• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is more like a monthly comics thread than a graphic novel thread, but there's no obvious outlet to ask so I'll ask here...

Doing some last minute Christmas shopping. Any one-off (or available as a one off) graphic novels this year with human / emotional / social themes (as opposed to an emphasis on combat or superpowers)? Good themes are mental health, love, family, politics, coming-of-age, history, war, etc. Supernatural stuff is fine if the story is essentially grounded in human drama or comedy. Blankets, Black Hole, Maus, Ghost World, etc are all good points of reference. Would really appreciate your advice.

Released this year:

Coming of Age: Today is the Last Day of the Rest of Your Life, Ulli Lust

History/Politics: Woman Rebel: The Margret Sanger Story, Peter Bagge

History: The Fifth Beatle: The Brian Epstein Story, Vivek J. Tiwary

Social Themes/History/Politics: March Book One, John Lewis

Coming of Age/Family: Bad Houses, Sara Ryan

Coming of Age: Celebrated Summer, Charles Forsman

History/War/Coming of Age: Boxers and Saints, Gene Yuen Yang

And now for something completely different/avant garde/acid-laced/creative dark brilliant humor: Very Casual, Michael DeForge

Doing some last minute Christmas shopping. Any one-off (or available as a one off) graphic novels this year with human / emotional / social themes (as opposed to an emphasis on combat or superpowers)? Good themes are mental health, love, family, politics, coming-of-age, history, war, etc. Supernatural stuff is fine if the story is essentially grounded in human drama or comedy. Blankets, Black Hole, Maus, Ghost World, etc are all good points of reference. Would really appreciate your advice.

Since you mention Blankets, Craig Thompson's newest one, Habibi is also excellent. And although some people around here are currently less-than-enthused about Brian Wood, I would definitely check out Local.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thank you all, that's some great stuff to go on. I appreciate it. What I've read of the suggestions (Y The Last Man, Habibi) are good and I suspect I'll be able to find some great stocking stuffers by researching the others. :)

8bit

Knows the Score
W2UI

Yessssssssssssss

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I know this is more like a monthly comics thread than a graphic novel thread, but there's no obvious outlet to ask so I'll ask here...

The Nao of Brown by Glyn Dillon is from October last year but it's worth a look too.

monome

Day tripper by Moon/Ga
Parker(s) by Cooke
Asterios Polyp by Mazzuchelli
one-offs by Morrison
Severed by Snyder

tim1138

For stuff originally released this year:

Series
Manhattan Projects
Green Arrow
Zero

Writers
Grant Morrison
Jeff Lemire
Ales Kot

Artists
Chris Burnham
Andrea Sorrentino
Doug Mahnke

Individual issues
Manhattan Projects #13
Laika returns to space, leaving Yuri behind
Animal Man Annual #2
fallout of Buddy dealing with the death of Cliff. No one does father/son story beats better than Lemire
Green Lantern #20
End to one of my favorite runs ever in comics. Hal and Sinestro's relationship comes full circle
Batman Inc #13
End to one of my other favorite runs of all time. Morrison ended his time on Batman perfectly

Messi

Where is the best place to buy the OZ hardcovers that ships to Europe? I love the art but dislike the small paperbacks.

Thank you all, that's some great stuff to go on. I appreciate it. What I've read of the suggestions (Y The Last Man, Habibi) are good and I suspect I'll be able to find some great stocking stuffers by researching the others. :)

Sorry I'm late but Marbles sounds like precisely what you're looking for: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=42717

Ivy by Sarah Oleksyk is also fantastic.

The Nao of Brown by Glyn Dillon is from October last year but it's worth a look too.

Oh crap, seconded, thirded, and fourthed.

tim1138

I love these types of sales gives me a chance to read stories I've heard about for cheap. Always wanted to read Fatal Attractions when I heard Magneto ripped out Wolverine's adamantium.

I still have those original floppies stashed away in my basement. That scene with Mags and Logan was awesome for 14 year old me.

Roman

Nothing new in DC's March solicits. Everything coming to an end in the Forever Evil event. I avoided descriptions.

Have we known that Batman: The Dark Knight, Talon and Lil' Gotham are ending?

Is this the first time DC is cancelling Batman family books since the New 52 began?

I'm baffled things like The Movement, Larfleeze and especially Batwing are still around.

Is this the first time DC is cancelling Batman family books since the New 52 began?

I'm baffled things like The Movement, Larfleeze and especially Batwing are still around.

I knew about all that. The writer wrote a gracious letter for his time with Batman and DC. The book wasn't very good.

thetechkid

So I've been catch up with the last few years of X-Men stories(finished up to Utopia last night) and I wanna know if I'm missing anything on my checklist of things to get caught up on:

House of M, Decimation , Messiah Complex, Divided We Stand, Manifest Destiny, X-Infernus, Messiah War, Utopia, Nation X, Necrosha, Second Coming, Age of X, X-Men: Prelude to Schism, Schism, Wolverine and the X-Men, Avengers: X-Sanction, Avengers vs. X-Men, All-New X-Men, Battle of the Atom

Owzers

My DC March 2014 things of note that are notable:

Absolute All Star Batman and Robin is 9 issues for 99.95 msrp. - seems pricey for so few issues.
Black Canary and Zatana: Bloospell HC by Dini
Adventures of Superman digital tradey thing vol 1

And a lot of monthly issues i'm not buying XP

My DC March 2014 things of note that are notable:

Absolute All Star Batman and Robin is 9 issues for 99.95 msrp. - seems pricey for so few issues.
Black Canary and Zatana: Bloospell HC by Dini
Adventures of Superman digital tradey thing vol 1

And a lot of monthly issues i'm not buying XP

I've had that Canary and Zatana book preordered on Amazon forever ago.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Aquaman Vol 4 isn't including John Ostrander's #20 or the Annual #2. The first annual hasn't been collected anywhere either. DC's saving all of this to collect with the first issues of an Others ongoing... right?!

American Vampire is resuming with a new #1.

Also, guys! Vertigo's doing another experiment in better trade scheduling. Hinterkind Vol 1 comes out April 2, and collects all the way to #6, which arrives on March 5th.

The end of Talon hadn't been announced, but it was expected after the solicitation for Talon Vol 2 changed to include a few more issues.

Mindwipe

Volume 1 of Mind MGMT? It's espionage-y in places, but it's not really a book about conflict as such.

Some thoughts:

• New Superboy is basically Superboy Prime. I think that is why I like him so much.
  • New quarterly Legends of the Dark Knight is like a freakin' trade. 100 pages of sex.
  • Superman/Wonder Woman continues to be great. You should be reading it.
  • Justice League 3000 got one tiny hook in me. But it's on the razors edge. This is mostly my fanboy annoyance at it replacing Legion, though.
  • Forever Evil continues to be great. You're probably already reading it. Unless you lolDC.
  • Justice League of America was weird. But I like the focus on Stargirl, so whatevs.
  • I'm excited about the Worlds' Finest / World's Finest team up.
  • Green Lantern Corps is sleeper fun. Also, Durlans. I love Durlans.

arkon

Also, guys! Vertigo's doing another experiment in better trade scheduling. Hinterkind Vol 1 comes out April 2, and collects all the way to #6, which arrives on March 5th.

Yeah. Same with Collider/FBP, which is also back in the solicits for single issues. So the worries from last month's solicits are over.

"Batman and [BLANK]" is transitioning into a "Brave and the Bold" -style team-up series? I see that Aquaman is in the solicited issue as co-star.

Interesting. Let me know when they get to "Batman and Wonder Woman."

American Vampire: Second Cycle #1... Yessssssss. $3.99, those fuckers.

Also, based on the solicits, it looks like DC is finally starting to go from HC to TPB in less than a year! Holy shit!!!

Tizoc

This month's Chew issue was OK, though maybe I was expecting more?

Justice League 25 was OK too, I liked less than Chew 48 though.

Superior Foes of Spiderman 6
Is prob. my book of the week, effin' Boomerang GAF.

Also please tell me Secret Avenger 13 is releasing next week
SECAVN2013013-int-LR2-5-a7da5.jpg

frye

Del Mundo Elektra artwork. Also, Haden Blackman (Batwoman) is taking over writing duties from Zeb Wells on the book, after TV commitments prevented Wells from focusing on the book like he wanted.

Source: Axel-In-Charge (CBR)

FUCK

I know Marvel's thing is to hire cats that got dicked over by the Distinguished Competition but I read some of those Batwomans and they are Not Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom