• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I noticed Marvel Knights is back. Anybody read any of these yet? I might try the XMen ones.

Marvel Knights Spider-man is fantastic and trippy. It's a Peter Parker story featuring, like, all of Spidey's Villains.

arkon

Are Uncanny Avengers or XMen Legacy worth reading?

I think I will try and pick up some Daredevil.

Yes to X-Men Legacy. Worth trying out. Haven't read Uncanny yet but there's a few fans in here.

Daredevil is a must. The first oversized Hardcover should give a good taste of what to expect through the rest of the series.

I noticed Marvel Knights is back. Anybody read any of these yet? I might try the XMen ones.

I've been collecting this line and MK X-Men is my favorite. Brahm Revel art is amazballs, and the coloring is awesome.
vf5xFgH.png

My List is Better Than Yours -12/18

Motherfucking Empowered 8
Harley Quinn #1
Wonder Woman #26
Locke & Key Alpha #2
Black Science #2
East of West #8
Revival #16
Saga #17
All-New X-Men #20
X-Men #8
Young Avengers #14

Also, Diamond's list for next week is hilarious.

Vyer

I was worried the art in Scalped would really turn me off, but I was able to get used to it. 1 trade in now, enjoying it.

tim1138

New stuff comes out on Tuesday for the two weeks following this one. Stuff comes out Christmas Eve.... just not very much of it. At all. The following week will probably be closer to normal.

I know DC is putting out Justice League and Forever Evil the week of Christmas, what else is that week?

Spookie

So I've been getting back in to my comics after getting a tablet. But can anyone recommend me a good reader? I was using ComicRack but it's down scaling to a 7" looks awful. I'm currently using ComiCat and while I like it, the developers keep threatening to drop it and when you open the menu it refuses to go back in to full screen till you close it and reopen it! Anyone got any other suggestions? :)

LIST:

AMAZING SPIDEY #700.4/.5
BLACK SCIENCE #2
BOUNCE #8
BUZZKILL #4 of 4
FOREVER EVIL: ROGUES #3
HARLEY QUINN #1
HIT #4 of 4 - (cool story & art.)
SAGA #17
SAMURAI JACK #3
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #24
UMBRAL #2
ZERO #4

I'm catching up on my batman issues, do the villains month issues take place during zero year or are they not within the arc?

I don't remember exactly off the top of my head, but I don't think any of them take place during Zero Year.

Listorama

Animal Man #26
Batman And Two-Face #26
Forever Evil Rogues Rebellion #3
Green Lantern New Guardians #26
Harley Quinn #1
Justice League Of America's Vibe #10
Supergirl #26
Trinity Of Sin Pandora #6
Wonder Woman #26

LIST

Dark Horse
Bloodhound: Crowbar Medicine #3 of 5
Buzzkill #4 of 4
Dark Horse Presents #31

A Voice in the Dark #2
East of West #8
Pretty Deadly #3 (Ok, one arc! You've got one arc, Pretty Deadly, and I want some answers!)
Umbral #2
Zero #4

Other
Imagine Agents #3 of 4 (Boom)
Red Sonja #6 (Dynamite)

And I realized yesterday listening to the (rather terrible) Comic Vine podcast that I had missed Wraith: Welcome to Christmasland #2 of 5!!!! How did that happen when I've been anticipating this comic SO. MUCH. Fixin' to track that down.

I'm catching up on my batman issues, do the villains month issues take place during zero year or are they not within the arc?

Most of the Batman Villains are either origin stories or Forever Evil prequels. I highly recommend Two Face and Riddler. I also really enjoyed Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy.

ReiGun

List la List

Forever Evil: Rogues Rebellion 3
Harley Quinn #1
Supergirl #26
Wonder Woman #26
Samurai Jack #3
Black Science #2
Thor God Of Thunder #16
X-Men #8

phoenixyz

I am currently reading The Long Halloween so I haven't even gotten last week's stuff, but this is what will go into queue this week:

Batman and Robin/Two-Face #26
Harley Quinn #1

What is this Zero everybody has on their list?

LIST

Pretty Deadly #3 (Ok, one arc! You've got one arc, Pretty Deadly, and I want some answers!)

And I realized yesterday listening to the (rather terrible) Comic Vine podcast.

I hear such divisive things about Pretty Deadly. Some people say it's the greatest thing ever and others are just ???ing in confusion. What's up?

And yeah, the Comic Vine podcast can be random but I like the hosts overall enthusiasm so it helps.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Animal Man #26
Harley Quinn #1
Pandora #6
Vibe #10 (goodnight sweet prince)
Wonder Woman/Orion #26
Zero #4

On a scale of 1 to SOFUCKINGPUMPED, what are ya, Tim?

Also, if anybody needs a great dark fantasy comic, Umbral is it. The first issue was quite long and did an excellent job of revealing the interesting world and some of the characters within the comic.

I hear such divisive things about Pretty Deadly. Some people say it's the greatest thing ever and others are just ???ing in confusion. What's up?

And yeah, the Comic Vine podcast can be random but I like the hosts overall enthusiasm so it helps.
She is trying to outhink and confuse herself. She thinks being overly vague is being mysterious. It makes sense to nobody. It's what happens when you din't have an editor, Bunny.

Pretty Deadly has a lot going for it beyond the great art. What seems to be left out though is information about the characters. Who are these people and how do they know each other and why are they in each other's lives and what is the danger here and what is that item you say is important and why is it important and why is that guy shooting/stabbing that person, etc. You know, INFORMATION. What it has is happenings. Lots happens. And it looks cool. And you're pretty sure it's important and you think these characters might be interesting.

Yeah, aside from being a little goofy, the Comics Vine guys are likable enough. They just don't seem to do any preparation for their podcast. I mean, you don't have to talk about every single release, especially when half of what you're saying is "Didn't read it" "It was ok."

I'm itching to do my own thing again. I'm thinking maybe a talking heads Youtube show/podcast. I'd need to do it with someone who is as into indies as me, though. Unless I wanted to do, like, a Sell it to Me kind of show where I matched myself with a corporate comics reader and we took turns schooling each other.

Also, if anybody needs a great dark fantasy comic, Umbral is it. The first issue was quite long and did an excellent job of revealing the interesting world and some of the characters within the comic.

I just re-read Umbral #1 the other day. It's not the kind of thing I usually go for, but dammit, it's good. Beautiful and mesmerizing. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Nudull

Banned
Haven't been around here in a while, but I'll be trying to catch up from this week on. Also, Voice in the Dark, Saga, Pretty Deadly and Gail Simone's Deadpool this week. <3

Deadpool Classics, Vol. 9
---
A Voice in the Dark #2
Ben 10 #2
Ghost #1
Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #7
Ghostbusters #11
Harley Quinn #1
Itty Bitty Hellboy #5
Pretty Deadly #3
Saga #17
Samurai Jack #3
Superior Spider-Man #24
Teen Titans Go! #1
TMNT New Animated Adventures #6
Young Avengers #14

Filthy Slug

I just re-read Umbral #1 the other day. It's not the kind of thing I usually go for, but dammit, it's good. Beautiful and mesmerizing. Can't wait to see what happens next.

I didn't think it would be as dark as it was, as it set up a really nice, if not cliche, story about a street-urchin thief girl and a rebellious prince who are best friends, and then all hell breaks loose...

And yeah, the art is beautiful. Nice dark purples all over the place and some striking violence--it's a pleasure to look at.

Owzers

Age of Ultron #10 came out on MU today....it's over! I can move on to a different series now, maybe Avengers Arena or Captain Marvel. AoU wouldn't have been so bad at 5 or 6 issues if they just did the Ultron world introduction and then the quagmire of how to deal with it in the next few issues, the closing issue wasn't very good now matter how few issues in the middle though.

edit: This grading scale for Zero has me intrigued, time to read issue #1 today to see if i should order the trade.

Filthy Slug

edit: This grading scale for Zero has me intrigued, time to read issue #1 today to see if i should order the trade.

Try out 1 and then 2 so that you kind of get the concept of the series. One is great but it doesn't show you the bigger picture of what Kot is trying to do with this awesome comic.

Owzers

Are you guys excited for Kot's two new Marvel March 2014 books, Secret Avengers and Iron Patriot?

since i pre-order and would probably get the trade of Zero if i do, all i have is issue #1 since i order any image #1 that looks interesting instead of blindly buying trades.

tim1138

Are you guys excited for Kot's two new Marvel March 2014 books, Secret Avengers and Iron Patriot?

since i pre-order and would probably get the trade of Zero if i do, all i have is issue #1 since i order any image #1 that looks interesting instead of blindly buying trades.

I'm definitely gonna check out Secret Avengers for Kot and Walsh, but nothing short of Jack Kirby returning from the grave to write and draw it could get me to care about an Iron Patriot book.

I'm definitely gonna check out Secret Avengers for Kot and Walsh, but nothing short of Jack Kirby returning from the grave to write and draw it could get me to care about an Iron Patriot book.
I think that and the Bunn Magneto series will be the first to go. Bunn cannot write company comics. They are as bland as Great Value Mac N Cheese. Ghost Rider also scares me because the solicit read like Morbius. He should be dealing with the supernatural not wannabe mexican gangbangers that lament about Mexico but can't speak Spanish.

arkon

Adventure Time #23
Black Science #2
Bravest Warriors #15
Daredevil #34
East Of West #8
FF #15
Imagine Agents #3
Midas Flesh #1
Star Wars Legacy II #10
Transformers Robots in Disguise #24
Umbral #2
Young Avengers #14

Getting about half the titles BOOM are putting out this week. Gotta be some sort of record for me.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yeah, doesn't sound great for Vertigo, but the cause is at least primarily the move rather than internal disarray. Of course, the editorial shakeup coming from the move may end up proving bad in its own right.

tim1138

Yeah, doesn't sound great for Vertigo, but the cause is at least primarily the move rather than internal disarray. Of course, the editorial shakeup coming from the move may end up proving bad in its own right.

Maybe it'll do some good and they'll be able to cut ties with some of the heavy handed editors who have caused problems. And if they're super lucky, maybe Bob Harras won't make the move.

Ephidel

Avengers Assemble #22
Black Science #2
Bloodshot and HARD CORPS #17
Conan the Barbarian #23
Eternal Warrior #4
Locke & Key Alpha #2
Massive #18
Pretty Deadly #3
Saga #17
Umbral #2
Vertigo Essentials 100 Bullets #1
Wake Part One #1
X-Men #8
X-O Manowar #20
Young Avengers #14
Zero #4

Not even Kot's offer? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom