• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Vinland Saga brah. Incredible US release. Support the mangaka!

Nah brah. He has to do what is prmoised to us. Though it would be exciting to see a comics superstar elevate THAT character...
We should find out soon though. Solicits were held back, so some bombs will be dropped soon...

My Vinland Saga copy took forever to arrive. I haven't started reading it yet.

We read a lot at bed time and I'll see she is reading it and every time she looks lost after she puts it down.

That's normal. No one who reads that book knows what the fucking fuck is going on. It's a Nick Spencer book, so it's going to be a slooooow burn. But it's a fun ride, and the art is great. It'll all make sense one day.

Batman #26 was its usual quality. This one did not really advance the story but more filled holes in the timeline. You get to see what Bruce did during the day of his parents death. You get to see how him and Gordon first met. The real star of the show this issue was those colors!

Batgirl #26 back to the Wanted storyline. Good ending to the arc. The only thing that's getting in my nerves with Simone's Batgirl is her internal monologue during fight scenes. I like it everywhere else but not there. I imagine fight scenes to be all on reaction but Batgirl is thinking way too much. I'm for the line, "thinking will get you killed on the battlefield".

tim1138

Justice League 3000 was good, pretty much what I expected from Giffen/DeMatteis. Two things that stood out: Howard Porter's art is way better than I remember it being and holy
Great Disaster
mention Batman! Bring on
Kamandi and make the Kirbyverse canon!

I'm so sick of seeing Mark Millar get all my favorite artists. First Quitely, now Parlov.

1386781973901.jpg

I'm sure the pitch for this one was "Buck Rogers, but with rape"

Justice League #25 was AWESOME! What a great Owlman story and you get to see whats going on with Nightwing.

Owlman wants Nightwing to help him take down the Crime Syndicate. He does not like Ultramans plan for Earth.

Justice League #25 was AWESOME! What a great Owlman story and you get to see whats going on with Nightwing.

Owlman wants Nightwing to help him take down the Crime Syndicate. He does not like Ultramans plan for Earth.

Oh snap. That is pretty interesting. Can't wait to get a'hold of my pull today.

DC on fire this week. JLA #10 was fantastic. Kindt is an amazing writer for Stargirl and Manhunter. Their journey to rescue the heroes continues.

Peeking in the room? No one new, it was Superwoman

I was referring to
Eel O'Brian/plastic Man in Owl man's raid.

Thats a new character to me of course. What I enjoy since I'm newish to comics is they are doing great job at introducing characters but also tying in their origins. It was fun seeing Stargirls story this week.

frye

Its hard for these artists to resist owning a piece of a millarworld book. Royalties must be insane.

Yeah, but not only that -- where else are some of these guys gonna get comics work, right? Quitely might be able to, but who's gonna hire Dave Gibbons to draw anything these days? What's Duncan Fegredo doing when Mignola is drawing the main Hellboy book?

Hopefully Parlov is still doing his Punisher book with Ennis next year and this is just a supplement.

That said, based on this picture it's Parlov doing Moebius which is gonna own:::

tim1138

CBR has a giant high res version of the Futures End teaser image and you can make out more of the Brother Eye-ized characters. I see Supes, Flash, WW, Bats, Catwoman, Hawkman, Simon Baz GL, and Cyborg. There's a silhouette with a mohawk that I'm guessing is the original OMAC, and one that has no identifiable features.

tim1138

I know he won't buy it, but there was a panel near the end of JL3K that I think Spike would enjoy.

WW saying all Bruce needs is a night in her bed to be ready for anything

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Owzers

How'd Jupiter's Legacy turn out? I haven't heard much about it lately, i ended up dropping it after the second issue.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Did Kick Ass really make that much money?

Speaking of Kick Ass, did people generally like that movie? I watched it a few years back and it wasn't a serious superhero/action movie (AKA it didn't have a very good plot or good action or anything) but it also wasn't funny. I just didn't get it at all. To be fair, that was before I got into comics, so I may have missed something, but yeah, was the general consensus that it was a bad movie or was it just me?

Owzers

Speaking of Kick Ass, did people generally like that movie? I watched it a few years back and it wasn't a serious superhero/action movie (AKA it didn't have a very good plot or good action or anything) but it also wasn't funny. I just didn't get it at all. To be fair, that was before I got into comics, so I may have missed something, but yeah, was the general consensus that it was a bad movie or was it just me?

mediocre but with a decent Nicholas Cage...at least compared to his usual roles.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
mediocre but with a decent Nicholas Cage...at least compared to his usual roles.

Oh man, that reminds me, Ghost Rider was on TV the other night and I watched about 5 minutes of it... Now THAT'S a bad superhero movie.

Anyways, back to the topic of actual comics, I started reading the first run of Moon Knight (Doug Moench) today and I'm really enjoying it so far. There's something about those older comics with their total lack of subtlety in the dialogue and fairly straightforward plots that I find pretty charming as a change of pace.

I hated that movie so much. For a good normal-person-becomes-a-superhero movie, people need to see Super. That is a genuinely interesting, funny, surprising and well-done flick.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I had no idea. I tend to ignore pretty much everything with Miller's name on it, so I wasn't really conscious of its success.

The amount of talented artists he ropes in to write his vapid horseshit is impressive, though. It's shocking to see Quitely go from Morrison to Millar, from Multiversity (which I assume he's been at least thinking about for a while) to Jupiter's Legacy.

tim1138

The amount of talented artists he ropes in to write his vapid horseshit is impressive, though. It's shocking to see Quitely go from Morrison to Millar, from Multiversity (which I assume he's been at least thinking about for a while) to Jupiter's Legacy.

Gotta pay the bills somehow I suppose. My hatred for Millar will forever trump any love I have for whoever he buys to draw Rapeworld 2000.

Nemsis was about as dumb as I expected it to be.

But yea it's crazy how the quality of his writing has dropped do much . Millar was my favorite writer for a while

Where did the guy who wrote old man longan gooooo?

Thai

Bane was better.
Nemsis was about as dumb as I expected it to be.

But yea it's crazy how the quality of his writing has dropped do much . Millar was my favorite writer for a while

Where did the guy who wrote old man longan gooooo?

He left before Old Man Logan. Ultimates 1 was his last great work, imo. Civil War and Old Man Logan were both hot garbage in terms of characterization.

The x-men let wolverine kill them? Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom