• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkon

Disappointed to hear about Fraction leaving FF. I'll give Allred a chance though, especially if it's true the storylines are set to conclude with the #16s as mentioned in the CBR article

Acid08

Banned
Sucks about Fraction leaving FF, it was one of my favorite Marvel titles. Will probably give the new writer a try but....not expecting too much.

So I want to start reading Batman comics. Where should I start? Most of my knowledge of the Batman universe comes from watching the animated series growing up and the recent Batman movies and games. The one thing I dont want to read is like where batman goes to different dimensions or turns into zombie or robot Batman or something like that. Lol I just want a series where it tells how Bruce Wayne became Batman and the back story of the villains how each villain came to be.

Thanks for the help guys!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I want to start reading Batman comics. Where should I start? Most of my knowledge of the Batman universe comes from watching the animated series growing up and the recent Batman movies and games. The one thing I dont want to read is like where batman goes to different dimensions or turns into zombie or robot Batman or something like that. Lol I just want a series where it tells how Bruce Wayne became Batman and the back story of the villains how each villain came to be.

If all you want is a Batman origin comic read Year One. It's complete and a classic. Everyone should read it.

Also Snyder is currently in the middle of Zero Year, which is a reboot of that updated for modern times (Year One was NYC in the 70's and Zero Year is modern day).

Messi

It was good.
Writers make horrible first impressions
and
The Will is going to be getting his bone on soon from the looks of it

Damn it I am finally caught up. Now what do I do. Fuck I have to wait another month lol.

frye

Finally

A U-Go Girl ongoing

alert fyre

I love her and I love Mike Allred but I wouldn't be down without Milligan (even if he hasn't put out a great comic since... Dead Girl? which was like in 2006 goddamn)

I'd read an Allred Dazzler or something tho

Batman: Year One is the default recommendation for an "origin" since it came out. DC is publishing "Zero Year" right now which will update it but Year One is a legitimate classic, and worth reading either way. The Killing Joke is for better or worse a hugely important comic for the Joker. Ummmm and the Long Halloween is Jeph Loeb writing All Your Favourites and has a bit of a Two-Face origin iirc. Mr. Freeze's best depiction is in TAS tbh.

If all you want is a Batman origin comic read Year One. It's complete and a classic. Everyone should read it.

Also Snyder is currently in the middle of Zero Year, which is a reboot of that updated for modern times (Year One was NYC in the 70's and Zero Year is modern day).

Batman: Year One is the default recommendation for an "origin" since it came out. DC is publishing "Zero Year" right now which will update it but Year One is a legitimate classic, and worth reading either way. The Killing Joke is for better or worse a hugely important comic for the Joker. Ummmm and the Long Halloween is Jeph Loeb writing All Your Favourites and has a bit of a Two-Face origin iirc. Mr. Freeze's best depiction is in TAS tbh.

OK, I'll check that out. Thanks!

I remember hearing a few years back that DC was resetting all their comics to #1s. So is that like taking all the old comics and updating them to modern times? Unless I heard wrong. Sorry if I sound dumb with all this but I never was into comics growing up so I don't know how that stuff all works. Lol

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I remember hearing a few years back that DC was resetting all their comics to #1s. So is that like taking all the old comics and updating them to modern times? Unless I heard wrong. Sorry if I sound dumb with all this but I never was into comics growing up so I don't know how that stuff all works. Lol

It was basically a reboot of the universe. All the #1 are a good spot to pick up on the characters. Especially the Batman comic, that one's always been near the top of the quality book list for DC's reboot.

Messi

Pick up the trade of Batman: A Court of Owls vol 1. Its the first volume of the current batman story and it's easy to follow.

Batman: Year One, followed by The Long Halloween. Dark Victory if you liked The Long Halloween.

You'll also get a lot of Killing Joke and The Dark Knight Returns recommendations.

It was basically a reboot of the universe. All the #1 are a good spot to pick up on the characters. Especially the Batman comic, that one's always been near the top of the quality book list for DC's reboot.

Pick up the trade of Batman: A Court of Owls vol 1. Its the first volume of the current batman story and it's easy to follow.

Batman: Year One, followed by The Long Halloween. Dark Victory if you liked The Long Halloween.

You'll also get a lot of Killing Joke and The Dark Knight Returns recommendations.

Thank you all for the helpful recommendations. I'll get started on those.

Vyer

Hellfire Saga and Trinity War are both so enjoyable right now. The art in WatXM was sharp this month (well it usually is every month).

And lol @ (JLoA):
Luthor's "Do you people even hear what you sound like?"

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Girlfriend texted me and told me that we will be going to an Infinity launch party tonight at a local comic shop. Hoping the Infinity series is well worth the use of Thanos. I always expect great stories out of his character.

Dat Thor tho

"And for one moment that stretched across time... every god in all the universe closed their eyes... and prayed to Thor."

Often these HUGE EPIC MOMENTS they end these big stories get bogged down with purple prose or just ring false, trying to hammer home the drama...this is one of the rare times it just works wonderfully. Powerful but understated. Aaron's narration/characterization is practically flawless throughout, and Ribic/Svoricina are doing the Lords work right now.

If you missed out on this Thor: God of Thunder story, make sure you get the oversized hardcover when it comes out. Shit is fire.

Vyer

Dat Thor tho

"And for one moment that stretched across time... every god in all the universe closed their eyes... and prayed to Thor."

Often these HUGE EPIC MOMENTS they end these big stories get bogged down with purple prose or just ring false, trying to hammer home the drama...this is one of the rare times it just works wonderfully. Powerful but understated. Aaron's narration/characterization is practically flawless throughout, and Ribic/Svoricina are doing the Lords work right now.

If you missed out on this Thor: God of Thunder story, make sure you get the oversized hardcover when it comes out. Shit is fire.

Yeah, that was a great moment.

I plan on getting both Thor and Cap's current storylines in either trade or hardcover form when released. Good stuff.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
DAMN that new Batman, good stuff.

Uncanny X-Force was pretty good this month as well.

Still need to dig into:
Deadpool
Saga
East/West
Mind The Gap
Infinity
The Walking Dead

had a convo with my comic guy and he's telling me that DC titles have been getting the axe across the board with his regulars. Now I don't feel so bad.

Messi

DAMN that new Batman, good stuff.

Uncanny X-Force was pretty good this month as well.

Still need to dig into:
Deadpool
Saga
East/West
Mind The Gap
Infinity
The Walking Dead

had a convo with my comic guy and he's telling me that DC titles have been getting the axe across the board with his regulars. Now I don't feel so bad.

You need to read Saga.

Yeah, it feels like the 3.99 price point going to become unavoidable soon.

Yeah, but the further they go in this direction, the more appealing they make trade-waiting. They're going to hit that ceiling with their readers sooner or later. Except for the impatient ones.

Vertigo books aside, the only DC stuff I read right now is Wonder Woman, Batwoman, Batgirl and Batman.

...And Pandora, as long as it stays entertaining.

Yeah, but the further they go in this direction, the more appealing they make trade-waiting. They're going to hit that ceiling with their readers sooner or later. Except for the impatient ones.

Vertigo books aside, the only DC stuff I read right now is Wonder Woman, Batwoman, Batgirl and Batman.

...And Pandora, as long as it stays entertaining.
You gonna check out any of the new Vertigo stuff brah? Mega pumped for what all the companies have comingout this fall.

You gonna check out any of the new Vertigo stuff brah? Mega pumped for what all the companies have coming out this fall.

Well, right now I'm reading The Wake, Brother Lono, Astro City, Unwritten, Trillium, and waiting for the return of American Vamp.

I didn't really look too hard at the fall Vertigo solicits yet. Anything seem particularly good?

daaaaaaaaaaaaaang Harbinger #15 whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!?!

I mean man... maaaaannnnn~~

It was such a feel good issue, then that last page. I know they teased Faith dying a while back when she took that fall, but Torque looked pretty dead there at the end (I hope not). This series is toying with my emotions!

Acid08

Banned
CBR FB said:
Are you looking forward to Karl Kesel and Lee Allred taking over the titles or do you wish Marvel had brought on a superstar writer to script the adventures of Marvel's First Family?

SUPERSTAR WRITERS!!!!!!

Well, right now I'm reading The Wake, Brother Lono, Astro City, Unwritten, Trillium, and waiting for the return of American Vamp.

I didn't really look too hard at the fall Vertigo solicits yet. Anything seem particularly good?
Im most looking forward to Hinterkind, The Dsicipline, Deadboy Detectives and the salem witch one. For Image my most anticpated is Black Science.
SUPERSTAR WRITERS!!!!!!
They still exist!!!

I think Im going to start spamming Image with submissions. Ive had enough.

Im most looking forward to Hinterkind, The Dsicipline, Deadboy Detectives and the salem witch one. For Image my most anticpated is Black Science.

I'll have to take another look through the solicits. The thing I like about Image is that they take chances on some real oddball ideas. And big-name creators seem to be flocking there, presumably because of the creator-owned aspect.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

They still exist!!!

I think Im going to start spamming Image with submissions. Ive had enough.

Pull a Hickman. Find a way to get around your (probable) lack of artistic ability and draw your own book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom