• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Speaking of Killjoy, the dark horse solicits are out with its trade.

The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys TP and Ltd. Ed. HC

Gerard Way (W), Shaun Simon (W), Becky Cloonan (A/Cover), and Dan Jackson (C)

On sale May 7
FC, 160 pages
$19.99
TP, 7” x 10”

On sale May 7
FC, 232 pages
$79.99
Ltd. Ed. HC, 8” x 12 3/16”

Years ago, the Killjoys fought against the tyrannical megacorporation Better Living Industries, costing them their lives, save for one—the mysterious Girl. Today, the followers of the original Killjoys languish in the Desert while BLI systematically strips citizens of their individuality. As the fight for freedom fades, it’s left to the Girl to take up the mantle and bring down the fearsome BLI!Collects The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys#1–#6 and “Dead Satellites” from Free Comic Book Day 2013.

• From Gerard Way, creator of the Eisner Award–winning The Umbrella Academy!
• Hardcover limited to 2,500copies!
• Hardcover includes an extensive sketchbook with artwork from Becky Cloonan, Gabriel Bá, Paul Pope, Gerard Way, Fábio Moon, Rafael Grampá, and Brian Ewing

XP

So over winter break, I'm going to pick a few series and try getting into comics. I love superhero movies, but I want more than they can give me at this point. A couple questions though.

I definitely want to read Wonder Woman, but on amazon I see the new 52 books and something called Wonder Woman:Odyssey. Which one of these should I read if I have no knowledge of the character. Can I get both?

What series should I pick up for Spider-Man? He's always been a favorite of mine.

What's the best Marvel series that I can get into pretty easily?

And finally, just any recommendations with interesting, well-written female characters would be great.

Any and all responses are much appreciated!

Owzers

Dont' get both wonder woman books, definitely go for the new 52 one by Azzarello. JMS' Odyssey wasn't very good and the book starts over with new 52 one anyways.

Someone please buy the $80 edition of the Killjoys trade so I can laugh at you.

I say this as someone who bought both of the Umbrella Academy deluxe editions. They're gorgeous books. Taller than Absolute Editions.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Those new Dark Horse solicitations.

MIND MGMT Volume 3: The Home Maker HC
Matt Kindt (W/A)
On sale May 21
FC, 176 pages
$19.99
HC, 7” x 10”
With Meru and Lyme’s partnership destroyed, the players go their separate ways in a series of interconnected one-shots revealing each character’s hidden past! As the former team continue their investigations separately, the Eraser sets her sights on a valuable new recruit—Meru! Collects The Home Maker from MIND MGMT #13–#17 and The Zoo Keeper from #18.
• New York Times best-selling series!
• Foreword by Brian Michael Bendis (All-New X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy)!
• Includes special gatefold image.
• Optioned for the big screen by Ridley Scott!

I want it now!

And finally, just any recommendations with interesting, well-written female characters would be great.

This is something I'm always on the look out for, as well. The most well-written female comic books character that I've come across is Renee Montoya from Gotham Central. Gotham Central focuses on the Gotham City police force, and features an ensemble cast. It's highly regarded in general and Renee is one of its featured players. I would suggest starting with book one of the series.

Also from DC is Batwoman: Elegy. The New 52 Batwoman is ok (particularly the first trade) but Elegy is the true jewel.

Image comics recently released the first trade for Lazarus and it's only $10 for four issues worth of stories. It's written by the same dude who wrote Batwoman: Elegy and (parts of) Gotham Central, Greg Rucka. Dude knows how to write the ladies. I find the world of Lazarus to be interesting and I like the main character of Forever, but she has yet to really intrigue me the way that Renee and Kate Kane (Batwoman) do. I'm not sure why that is for certain, but it could be a characterization thing. Renee and Kate have an attitude, you could say, whereas Forever is thus far portrayed as a more straight forward good girl (who sometimes kills people and sometimes they're innocent. But the future is complicated, eh?)

Another series I'd consider looking into is Hack/Slash. The title character is a gothed up ass-kicker who kills monsters with a nail-embedded bat, to put it simply.

I would also recommend Rat Queens and Gail Simone's Red Sonja, but they have yet to be collected in trade and it sounds like that is the format you are looking for.

Whatever you decide I pick up, I hope you stop by the thread with to share your impressions.

Oh, also Gail Simone's Red Sonja #1 is free on Comixology today, y'all.

Gail Simone's current run of Red Sonja is really good. Yeah, it embraces it's chain mail bikini history, but that really doesn't hurt it. There is also an anthology called "Legends of Red Sonja" that is a 5 part miniseries that has various other writers coming in to do stories. A bonus; Gail has been getting female artists and writers onboard.

Batwoman, so long as you understand that there is an unfortunate schism around issue #24-25, has been good. Writing is solid, but the artwork has been gorgeous.

New 52 Wonder Woman has been great. There is also a Superman/Wonder Woman comic that is fairly new and surprisingly good.

Lastly, I'll recommend Manhunter by Marc Andreyko. It's a stellar series.

From Wikipedia: Kate Spencer is a federal prosecutor who grows increasingly tired of seeing guilty criminals evade punishment. Copperhead, a supervillain on trial for multiple murders and cannibalism, avoids a death sentence and escapes from custody after killing two guards. An angry Kate takes matters into her own hands, stealing equipment from an evidence room and killing Copperhead. Calling herself Manhunter, Kate blackmails a former weapons manufacturer for numerous villains named Dylan Battles — who is in the Witness Protection Program — into building, maintaining, and upgrading her armor, weapons, and gadgets. In addition to legal proceedings and fighting crime, Kate's life includes awkward relationships with her six-year-old son Ramsey and novelist ex-husband.

Edit: Beaten mercilessly by La Maquinon

Dan

This is something I'm always on the look out for, as well. The most well-written female comic books character that I've come across is Renee Montoya from Gotham Central. Gotham Central has focuses on the Gotham City police force, and features an ensemble cast. It's highly regarded in general and Renee is one of its featured players. I would suggest starting with book one of the series.

Also from DC is Batwoman: Elegy. The New 52 Batwoman is ok (particularly the first trade) but Elegy is the real jewel.

Image comics recently released the trade for Lazarus and it's only $10 for four issues worth of stories. It's written by the same dude who wrote Batwoman: Elegy and (parts of) Gotham Central, Greg Rucka. Dude knows how to write the ladies. I find the world of Lazarus to be interesting and I like the main character of Forever, but she has yet to really intrigue me the way that Renee and Kate Kane (Batwoman) do. I'm not sure why that is for certain, but it could be a characterization thing. Renee and Kate have an attitude, you could say, whereas Forever is thus far portrayed as a more straight forward good girl (who sometimes kills people and sometimes they're innocent. But the future is complicated, eh?)

I would add Queen & Country, which doesn't just swap male for female, but touches on some more unique complications her gender may introduce to her chosen profession. Rucka's actually writing a female character, not a male character with tits.

I need to read Whiteout eventually.

I Kill Giants is a great coming-of-age story with a young girl.

Mind MGMT has a female lead, and so far is fabulous.

I would add Queen & Country, which doesn't just swap male for female, but touches on some more unique complications her gender may introduce to her chosen profession. Rucka's actually writing a female character, not a male character with tits.

I need to read this. We should also probably mention Stumptown, also written by Rucka and distributed by Oni. I've heard great things about both of these series.

Dan

I need to read this. We should also probably mention Stumptown, also written by Rucka and distributed by Oni. I've heard great things about both of these series.

Oh yeah, first volume of Stumptown was good. I have the second but haven't gotten to it yet.

Cheska

Does anyone know why the heck the Super Best Friends Forever set is so expensive? I see it's on sale at Midtown comics but it's still almost $100 O_O

Splatt

What a trainwreck Walking Dead has become.

Latest issue was ridiculous, in a "super bad you're going to facepalm" way.

What a trainwreck Walking Dead has become.

Latest issue was ridiculous, in a "super bad you're going to facepalm" way.

Eh, it's not that bad. Negan is hilarious. Still, Invincible is the Kirkman book that deserves attention. New issue was great. I wish it came out on a regular schedule.

Splatt

Eh, it's not that bad. Negan is hilarious. Still, Invincible is the Kirkman book that deserves attention. New issue was great. I wish it came out on a regular schedule.

You believe in Rick Grimes?

I lost my shit at that part, real drama
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Jetman

So, I just saw a solicitation for the DC Futures Now stuff coming out and it mentioned that the setting is only 5 years in the future?
So are we supposed to believe that in 5 years time Terry McGuiness becomes Batman (Beyond), Bruce gets old and retires, technology makes huge leaps and bounds, etc. etc. Or is Terry supposed to be pulling some time traveling hijinks to come back to the near future?

Dan

So, I just saw a solicitation for the DC Futures Now stuff coming out and it mentioned that the setting is only 5 years in the future?
So are we supposed to believe that in 5 years time Terry McGuiness becomes Batman (Beyond), Bruce gets old and retires, technology makes huge leaps and bounds, etc. etc. Or is Terry supposed to be pulling some time traveling hijinks to come back to the near future?

Who knows. Maybe Brother Eye is involved in some rapid transformation of Earth. Maybe the future stuff will all be a lead up to the rumored mass 5 years jump that every book would take for the month of September, and it'll all be some alternate future that the heroes of the present have to work to prevent from happening.

I know he won't buy it, but there was a panel near the end of JL3K that I think Spike would enjoy.

WW saying all Bruce needs is a night in her bed to be ready for anything

Some elements of the first issue felt very tongue-in-cheek. Satirical perhaps, especially when it comes to
the characterization of the "Justice League" themselves. Superman is a dick, self-centered and unbearable; Batman loathes Superman's condescending attitude, and they're at each other's throats with an intensity I could easily see interpreted as "unresolved sexual tension" by certain groups; Wonder Woman is "Warrior Woman," obsessed with fighting and fighting AND FIGHTING (and fighting!); Barry's the cowardly worrywart, relying on a force-field ring to protect himself from his own powers and eager to flee from conflict; and Hal... Hal's a bit harder to get a read on this early, but I'm going with "kind of slow"? The way they all behaved, and more importantly misbehaved... it's almost as if Giffen was directed to take simplified criticisms leveled at depictions of the New52's League under Johns, and distort and exaggerate them to new heights before funneling them into this new League. That, or they're really clones of the Crime Syndicate. "Hmm," he said to no one in particular.
Which at this early stage, makes it kind of... intriguing? Plus by its very nature, this seems to be a self-contained series which can only work in its favor.

I'm willing to give the second issue a look.

As for that scene as pointed out by tim,
I'm afraid I'm going to need more of a commitment than that to be moved. Out of context, yes, it's the sort of thing one could cling to (her obvious disgust with Superman doesn't hurt cause, either). But within the context of the page, it could also be just seen as Wonder Woman being "Warrior" Woman, reinforcing how hard and tough she believes herself to be within the framework of the scene.
To put it another way, that hook needs more bait before I'll bite.

Now, lists. Here's what I picked up today.

Marvel Comics
Captain America #14
Wolverine and the X-Men #39

DC Comics
Justice League 3000 #1

Image Comics
Alex+Ada #2
Krampus! #1
Lazarus #5
Satellite Sam #5

Dark Horse Comics
Conan and the People of the Black Circle #3

IDW Publishing
Powerpuff Girls #4
Rocketeer/Spirit: Pulp Friction #4

Other Publishers
Day Men #2 (BOOM! Studios)

No Empowered Volume 08 this week; it seems Diamond was correct, and Adam and Dark Horse were wrong. Adam's tweets make it sound like he genuinely believed today was the day.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAT LAST PAGE SPOILER OF SUPERBOY.

Why you do this to me, DC?!

Jon Lane Kent, the "evil" Superboy, gets a history file on "Kon-el" i.e. the Clone Superboy. The computer says; "In 1,000 years, Kon-el will be instrumental in forming warrior-group known as the Legion of Super-Heroes. They will become the greatest peacekeeping force in history", with pictures of Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, Cosmic Boy, Starboy, and Bouncing Boy. THE DREAM IS ALIVE.

tim1138

Some elements of the first issue felt very tongue-in-cheek. Satirical perhaps, especially when it comes to
the characterization of the "Justice League" themselves. Superman is a dick, self-centered and unbearable; Batman loathes Superman's condescending attitude, and they're at each other's throats with an intensity I could easily see interpreted as "unresolved sexual tension" by certain groups; Wonder Woman is "Warrior Woman," obsessed with fighting and fighting AND FIGHTING (and fighting!); Barry's the cowardly worrywart, relying on a force-field ring to protect himself from his own powers and eager to flee from conflict; and Hal... Hal's a bit harder to get a read on this early, but I'm going with "kind of slow"? The way they all behaved, and more importantly misbehaved... it's almost as if Giffen was directed to take simplified criticisms leveled at depictions of the New52's League under Johns, and distort and exaggerate them to new heights before funneling them into this new League. That, or they're really clones of the Crime Syndicate. "Hmm," he said to no one in particular.
Which at this early stage, makes it kind of... intriguing? Plus by its very nature, this seems to be a self-contained series which can only work in its favor.

I'm willing to give the second issue a look.

As for that scene as pointed out by tim,
I'm afraid I'm going to need more of a commitment than that to be moved. Out of context, yes, it's the sort of thing one could cling to (her obvious disgust with Superman doesn't hurt cause, either). But within the context of the page, it could also be just seen as Wonder Woman being "Warrior" Woman, reinforcing how hard and tough she believes herself to be within the framework of the scene.
To put it another way, that hook needs more bait before I'll bite.

Now, lists. Here's what I picked up today.

Marvel Comics
Captain America #14
Wolverine and the X-Men #39

DC Comics
Justice League 3000 #1

Image Comics
Alex+Ada #2
Krampus! #1
Lazarus #5
Satellite Sam #5

Dark Horse Comics
Conan and the People of the Black Circle #3

IDW Publishing
Powerpuff Girls #4
Rocketeer/Spirit: Pulp Friction #4

Other Publishers
Day Men #2 (BOOM! Studios)

No Empowered Volume 08 this week; it seems Diamond was correct, and Adam and Dark Horse were wrong. Adam's tweets make it sound like he genuinely believed today was the day.

In regards to the lineage of the League in JL3k, I've had the same thought.

I need to read Whiteout eventually.

I Kill Giants is a great coming-of-age story with a young girl.

Mind MGMT has a female lead, and so far is fabulous.

Hey Whiteout was good and I liked Queen and Country a lot also.
good stuffs

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
You believe in Rick Grimes?

I lost my shit at that part, real drama
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Every once in a while I ask myself of I should go back to where I left off in kill em all kirkman books. And with the walking dead, it keeps giving me reasons not to.

So I picked up Drumheller #2 on a whim, after figuring I'd be dropping it. Got a kick out of this issue more than the first (which I did like). I don't fully get what's happening but it's less pull-your-hair-out-Pretty-Deadly-not getting-it and more heh-woah-far-out-alright-cool not getting it.

In other news I read The Victories #1 by Michael Avon Oeming and THAT. That there is a steaming pile.

vocab

Someone educate me on Image comics. I see a lot of brand new series that only have one or two tpb's. Aside from Saga, what's considered good? Is it too early to tell on some of these series?

Someone educate me on Image comics. I see a lot of brand new series that only have one or two tpb's. Aside from Saga, what's considered good? Is it too early to tell on some of these series?

I'll give you the rundown of my favorites... even stuff that isn't out in tpb form yet.

Saga
Lazarus
East of West
Velvet
Invincible
Sex Criminals
Rat Queens
Black Science

I'm at a point where the majority of my pull-list consists of Image stuff. Well-known creators have been flocking to Image lately.

Certified Awesome Image:

Lazarus - 1 trade in the pocket
Zero
East of West - 1 trade in the pocket
Rat Queens

To early to say but all signs point to awesome:

Velvet
A Voice in the Dark
Umbral

Also, I don't read Chew or Manhattan Projects but they are almost universally considered awesome by those who do.

Vibranium

Banned
Man, Invincible was great this week dudes, and if you read the letters section there was some interesting hints. A letter writer was thinking like me and told Sean and Kirkman he was interested regarding Robot's "slow" character development into
becoming more attracted to power and being a monarch
and Robert seemingly suggested we could see him becoming
a full-on villain/threat to Mark
faster than we think in an upcoming bunch of issues (whenever they get out...)

Also, anybody catch that Kirkman did exactly what Andrew J. Shaw (of all people!) suggested about 3 issues ago and introduced
Anissa as part of a love triangle this issue
haha? A lot of readers will get pissed (I don't care myself because it may push Mark into a direction part of his future suggested...) because Eve is awesome and doesn't deserve this crap but now he can just pin it on Shaw!

Also, anybody catch that Kirkman did exactly what Andrew J. Shaw (of all people!) suggested about 3 issues ago and introduced
Anissa as part of a love triangle this issue
haha? A lot of readers will get pissed (I don't care myself because it may push Mark into a direction part of his future suggested...) because Eve is awesome and doesn't deserve this crap but now he can just pin it on Shaw!

Loved Invincible this week. As to the
Anissa
thing, I've been a fan of the character since day one, so I'm glad to see
her finally getting a more important role in the story than simply being a third-tier supporting character
. Someone on the Image forums brought up the fact that
Anissa is probably going to outlive Eve anyhow, so she would make more sense as a mate. Plus Mark wouldn't need to protect her. The other possibility being that Anissa is the ambitious sort and realizes Mark is part of the royal bloodline
. So many possibilities. Can't wait to see where Kirkman goes with this.

Vibranium

Banned
Loved Invincible this week. As to the
Anissa
thing, I've been a fan of the character since day one, so I'm glad to see
her finally getting a more important role in the story than simply being a third-tier supporting character
. Someone on the Image forums brought up the fact that
Anissa is probably going to outlive Eve anyhow, so she would make more sense as a mate. Plus Mark wouldn't need to protect her. The other possibility being that Anissa is the ambitious sort and realizes Mark is part of the royal bloodline
. So many possibilities. Can't wait to see where Kirkman goes with this.

Yeah, the character opens up so many different pathways for Mark to take, and his high lifespan is certainly something that we're going to see play more and more into the story. We know that Eve won't live forever at least right now.

I'm so excited by the future of the series after this issue, it feels like the Zelda timeline with all the different ways Kirkman could run in haha.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Mighty Avengers was terrible. I'm bailing. At first, I put up with the art, but no more.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is he going to write using scripts from porn too?

If by write you mean copy and paste a porn script onto an Inhuman script page and just change the names, then yes. Yes he will.

Batman 26 is really good Zero Year has been turning out great so far Dr. Death is pretty fucking scary looking.

I liked this issue, but it wasn't quite as great as the last few. It was more set up than anything else, the next one looks to be great though.

I do not wantmto see all those artists work with Mark Millar as he tries to build his Marvel Universe of the 21st century.

"This is a Superman comic for the 21st century. Instead of being sent to another planet shortly after birth, an aborted fetus must fend for itself in a world where he is an outcast. Since he was born early he goes theough a second puberty where he develops a heightened level of potency jn everything he does. Adter being raised by a group of androginous seahorses he lashes out at a world raised by women. BEING BORN STARTS HERE

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I do not wantmto see all those artists work with Mark Millar as he tries to build his Marvel Universe of the 21st century.

"This is a Superman comic for the 21st century. Instead of being sent to another planet shortly after birth, an aborted fetus must fend for itself in a world where he is an outcast. Since he was born early he goes theough a second puberty where he develops a heightened level of potency jn everything he does. Adter being raised by a group of androginous seahorses he lashes out at a world raised by women. BEING BORN STARTS HERE

The sad part is that does sound like something he would think was a good idea.

Vibranium

Banned
My fuckin' shop was out of Invincible when I got there today, it was messed up.

That's why I embraced digital-only and I got myself on one of those amazing Nook HD+s, thanks United States!

When my downtown shops were all out of Winter Soldier it kept pissing me off so much. It's so crazy down there and parking prices are insanely high so it made so much more sense for me to drop a money on a tablet. I still support my LCS from time to time though.

Hopefully you get your issue Acid, it's a great character building read even though it's light on big plot movements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom