• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Vyer

So I'm cruising down the freeway about 70 headed to work and the window of the rear driver's side door just explodes. Completely blown out, glass flying everywhere. I don't know what the hell happened.

So been dealing with that today, along with the usual kids/family/work stuff. Needless to say I'm just now settling in to read some comics. : /

Zombine

Banned
So I'm cruising down the freeway about 70 headed to work and the window of the rear driver's side door just explodes. Completely blown out, glass flying everywhere. I don't know what the hell happened.

So been dealing with that today, along with the usual kids/family/work stuff. Needless to say I'm just now settling in to read some comics. : /

Microfracture at the weak point in the window. Today was your lucky day.

No fuck that!

1. She and Professor X just wiped a Man from existence. That super villain tier shit right there.

2. She then proceeds to lie to Scott and tell him that him and everyone dying was his fault. Really? Eva? really? It wasn't Scott that dropped a nuke that was shield. It wasn't Scott that tried to brain fuck a Omega class Mutant. That was Storm and the other X-Fuck-ups. It wasn't Scott that caused the situation to began with that was Professor X. How was all that Scott's fault again? Cyclops was the only one that even thought to try and talk to the kid like a human being and was the only one that was being successful and getting the kid to calm down.

3. She Then proceeds to threaten wipe Cyclops from existence. Yeah, That would go over well. Because it not like Cyclops hasn't saved the Planet 14 times.

Fuck you Eva, Cyclops is the only X-Men still acting like a hero.

Really Storm? Really?

1. But did she? Did she really?
Now he never existed, did he? Anyway, the dude was far too powerful and couldn't control himself. He was a threat to everyone. He had to go.

2. Well, Scott was kind of a twat.

3. See above.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Ok PRJ is a must then.

Is this some stealth shade youre throwing? haha

BTW Rafa what are you doing after your last day at evil mart?

Just hopping on the Jesus train and saying buy the shit out of Punk Rock Jesus. It's a bit rushed towards the end, but it's fucking captivating, well-written, and has plenty of motorcycle action, and we all know Sean Murphy draws the best fucking bikes.

Dunbar

Some quick hit thoughts from today's reads.

Uncanny X-Men: Another great issue. Story took forever to get here but it's building a lot of momentum. Can't wait to see what happens before Bendis' run is over.

Tooth & Claw: Probably going to drop it after this one. Nothing against it and I really like the art, but it's a bog standard fantasy story with talking animals.

The Kitchen: Getting better and better. I would really like to see an ongoing series with these characters, or at least set in this universe.

Batgirl: Remains to be seen what the final page actually means, but it's the most interested I've been in this series in a long time.

Wonder Woman: Definitely dropping this for as long as the Finches are writing and drawing it. Bad dialogue, meandering/incoherent story with no drama or tension, and poor art. A swift fall from grace for one of the better New 52 titles.

Manifest Destiny: So happy to have it back. Probably my favorite title being published right now. Another issue just as good as the previous two arcs.

Black Widow: More Natasha doing badass Natasha things. I hope this series survives all of the Secret Wars stuff, or maybe they could put her in a pair-up book.

Messi

Yeah that Batgirl issue was pretty good. Much closer to Babs being Babs. Last page was interesting and I have to say Babs Tarr's art floors me page after page. Such a fantastic look for the book.

Speaking of things that never got cancelled... Holy shit at Lady Machanika being back. Last week they republished #2+3, and #4 was this week. I read the first four issues (#0-3) a few years back when they came out, then nothing.

I'll buy the trade when it comes out. Been way too long for me to pick up the story without starting from the beginning.

Dear Marvel,

In preparation for the movie please re release Christopher priests run of Black panther. It's the run that made me a huge fan. I hate how Marvel ignores it for hudlins nonsense.

CMX a only has one issue of it for sale! At least MU has it

Messi

The art in Silk is beautiful and fits the tone they are going for. I was hoping it would be good but it exceeded my expectations. It gave Silk some character that she was lacking in. I really hope Spider-Gwen nails it also so some good will come from Spider-Verse.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Tokyo Ghost is still a thing, right? Please tell me it never got canceled.
It was originally announced as planned for July 2015, so no reason to be concerned about the lack of solicitation.

I have been down with silk since day one. Love her. Check my post history. Actually don't do that. It's likely very sticky in there.

L-LEWD

The art in Silk is beautiful and fits the tone they are going for. I was hoping it would be good but it exceeded my expectations. It gave Silk some character that she was lacking in. I really hope Spider-Gwen nails it also so some good will come from Spider-Verse.

I like how she spins her own clothes.

Gwen gonna blow the doors off next week.

I've stopped reading Elektra on MU. The story isn't good. But I still flip through the pages to look at the pretty art.

Oh and is Lady Bullseye the least accomplished villian ever? Has she ever won a fight?

Hey guys, I have a question about the new DC event coming this summer called Convergence. Im sure everyone has heard about the new Marvel Secret Wars event and now DC is promoting their own version of this concept and I was wondering where does one start reading to get ready for the event? Is this what Future's End is building too or is it going to be its own thing? All the solicitations call it part 2 of Convergence.

Secret Wars and Convergence are literally building on DECADES of continuity and stories so the jumping on point now would be the events themselves.

In the case of Secret Wars backstory at a minimum you would need to read:

Jonathan Hickman Fantastic Four Omnibus Volume 1
Jonathan Hickman Fantastic Four Omnibus Volume 2
Ultimate Spider-Man by Brian Michael Bendis (the entire run)
Ultimate Doomsday Trilogy by Brian Michael Bendis
Ultimate Comics New Ultimates by Jonathan Hickman
Avengers/New Avengers by Jonathan Hickman
You would also need at least a rudimentary knowledge of the 1984 Secret Wars, 1602 by Neil Gaiman, Spider-Verse, Mark Millar's original run on Ultimates & Jason Aaron's Thor series

For Convergence:

Crisis on Infinite Earths
Zero Hour
Final Crisis
Multiversity
Flashpoint
Justice League by Geoff Johns
Action Comics:The Men of Steel by Grant Morrison
Superman: Doomed
New 52: Future's End
Earth 2 entire series
Earth 2:World's End
Knowledge of DC history including Pre-Crisis/Post-Crisis Pre-Flashpoint JSA, Wally West, Parallax saga, Death of Superman, Grant Morrison's work on Animal Man, JLA, 52, Final Crisis, and Multiversity.

This would be like cramming before the big exam dawg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
If I didn't have so many books to read already, I'd have an easy IST order to make. It would include Punk Rock Jesus since so many of you guys gave it massive praise in the last page or so and I'm a huge Sean Murphy fan.

Alright Wake is definitely off the board but Joe the Barbarian is back on board. I tend to like Morrison even at his weirdest so maybe I'll dig it. Im trying to make it less than $80 so if I get that Omni, I can only get one other book

Really the only thing I loved about Joe the Barbarian was Murphy's art. The story was very underwhelming. Like Tim said, the writing isn't that weird. It's probably the dullest Morrison book I've read. The writing is by no means bad, but just pretty average. The art is exactly what you'd expect.

Fucking Kipp man.

Thanks for ruining Vyer's day Kipp :/

got damn it Kipp

Shoot. I'm sorry guys.

BTW Rafa what are you doing after your last day at evil mart?
My last day was yesterday. I feel so strange. Sad. Depressed. Nostalgic. I'm going to take a few days of vibe tim the channel these feelings into my work. If this what a breakup feels like I never want to fall in love. I just know there is more to life than everyday low prices.

My first idea that I want to develop is about.....mimes!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
#Evawasright

im not down with the cause, im just glad to be vindicated in all this

scott needs to go on a solo journey. or at least partner up with his past self

Dear Marvel,

In preparation for the movie please re release Christopher priests run of Black panther. It's the run that made me a huge fan. I hate how Marvel ignores it for hudlins nonsense.

CMX a only has one issue of it for sale! At least MU has it

theres a large volume run coming out in august

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785192670/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Owzers

Yeah, I heard it. Even Shots, which was an awesome song when they performed at the Grammy awards, is kinda crap here because they added some dumb effect to the vocals.

so far all i liked were Trouble, It Comes Back to You, and I Bet My Life. Maybe they will have a better version of Shots later, i'd like a non-weird version. My favorite songs from them are the Live London Sessions of Demons and It's Time on spotify.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Haha. This is too good. Liefeld on top of his game:

wgBBQy2.jpg

1. But did she? Did she really?
Now he never existed, did he? Anyway, the dude was far too powerful and couldn't control himself. He was a threat to everyone. He had to go.

2. Well, Scott was kind of a twat.

3. See above.

He was never given a chance to learn to control himself. Not Professor-X not Shield, nor the The Jean Grey school was willing to teach him. No body but Scott that is. And he was responding, until Shield blew Cyclops and Magick to hell.

To quote Mathew: " He was trying to help me and they killed him for it."

The X-men and for that matter Professor X has always been about giving Mutants a chance to live some sort of life and to contribute. All of that went out the window this issue.

Also exactly how was/is Cyclops a Twat? Seriously I just don't see it. Every time I ask a Cyclops hater this I've never received much of an answer.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
He was never given a chance to learn to control himself. Not Professor-X not Shield, nor the The Jean Grey school was willing to teach him. No body but Scott that is. And he was responding, until Shield blew Cyclops and Magick to hell.

To quote Mathew: " He was trying to help me and they killed him for it."

The X-men and for that matter Professor X has always been about giving Mutants a chance to live some sort of life and to contribute. All of that went out the window this issue.

Also exactly how was/is Cyclops a Twat? Seriously I just don't see it. Every time I ask a Cyclops hater this I've never received much of an answer.

how many people have called him one? i only see people call him out for his role in a vs x

That's a shame. Invincible is easily my favorite cape book. It's fun, exciting, has wonderful artwork and a fine assortment of exotic alien waifus.
Ottley is the best cape comics artist in the biz. Hope Tech Jadket survives, especially since Rhandolph is getting called up to the majors in We Are Robins. I would kill for more Invincible figs or an animated show.

how many people have called him one? i only see people call him out for his role in a vs x

That's pretty much the source of it.
After he kills Xavier and gets back in his right mind, he's all "boo-hoo, I didn't mean to" before conveniently going "Whelp, gotta go save mutants lololololol".

Cade

After he kills Xavier and gets back in his right mind, he's all "boo-hoo, I didn't mean to" before conveniently going "Whelp, gotta go save mutants lololololol".

Basically this.
Expanding:

After he kills Xavier he has approximately 30 seconds of remorse before immediately deciding that becoming a terrorist makes sense now that the peaceful-ish mutant icon is dead, even after violent mutant aggression obviously not working (see AvX) so he runs around flashing X gang signs and freeing mass murderers from prison and going against everything Jean would've wanted.

Dude's a total fucking hypocrite, Wolverine was right and it's crazy town. I can't believe some people are #TeamSteve in Civil War and #TeamCyclops in other shit, considering while the very base message is the same (freedom), the methods are vastly different and even Steve bowed down to avoid innocent bloodshed, something Cyke would probably scoff at while crossing his arms.

It's a colossal shitstorm and the last few years of the X-Men just competing to see who is the biggest mutant asshole (Xavier's controlling! Namor is a dickbag! Cyclops is even bigger of a dickbag! Storm is an asshole now for some reason! Beast is a giant dick too! Kitty is off in space fucking outlaws and wanting to become a thief because reasons!) is really a bummer to me as someone who used to place the X-Men among his favorites.

I don't think they need to be happy go lucky one-sided people fighting clear-cut bad guys, but this was the wrong way to shake up the status quo and I'm very done with the idea of the X-Men without major reconfiguring. I like the movies because they're still in the infant stage of X-Men when it's a badass idea with cool shit going on and morally grey villains, but if I see like a 50-year-old James Marsden make an X with his arms on camera I'm gonna quit with the movies forever (and no, I'm not forgetting that X-3 was somehow even worse than all the shit I'm posting. It was so bad I thought I might never be able to like anything X-Men again).

just made some bank off a few Saga issues, and about to roll in even more for 11 issues of Snyder Batman. People love first print comics, I guess!

remind me of this post the next time i complain about having to wait for trades or digital sales or somethin

Err....thats not what happened, like at all.

After AvsX Scott was more then content to stay in jail. While in Jail Magneto offered to break him out of jail but Cyclops refused. Even knowing that he would never see a trial and be killed/disappeared by the powers that be.
Hell Wolverine came to that jail with the intent on killing him and Scott was more then willing to let him do it. He didn't even fight back.

No Scott decided to get back into the game become Mr/Ms.Sinister told him stright out that no one else. Not wolverine Not Storm or the Avengers were up to stopping Him and people like him besides Cyclops. And if anything the last Year of X-Books have shown is that X-Men are garbage without Cyclops.

Basically this.
Expanding:

After he kills Xavier he has approximately 30 seconds of remorse before immediately deciding that becoming a terrorist makes sense now that the peaceful-ish mutant icon is dead, even after violent mutant aggression obviously not working (see AvX) so he runs around flashing X gang signs and freeing mass murderers from prison and going against everything Jean would've wanted.

Dude's a total fucking hypocrite, Wolverine was right and it's crazy town. I can't believe some people are #TeamSteve in Civil War and #TeamCyclops in other shit, considering while the very base message is the same (freedom), the methods are vastly different and even Steve bowed down to avoid innocent bloodshed, something Cyke would probably scoff at while crossing his arms.

It's a colossal shitstorm and the last few years of the X-Men just competing to see who is the biggest mutant asshole (Xavier's controlling! Namor is a dickbag! Cyclops is even bigger of a dickbag! Storm is an asshole now for some reason! Beast is a giant dick too! Kitty is off in space fucking outlaws and wanting to become a thief because reasons!) is really a bummer to me as someone who used to place the X-Men among his favorites.

I don't think they need to be happy go lucky one-sided people fighting clear-cut bad guys, but this was the wrong way to shake up the status quo and I'm very done with the idea of the X-Men without major reconfiguring. I like the movies because they're still in the infant stage of X-Men when it's a badass idea with cool shit going on and morally grey villains, but if I see like a 50-year-old James Marsden make an X with his arms on camera I'm gonna quit with the movies forever (and no, I'm not forgetting that X-3 was somehow even worse than all the shit I'm posting. It was so bad I thought I might never be able to like anything X-Men again).

This shows that you have not read a damned thing that Cyclops has done and accomplished the last 5 years. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING Cyclops has done before or since AvsX has been remotely terrorist like.

Has Cyclops given up on Professor X ways? Yep But that because his ways were stupid and ineffective to and have accomplished nothing. That docent make Cyclops wrong or a Terrorist. Cyclops has just run out of fuck to give.

Also it should be noted that for the first time in the history of the marvel universe Masses of Humans have come out in support of mutants and that has largely been due to Cyclops efforts.

Again you call Cyclops a terrorist, Crazy, and a hypocrite but what has he ACTUALLY done to deserve any of those titles?

Top Bottom