• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say, what is with that terrible new Iron Man costume in Infinity?

Looks like hot garbage.

It's what happens when you let Greg Land debut new armor.

Actually I can see why every Iron Man writer has a need to release a new armor that can define their run on the character. I consider the Extremis armor the default armor though.

Infinity #2 Preview

qzR1xKx.jpg
EIxOwbM.jpg

Namor on his knees is hilarious

I wonder if Infinity #2 has the same amount of pages as Infinity #1
Oh my jesus. That looks incredible. I'm happy Opena will be doing Infinity #2-5.

Infinity #6 will be oversized again. With 56pages.

JJD

Read the first volume of Whedon's X-men, and the quality difference between that and 80's X-men is so vast. I fell in love with Astonishing X-men, and I cannot wait to read more of it.

Yeah, it's vast. No matter how good Whedon's X-men is, it still can touch the classic 80's (and late 70's too!) X-men Claremont run.

kswiston

he gets a bit lazy with that heal factor.

Sure, he heals up, but the dude gets knocked out in the first 5 minutes of every other fight he gets into. Uncanny X-Force/Uncanny Avengers is basically a creative exercise in finding new ways for Wolverine to be taken out of the fight.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
For supposedly being the one of the top martial artists in the Marvel Universe, Wolverine sure sucks at avoiding injuries.

It's not just that he sucks at fighting.
They'll do shit like have a bunch of people without enhanced durability stand around him and be basically unscratched by an explosion or whatever, and have his skin burned off.

JJD

For supposedly being the one of the top martial artists in the Marvel Universe, Wolverine sure sucks at avoiding injuries.

No one writes Wolverine like that anymore, even good writers like Aaron or Cornell. He's just a meat tank now, no one even remembers his heightened senses outside of smelling.

This week issue of Wolverine just proves it when
the Panther says to Wolverine that his fighting style is based on his ability to take damage.
It wasn't always like this. Logan could go toe to toe with the worlds best and most lethal fighters even without his claws, and he was supposed to be a tactical genius.

Old school Wolvie was awesome because he knew how to fight without just throwing himself over bullets and swords. Current Wolvie is just a dumb punching bag.

No one writes Wolverine like that anymore, even good writers like Aaron or Cornell. He's just a meat tank now, no one even remembers his heightened senses outside of smelling.

the Panther says to Wolverine that his fighting style is based on his ability to take damage.
It wasn't always like this. Logan could go toe to toe with the worlds best and most lethal fighters even without his claws, and he was supposed to be a tactical genius.

Old school Wolvie was awesome because he knew how to fight without just throwing himself over bullets and swords. Current Wolvie is just a dumb punching bag.
Any good Wolverine runs? That sounds amazing to be honest.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

No.
They SAID he was skilled. They SAID that he was a tactical genius. But he's always taken lots of damage even against C-tier villains.

Dude has a 300 pound metal skeleton, makes sense he wouldn't be jumping around like Black Panther or Spidey.

TAJ

Dude has a 300 pound metal skeleton, makes sense he wouldn't be jumping around like Black Panther or Spidey.

Bullseye did fine. And they have shown Wolverine jumping around like Spidey.
Going by results, he's easily the least skilled fighter. Scott and a lot of the others wouldn't have lasted one issue if they took abuse like him.

kswiston

No.
They SAID he was skilled. They SAID that he was a tactical genius. But he's always taken lots of damage even against C-tier villains.

He used to be better at avoiding major injuries because his heart being punctured or his throat being slit used to be a bigger deal. Now that stuff heals in 5 mins.

I doubt current Marvel writers are even aware of the 300 lb skeleton (actually, I think the metal itself was closer to 100 lbs).

His healing factor gets increasingly more and more ridiculous, especially as writers stopped worried about comic code. So now the mothafucka can get blown up, half his skin gone, stabbed through the heart, walk into the sun, have an atom bomb drop on him, etc

TAJ

He used to be better at avoiding major injuries because his heart being punctured or his throat being slit used to be a bigger deal. Now that stuff heals in 5 mins.

There are enemies that haven't even landed a blow on any other X-Men who have teed off on him. Like that loser Harpoon. Wolvie got hit dead center on the first try.
He suuuuuuucks.

"Jubilee's all enthusiasm and talent, making her moves on pure instinct (with no idea really what she's doing) and praying they're the right ones. Wolverine's the natural brawler (aided by bones that can't be broken and adamantium claws that'll cut through anything), fighting as integral a part of his being as breathing. But where his skills are raw and rough-edged, as fierce as his nature... Psylocke is the personification of power and grace. Literal poetry in motion -- where he's more a berserk battering ram -- but no less effective."

-Chris Claremont

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Well he is loosing his healing factor Ina few months anyway

Though they do like to put him three the tinge anyway

He already lost it, in a rather throwaway story. We'll see how long it lasts.

TAJ

He lost his healing factor in the '80s, but he was only fighting humans, and mostly sneaking around.

Then again, not long after that regular humans beat him so badly that they gave him a funeral... WITH his healing factor.

He lost his healing factor in the '80s, but he was only fighting humans, and mostly sneaking around.
He lost it in the 90s too, and went on a "farewell tour" of settling old debts.

EDIT: It was after Magneto pulled the adamantium from his body; his healing factor burned itself out just keeping him from dying, and nobody knew if it was going to come back, least of all Logan. So, because he had become a liability to the team and because he didn't want them to see him die, he decided to quit the X-Men; he wrote them a bunch of farewell letters, like the one to Jean telling her to marry Scott and the one to Xavier to "lighten up," and made off in the night as Jubilee looked on from her bedroom window. He spent time revisiting some of his old haunts and catching up with people he owed something to or just wanted to see one last time. He even ran into a few of his old enemies like Lady Deathstrike, which led to an interesting momen where she realized the admantium in him was gone and her entire reason for becoming what she was had ruined her life. There was this real sense that maybe this was the end, that the character was done and he was the wounded dog looking for a familiar place to lay down and die... he wasn't done, of course. Duh. His healing factor came back with a vengeance without the adamantium to slow it down, and then he went "feral beastman in a Ninja Turtles mask" for a while.

But for a while there, it was (to this 90s X-Men fan) great storytelling.

TAJ

He lost it very briefly in X-men #98 to 99 too.

The other one I mentioned was Uncanny X-Men #236-238.

Just going to say that Batman, Batgirl, and Justice League of America were all fucking awesome this week. World's Finest and Constantine were pretty good too. The artwork in Demon Knights was some of the worst the series has seen, and the whole package (story/artwork) just felt like a rushed oh shit it's canceled finish it in a day. That series deserved a better send off, fuckers. Superboy was alright, least the artwork wasn't as bad as Demon Knights, or Superboy last month. GLC was boring as fuck, Jon Stewart is boring as fuck. Time to finish the week with Nightwing, and Swamp Thing from last week.

Just going to say that Batman, Batgirl, and Justice League of America were all fucking awesome this week. World's Finest and Constantine were pretty good too. The artwork in Demon Knights was some of the worst the series has seen, and the whole package (story/artwork) just felt like a rushed oh shit it's canceled finish it in a day. That series deserved a better send off, fuckers. Superboy was alright, least the artwork wasn't as bad as Demon Knights, or Superboy last month. GLC was boring as fuck, Jon Stewart is boring as fuck. Time to finish the week with Nightwing, and Swamp Thing from last week.

I've been enjoying GLC, especially since it's had Durlans and Khunds. I appreciate when cosmic DC acknowledges that the races in the Legion era would have existed in present times. We also saw Dominators in RHATO, on top of that.

I think this current setup has potential. It's jumping around a bit, but some of the characters have a charm that is growing on me.

TAJ

He lost it in the 90s too, and went on a "farewell tour" of settling old debts.

EDIT: It was after Magneto pulled the adamantium from his body; his healing factor burned itself out just keeping him from dying, and nobody knew if it was going to come back, least of all Logan. So, because he had become a liability to the team and because he didn't want them to see him die, he decided to quit the X-Men; he wrote them a bunch of farewell letters, like the one to Jean telling her to marry Scott and the one to Xavier to "lighten up," and made off in the night as Jubilee looked on from her bedroom window. He spent time revisiting some of his old haunts and catching up with people he owed something to or just wanted to see one last time. He even ran into a few of his old enemies like Lady Deathstrike, which led to an interesting momen where she realized the admantium in him was gone and her entire reason for becoming what she was had ruined her life. There was this real sense that maybe this was the end, that the character was done and he was the wounded dog looking for a familiar place to lay down and die... he wasn't done, of course. Duh. His healing factor came back with a vengeance without the adamantium to slow it down, and then he went "feral beastman in a Ninja Turtles mask" for a while.

But for a while there, it was (to this 90s X-Men fan) great storytelling.

That was after I took a break, but I heard about it and saw the scans, and of course saw bone claw Wolverine in MvC2. I think Larry Hama wrote ninja turtle Wolvie?

That was after I took a break, but I heard about it and saw the scans, and of course saw bone claw Wolverine in MvC2. I think Larry Hama wrote ninja turtle Wolvie?
He did; Larry wrote Wolverine for over eighty issues in the early 90s, and had one helluva run.

That's why everyone should be reading Scarlet Spider:

Jeut997.jpg

Larfleeze is the only lantern book I care about right now. Maybe the one with Rayner since that story will actually get good at some point (hopefully) probably.

Savitar

Larfleeze is the only lantern book I care about right now. Maybe the one with Rayner since that story will actually get good at some point (hopefully) probably.

Weren't they sending Rayner into some other universe or what not? Someone mentioned that but no idea if it's true.

Still amazed DC hasn't gone through some method to kill him off if not banish him, unless this is it.

TheWraith

Zero Year is better then I initially feared, but man did Capullo's art take a hit with Glapion leaving. Miki is clearly not up to doing Capullo's pencils justice. Anyone know if Glapion's returning anytime soon?

Nudull

Banned
My trade haul from the LCS, earlier today:

Shazam: The Monster Society of Evil
Wonder Woman: The Circle
Batgirl/Robin: Year One
Marvel - Girl Comics
Womanthology: Space
Adventure Time: vol. 1 mathematical edition

How'd I do?

ReiGun

Marvel - Girl Comics
Adventure Time: vol. 1 mathmatical edition

How'd I do?

The Circle is the only thing there that I've read and I love it.

Let me know how Shazam, Womanthology, and the Year One stuff is.

I've been enjoying GLC, especially since it's had Durlans and Khunds. I appreciate when cosmic DC acknowledges that the races in the Legion era would have existed in present times. We also saw Dominators in RHATO, on top of that.

I think this current setup has potential. It's jumping around a bit, but some of the characters have a charm that is growing on me.

They've just made Jon such a BOOORRRIIINNNNGGGGG character. They've taken away anything remotely interesting about him and made him a snooze fest. Like others said at least Guy can carry a book, Jon can't. I dropped Larfleeze after 2 issues, so out of all the other GL books GLC is at the bottom for me. I guess Threshold might count as a lantern book, dropped that after 2 issues as well.

GLC was so much better when Guy was a part of the book.

Tizoc

None. That was his last. Next is Kindt, unless maybe DC pull their head out of their asses once this Forever Evil nonsense is over and give it back to the one guy who made it excellent.

Ugh I hope so...will see how the next issues/stories turn out first before deciding to drop it or not.

Acid08

Banned

Marvel - Girl Comics
Adventure Time: vol. 1 mathematical edition

How'd I do?
Batgirl/Robin Year One is great stuff. The AT comic is really great for fans if the show too.

Just saw the cover for Nova #10, which btw is Nova's 100th issue, and i just don't know what to say.

To be honest, at this point i think they're just trolling us, long time Nova fans.
:(

Read the first volume of Whedon's X-men, and the quality difference between that and 80's X-men is so vast. I fell in love with Astonishing X-men, and I cannot wait to read more of it.

Yes, it is a vast difference in quality. Whedon is ass and Claremont's 80's X-Men are the greatest comics ever written.

That reminds me. Time for my monthly plug of the GREATEST SINGLE ISSUE EVER.

Uncanny X-Men 186: Lifedeath - A Love Story
Chris Claremont & Barry Windsor-Smith
Starring: Storm & Forge (plus Rogue and the brood)

uncanny186.jpg

Available in the Lifedeath HC! Probably still in print. Get it now!

Well, Soule got the unthankful job of resolving Way's leftover plots. As soon as he finishes that, I'm sure he'll get into his Swamp Thing form.
Daniel Way is an awful awful writer. I dont know how brqhs like that get into the industry.

DMZ is going hardcover in November!

arkon

More than Meets the Eye is like a long lost child of Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League International.

300px-MTMTE1_cvrE.jpg

I love this comic

Yeah. It's great. And it goes from strength to strength. Hardly a bad issue in the bunch. Plus it's worth every penny because it's such a dense read.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Is it normal for me to have a hard time recognizing characters in More Than Meets The Eye at first? I've never really been a Transformers fan until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom