• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I do not wantmto see all those artists work with Mark Millar as he tries to build his Marvel Universe of the 21st century.

"This is a Superman comic for the 21st century. Instead of being sent to another planet shortly after birth, an aborted fetus must fend for itself in a world where he is an outcast. Since he was born early he goes theough a second puberty where he develops a heightened level of potency jn everything he does. Adter being raised by a group of androginous seahorses he lashes out at a world raised by women. BEING BORN STARTS HERE

theres not enough rape

I think i'm done with Shaolin Cowboy, awesone art but literally no story anymore
just the same damn pages over and over again of killing zombies for 2 straight issues basically now.

Sweet Batman: Black & White cover.

Also might drop The Walking Dead and just start from the beginning and get the Omnibus's or TP. (have only read first few issue started around #110).

ReiGun

Justice League 3K is hilarious. I say let them go to the present and replace the current League. :p

Kinda bummed there's no Aquaman 3K or Martian Manhunter 3K, but they could be added later.
Maybe that's what Cadmus needs Ariel to complete.

tim1138

The announcements keep coming:

ANIMAL MAN TO END IN MARCH

Jeff Lemire said:
My run as the writer of Animal Man, and the series itself, will come to an end with March's Issue 29, an issue which I will both write and draw along with Travel Foreman.

As sad as I am to be finished writing the solo stories of Buddy, Maxine, Ellen and Cliff, I am also excited to announce that I will continue to write the monthly adventures of Animal Man when he becomes regular member of the new JUSTICE LEAGUE book I am writing.

Jeff Lemire said:
And, that last issue will be even more special for me, because I have not only written issue 29, I will also draw the majority of that final issue as well! Original Animal Man artist, the mad genius that is Travel Foreman, will join me to illustrate a framing sequence for my pages. And, my Sweet Tooth and Trillium collaborator, Jose Villarrubia will colour my pages.

There are some great artists coming up to take his place since Greg Lamd is the new writer of Inhuman.

Wait, what?

I'll give you the rundown of my favorites... even stuff that isn't out in tpb form yet.

Saga
Lazarus
East of West
Velvet
Invincible
Sex Criminals
Rat Queens
Black Science

I'm at a point where the majority of my pull-list consists of Image stuff. Well-known creators have been flocking to Image lately.

Don't forget Nowhere Men. It's a million times better than those listed.

Except the art on ANXM is meh.

Mahmud Arsar's work. Just recently became an exclusive artist with Marvel.

I like his work. It's probably the colouring department, I think its too thick.

He and Jason Latour will be doing work with the Wolverine X-Men once Jason Aaron's run is over.

tim1138

Back to Animal Man ending for a minute. It kind of blows my mind that it wasn't cancelled because of sales or editorial mandate, but because Lemire felt the story was over and asked DC to end the title so he could put Buddy in a team book environment. He clearly has some pull internally.

I think i'm done with Shaolin Cowboy, awesone art but literally no story anymore
just the same damn pages over and over again of killing zombies for 2 straight issues basically now.

I don't understand this complaint.

The book is a little bit smaller and skimpier than an art folio but it's also like 500% cheaper than one. If The Shaolin Cowboy was the same content kicked up a little bigger on glossy paper you could sell it in fuckin' The New Museum.

Some art is just...art.

I'll check out the trade, but no way in fuck is it better than Invincible or Saga.

It's immeasurably better. Or did I skim past the immaculately designed magazine clippings that were also essential to the story in Saga and Invincible?

It's possible that I did. I love those books immensely but I can be a fast reader.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Back to Animal Man ending for a minute. It kind of blows my mind that it wasn't cancelled because of sales or editorial mandate, but because Lemire felt the story was over and asked DC to end the title so he could put Buddy in a team book environment. He clearly has some pull internally.

The only other time I've heard of something like that is when Neil Gaiman asked DC to leave Sandman alone, No going on without him.

The main difference is that Neil Gaiman's Sandman is brilliant and unique whereas Lemire's Animal Man started off great and then spiraled into "Oh god, I forgot I still wrote that book" territory for Lemire. Shame, I'd like to read somebody else's take on Animal Man, like Matt Kindt.

tim1138

It's immeasurably better. Or did I skim past the immaculately designed magazine clippings that were also essential to the story in Saga and Invincible?

It's possible that I did. I love those books immensely but I can be a fast reader.

Is Nowhere Men anything like Manhattan Projects? A quick search makes it seem like it does the crazy twisted science stuff as well.

I don't understand this complaint.

The book is a little bit smaller and skimpier than an art folio but it's also like 500% cheaper than one. If The Shaolin Cowboy was the same content kicked up a little bigger on glossy paper you could sell it in fuckin' The New Museum.

Some art is just...art.

You don't understand why someone wouldn't want to look through 25 pages of zombies being killed with a chainsaw? I can. I dropped the series after the first issue. I don't buy art books because I'm not interested in them. I'm interested in narrative. Even crazy quasi-narrative will do. Even if dude, say, broke his chainsaw and then like had to repair it before continuing the slaughter. There. There is some semblance of a story.

The dude who bought the first three issues should pick up the last one, though. I mean, there has to be some kind of ending, right? Something? I would be curious to find out after sinking $15 into the thing. Plus, you'll totes be able to resell the complete four part mini.

Deprive

Figured it was only a matter of time after Rotworld.

JL3000 was meh. Thought they were new characters, not
clones.
Wonder who the five are tho, unless the twins were just talking about the JL.

tim1138

The only other time I've heard of something like that is when Neil Gaiman asked DC to leave Sandman alone, No going on without him.

The main difference is that Neil Gaiman's Sandman is brilliant and unique whereas Lemire's Animal Man started off great and then spiraled into "Oh god, I forgot I still wrote that book" territory for Lemire. Shame, I'd like to read somebody else's take on Animal Man, like Matt Kindt.

Yeah, Sandman was the only other book I could think of where that happened.

While N52 Animal Man never regained the glory of those first six issues where Foreman was on art duties, it did rebound nicely after it got some separation from the disaster that was RotWorld. This year's annual (which also featured Foreman) was probably the best issue after that first arc, followed by #20 (which was about the movie Buddy acted in). It never came close to reaching the highs of Morrison's run, but aside from RotWorld, I found it to be worth picking up every month.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yeah, Sandman was the only other book I could think of where that happened.

While N52 Animal Man never regained the glory of those first six issues where Foreman was on art duties, it did rebound nicely after it got some separation from the disaster that was RotWorld. This year's annual (which also featured Foreman) was probably the best issue after that first arc, followed by #20 (which was about the movie Buddy acted in). It never came close to reaching the highs of Morrison's run, but aside from RotWorld, I found it to be worth picking up every month.

Oh, totally agree. Foreman + Lemire at the beginning was a hell of a team. Initially it was just nice having Buddy back on the page but it started off so damn good, and then it just got bogged down, and I want to say that's almost entirely Swamp Thing's fault. Scott Snyder never really had it with that book, despite the gorgeous Paquette art, and I feel like they were just too trigger happy with the cleverness of the Green and the Red and the Rot warring.

clones.

I thought it was pretty fun. I'll probably give it another issue or two. I'm not a big fan of the flagship JL stuff, so this was a nice change of pace.

Thought it would be coming. Sales haven't been good. Is it possible Lemire is on two Justice League books or they are renaming JLC? He hinted kn twitter, then deleted it shortly after....

I would assume the latter. It was announced far in advance of its launch, and we know how DC is about sticking to long-term plans.

wow rogue's really toast

miraclemax.jpg

Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much. It just so happens that your mutant here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

wait for the reboot

Eldren

Hooray, solicits!

Love that Kevin Wada cover for She-Hulk. Guy's a great artist.

New Secret Avengers sounds cool. I've still not read the Ellis and Remender trades yet but I've not interest in the Nick Spencer series. This sounds good though.

Amazing cover for Black Widow. Phil Noto was such a good choice for that book.

Most importantly, a Wolverine & The X-Men omnibus! And it's 900+ pages! So good. Any ideas why issues 36 and 37 aren't collected?

Owzers

is WATXM the fastest omnibus solicit?

I'm tempted, but not that tempted. Definitely want to pick up Uncanny X-Force omnibus first.

Marvel has a ton of books i want to read, it's quite ridiculous. Will probably get daredevil #1 relaunch, Moon Night #1, and Silver Surfer #1, but i want to read a bunch of other books.....Marvel Unlimited better keep the updates flowing Xo

tim1138

Oh, totally agree. Foreman + Lemire at the beginning was a hell of a team. Initially it was just nice having Buddy back on the page but it started off so damn good, and then it just got bogged down, and I want to say that's almost entirely Swamp Thing's fault. Scott Snyder never really had it with that book, despite the gorgeous Paquette art, and I feel like they were just too trigger happy with the cleverness of the Green and the Red and the Rot warring.

Snyder's run on Swamp Thing was such a disappointment, and his glacial pace of storytelling really hurt Animal Man as well. You could tell Lemire was treading water there for a few issues while waiting for Snyder to catch up. Snyder's Swamp Thing was the perfect example of "Oh?! I still write that book?! Crap!"

I dunno where doniewalberg (or however s/he spelled it) went, but I gotta give props for recommending the Vertigo Unknown Soldier series. Just finished the last volume up on my lunch break, and damn was that a great series. Joshua Dysart knocked it out of the park.

miraclemax.jpg

Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much. It just so happens that your mutant here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

wait for the reboot

lmao

Having a really hard time letting go of rogue? C'mon man, she looks like a human turkey only too well done.

inb4 marvel resurrection

Marvel solicits:

AVENGERS UNDERCOVER YEAHHHHH! Hopeless and Walker coming to elevate All-New Marvel Now to greatness.

I'm very interested in the WATXM omnibus, but with the Uncanny X-Force one coming soon it might have to wait.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Rotworld killed Animal Man. I wonder hoe many dropped during or after that event.

Animal Man was SOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD before Rotworld. I was so hyped going in, then POOF, deflated in an instant.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I really can't stand Bendis dialogue anymore but having young Cyclops and girl Wolverine shack up is probably the only logical hilarious conclusion to the Scott/Logan relationship. Even if it still reads like bad fanfiction.

I have to agree, it's hilarious. Stopping this is probably going to be the one thing logan and Scott can agree on. Oh my god, this is going to be how they reconcile! They're going to meet up to plan how to break them up and discover that they're still friends. Bank it.

Hoping for a poster of this fracavella silver surfer cover

BbTcE0pCQAAEJ7m.jpg

I'd pay good money for that as a poster.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT @ the Deadpool #26 solicit :lol

Everyone needs to be reading this book

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Can anyone explain the second part of Francavilla's signature, with the statue of liberty thing? Sometimes he uses it, sometimes he doesn't, and I'm not sure what, if anything, it signifies.

Is Nowhere Men anything like Manhattan Projects? A quick search makes it seem like it does the crazy twisted science stuff as well.

I'll grab the trade with my next IST order. So we shall see. What's the subject matter like? Similar to Manhattan Projects?

It's a bit quieter than Manhattan Projects, subject-wise. It's more about creating this world (and society really) around these four scientists who were to science what The Beatles were to music. It's definitely crazy, but not as totally over the top as MP.

Also, Nate Bellegarde provides astonishingly better art.

Figured it was only a matter of time after Rotworld.

clones.
Following on the
Crime Syndicate clones
angle theory for JL3k, what if
"The Five" are evil clones of the real Justice League and this is a redemption of the CSA story? Clones of the JLA are destroying the future and clones of the CSA will redeem themselves by stopping them, if they don't kill each other first?
Wouldn't that be interesting to read?
Hoping for a poster of this fracavella silver surfer cover

BbTcE0pCQAAEJ7m.jpg
Seconded, that cover is hot sex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom