• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheska

Comics Beat posted an article entitled 'Retailer Roundtable: Are Original Graphic Novels a Sh*tty Business Model?' I found it to be quite an interesting read. Recently CBR columnist Brian Hibbs said (in response to Fantagraphics successful company-saving Kickstarter) that basically OGNs are the cancer of the comic industry (paraphrasing-I might be exaggerating, but barely). The Comics Beat article linked above includes feedback from retailers on sales of OGNs in their store in relation to the other serialized collections and monthlies.

I'm kind of fascinated by the business side of comic publishing. And lately I've been wondering if I'm right to put my priority on monthly floppies as opposed to OGNs. My interest is primarily in non-fantastical, spandex-free, non-corporate comics and, because of my monthlies-first focus, I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the best stuff.

Thank you so much for posting this, was definitely more interested as I read on and found that the owner of the comic book store I go to (Flying Colors) had included some information on there :D

vocab

The majority of the manga I read is mainly Seinen (older adult) manga which is the equivalent to vertigo/image stuff really. There's only a few I read that aren't in that category because I really like the series (ippo, and jojo's).

I recently got into western comics like a month ago, and Saga is a good start, and sandman which is a little bit more thought provoking.

I just finished Fables volume 2 which I thought was really good. Looking forward to more!

On the Inkstuds podcast, Hellen Jo said that Black and White was the only manga she really liked. Anyone here read that?

I'll have to look that one up. I don't think I've ever even heard of that one. Which is ridiculous when you take into account that I've heard of a manga series about a fire inspector. XD

By thy way, the end of Gotham Central was such a bummer, you guys. Fuck Gotham city, for real. Fuck that place.

I love that Renee Montoya, though. Fuck DC, too, for almost totally erasing her from the New 52. And they made Maggie boring now, too. Screw Detective Comics. I would go back and follow Montoya's journey into becoming The Question but I just don't wanna read all that 52 stuff, man. Someone needs to just pull out all the Montoya scenes and put them together for me.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Killjoys #1 is one of the comics I read this year and hated so much that it made me angry. And I didn't even have any expectations going in. Actually.. I'd say it was my most-hated comic of the year. Congratulations, Killjoys.

I tried to make myself finish it, 'cause sometimes you can, like, get into a thing eventually. But I only managed to skim the last third. Then I just wanted to get it the hell out of my house as fast as possible until I saw a LCS selling the first issue for double what I paid for it and thought I'd hang on.

And that story I just told you about my adventure with Killjoys #1 is a million times better than Killjoys so, y'know, it's pretty bad.

Damn, kid. That's some straight vitriolic shit. It's all true, too. The first issue is a horrendous trainwreck clusterfuck, with awful song-dialogue, and some wannabe sci-fi jibba-jabba.

Batman 28 to be set 6 months later. Dustin Nguyen on art. Zero yeat to contine the month after

new nightwing/punisher character to debut

batman28character-451a3.jpg

Owzers

Punisher-type character? Every time a character that kills gets introduced it reminds me why i hate Marvel/DC books ( well, "hate", obviously i still like them.} Seems like every 3 issues there is a prison break in a marvel/dc book i read, namely they just had an escape in Superior Spidey #17ish. Characters can't have strong moral stances like that while people are being killed left and right from failures in a judicial system, it makes the whole thing....incredibly stupid, only complicated when writers want to be funny so they include prison guards/random characters who make jokes about breakouts.

edit:...even i'm bored of myself complaining about that Xo

Thank you so much for posting this, was definitely more interested as I read on and found that the owner of the comic book store I go to (Flying Colors) had included some information on there :D

Holy crap man, I'm making my way through the comments of the article now and Jimmy Palmiotti, Ed Brubaker, and Kurt Busiek all get involved. Interesting indeed!

It's more of a Remender thing.

As you read more of them you'll start to gravitate more towards creators than characters. Remender is very into an internal monologue driving the drama. Some other writers let the action just happen, or focus on exterior dialogue.

It's a very flexible (and thus awesome) medium. Welcome to the party. :)

Welcome to the club! You'll come to find that creators have their quirks for writing characters, and like Benjamin said, internal monologuing is common for Rick Remender.

I would suggest checking out your local public library for trades/graphic novels. It's a great way to find characters and creators you like and not break the bank.

Thanks! I guess I'll keep reading through the Cap America series for now, and then start to gravitate to more characters.

I'll probably get used to the internal monologue as I go on. Felt weird at first, but after knowing it's Cap's feelings on the situations he's in, It's pretty cool.

Owzers

I really liked Man of Steel, just finished watching. Not everything made sense to me though, seemed kind of dumb in areas.
Like when the kryptonian council was just like " hey, we needed the energy, what else were we gonna do?" Not collapse your planet? And why did all the other colonies fail? Didn't some of them successfully terraform it before Krypton exploded? I didn't think it was clear if zod was for the planned breeding thing, you'd think he'd see things like Jor El did that more planned breeding would onlly lead them to ruin all over again.
But apart from that....good stuff.

I really liked Man of Steel, just finished watching. Not everything made sense to me though, seemed kind of dumb in areas.
Like when the kryptonian council was just like " hey, we needed the energy, what else were we gonna do?" Not collapse your planet? And why did all the other colonies fail? Didn't some of them successfully terraform it before Krypton exploded? I didn't think it was clear if zod was for the planned breeding thing, you'd think he'd see things like Jor El did that more planned breeding would onlly lead them to ruin all over again.
But apart from that....good stuff.

If you watch the scenes with the colonies you'll notice that there are some skeletons with weapons beside them. That, with the rumors of Doomsday being in MoS2 makes me believe that he may have been responsible. The corpses had been fighting against -something-.

Manifest Destiny and Three are coming out today. Two of the great new Image releases hardly anyone is talking about. Time to jump on board brahs!

tim1138

After reading Justice League #24 on my morning commute, I think I know what Geoff Johns next book is after Forever Evil ends.

JL #24 spoilers below:

Plastic Man. Eel makes his debut in human form and takes his chemical bath in the beginning of the issue. That combined with the knowledge of Johns saying his next book would focus on a solo character and that he wanted to do a Plastic Man book before the N52 started, and it makes perfect sense.

Ephidel

Okay question.

I've never been into comics before. I've been into manga for a little bit now, but never cared about most of the American etc heroes until reading these comic threads lately, which are hilarious.

Could anyone give me recommendations for a starter and where to read it online? Is there a site to purchase/read at?

The only advice I can give is I really liked Young Justice and Teen Titans when they were on TV. Preferably something with a modern art style, nothing old please ;D
As you mention online, go to comixology. They have a free comics section with some issue ones and such which might give you some more ideas for things you'd like :)

We can try it the other way too; Manga is a pretty broad category, maybe if you share some of the titles you like, there's some common threads we can match up.

So, thoughts on the Miracleman recoloring? I mean, it's not disastrous, but it's still not really good either.
Inconsistent comes to mind, as the first looks pretty poor whereas the second looks reasonable.
There's a few more examples (which still include those above) here: http://robot6.comicbookresources.co...ls-remastered-miracleman-to-eclipse-original/
Again, with that, the first three are okay to me (I actually quite like them), the last two not so much.

I don't understand why they insist on recolouring stuff that generally looks better as it was (though I do kind of like seeing the different 'stages' of colouring as it's changed from reprint to reprint: http://mistahphil.tumblr.com/post/69617657544/miracleman-color-comparisons-from-left)
I know they think modernising the colouring will make it appeal to more people, I'm just not actually sure whether that actually works. I suppose it must?

woodland

As you mention online, go to comixology. They have a free comics section with some issue ones and such which might give you some more ideas for things you'd like :)

We can try it the other way too; Manga is a pretty broad category, maybe if you share some of the titles you like, there's some common threads we can match up.

Inconsistent comes to mind, as the first looks pretty poor whereas the second looks reasonable.
There's a few more examples (which still include those above) here: http://robot6.comicbookresources.co...ls-remastered-miracleman-to-eclipse-original/
Again, with that, the first three are okay to me, the last two not so much.
I don't understand why they insist on recolouring stuff that generally looks better as it was. And this isn't nostalgia talking, as I never read the original.
(And okay, I do understand. I know they think modernising the colouring will make it appeal to more people, I'm just not actually sure whether that actually works. I suppose it must?)

Okay^^

My favorite manga's would probably be Soul Eater & Noragami, while One Piece is my favorite of the big three. Picked up Saga #1 and Young Justice #1 on comixollogy, I'll look at the others too.

Thanks everyone^^

There are a few that I like, Flowers of Evil, Berserk, and pretty much anything by Kaoru Mori. Rafa probably reads a lot more of it.
Vinland Saga brah. Incredible US release. Support the mangaka!
After reading Justice League #24 on my morning commute, I think I know what Geoff Johns next book is after Forever Evil ends.

JL #24 spoilers below:

Plastic Man. Eel makes his debut in human form and takes his chemical bath in the beginning of the issue. That combined with the knowledge of Johns saying his next book would focus on a solo character and that he wanted to do a Plastic Man book before the N52 starts, and it makes perfect sense.
Nah brah. He has to do what is prmoised to us. Though it would be exciting to see a comics superstar elevate THAT character...
We should find out soon though. Solicits were held back, so some bombs will be dropped soon...

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Harper Row is the new Nightwing (dat suit is no Robin suit)?!

can Dick (re)become Robin????

It's a longshot but Carrie Kelly could possibly maybe be up for the suit considering her involvement with Damian and appearances in Batman & Robin.

tim1138

DC readies weekly series, 'Futures End' for spring

Nearly three years after its debut, DC Comics is pushing its New 52 five years into the future with writers Jeff Lemire, Keith Giffen, Brian Azzarello and Dan Jurgens to examine how heroes change with the passing of time and technology.

The weekly title, "The New 52: Futures End," debuts on Free Comic Book Day in May with a free zero issue, with the first issue of series hitting shelves and digital storefronts later that month. It is the second such weekly book for DC in 2014. The other, "Batman: Eternal," launches in the spring as DC celebrates Batman's 75th anniversary.

Lemire calls the new weekly series an exploration of DC's past, present and its future.

"Really, what we're trying to do with this book is to explore the nature of what a hero is and we're doing that, obviously by playing with the future of the New 52 timeline," he said. "Past present and future all colliding in this story line."

That means exploring the past with a character like Frankenstein, the present with Firestorm and the future with Batman Beyond who is, Lemire said, making what is his first "in-continuity appearance. He'll become part of the New 52."

There's also an image showing Terry lurking over Supes, Batman, and WW robots(?) with Brother Eye logos on them.

Owzers

I don't think i'm on board either the batman weekly or the 52 weekly. The teaser image reminds me of Rotworld, where all the heroes are funky evil something or other.

Savitar

It's funny considering how much the people that publish comics so often want to make sure no real time advances to maintain the status quo usually.

Anything that ruins the status quo is often done away with so it can be reverted back.

tim1138

I'll probably have to do some juggling of my monthly pickups, but I'm in for Futures End. Like Rafa, I'm a total sucker for those kinds of storylines. And hey, I can totally see Booster Gold being a part of this book.

Messi

Probably trade wait some Image titles that are not top tier. My wife is talking of dropping Morning Glories which will help.

I felt like after reading the first trade of morning glories that I had no idea what was happening and that they intended on stringing that on for as long as they could.

Filthy Slug

Did anybody here pick up 52 as it was coming out, week-to-week? I've only read it in trades and it was great, but I'm wondering how it read weekly? Like, was the pacing/story worth the price every week?

Did anybody here pick up 52 as it was coming out, week-to-week? I've only read it in trades and it was great, but I'm wondering how it read weekly? Like, was the pacing/story worth the price every week?

One of the best comic reading experiences of my life, so...uh...YEAH.

But I put the responsibility solely on JG Jones for that. His cover work was world class and essential for making it feel like a must-read every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom