• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the epic showdown concludes in two panels as this woman wastes the big bad Katana has faced by...

Shooting him with a gun.

There is a special place in writer hell for you Nocenti.

Owzers

comics people, how do you get into Superior Spidey?

How did Parker ever read this book? I'm above it all and soon Marvel will know it!

This gag's been going on a long time without any payoff.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

How did Parker ever read this book? I'm above it all and soon Marvel will know it!

Amazing Spider-Man 697-700 -> Superior for the main line. Avenging Spider-Man -> Superior Spider-Man Team Up for side books.

Edit: That may not have been an answer to your question.

Amazing Spider-Man 697-700 -> Superior for the main line. Avenging Spider-Man -> Superior Spider-Man Team Up for side books.

Edit: That may not have been an answer to your question.

I was wanting to see what happen leading up to Superior Spider,,

Last 4 issues of Amazing Spidey is all i really need to read?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Maybe Amazing Spider-Man 600 for some extra context and if you really want to go the full mile the Ends of the Earth arc, but they're not really necessary.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The Creeper oneshotbhad the worst dialogue. Thisis why editors shouldn'tbwrite ladies and gentlemen....

I see your Creeper oneshot and raise you the Kubert Joker oneshot. Nothing could prepare me for the horseshit writing infesting that comic.

I don't understand how someone can bitch about a book being bad yet still support it month after month.

Depends on the title. I continue to buy a book for a number of different reasons. In the case of Katana, it like books such as Vibe, are doomed to failure and I'd rather just finish them out and have the entire series. In the case of a book like Teen Titans or Catwoman, I know that those writers will eventually be replaced / hit by a bus / cease to exist, and I'd rather not have a hole in my collection. Take Layman's Catwoman Zero Year issue, for example, maybe they are testing the waters?

And honestly, bad writing offends me less than bad art; I can hate a story but love the art and keep getting it, but bad art will make me drop a good story (re: Trillium).

Depends on the title. I continue to buy a book for a number of different reasons. In the case of Katana, it like books such as Vibe, are doomed to failure and I'd rather just finish them out and have the entire series. In the case of a book like Teen Titans or Catwoman, I know that those writers will eventually be replaced / hit by a bus / cease to exist, and I'd rather not have a hole in my collection. Take Layman's Catwoman Zero Year issue, for example, maybe they are testing the waters?

And honestly, bad writing offends me less than bad art; I can hate a story but love the art and keep getting it, but bad art will make me drop a good story (re: Trillium).

But why? You aren't likely to re-read it, are you?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

So you dropped Trillium and continue flushing money down the shitter for Katana and Teen Titans? That's absurd, man. Nobody can tell you what to do with your money but it is a bit odd to be supportive of absolute garbage out of blind loyalty.

Do you sell the full runs after you get them, or just keep 'em around?

Also The Joker issue was real awful shit

I hated Creeper more
I hope DC got a papercut when they wiped thier ass with my four dollars

This gag's been going on a long time without any payoff.

sometimes I'm bored of it and sometimes alright with it

Kinyou

And the latest free comic book on Comixology is....

....My little Pony?

backingout2m5q1j.gif

So you dropped Trillium and continue flushing money down the shitter for Katana and Teen Titans? That's absurd, man. Nobody can tell you what to do with your money but it is a bit odd to be supportive of absolute garbage out of blind loyalty.

Trillium is a special case. The art is just so bad. I'm still pulling some of the indie titles that I might otherwise have dropped, but they stay because of my personal buying habits. I'd likely have dropped Saga by now because of the last three issues being so boring. But the art is good so it's saved. I'm very visually oriented with my comics.

But why? You aren't likely to re-read it, are you?

Sometimes I'll reread them. But usually it's so that if/when I sell them it is a complete set. I also have a fondness for more obscure runs of titles; runs you'll see very few of in complete form.

GH...you don't have to do so this.

I do it so others don't have to.

suffah

Does maths and stuff

If you really want more Spidey start with the spider island arc I guess...

Also I found the Battle Chasers anthology for $100 still sealed at my LCS. Seems to fetch a decent amount on Amazon... I'm stoked. They also gave me $20 store credit as part of some membership promo.

Acid08

Banned
Six Gun Gorilla #6

Incredible finale. Just....fucking incredible. It will make you think about fiction in a way that comics rarely do now.

Best mini this year no doubt. Best comics this year? Probably. Better than the entirety of the New 52. Better than any of Birdie's 12,000 favorite comics this year. Better than Marvel NOW.

Pleasepleaseplease support this book when the trade comes out. It is so worth your time and money.

Isak_Borg

It's probably better than that cruddy IDW Judge Dredd they had available the other day. But they had Revival #1 yesterday so I'm stoked to read that.

Pretty rad thing they're doing with these 12 free comics.

I jist discovered IDWs Judge Dredd and kind of love it. Going to pick up the 2000 AD stuff now.

Six Gun Gorilla #6

Pleasepleaseplease support this book when the trade comes out. It is so worth your time and money.

I'm amazed when titles like this actually get to finish; Not intending to shit talk (though you know I'm down to trash talk with you), but the fact that this title has like 5000 sales (of print, I obviously don't know how it does digitally). It's just damn cool that a title that you've so clearly enjoyed managed to finish it's run.

Acid08

Banned
I'm amazed when titles like this actually get to finish; Not intending to shit talk (though you know I'm down to trash talk with you), but the fact that this title has like 5000 sales (of print, I obviously don't know how it does digitally). It's just damn cool that a title that you've so clearly enjoyed managed to finish it's run.
I'm sure it didn't have huge sales expectations to begin with. It's a miniseries from relatively unknown creators on a small publisher. Really hoping the trade does well for all involved. I hope Maquinon and I have at least sold a couple copies here.

kswiston

Boom's best selling titles don't move much more than 15k copies.

Parch

Six Gun Gorilla #6
Best mini this year no doubt. Best comics this year? Probably. Better than the entirety of the New 52. Better than any of Birdie's 12,000 favorite comics this year. Better than Marvel NOW.
I've pretty much switched to being a miniseries fan full time now. Or perhaps a specific story arc or trade that was recommended.

Ongoings ultimately disappoint. I either get bored with the title or sick of the constant con job to keep buying the run or buy more tie-in titles.

Six Gun Gorilla #6

Incredible finale. Just....fucking incredible. It will make you think about fiction in a way that comics rarely do now.

Holy shit man I'm so excited that you finally read the finale! I knew you'd blow!

I jist discovered IDWs Judge Dredd and kind of love it. Going to pick up the 2000 AD stuff now.

I read my first Dredd in the 2000 AD FCBD book this year and was surprised by how much fun it was. Then I was lucky enough to win Carlos Ezquerra's art book vol 1 and, man, wait 'til you read real Dredd. Such raddness.

Yeah, Spurrier recently referred to it as a sold out series. I know the first issue, at least, went into a second printing. It's Boom Studios and I don't think they tend to print their stuff in large quantities.

I am so excited for you guys to discover this story when it is collected. I'd be worried about over-hyping it but that would be impossible. Here's something I said about SGG on CBR:

.. The finale, issue 6, dropped today and it was incredible and wholly satisfying. Spurrier and Stokely are pretty much schooling comic book creators with their demonstration of what can be accomplished with the medium.

This series beautifully explores the courage required to move through loss, the importance of stories to our society and what it means to be part of the world rather than to make ourselves the centre of it.

Owzers

i'm a little disappointed that the six gun gorilla trade will only be paperback...but i'll probably get it unless it gets a comixology sale before its June release.

Acid08

Banned
Chew 38

Amazing issue, but what else is new? Got more new food powers which is always so much fun to see. The last two issues of this arc will be crazy.

Also another poster of Kirkman in the background of one of the panels, they always make me laugh :lol. Luv u Guillory.

Eldren

I'll be picking up the Six Gun Gorilla trade! I have virtually no idea what it's about but it's getting high praise here and I'm a sucker for throwing money at comics. Plus Spurrier seems like a cool guy.

Chew 38

Amazing issue, but what else is new? Got more new food powers which is always so much fun to see. The last two issues of this arc will be crazy.

Also another poster of Kirkman in the background of one of the panels, they always make me laugh :lol. Luv u Guillory.

Oh man, I can't wait for the 8th trade. I loved the 7th. There was one panel in a gym where Guillory had pasted Kirkman's head onto the bodies of these mega-buff dudes on posters in the background, that was hilarious.

Chew 38

Chew is such a weird book for me, because I really don't look forward to reading it. I mean, I'm all like "food cops, who cares?"...but I enjoy the hell out of it when I'm actually reading it.

I am so excited for you guys to discover this story when it is collected. I'd be worried about over-hyping it but that would be impossible. Here's something I said about SGG on CBR:

.. The finale, issue 6, dropped today and it was incredible and wholly satisfying. Spurrier and Stokely are pretty much schooling comic book creators with their demonstration of what can be accomplished with the medium.

This series beautifully explores the courage required to move through loss, the importance of stories to our society and what it means to be part of the world rather than to make ourselves the centre of it.

I haven't read the finale yet, but read 1-5. I absolutely loved it. Probably my favorite series all year. When it's out in trade I'm buying copies for myself and all my comic reading friends.

Acid08

Banned
I haven't read the finale yet, but read 1-5. I absolutely loved it. Probably my favorite series all year. When it's out in trade I'm buying copies for myself and all my comic reading friends.
You're going to love the finale. It is absolutely perfect.

Hey ComicGAF, does anyone know what's going on Christmas week with comic releases? Since Christmas falls on a Wednesday, are we getting our stuff Tuesday or Thursday?

I've pretty much switched to being a miniseries fan full time now. Or perhaps a specific story arc or trade that was recommended.

Ongoings ultimately disappoint. I either get bored with the title or sick of the constant con job to keep buying the run or buy more tie-in titles.

Yeah, half my pull list is minis. And a lot of the ongoings I try end up being minis because I drop them after the first arc. Mini-series are where it's at.

i'm a little disappointed that the six gun gorilla trade will only be paperback...but i'll probably get it unless it gets a comixology sale before its June release.

Where did you read that? I have yet to find any info on a SGG collection.

Yeah, I tweeted at Boom that they need to make a gorgeous collection for SGG and get it into every podcaster and reviewer's hands because people need to read it. Jeff Stokely retweeted that, heh. But I've had the same thought. Maybe buy an extra copy and donate it to the library or something.

You're going to love the finale. It is absolutely perfect.

There's no way they could wrap it all up clean in one, I said. There's sure to be some unanswered questions, I said.

Hey ComicGAF, does anyone know what's going on Christmas week with comic releases? Since Christmas falls on a Wednesday, are we getting our stuff Tuesday or Thursday?

It's gonna be two Tuesdays in a row. Christmas Eve and New Years Eve.

Owzers

Yeah, half my pull list is minis. And a lot of the ongoings I try end up being minis because I drop them after the first arc. Mini-series are where it's at.

Where did you read that? I have yet to find any info on a SGG collection.

Amazon has it listed as a paperback June 2014 release so far :O

Parch

Yup. It's like the writer has a really good idea to get the title started and then gets into a slump trying to continue with new stories.
Or the dreaded crossovers. Pretty much every New-52 title I tried was really good up to the point they started the crossovers. That's when I was out.
I have no loyalty to ongoings. There are too many good comics to read instead of wasting time and money on ongoings that get stale. Miniseries have it right. Tell the story. End it. Not some neverending soap opera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom