• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frye

Maybe it'll do some good and they'll be able to cut ties with some of the heavy handed editors who have caused problems. And if they're super lucky, maybe Bob Harras won't make the move.

They'll lose some decent ones too along the way too, unfortunately. Wil Moss (who's doing the Green Arrow, Flash, Suicide Squad, and Trinity of Sin books) just left for Marvel a few days ago.

Cheska

I wish I had looked into Umbral earlier, it definitely looks like something that would be up my alley. Hoping to snag a copy of 1&2 on Wednesday.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Got a question for comic GAF.

Finished Neil Gaiman's Sandman a couple of weeks ago and I'm half way through Transmetropolitan. Could you guys, and gals, point me in the direction of a series with some quality approaching this caliber with the same kind of creativity of Sandman or even Bone?

On the other hand, do you have any suggestions for something humerous along the lines of Chew and Atomic Robo? (Monthly waiting time for releases of Chew are getting me down)

for humor, i've enjoyed Nextwave Agents of Hate the most. 12 issues of greatness from Ellis and Immonen.

Came in here to suggest this. So yeah, that. If you're up for things that are slightly more adult-oriented, but still nothing near X-rated, you might want to try Butcher Baker The Righteous Maker, as well as Empowered.

midramble

Came in here to suggest this. So yeah, that. If you're up for things that are slightly more adult-oriented, but still nothing near X-rated, you might want to try Butcher Baker The Righteous Maker, as well as Empowered.

Thanks I'll definitely check them out. Really no limit to adult-orientation especially if it's for effect instead of for appeal. For instance, Wanted was absolutely hilarious.

Acid08

Banned

Finished Neil Gaiman's Sandman a couple of weeks ago and I'm half way through Transmetropolitan. Could you guys, and gals, point me in the direction of a series with some quality approaching this caliber with the same kind of creativity of Sandman or even Bone?

On the other hand, do you have any suggestions for something humerous along the lines of Chew and Atomic Robo? (Monthly waiting time for releases of Chew are getting me down)
Creativity? You should check out King City.

It's ongoing but saga is in that tier. Also look at lucifer an amazing sandman spinoff, preacher, y the last man, Gotham central (a cop book not a bat book), star man, and warren Ellis's planetary.

Humor. Next wave is great. So was early run of slotts she hulk, and empowered in a cheeky way.

midramble

It's ongoing but saga is in that tier. Also look at lucifer an amazing sandman spinoff, preacher, y the last man, Gotham central (a cop book not a bat book), star man, and warren Ellis's planetary.

Humor. Next wave is great. So was early run of slotts she hulk, and empowered in a cheeky way.

I maaaay read a few issues of Saga. From what I have seen of it it looks great, but since I buy most of my comics digital, I might not be able to afford something of that size right now. I may check out lucifer (his character was written wonderfully in Sandman). Thank's for reminding me of preacher, I've still yet to read any of it. I forgot why I was avoiding y the last man. For some reason my subconscious is telling me for the same reasons I avoided morning glories... hmmm what's the synopsis?

Creativity? You should check out King City.

Googled through some cells of King City....... This looks absolutely wonderful.

Messi

I maaaay read a few issues of Saga. From what I have seen of it it looks great, but since I buy most of my comics digital, I might not be able to afford something of that size right now. I may check out lucifer (his character was written wonderfully in Sandman). Thank's for reminding me of preacher, I've still yet to read any of it. I forgot why I was avoiding y the last man. For some reason my subconscious is telling me for the same reasons I avoided morning glories... hmmm what's the synopsis?

You should read Y the last man. It's fantastic.

Y the last man is about a world where every man is wiped out in a disease except one guy named yorrick. And then from there it's about survival, the fallout and reshaping of societies, etc. good stuff. Avoiding morning glories isn't a bad idea. Its like a way more obtuse version of lost but in a monthly format any callbacks are hard to piece. If they pull it off, it could be a great trade read. Well see.

Also for creativity I'd thrown in kabuki. I love David Mack's work. The first trade was a black and white fairly straight forward story he did in college. Later on he starts to bring in different art styles, story telling techniques, word panels, etc.

midramble

You should read Y the last man. It's fantastic.

Is it a looong drawn out SciFi mystery series? I think I overlooked it in the past because, at the time, people were bundling it with long drawn out mysteries with diesel engine, vs hot rod or even sedan, plot movement and action. I like them from time to time, such as Girls, but only in small doses haha.

Owzers

"One of the mainstream comic book industry's biggest rising stars, Soule already writes "Thunderbolts" and the February-debuting "She-Hulk" for Marvel, along with "Superman/Wonder Woman," "Swamp Thing" and "Red Lanterns" at DC Comics, and "Letter 44" at Oni Press."

And that's not too many books to also take on Inhumans? Okay.

ElNarez

Banned

Probably a good thing. The book's due for an artist change once Joe Mad's done his stint, with probably more to come to make up for the lost time, and Fraction is only good when working with artists he's got a certain understanding of (Those issues of Fantastic Four when he started working with Bagley were decent but kinda awkward, whereas his FF with Allred has been solid gold, if you need a recent example of what I'm saying). So getting the guy who's just pumping out scripts left and right (This is Soule's SIXTH ongoing big two title) is a pretty smart thing to do.

And he's still a lawyer on the side. The man is a fucking machine.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
"One of the mainstream comic book industry's biggest rising stars, Soule already writes "Thunderbolts" and the February-debuting "She-Hulk" for Marvel, along with "Superman/Wonder Woman," "Swamp Thing" and "Red Lanterns" at DC Comics, and "Letter 44" at Oni Press."

He's also a practicing attorney.

I have no idea how he even has time for all of these comics, let alone another job.

ElNarez

Banned
Last listmas I gave you my heart
Animal Man #26
Batman and Two-Face #26
Harley Quinn #1 (and I might not even get it because it might not be that funny)
Wonder Woman #26

Black Science #2 (I missed the first issue if there's a reprint I might get that too)
East of West #8
Saga #17
Zero #4

All-New X-Men #20
Daredevil #34
Deadpool #21
Fantastic Four #15
FF #15
Indestructible Hulk #17
Longshot Saves The Marvel Universe #4
Secret Avengers #13
Thor God of Thunder #16
Uncanny Avengers #15
Uncanny X-Force #15
Young Avengers #14

Rafa's boy Rich Johnson said Fraction/Marvel editorial disagreed on how to proceed with the book, probably cuz the entire concept sounds dumb as hell, so he's gone and they got some company man who would play ball. Considering he's working on multiple DC books like the hella forced/contrived Superman/Wonder Woman, I wouldn't put it past him.

/cynical
/glasshalfempty

JEKKI

I was gonna pick up Inuman but with Fraction off no more lol;

guess it's time to go back and read the rest of his Iron Man instead.

is any of his other older stuff any good? (beside Iron Fist & Casanova)

I got halfway thru Defenders and thought wow, this is a real pointless book o_O

arkon

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye. It gets more serious as the series progresses but there's a strong element of humour throughout.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
He's also got that Ody-C book on the way

I forgot about that, and now I'm really happy that you reminded me. The Odyssey is a fantastic story and Gerry Dugan and Phil Noto's Infinite Horizon proves that it translates incredibly well to comics, especially when you throw it into the future.

Rafa's boy Rich Johnson said Fraction/Marvel editorial disagreed on how to proceed with the book, probably cuz the entire concept sounds dumb as hell, so he's gone and they got some company man who would play ball. Considering he's working on multiple DC books like the hella forced/contrived Superman/Wonder Woman, I wouldn't put it past him.

/cynical
/glasshalfempty

Honestly that's kind of what it seems like. Guy can just pump out books. As a relative newcomer, I'm curious to see what his output will be a year from now.

Empowered Volume 8
Itty Bitty Hellboy #5

Animal Man #26
Batman And Two-Face #26
Fables Volume 19 Snow White
Forever Evil Rogues Rebellion #3
Harley Quinn #1
Supergirl #26
Trinity Of Sin Pandora #6

Red Sonja #6

Pretty Deadly #3
Umbral #2

All-New X-Men #20
Daredevil #34
Fantastic Four #15
FF #15
Superior Spider-Man #24
Uncanny Avengers #15
X-Men #8

Damn!

List, copy and pasting using my phone.

OCT130201 BATMAN AND TWO FACE #26 $2.99
OCT130185 HARLEY QUINN #1 $2.99
OCT130139 TRINITY OF SIN PANDORA #6 (EVIL) $2.99
OCT130632 A VOICE IN THE DARK #2 [DIG] $3.99
OCT130593 BLACK SCIENCE #2 CVR A SCALERA & WHITE (MR) [DIG] $3.50
SEP130618 EAST OF WEST #8 [DIG] $3.50
OCT130617 REVIVAL #16 (MR) [DIG] $2.99
OCT130619 SAGA #17 (MR) [DIG] $2.99
OCT138102 UMBRAL #1 2ND PTG (MR) $2.99
OCT130630 UMBRAL #2 (MR) [DIG] $2.99
OCT130688 SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #24 $3.99

Cheska

All I want for Christmas is this list

Harley Quinn #1
Wonder Woman #26

Black Science #2
East of West #8
Pretty Deadly #3
Saga #17
Umbral #1
Umbral #2

Avengers Assemble #22
Young Avengers #14

Blader

Wait wait, Young Avengers is ending?!

Damn. It got off to a bumpy first couple issues but the book has been stellar. Kieron's good books just can't catch a break.

^^^It was a creative decision.

List

Pick Up
East of West #8
Zero #4
FF #15

DCBS
Black Science #2
Pretty Deadly #3
All-New X-Men #20
Superior Spider-Man #24
Thor God of Thunder #16
Uncanny Avengers #15
Young Avengers #14

Comixology is hosting a sale on the works of Brian Azzarello!

New 52 Wonder Woman issues #1 through #24 are 99 cents a piece. GO GO GO! I can't recommend this run enough. Also, Flashpoint - Batman: Knight of Vengeance!

/cynical
/glasshalfempty

Charles Soule's Swamp Thing is just stellar. His take is leagues above Snyder's initial Rotworld arc and stands as a shining example of his creative ability. I think it's criminal that his run is being overlooked when discussing his replacement of Fraction on Inhuman. Soule's creative output so far has given me no reason to doubt Marvel's decision here. He has even turned Red Lanterns into a readable book.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

/cynical
/glasshalfempty

I wouldn't be shocked. Considering his output I also wouldn't be surprised if it's a ghost writer situation where he's got a bunch of guys writing the books from vague outlines he gave them. Like what happened with anamorphs.

ElNarez

Banned
Wait wait, Young Avengers is ending?!

Damn. It got off to a bumpy first couple issues but the book has been stellar. Kieron's good books just can't catch a break.

Now to be fair, they're ending it on their own terms, and we get New Phonogram next year. Plus, Marvel can't be dumb enough to not give them some more work. It's all fine.

/cynical
/glasshalfempty

Wut. Are you even reading this, or is this just a judgement from the concept alone? Because honestly, the book has been really good so far, imo.

midramble

Thanks for all the suggestions. Got a pretty good list now and soon going to have an empty wallet.

Sooo, how does this thread work in general? For instance, what are these "list"s that people are posting?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Nowhere Men and Aquaman Vol 2 are my last comics purchases for the year.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Got a pretty good list now and soon going to have an empty wallet.

Sooo, how does this thread work in general? For instance, what are these "list"s that people are posting?

The lists are what comics people are getting from this week's releases.

As for how the thread works, it's a free-for-all outside of some loose rules about spoilers (check the bottom of the first post). It's a pretty broad thread. Talk about whatever comics-related topic you'd like, there are usually multiple conversations happening at once and the subjects shift and branch constantly.

For instance, what are these "list"s that people are posting?

As mentioned these are typically pull lists of what comics that person is getting. Posting them is both fun, because who doesn't like lists, but it can be a great way to see general trends of what books are popular (here) and to become exposed to titles that one may not have noticed or missed.

Ephidel

As mentioned these are typically pull lists of what comics that person is getting. Posting them is both fun, because who doesn't like lists, but it can be a great way to see general trends of what books are popular (here) and to become exposed to titles that one may not have noticed or missed.
And it works!
Without the lists (and general discussion that arises from them) I doubt I'd ever have picked up Zero. Initially I'd just written it off as 'not my kind of thing', but the enthusiasm kind of wore me down, and having tried it I'm actually really enjoying it :)

It also gives us warm fuzzy feelings when we see titles we're reading on other people's lists, especially for those titles we generally know are going to fail in the long run because nobody is reading them. It feels good to know somebody is. Or maybe that's just me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom