• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ephemeris

Batman #23

LtNDbKz.png

I have a New 52 Batman question - I want to start reading it. Can I start from #1 and follow it through to the current issue without buying any other titles, or does it require me to read other comics to follow the narrative?

I have a New 52 Batman question - I want to start reading it. Can I start from #1 and follow it through to the current issue without buying any other titles, or does it require me to read other comics to follow the narrative?
Nah brah. Just read it.

Anyone else going to buy Sandman Overture special edition? Its supposed to come with special paper that makes word bubbles translucent, witch should be mandatory in every Bendis comic.

Owzers

So far the main title has set the stage and other batbooks have grabbed the event coattails for tie-in issues. I've only been reading batman, the only things you miss out on are sideplots during Death of the Family event and some court of owls shenanigans. The heart of the story arcs are told purely through Batman though.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Holy fuckballs. Does anybody know if Wimberly is working on any personal books? Prince of Cats is dope as fuck but I haven't read anything of his since.

Blader

I really liked Infinity #1. Promising start to what could be a good Marvel event (is such a thing possible?!). Between this, New Avengers, and FF, I can now safely conclude that the main Avengers book being so dull and uneventful is entirely because of Spencer.

Saga was great, nice to read this book again. Thor concluded its Godbomb story wonderfully. Thought Batman was just kind of eh though.

Anybody else read Astro City 3? I have no clue where this going to go. Seems like the first one has had nothing todo with the last 2. The writing and the art has been good just seems like there is no direction.

Anybody else read Astro City 3? I have no clue where this going to go. Seems like the first one has had nothing todo with the last 2. The writing and the art has been good just seems like there is no direction.

That's how Astro City works. Unless it explicitly says To Be Continued, it's a stand alone story. If it says "You are now leaving Astro City", that's it.

There's a connected continuity and mythology in the background, but that's not the main story.

EDIT:

MARVEL NOVEMBER SOLICITS!!
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=47327
MARVEL IS BACK WITH ANOTHER MADCAP MONTH OF MERRY MAYHEM IN THE MIGHTY MARVEL MANNER!!

EDIT EDIT:

AVENGERS ARENA SERIES FINALE
#HASHTAGFUCKTHISEARTH

That's how Astro City works. Unless it explicitly says To Be Continued, it's a stand alone story. If it says "You are now leaving Astro City", that's it.

There's a connected continuity and mythology in the background, but that's not the main story.

Yeah, I haven't read #3 yet, but knowing about this different way of doing things adds intrigue to the series. If I hadn't been told about it, I would have dropped the book after issue one thinking it was all about this dad dude and the door. And then I would have missed issue two, which I loved. But I think they'd be wise to maybe include some kind of hint as to the series style in the opening pages, assuming they want new readers.

clockpunk

I have to say, I had my doubts about both Scarlet Spider and Superior Spider-Man, but they are my top two reads at the moment. The team-up was just... brilliant.

Thank you! Knowing that, it will be much more enjoyable. Like I said, it does have quality writing and art.

Thank you! Knowing that, it will be much more enjoyable. Like I said, it does have quality writing and art.

It's definitely worth seeking out the rest of the series. He takes the same approach throughout, and he's fleshed out a really deep mythology, all told from a ground level viewpoint. Like Marvels but longer and with weirder shit.

Archer and Armstrong #12 was a cool read.
So many things teased, like Archer meeting the Harbingers and/or Bloodshot. Found it hilarious when Armstrong accidently killed that alien.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Just how long are they going to drag Superior out? Dude is so one note its tedious as all hell, and now they're even resorting to characters like Stunner coming back from the 90's and when Dr Octopus had reformed and become a good guy, thus not matching up with current era at all. Its also absolutely retarded Kaine couldn't pick up on Peter not being Peter, and we'll get that experience over and over while Carlie Cooper sits on her thesis for another calendar year. Pete is going to come back and have to move away and start a new life under the sheer crushing realisation that nobody really gives a shit about him and his personality to not notice.

Bleh. 2099 crossover will be good for the art at least.

Dysun

You might not like Superior, but I consider it a breath of fresh air. It's one of my favorite books, Spock bending Jonah over, Spidey 2099, Goblin, and the upcoming Sinister Six in Team Up have me plenty excited to see what's next

You might not like Superior, but I consider it a breath of fresh air. It's one of my favorite books, Spock bending Jonah over, Spidey 2099, Goblin, and the upcoming Sinister Six in Team Up have me plenty excited to see what's next

I agree. Loving everything Superior right now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Honestly the annual solicit's got me a bit worried. It'll be funny to see everyone's reaction to Spidey rolling with the Sinister Six from now on.

I mean, the concept is kind of refreshing, but it comes at the cost of pretty much everyone not recognizing their friend has dramatically changed. Everyone who has been the closest to him - friends, family... people who are supposed to understand him on a deep level. And that is the dumbest part of the story. I mean, they could at least have the people who can't do anything about it get it. Like Kaine. Kaine would be like "ah, they wouldn't trust me." Instead, pretty much everyone is brain-dead to a degree that anyone would get suspicious in comics. Peter fucked up when he switched bodies "the Avengers wouldn't believe this! Body switching? How crazy!"

It would be nice to see the concept in a smarter way. Like in that issue of Avenging Spider-Man where they wanted to do a mental scan, but Ock guilted them out of it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I mean, the concept is kind of refreshing, but it comes at the cost of pretty much everyone not recognizing their friend has dramatically changed. Everyone who has been the closest to him - friends, family... people who are supposed to understand him on a deep level. And that is the dumbest part of the story. I mean, they could at least have the people who can't do anything about it get it. Like Kaine. Kaine would be like "ah, they wouldn't trust me." Instead, pretty much everyone is brain-dead to a degree that anyone would get suspicious in comics. Peter fucked up when he switched bodies "the Avengers wouldn't believe this! Body switching? How crazy!"

It would be nice to see the concept in a smarter way. Like in that issue of Avenging Spider-Man where they wanted to do a mental scan, but Ock guilted them out of it.

That wasn't in Avenging, that was in the main-line Superior title. I think I'd take your complaints to heart more if we didn't have Carlie onto Ock already and looking for proof or if MJ didn't pop up every so often thinking Peter's been acting odd. Your complaint is essentially addressed every other issue since #2.

Dysun

I haven't kept up with Scarlet Spider, but I assume they had some kind of run-in for you guys to mention Kaine. In Superior and Avenging (previously) they have done a good job of sewing doubt in MJ and Carlie is all but convinced since issue #3.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I haven't kept up with Scarlet Spider, but I assume they had some kind of run-in for you guys to mention Kaine. In Superior and Avenging (previously) they have done a good job of sewing doubt in MJ and Carlie is all but convinced since issue #3.

Yost had them team up in Scarlet Spider and Superior Team-up.

At this point all Carlie needs is proof.

Man Avengers AI is fuckin' boss.

Meanwhile, in Uncanny X-Force, Psylocke said "THIS IS OUR CLUBHOUSE -- NO BUSTERS ALLOWED" and Ramon Perez drew it.

So

YEAH

gonna keep reading Uncanny X-Force I think

That wasn't in Avenging, that was in the main-line Superior title. I think I'd take your complaints to heart more if we didn't have Carlie onto Ock already and looking for proof or if MJ didn't pop up every so often thinking Peter's been acting odd. Your complaint is essentially addressed every other issue since #2.

No - it was Avenging. "The die is cast!" You're talking about the Avengers fiasco.

Carlie had to be told and then took so long to figure it out, and everyone like "huh, that's odd" isn't "that's not Peter." Fisk was the only one who said it outright "That's not the Spider-Man I know." Even if he doesn't mean it literally. MJ and Aunt May should know.

Blader

No - it was Avenging. "The die is cast!" You're talking about the Avengers fiasco.

Carlie had to be told and then took so long to figure it out, and everyone like "huh, that's odd" isn't "that's not Peter." Fisk was the only one who said it outright "That's not the Spider-Man I know." Even if he doesn't mean it literally. MJ and Aunt May should know.

It would be more convincing if Slott wasn't so terrible with dialogue. I think the characterization is handled a hell of a lot better in Avenging/Team-Up.

kswiston

So it looks like the Ultimate Ongoings are all cancelled and replaced with Cataclysm minis in November. Bleeding Cool also pointed out the Mighty Avengers solicit:

MIGHTY AVENGERS #3
AL EWING (W) • GREG LAND (A/C)
Variant Cover by RON WIMBERLY
INFINITY TIE-IN!
The Blue Marvel joins the fight – and the Ebony Maw makes his move!
A plague of demons is raging through Manhattan, and the only Avenger who can defeat them is… Spider Hero? What?
Seriously, who is that guy?
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Looking very likely that the Ultimate Universe is about to be shuttered. It also seems plausible that Miles will end up in 616, possibly on Might Avengers.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So it looks like the Ultimate Ongoings are all cancelled and replaced with Cataclysm minis in November. Bleeding Cool also pointed out the Mighty Avengers solicit:

Looking very likely that the Ultimate Universe is about to be shuttered. It also seems plausible that Miles will end up in 616, possibly on Might Avengers.

Didn't the solicit for Ultimate Spidey straight up say he was coming over?

kswiston

Didn't the solicit for Ultimate Spidey straight up say he was coming over?

I missed it the first time, but ya, it looks like it says that in the solicit for The Ultimates Last Stand #2.

CATACLYSM: THE ULTIMATES LAST STAND #2 (of 5)
BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (W) • MARK BAGLEY (A)
Cover by MARK BAGLEY
Variant Cover by TBA
• The ULTIMATES discover where GALACTUS has come from
• If they send the WORLD DESTROYER back to where he came from all that will do is create more destruction and havoc!
• MILES MORALES is headed to the Marvel Universe
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

I wonder how long he will last. Derivative characters created after 1980 typically don't have the best survival rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom