• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Zombine

Banned
allred-ff.jpeg

Zombine

Banned
Invinvible put me to sleep. This arc is moving at a snails pace and I'm kind of tired of "Life is great even though everyone is dead" slice of life stuff. Kirkman is stalling and the next issue is going to be more of the same.

Cheska

Alright so I know there have been qualms about Batgirl in here before, but I found issue 39 to be reaaally good. Definitely a bit of a mind fuck, but there were some legit good moments in there.

ElNarez

Banned
I will attempt to sum up Uncanny X-Men 31 in one image:

694.png

I dunno, to me it was the only logical solution. It made sense. It led to great character bits, especially with Eva. I don't say that often, but : y'all are just hatin'.

Speaking of the concept of hate, GOD DAMN, the new Loki. Al Ewing pulling it all together. ALL OF IT. Including fucking Siege. It's beast-mode shared continuity based storytelling. NEXT LEVEL WRITING.

And that last page is PRETTY, PRETTY NICE.

Speaking of the concept of hate, GOD DAMN, the new Loki. Al Ewing pulling it all together. ALL OF IT. Including fucking Siege. It's beast-mode shared continuity based storytelling. NEXT LEVEL WRITING.

And that last page is PRETTY, PRETTY NICE.

So Al Ewing's work is worth checking out? I've never read anything by him.

Reading an interview of Scott McCloud, he was in Austin doing a Q&A that I went to. He mentioned that he thinks in the future most comic readers will actually be girls and women rather than guys. He put the timetable at 5 years. I don't think it'll be that soon but I do think we will see a population shift in the future.

Abso-goddamn-lutely, up to and including his 2000 A.D. stuff.

I agree with this. Loki is secretly one of the best books Marvel puts out. I can't wait to read the new issue later today.

HIs Dredd was also really good, especially Trifecta which was the first official crossover in 2000 AD's history.

tim1138

Lots of good stuff out this week, but Bitch Planet and Tooth and Claw were in a class of their own. Both of those books are just incredible in their own unique way, real top tier stuff.

I dunno, to me it was the only logical solution. It made sense. It led to great character bits, especially with Eva. I don't say that often, but : y'all are just hatin'.
Not really. It took Bendis 7 months of decompressed storytelling to reach this crap conclusion. The only reason I'm not as angry now is that my friend brought 6/8 of these and made me buy 2/8. The character bits was almost everyone shitting on Cyclops again. Lots of wasted potential. Glad to see this end in May.

ElNarez

Banned
Not really. It took Bendis 7 months of decompressed storytelling to reach this crap conclusion. The only reason I'm not as angry now is that my friend brought 6/8 of these and made me buy 2/8. The character bits was almost everyone shitting on Cyclops again. Lots of wasted potential. Glad to see this end in May.

Alternate futures where everything gets fucked up is the goddamn bread and butter of the X-Men, from Days of Future Past to Here Comes Tomorrow. It's just another one of those, attacking what Cyclops had been turning into since AT LEAST Utopia.

Dunbar

Read Batgirl over lunch break. I usually hate
monster retcons
but the reaction to this one is going to be worth it, I think.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I got myself all excited thinking today was Low day, but I just realized it's not till next week =/.

Man, I forgot that was a book, but I'm pretty excited for the next issue. Think Remender and Toccini are finally finding that right groove with this book, and there's finally some reason to care for the characters.

BATGIRL SPOILER WARNING:

New 52 Babs, well, isn't Babs. Oracle is stlll out there, and she's coming to take her identity back.

Just for clarity:
Who is new52 Babs then? Like she ain't Barbara Gordon?

Dunbar

Just for clarity:
It's not clear. The final page is New 52 "Babs" looking into a computer screen while Oracle (presumably) looks out and says she's coming to take her identity back. There's a post on Bleeding Cool that has the full page.

Alternate futures where everything gets fucked up is the goddamn bread and butter of the X-Men, from Days of Future Past to Here Comes Tomorrow. It's just another one of those, attacking what Cyclops had been turning into since AT LEAST Utopia.
Kieron Gillen, Mike Carey (the more recent writers) have told better stories in lesser issues... even disregarding the time travel part, the point is you can't justify 8 issues for what we got in the end here. DoFP, HCT and the recent AoX. You can't really compare this to any of those. The Original Sin storyline move way tooo slow.

Cheska

WTF Remender!? TWO MONTHS until the next issue of Deadly Class!? After that last page the wait is going to be BRUTAL. I seriously hope they release an OHC of this so I can let as many friends borrow my current TPB's, because more people need to read this masterpiece.

But this is the part that makes no sense and pisses me off the most. WHAT DID CYCLOPS DO WRONG? Marvel has been trying and failing to explain to me exactly why all the X-Men now hate Cyclops and How Scott is in the wrong. The Only thing Cyclops has done since Utopia and be right about everything and save the X-men asses.

Magneto claims Scott had a nervous breakdown But where the evidence of that?

Storm, Bobby and Beast have constantly been cunts to him, but none of the characters can state why.

Scott signs everything over to storm ,but that what he said he was going to do before the whole time fuckery shit started.

The most fucked up thing about this story is how They basically erased a Young man from existence for the crime of existing. That was fucked up! Cyclops was talking him down and handling the situation then Shield goes and fucks it up. He then goes to the X-men for help and they Attack him.

The only thing this arch has shown me is the the X-men are fucking useless without Cyclops in charge and calling the shots.

Vibranium

Banned
Invinvible put me to sleep. This arc is moving at a snails pace and I'm kind of tired of "Life is great even though everyone is dead" slice of life stuff. Kirkman is stalling and the next issue is going to be more of the same.

Huh, I thought it moved things along decently, maybe I just like the slice of life stuff. The little Mark/Immortal chat was very important, especially if you remember the future that Invincible visited like 40 issues ago (with those twins).

Messi

WTF Remender!? TWO MONTHS until the next issue of Deadly Class!? After that last page the wait is going to be BRUTAL. I seriously hope they release an OHC of this so I can let as many friends borrow my current TPB's, because more people need to read this masterpiece.

Deadly Class?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's not clear. The final page is New 52 "Babs" looking into a computer screen while Oracle (presumably) looks out and says she's coming to take her identity back. There's a post on Bleeding Cool that has the full page.
This sounds great. I love storys like this.

CBTech

But this is the part that makes no sense and pisses me off the most. WHAT DID CYCLOPS DO WRONG? Marvel has been trying and failing to explain to me exactly why all the X-Men now hate Cyclops and How Scott is in the wrong. The Only thing Cyclops has done since Utopia and be right about everything and save the X-men asses.

Magneto claims Scott had a nervous breakdown But where the evidence of that?

Storm, Bobby and Beast have constantly been cunts to him, but none of the characters can state why.

Scott signs everything over to storm ,but that what he said he was going to do before the whole time fuckery shit started.

The most fucked up thing about this story is how They basically erased a Young man from existence for the crime of existing. That was fucked up! Cyclops was talking him down and handling the situation then Shield goes and fucks it up. He then goes to the X-men for help and they Attack him.

The only thing this arch has shown me is the the X-men are fucking useless without Cyclops in charge and calling the shots.

Agreed completely. I haven't read much of the X-men related material leading up to this current run of Uncanny, but I just can't see why everyone hates Cyclops so much.

Overall, I was disappointed in how this story was resolved.
Just going back in time and erasing the guy's existence was boring. Xavier should have confronted the guy, taught him how to control his powers. The guy revives those he killed and realizing how much of a threat he is, goes off into space or kills himself or something.
The current resolution was just WAY too anti-climactic.

ElNarez

Banned

And all the while he's isolated him and his further and further from humans and mutants alike. Like, the guy was right, but instead of tackling The Actual Issue, he's just gone further and further up his own ass about being a revolutionary with an army and a dream.

I would go further and say, that to some extent, so did Xavier. And that, it's The Actual Issue: Cyclops is being blamed for Xavier's fuck-ups, which include teaching Cyclops to react this way. I've said it before : The X-Men started as an army of child soldiers, and Chuck was the 616 equivalent of Joseph Kony.

And I feel this is literally what Bendis was getting at, ultimately: Charles Xavier was a huge fuck-up. CHARLES XAVIER WAS WRONG.

Zombine

Banned
Wow, Vaughn really took the source material from Kingman and ran with it. The book is good, but the movie has a lot more character.

BATGIRL SPOILER WARNING:

New 52 Babs, well, isn't Babs. Oracle is stlll out there, and she's coming to take her identity back.

........That isn't what happened at all........Its the computer program she wrote (she mentions in multiple past issues about mapping her entire brain in it, come to life. There's nothing about Oracle still being out there, or this not being Babs.

Just going back in time and erasing the guy's existence was boring. Xavier should have confronted the guy, taught him how to control his powers. The guy revives those he killed and realizing how much of a threat he is, goes off into space or kills himself or something.
The current resolution was just WAY too anti-climactic.

Ahm, did they explain how the fuck they got to Victor's time machine? Cuz otherwise i can't see how that resolution would solve anything in the 616 timeline.

Unless the writer has no idea how mahvel time travel works, obv.

Just for clarity:

New 52 Babs is Barbara Gordon, this is the computer program she wrote coming to life. She mapped her entire brain and all her memories into it. This isn't the old school oracle coming back to get her life back or anything like that. Reading comprehension for the win.

Top Bottom