• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

vocab

Haven't had that problem with amazon yet. But that shit happened to me with fables 4 from some seller. I haven't decided what to do, but its a hassle to deal with returns outside of well known companies.

A couple boxes for my LCS got delayed by the snowstorm, so they won't be showing up until later. Miraculously, though, I'm only missing two books from my pull-list. Those being Pretty Deadly #3, and X-Men #8.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I read half of Nowhere Men last night. It's quite interesting, not exactly sure where it's heading. The article and graphic design interludes are nicely done, helping fill in character details and setting the world atmosphere without diving up its own ass like when Alan Moore does background text for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Blader

I jumped off after issue 3, how is it now? And is the art good? It was fucking horrific in the issues I read.

It's approaching UXF levels - not that good (yet), but it's finally starting to feel like the spiritual sequel that Remender promised.

That first arc was terribad and some of the following issues were up and done, but I think around #10 or so it really found its groove and been consistently great since.

kswiston

Avoiding reading all of your spoilers until I can get through my books, but it amused me to look through next week's releases and see that I will be buying every title published by Marvel and DC that week :p

Well maybe. We'll see about Origin 2

Adding my voice to the chorus of love for Uncanny Avengers, this issue was some seriously entertaining comics.

This is the part where they fall down, and it is glorious.

Wiseblade

Hey guys, I've never read an x-book before. Is all new X-Men a good place to start? My previous mutant exposure comes from watching the various X-Men cartoons, the movies and playing Capcom fighting games. I've read AvX, by the way.

Also, I kind of hate Cyclops. I don't know if that matters.

Hey guys, I've never read an x-book before. Is all new X-Men a good place to start? My previous mutant exposure comes from watching the various X-Men cartoons, the movies and playing Capcom fighting games. I've read AvX, by the way.

If you want to start with Marvel NOW, sure, All-New is a good place to start. I think it has started to drag, but it was pretty good until Battle of the Atom. Personally, I'd go back to Schism (the beginning of the Wolverine/Cyclops split), then Wolverine and the X-Men.

You could go back even farther to Grant Morrison's New X-Men or Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, both good starting points.

Love how this storyline feels like one big event comic. The last page managed to be completely badass and hammy at the same time.

This.

I keep waiting for this shit to slow down, or have a dull issue. NOPE. Unclear on when exactly this is supposed to be happening though. Cap went into space during infinity (which..doesn't seem to be an issue for him at all here) and wolverine lost his healing factor, but clearly has it as of oh...last issue.

Top tier X book runs over the past 5-10 years:

Morrison's New X-Men
Whedon's Astonishing X-Men
Remender's Uncanny X-Force
Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men
David's X-Factor

All of them should be available in trades at this point.

This.

I keep waiting for this shit to slow down, or have a dull issue. NOPE. Unclear on when exactly this is supposed to be happening though. Cap went into space during infinity (which..doesn't seem to be an issue for him at all here) and wolverine lost his healing factor, but clearly has it as of oh...last issue.

Marvel are definitely building up to the whole "time is broken" thing they've been teasing since the Heroic Age. Can anyone see any mention of the events of UA in Future Iron Man's timeline? That quote about Kang putting an army together looks interesting right now, eh?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Superior Spider-Man Team Up 8 was great, until the last pages kinda ruined it. I knew something like that would happen, but the brusque transition and the in your face dialog bothered me.

Marvel are definitely building up to the whole "time is broken" thing they've been teasing since the Heroic Age. Can anyone see any mention of the events of UA in Future Iron Man's timeline? That quote about Kang putting an army together looks interesting right now, eh?

Actually...you may have something there. "Kang's Forces" diagram has six lines. Time was split into 7 "prime" timelines (as in..they all count) and Kang ran around taking forces from them.

Spider Girl from Earth X (2033)
Doom from 2099
Stryfe from Cable's future in 3806
Abomination/Deathlok from 2055
Arno Stark from 2020
Ahab from Red Skull's 2014- which should be the prime "616" timeline, just 3 months from now
Magistrate (Elizabeth?) Braddock from 2043.

I see six lines in addition to the prime timeline, so that's a hell of a hint.

The way this is looking is that once the Tachyon emitters on the Apocatwins ship is destroyed Kang can attack. He chose each of them to counter them in some way. Thinking that the Apocatwins now exist out of timelines and once they die, the events are cancelled. Remender will probably pull some strings to have them remember it all. Something about Tachyon exposure.

Also hoping Sunfire is the one to destroy the emitters. Have the arrogant self absorbed ass save the day.

Would be glorious.

Tizoc

GAF any word on if John Rogers' Dungeons and Dragons run will continue?
His book was the one time I actually enjoyed anything D&D related far as comic books go.

Cheska

Damn, what a great week of comics!! I got through most of my pull this week, only have East of West, Young Avengers and Umbral to go through.

Harley Quinn #1 was great! This series has been my first exposure to Chad Hardin (that I can remember) and I love his art work.
I especially enjoyed how she saved the dog in the beginning and how she now has this band of misfits to essentially call family.

Avengers Assemble #22 continues to prove to me that Jessica Drew is my new favorite Marvel hero. I can't help but smile everytime there's a Spider-Woman/Hulk scene.

Pretty Deadly #3, FINALLY! Last issue was good, but this one definitely kicked it up a notch and answered questions.

Saga #18 :O :O :O DAMN!

Black Science #2 at least opened us up to a few more characters. It doesn't necessarily have the same BANG that the first issue did, but I still found it plenty enjoyable.

Wonder Woman #26
I felt has been the weakest of the bunch. And I miss Cliff's art..

Locke and Key ended fabulously with what it did best, hitting me right where it hurts.

Scarlet Spider ended okay. I'm excited for New Warriors.

As many of you have said, Uncanny Avengers was crazy in the best sense.

Edit:
Also, Daredevil:
PLEASE DON'T DO IT WAID

Vibranium

Banned
Thor was great this week, almost done with the Malekith arc. I had to lol at the crazy letter writer in the issue complaining about Thor's outfit, it looks awesome to me. Plus he wears his sleeves in team books for larger scale battles. Probably one of the diehards who still want Cap running around in goofy pirate boots and a spandex cowl, when he's a goddamn super-soldier.

Uncanny Avengers was also great because there was none of that Wanda/Wonder Man crap, I pegged where I'm frustrated with the book and it's them. Have Wanda utilize relationships with other members of the Unity Squad. Amazing action this week with Wasp and Thor being awesome.

Cheska

Damn, apparently Rachel Rising may get canned due to low sales. That would be a major bummer, I binge read and caught up with the series and have found it to be real work of art.

MartyStu

Wut. Are you even reading this, or is this just a judgement from the concept alone? Because honestly, the book has been really good so far, imo.

Concept aside, the book has been absurdly good: the closest we have gotten to a consistently good Justice League or Superman book.

X-23 has more dialogue in this week's ANXM #20 than in all of her past appearances. Combined.

And it's all Bendispeak.

...Why?

Penance.

Since it can't make my Top 10 of 2013 (needs 5 releases), only after 2 issues I can already tell that Black Science will win my Best New Series of 2013 and if it keeps up the quality next year and does not suffer long delays, might be a top pick for 2014. Love the Sliders and Quantum Leap premise.

Another great comixology sale this week, they have 24 (should be 25) DC trades at $6 each, including ASS, Final Crisis, V for Vendetta, The Killing Joke, Batman Year One, DKR, the Long Halloween, Hush, Kingdom Come and the first Sandman, Y and Fables trades.

And yeah, I guess Watchmen should be that 25th.

East of West was so gooood.

Read the first 2 issues of Umbral and I really enjoyed them. I will continue to buy it.

Not one bad book this week.

Owzers

Another great comixology sale this week, they have 24 (should be 25) DC trades at $6 each, including ASS, Final Crisis, V for Vendetta, The Killing Joke, Batman Year One, DKR, the Long Halloween, Hush, Kingdom Come and the first Sandman, Y and Fables trades.

Just saw it, all star superman is a must buy at $6 for all 12 issues. I've read almost everything on that list...

And I double dipped on all star.....absolute edition and now digital

Just saw it, all star superman is a must buy at $6 for all 12 issues. I've read almost everything on that list...

And I double dipped on all star.....absolute edition and now digital
Yeah, I use these sales mostly to double dip on my stuff from my hardcover collection.
Having all that stuff on my iPad wherever I go is awesome as I tend to travel a lot.

HIT (#4 of 4) and BUZZKILL (#4 of 4) were both really good mini-series , both had great endings and art was really good.

Saga was a little nuts.

Locke & Key Alpha 2...

wave_of_feels-18739.gif
wave_of_feels-18739.gif
wave_of_feels-18739.gif

The most goddamned feels ever. Anyone who didn't read this book hates comics.

How is that trade of JLA by Grant Morrison ?

"Leave me alone, Hannah."

*sniff*

Guys, I can't even begin to process the maelstrom of emotions that Empowered Volume 08 has stirred within me. Up and down, around and around... I think I'm gonna go watch a movie or do some work outside or something; I need a distraction now.

I will say this, though: whoever out there keep asking Adam when the end of Empowered is coming, STOP THAT S**T RIGHT NOW. >:|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom