• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be shocked. Considering his output I also wouldn't be surprised if it's a ghost writer situation where he's got a bunch of guys writing the books from vague outlines he gave them. Like what happened with anamorphs.
I don't know what there is to gain by having all his books ghostwritten. Though I do believe it takes place more frequently like Matt Fraction and Kelly Sue DeConnixk. Matt Kindt said he was ghostwriting a lot of Frankenstein before his run started. Though it would be funny if Charles Soule was apseudonym for a specific group of writers that pump out books when yhings go south. But Matt Fraction has fot to be doing drugs again atter this. As an artist, How do you let a lawyer who is writing several more books from you still your biggest shot at comics superstardom? The most iportant book since the Disney acquisition. How bad was this book that they wouldn't let it see the light of day? In a time where they've tried to pass off Fear Itself, Morbius, Age of Ultron, Gillen's Iron Man abortion and Pretty Deadly as acceptable to print books. How could you recover from this?

I think in 20 years we will ostracize art like Aja's, Pulido's, Kowalxhuk, J. Bone, Lieber and Samnee the same way we do Liefeld and the extreme era. It is bound to happen.

Owzers

So just finished InfinitY. And have no fucking clue what I just finished.

Another movie script in comic book form?

Don't worry, no one will remember Infinity by the start of next year, it will be that Thanos/Builders Hickman book. You know, that one.

Disappointed by the lack of Locke & Key Alpha #2 in this thread. I think it was only mentioned 2 or 3 times.

Not many lists have been posted. Don't worry, Comics GAF loves it's Loche & Key.

But what about Joe Hill's latest new joint Wraith: Welcome to Chistmasland? Huh? Anybody but me reading that? Someone actually does a proper horror comic, not gore, not thriller, but genuine horror and it gets a collective shrug. SMDH at you people.

Not many lists have been posted. Don't worry, Comics GAF loves it's Loche & Key.

But what about Joe Hill's latest new joint Wraith: Welcome to Chistmasland? Huh? Anybody but me reading that? Someone actually does a proper horror comic, not gore, not thriller, but genuine horror and it gets a collective shrug. SMDH at you people.

I buy my Locke and Key in trades. Up to volume four I think? Also, I'd be the first to pass just on title alone for a book called "Welcome to Christmasland" ;) Sell me on it.

Owzers

how was Azz's Batman Deathblow 3 issue mini? It's tempting as part of the comixology sale.

Also giving a high recommendation for his Wonder Woman that's on sale, great book.

I buy my Locke and Key in trades. Up to volume four I think? Also, I'd be the first to pass just on title alone for a book called "Welcome to Christmasland" ;) Sell me on it.

Ugly motherfucker has a really messed up childhood. Somehow manages to remain a good guy (uh.. mostly). The world does him wrong one time too many and he snaps and creates an imaginary Christmas-themed amusement park of doom. With the aid (or under the influence of?) his soul-sucking ride, some big classic car called a Wraith. Basically it's one of these dealys that takes you into the psychology/psychosis of a killer in such a way that you see reality as he does. And it is creepy as fuck. I actually felt genuinely afraid near the end of issue one.

Edit: also the title was not his first choice. It's a prequel to Hill's well-received novel NOS4A2 but there was some issue with the rights or sumat.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Ugly motherfucker has a really messed up childhood. Somehow manages to remain a good guy (uh.. mostly). The world does him wrong one time too many and he snaps and creates an imaginary Christmas-themed amusement park of doom. With the aid (or under the influence of?) his soul-sucking ride, some big classic car called a Wraith. Basically it's one of these dealys that takes you into the psychology/psychosis of a killer in such a way that you see reality as he does. And it is creepy as fuck. I actually felt genuinely afraid near the end of issue one.

You should read the novel it's based on - NOS4RA2.

I had no idea who the hell Joe Hill was but the book kept popping up on my goodreads radar...very glad I checked it out.

You should read the novel it's based on - NOS4RA2.

I had no idea who the hell Joe Hill was but the book kept popping up on my goodreads radar...very glad I checked it out.

Yeah, I actually bought the novel for a horror-fiendin' friend for Christmas. Maybe I'll borrow it off her later. She bough me She-Hulk diaries though (w00t), so I gotta read that first.

Cth

Though it would be funny if Charles Soule was apseudonym for a specific group of writers that pump out books when yhings go south. But Matt Fraction has fot to be doing drugs again atter this.

Not to name drop, but..

I worked with Charles Soule on an indy anthology before, so he's definitely real. And Fraction used to ring up my comics back in the day when he worked at the local comic shop :D

Owzers

I'm caught up with Superior Spidey i think....through issue 22. Slott definitely moves the book along but i still don't think it's particularly good.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm caught up with Superior Spidey i think....through issue 22. Slott definitely moves the book along but i still don't think it's particularly good.

Things have felt like they're dragging on and on to me. Really ready for something to happen with the Green Goblin already.

Wolverine and The X-Men #1 art preview

pbScErV.jpg

9sfcey6.jpg

n73NMLw.jpg

Looks like the Bamfs are sort of growing up

Rick Remender talks about building a brave new world in Uncanny Avengers (CBR)

CBR: So the end of this 25-issue story is starting to come into sight then?

REMENDER: At this point we've still got 10 issues of it. So we're a little over the half-way point. Then after issue #25 I've got even bigger plans. I know what happens after that issue and it's all the repercussions of the past 25 issues. So it's the kind of escalation and scope that I feel you really have to earn.

I got the ideas approved and everybody at Marvel wanted to do these stories. They didn't even put a clock on things. I did. As I crafted the rest of this story I kept thinking, "How do I get to this point?" And a lot of what happens in the first 25 issues is seeding what's going to come up after that. It's all going to continue to feed into bigger and crazier things.

CBR: So if everything goes according to plan you'll be on this book for some time? You've got plans beyond these first 25 issues?

REMENDER: Yeah, who knows how long any of these things will last? But I know right now the story I've got done is 34 issues. 25 is the big set up and then the next eight issues being the biggest thing I've done. I know how it all breaks down and what the effects are on the cast and other characters in the Marvel Universe. So I would say that you could definitely expect at least 34 issues from me.
We aren't even close to seeing Remender's final form yet. :D

Some character designs and preview art.

Sombedoy keep pestering that pumk bitch about his series with Tocchini. And I guess issue 25 is when it will restart with a new number one as Inhuman Avengers.

Nudull

Banned

Hey, I'm still recovering from christmas shopping, what do you want from me? ;_;

Ragnaroz

Hi, ComicGAF, I'm coming to you with a bit of a problem.

For some time I have toyed with the idea of taking up some DCU and I have recently watched most of their animated stuff. About a week ago I got a tablet, so I have decided to start reading comic books again, and i've been going through some X-men(and enjoying them a lot) but i decided I want a taste of the other side of the spectrum.

Now, since I'm currently reading the X-Men storylines from the 70s, I kind of want to avoid putting myself through more bad art with DC as well, so I've scraped anything pre-97'(the start of JLA).

What I need are some suggestions as to where to start, what to read, what not to read and the like. Alongside JLA and the big crossover events, I'm interested in Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow and Superman(although not as much as the first 3). When it comes to Batman, I have already found a pretty nice reading list, but the other ones evade me. I guess everyone knows what a clusterfuck DCU can be, especially for a newbie. xD

I don't need actual reading orders(not saying that they wouldn't be appreciated though), but I very much need some general guidelines. The first one would be where to start. I've been reading around and found that some people recommend Identity Crisis as a solid starting point, but I feel I'd miss out on a lot of stories because it did start 7 years after JLA.

Green Lantern: Secret Origin is a pretty good intro to GL. From there, you can go to Rebirth and then the rest of the Johns run, starting with the TP titled "No Fear." There are reading lists for that one, I don't remember the order.

also I don't know who told you Identity Crisis was a good starting point. I doubt that it's a good one. most here would probably tell you that it's not a good point to hit at all, really

Ragnaroz

Green Lantern: Secret Origin is a pretty good intro to GL. From there, you can go to Rebirth and then the rest of the Johns run, starting with the TP titled "No Fear." There are reading lists for that one, I don't remember the order.

also I don't know who told you Identity Crisis was a good starting point. I doubt that it's a good one. most here would probably tell you that it's not a good point to hit at all, really
Thanks for this, pretty much what I had in mind and you've helped me find a reading order.

Is this good?
http://www.comicvine.com/profile/cubicturtle/lists/green-lantern-reading-order-list/42561

So glad Uncanny Avengers is coming into its own the first arc may have been sluggish start but every since the fifth issue it's been nothing but greatness.

Vibranium

Banned
I think in 20 years we will ostracize art like Aja's, Pulido's, Kowalxhuk, J. Bone, Lieber and Samnee the same way we do Liefeld and the extreme era. It is bound to happen.

As far as I go, Aja and Samnee will forever be some of the greatest artists in comics, I'll never make fun of their style. Ever.

Plus Aja drew one of the only non-goofy HYDRA designs in Immortal Iron Fist, that Marvel abandoned because various artists refuse to admit this is superior to their classic ugly suits. I hope the organization gets a redesign along these lines sometime. Perfect mix of supervillainy and real world.

Hey ComicGAF, is the current World's Finest series worth checking out? I was a big fan of Amanda Conner's Power Girl series before the New 52 shenanigans. Will I like the new series?

Hey ComicGAF, is the current World's Finest series worth checking out? I was a big fan of Amanda Conner's Power Girl series before the New 52 shenanigans. Will I like the new series?

The first few issues started a little rough and honestly the title has meandered a little bit. There is a central theme and focus
Power Girl's desire to get back to her Earth, of Earth 2
, but the real meat and potatoes comes from the friendship between Power Girl and Huntress; I don't think it goes quite near the "D'awww" level that Peegee and Terra ever went but it's quite believable. Also, it has a couple issues with Huntress and
Damian
that are adorable.

The next few issues are going to be a crossover with Batman/Superman which promises to be interesting as it will be their first meeting.

Owzers

Ok great, thanks!

there's an omnibus coming out in march/april-ish, and it's probably up on Marvel Unlimited too.

I was glad that i saw Marvel updated its MU app on the google play store....before opening it and not noticing any change with it's completely messed up reader.

KePoW

Banned
I was glad that i saw Marvel updated its MU app on the google play store....before opening it and not noticing any change with it's completely messed up reader.

Yeah I've said this before a couple times... the MU app's viewer is completely total crap. I mean like seriously bad.

It's such a shame because MU is a good deal otherwise.

The first few issues started a little rough and honestly the title has meandered a little bit. There is a central theme and focus
Power Girl's desire to get back to her Earth, of Earth 2
, but the real meat and potatoes comes from the friendship between Power Girl and Huntress; I don't think it goes quite near the "D'awww" level that Peegee and Terra ever went but it's quite believable. Also, it has a couple issues with Huntress and
Damian
that are adorable.

The next few issues are going to be a crossover with Batman/Superman which promises to be interesting as it will be their first meeting.

I'm a big fan of the characters, so I'll probably check it out. I can grab the first two trades with my next IST order since I need to get Empowered 8 anyway.

Aquaman #25... was... awesome. Loved everything about it. The art, the pacing, the teaser. That was a hell of a finish and a hell of a teaser/opener. Can I also add how great it is that they are showing how Badass Mera's powers really are?

Paul Pelletier does some Goddamn amazing line work through the book. So much detail. Hats off to the inker/colorist team too. So many pages I'd love to own from this issue.

tim1138

Aquaman #25... was... awesome. Loved everything about it. The art, the pacing, the teaser. That was a hell of a finish and a hell of a teaser/opener. Can I also add how great it is that they are showing how Badass Mera's powers really are?

Paul Pelletier does some Goddamn amazing line work through the book. So much detail. Hats off to the inker/colorist team too. So many pages I'd love to own from this issue.

And on the flipside of that is Vibe. A terrible last issue that ends with the introduction of a plot point that will likely never be addressed or mentioned again.

And on the flipside of that is Vibe. A terrible last issue that ends with the introduction of a plot point that will likely never be addressed or mentioned again.

Yeah, that really is a shame. Doesn't surprise me though as he was just getting into an arc when it was canceled whereas at least the shit show that is Katana was still in its first arc and could end, albeit slightly rushed.

RIP in peace Vibe.

Here's my thing. Im very grateful for the their to be a Vibe series. But if we got ten issues of low selling why not a few more? There is so much garbage that has lasted longer and sold just as bad. It couldn't ride out four more months for Forever Evil? Why in the fuxk is the Phantom Stranger still around?

I wish there was color or tones like the cover in The Saviors. This is not manga, i need color is my books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom