• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my thing. Im very grateful for the their to be a Vibe series. But if we got ten issues of low selling why not a few more? There is so much garbage that has lasted longer and sold just as bad. It couldn't ride out four more months for Forever Evil? Why in the fuxk is the Phantom Stranger still around?

I wish there was color or tones like the cover in The Saviors. This is not manga, i need color is my books.

Both companies just need to be willing to have a branch of their line for low selling titles. I understand the need for overhead and the like but they just gotta let some titles exist in the 15k bracket, especially if the sales are stable.

tim1138

I hate that the Image stuff doesn't get updated on comixology until later in the morning. Stupid having to wait to read Zero.

Isak_Borg

I'm just kvetching because I can't read Zero or Manhattan Projects on the bus during my morning commute.

Yeah, I usually download the DC titles before I hop on the train in the morning so I can cleanse my palate with the Image and Marvel titles when I get into work.

Splatt

Locke & Key Alpha 2...

wave_of_feels-18739.gif
wave_of_feels-18739.gif
wave_of_feels-18739.gif

Messi

Yay I got the last one of the awesome variant Harley covers. But my store also were sold out of Black Science so I had to go to the other store and overpay. I hate that store.

I seen the Harley bombshell statue. Want. Please tfaw, take mine off backorder and send it to me. I pre-ordered it weeks ago :(. What's going on with backorders on that statue? I see it's gone from the site too.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm a big fan of the characters, so I'll probably check it out. I can grab the first two trades with my next IST order since I need to get Empowered 8 anyway.

The Power Girl in New 52 is not like the Power Girl from the Conner/Palmiotti/Grey stories. World's Finest is OK, but nowhere near as good as the old PG series that they did was.

I'm going to say this again, the biggest problem with Vibe was the complete lack of pay off. There was nothing to generate buzz, and the story pace, like a lot of the rest of the N52 was glacial. If they wanted to get people into Vibe they should have launched it with a 3 issue arc that just dropped some crazy bombs. Instead of slow story with hints after hints after hints of no pay off.

Don't get me wrong I like the character and the book, but it really needed something big to get other people to notice it and read it. The way they handled that, it was never going to take off and break the 15k mark.

It's like the Darksied's daughter thing, could have been a huge payoff that brought in readers. It was never mentioned again, ever.

tim1138

I'm going to say this again, the biggest problem with Vibe was the complete lack of pay off. There was nothing to generate buzz, and the story pace, like a lot of the rest of the N52 was glacial. If they wanted to get people into Vibe they should have launched it with a 3 issue arc that just dropped some crazy bombs. Instead of slow story with hints after hints after hints of no pay off.

Don't get me wrong I like the character and the book, but it really needed something big to get other people to notice it and read it. The way they handled that, it was never going to take off and break the 15k mark.

It's like the Darksied's daughter thing, could have been a huge payoff that brought in readers. It was never mentioned again, ever.

And probably never will be again.

It kinda feels like Vibe and Katana (since GH said it only had one story arc) were supposed to be limited series but DC forgot to tell anyone.

In Vibe's case, I think Gates could have done interesting things on the book with the multiverse but for whatever reason didn't. Maybe he thought it was going to last longer than 10 issues and that stuff was coming next year? Who knows. I will be amazed if Vibe is still a member of any of the Justice League when Forever Evil ends.

Vibe felt like it shifted gears a few issues in, likely due to declining sales (the parallel/companion to JLA not working out) and creative team change (they had that TV guy doing it?) whereas Katana is a coherent, if bad, run by Nocenti.

I think it boils down them being victims of DC's "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" phase when they were doing regular waves. Some have found success this way, such as Earth 2 and Worlds Finest, but most didn't.

And probably never will be again.

It MIGHT like 5 years from now. Since she was also mentioned during the original JL Darkseid story when Batman is sneaking around Darkseid's lair. It's mentioned that the reason Darkseid keeps invading these Earth's is because he's looking for his daughter. Though you're probably right.

It kinda feels like Vibe and Katana (since GH said it only had one story arc) were supposed to be limited series but DC forgot to tell anyone.

In Vibe's case, I think Gates could have done interesting things on the book with the multiverse but for whatever reason didn't. Maybe he thought it was going to last longer than 10 issues and that stuff was coming next year? Who knows. I will be amazed if Vibe is still a member of any of the Justice League when Forever Evil ends.

I just feel like this is one of those cases where Editorial should have stepped in a said, no we're not starting a series with a 10 - 12 issue arc. These are not house hold name characters, do something big and fast out the gate.

I think they'll keep the character around after Forever Evil, same with Katana. I actually think he might show up in other books though, like Teen Titans.

I think the Arkham Origins Deathstroke figure looks pretty boss myself. Also, there are several Heroclix versions of him that are quite awesome.

My next one will be the Play Arts Kai version next year. It is from Origins. Mattel is making one that looks the same but it is smaller.

I'll get the party started;

Harley Quinn #1. Pretty cool start to the book. Rough around the edges but I like the premise. It is like Hawkeye, with it being in the day of the life of Harley. What she is doing when she is not with the Suicide Squad and not with Mr J. When I say rough around the edges I mean there was some corny dialog and some inconsistencies in the drawing of her face.

Batman and TwoFace. Best issue in the arc so far. Great fun and interesting read.

I'm so damn busy this week I probably won't get to read my books till Saturday, and that makes me sad. I want to discuss!

Tell me about it. I don't get my comics til later in the evening today and I'll probably be asleep (because of the nightowl schedule I keep). On top of that I am still catching up on stuff that I got 1-3 weeks ago. Just finished Red Sonja #5. Twist surprised me. Looking forward to the "conclusion" of the arc.

Also, sounds like standard Palmiotti dialogue, Korupt. There were some eye raisers in the Power Girl run at times. But it tends to smooth over in the long run.

I'm off on Wednesdays so it helps get some reading in. Sit on the comfy couch while my wife watches TV, put my headlamp on and my headphones on and listen to some white noise and just read. If I don't read everything today it will take me a awhile to read the rest.

Fraction, alsono comment on inhumanity

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=49794
"This is just an instance where we -- meaning Marvel and the writer, Matt Fraction -- came to the realization that we weren't on the same page, we probably never would be, and no one would benefit if we tried to force it to work," Alonso told CBR. "The series that Matt wanted to write would have been good, no doubt about it, but it was not the series we need to lay the foundation for this new universe within the Marvel Universe.

"The reason this [creative shift] came about a bit late is because of the mutual respect we've built over ten-plus years, and, well, because we really wanted it to work out," Alonso added.

"As un-dramatic and uninteresting as it sounds, my version of 'Inhuman' wasn't what they were into and, y'know, it's their company," Fraction said, concurring with Alonso's take on the situation. "It's a legit case of 'creative differences' in spite of everyone's best intentions. After what? Five or six months where this has been my primary focus and we're still not on the same page -- I can't say they didn't try, they can't say I didn't try, and at some point, you gotta move on. It happens.

Owzers

I'm off on Wednesdays so it helps get some reading in. Sit on the comfy couch while my wife watches TV, put my headlamp on and my headphones on and listen to some white noise and just read. If I don't read everything today it will take me a awhile to read the rest.

I too enjoy listening to Michael Keaton movies while reading comics.

tim1138

Has anyone read Ray Fawkes' One Soul ogn? I started it on my lunch break and got about halfway through it and am really enjoying it. It's an interesting take on the nine panel style of comic storytelling. You basically treat every page as a double page spread made up of 18 individual panels. Each panel tells the story of a different character in a different era but at the same time they are all connected by the same overarching narrative. I'm really looking forward to finishing it on my commute home. I'm enjoying it more than anything that was released this week (even Zero!) if for no other reason than the concept of it.

I think Pretty Deadly broke Rafa.
Can't make a briken man nroke, Butterfly. Shall we return to the story or play? I teach you how to make Death's Bed. Get in his sheets, make his toescurl and play piano, Bunny.

Fraction got bum rushed by the ultimate company man. That Paul Bunyan allegory. That mutual admiration. What will be his pity book? Taking aheroes for Hire from Bendis? Stilt Man?

Read Trinity of Sin Pandora which continues the Forever Evil Blight story and it has been fun so far. Aside from some atrocious art in some of the books, the story has been really good.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Good news! My Nowhere Men Vol.1 finally arrived!

The bad news are self-explanatory.

xRPdrl7.jpg

Sigh, now I'll have to deal with customer service...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom