Spiderman go, to be honest it never really felt like they were in it with both feet.

I hope they have Carlie explain to everyone the situation in issue 1 of Amazing so there's no long drawn out bullshit, the hand waving of the swap has been bad enough for the past 30 issues no need to extend it. I'd love for a writer to join the fold but it doesn't look like that will be happening anytime soon.

Yeah it's a bit of a rip off from DKR but it's pretty good. The art is incredible.

Spider-man: reign is over the top in its bleakness. For instance, before the main story begins
Peter Parker inadvertently killed Mary Jane with his radioactive semen

The art is good but the writing is terrible, only similar to DKR in the sense that it's an older version of the hero.

Edit: kswiston covered it already... although after reading the spoiler you're not going to want to spend money on buying it. Better just read it at the library, honestly.

dan2026

Reading Superior Foes of Spider-man has really cemented how much I don't like Slott's Spider-man.

Foes is fun, witty and charming with its callbacks to Spider history.
Slott's Spider-man just feels souless and slightly crappy, I can't put my finger on why but it has never clicked with me.

Definitely check out Fraction and Aja's Iron Fist run if you like the character. It was really good.

I'm still working my way through Dan Slott's She-Hulk run. It's great so far. After I'm done with that I'm gonna read through Queen and Country since I grabbed the first volume the other day. I know nothing about it but I like Greg Rucka so I'll give it a shot.

PsychBat!

Banned
Who's getting this next week?

THORGOT2012021-DC11-LR-b267c.jpg

Hellers

Did anyone else read Caliban this week? I really liked it. It's not very often we get that sort of classic sci-fi comic and I loved the art.

MartyStu

As in Hawkgal? But in the Ultimates universe? Miles is so lucky :(

Me me me

Dat art. Wonderful faces.

I wonder if they ever plan on using Loki for an arc or two.

I hope not. The kinds of stories that this run has excelled at preclude using Loki as he currently is.

Messi

I hope not. The kinds of stories that this run has excelled at preclude using Loki as he currently is.

Yeah I do agree. I just assumed with the crazy Loki love after Avengers they would throw him in there as a cash grab. Thor is in the first issue of Loki. They are nailing the stories without him though.

Filthy Slug

The art is good but the writing is terrible, only similar to DKR in the sense that it's an older version of the hero.

Edit: kswiston covered it already... although after reading the spoiler you're not going to want to spend money on buying it. Better just read it at the library, honestly.
That spoiler made this a must-read. This is an example when keeping it real goes wrong. Also, is the writing truly bad or just the story? Kaare's Iron Fist issue is moody, detached, surprisingly funny, a bit sad, and genuinely good. There's a lot in this first issue, and it's put together very well.

I just thought the writing was really bad. Like that kid protesters that not one minute you believe in, they're just mouthpieces for Kaare.

Chorazin

I'm probably the only one reading it, and I'm definitely biased towards all things zombie-related, but man, Afterlife with Archie is a great book. Fucking amazing pulp-horror inspired art and great layouts. Typical zombie apoc story, but it's definitely not G rated typical Archie style, it's full on horror.

I'm probably the only one reading it, and I'm definitely biased towards all things zombie-related, but man, Afterlife with Archie is a great book. Fucking amazing pulp-horror inspired art and great layouts. Typical zombie apoc story, but it's definitely not G rated typical Archie style, it's full on horror.

You are not alone my friend. It is a great book.

Really happy to see some Ghost Rider love in here, I'm excited to see where that series goes.

I reread Shutter again and realize the first issue doesn't make a very strong statement. Leila del Duca art was very good though, haven't seen her work before. The next issue will decide if I keep it out not.

Really happy to see some Ghost Rider love in here, I'm excited to see where that series goes.

I reread Shutter again and realize the first issue doesn't make a very strong statement. Leila del Duca art was very good though, haven't seen her work before. The next issue will decide if I keep it out not.
Welcome to the work of Joe Keatinge.

All New X Men 25 is the most decompressed comin I have er read, and that was after reading Starlight issue 2. Shit was practically an art book. And I don't need webcomics in my print books, they are webcomics for a reason. It was nice to see Bruce Timm drawing dully clothed women.

Bii

Alright, I'm going to rummage through my physical Marvel comics later today and see what digital codes I have available (I never claimed any of them). Anyone interested in free codes? I can't be bothered trying to sell them individually so it's just easier to give them away, haha. Some of the ones I know I do have are Daredevil, Wolverine & the X-Men, Moon Knight #1, All-New Ghost Rider #1-2, Punisher #1-4, Black Widow #1-5, Battle of the Atom (across multiple series, of course), Infinity (this 6-part series came with digital codes, right?), err...some other ones that I can't think of now.

Timo

Tradd is doing some seriously cool shit. Shutter looked nice. I didn't flip through Daredevil 1.50 before I got it and I might regret that. Afterlife with Archie #4 finally came into my shop, thank goodness. A much shorter read than normal somehow.

Alright, I'm going to rummage through my physical Marvel comics later today and see what digital codes I have available (I never claimed any of them). Anyone interested in free codes? I can't be bothered trying to sell them individually so it's just easier to give them away, haha. Some of the ones I know I do have are Daredevil, Wolverine & the X-Men, Moon Knight #1, All-New Ghost Rider #1-2, Punisher #1-4, Black Widow #1-5, Battle of the Atom (across multiple series, of course), Infinity (this 6-part series came with digital codes, right?), err...some other ones that I can't think of now.

I found out the hard way that digital codes expire after a bit, so hopefully all of your work. (I will never get digital copies of AvX 8-12 :( )

Bii

I found out the hard way that digital codes expire after a bit, so hopefully all of your work. (I will never get digital copies of AvX 8-12 :( )

I think most of them expire within a year of their release, so I was just thinking/listing of recent series/issues I've bought in the last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom