• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Fuck Nintendo and most especially fuck Best Buy. I got to the store 10 minutes early and there were only 5 of us in line. When the store opened at 10 we all walked back to the Amiibo section and it was like a landfill. No Meta Knights at all."

And like I said, nobody got Meta Knight. Employees scalped them the night before with 100% certainty.

Toys R Us employees have traditionally done such things for years and years. You know those comic and hobby shops that get all the rare figures? They do it by paying retail employees to grab certain ones when the casepacks get cracked open.

It's a conspiracy, I tells ya.
original.gif

Also, waiting on line for Amiibos. lolololololol

Zombine

Banned
Toys R Us employees have traditionally done such things for years and years. You know those comic and hobby shops that get all the rare figures? They do it by paying retail employees to grab certain ones when the casepacks get cracked open.

It's a conspiracy, I tells ya.
original.gif

Also, waiting on line for Amiibos. lolololololol

I was the most normal guy there. I was proud of myself. I might not get Meta Knight, but at least we know whats up and we'll always have the superior Lucina Figma.

Boogiepop

I know the pain of Amiibos well. After Little Mac I learned not to mess around with them and went full preorder mode, so for now I'll be set once Best Buy finally ships my Mega Man. Keeping a close eye out for Wave 4 preorders though.

Zombine

Banned
I know the pain of Amiibos well. After Little Mac I learned not to mess around with them and went full preorder mode, so for now I'll be set once Best Buy finally ships my Mega Man. Keeping a close eye out for Wave 4 preorders though.

Amazon always worked for me, but that has turned into the go to place for scalpers at this point. I was able to order 90% of wave 3 from there, and I have owned some of the ones that Amiibros are having a hard time acquiring for weeks now (Sonic, Mega Man, ect.)

Li Kao

So are the side bat-books any good ? Specifically...
Arkham Manor
Batgirl
Gotham Academy
Catwoman
Batgirl
Batman and Robin
Gotham by Midnight
Harley Quinn
Batwoman
Batman at the Beach
Batman goes Shopping
etc.

I'm pretty tempted to discover Batgirl at the latest creative team change, sample pages are cool. But apart from that are there must read ? Stinkers ? And with the whole Convergence think approaching does it make sense to begin now ?

Isak_Borg

Arkham Manor
Batgirl
Gotham Academy
Catwoman
Batgirl
Batman and Robin
Gotham by Midnight
Harley Quinn
Batwoman
Batman at the Beach
Batman goes Shopping
etc.

I'm pretty tempted to discover Batgirl at the latest creative team change, sample pages are cool. But apart from that are there must read ? Stinkers ? And with the whole Convergence think approaching does it make sense to begin now ?

Batgirl and Batman & Robin are great.

I try to avoid batbooks since I'm not a huge fan but I think Tomasi has done a great job with B&R.

Zombine

Banned
Arkham Manor- Yes
Batgirl- Yes
Gotham Academy- Yes
Catwoman- Yes
Batgirl- Yes
Batman and Robin- Yes
Gotham by Midnight- Yes
Harley Quinn- Yes
Batwoman- Yes
Batman at the Beach- Yes
Batman goes Shopping- Yes
etc.- Yes

Yes

Uncanny X-Men #31: Huh. Cyclops is still right? It's odd how Bendis can write the world hating on a man, but not actually give them anything concrete to hate.

Dunbar

Arkham Manor
Batgirl
Gotham Academy
Catwoman
Batgirl
Batman and Robin
Gotham by Midnight
Harley Quinn
Batwoman
Batman at the Beach
Batman goes Shopping
etc.

I wouldn't bother with Arkham Manor because it's ending after 6 issues.

New Batgirl and Gotham Academy are both about to finish their first arcs next month before pausing for Convergence. So it's a fine time to start either one. Gotham Academy is one of my favorite DC books.

Oooh man this B1G1 sale could do some damage to my wallet =_____=
I'm fucking loving avengers and new avengers, so I was thinking about using MU to get up to the Time Runs out stuff then just buying everything after.

Just bought all of Ms. Marvel and some Hawkeye. Damnit GAF
Buy Superior Foes of Spider-Man!
I have a thing for small top hats. specifically on women. that gif reminded me.
You'd love K-On
Arkham Manor
Batgirl
Gotham Academy
Catwoman
Batgirl
Batman and Robin
Gotham by Midnight
Harley Quinn
Batwoman
Batman at the Beach
Batman goes Shopping
etc.

Gotham Academy is good
I've only read Batwoman under the original creative team, but that was really great
Harley Quinn is good fun

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
He basically says he's aware of it, but thinks he's written the character as slightly more than the stereotype.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ seemed like it was played pretty straight to me

Thanks, frye. Hopefully there's some nuance to the character/cliche, but I'll have a better opinion after I read the issue next week.

Boogiepop

So, I noticed the TMNT Ghostbusters thing should be done now. For anybody who read it: is it spoilery for the Ghostbusters run? Trying to decide if I need to pick that up and read it first, or if I can use the crossover to get a feel for the series and decide if I want to go back for more.

Anyone on this?

Oh shiiiii. What to buy what to buy??

These Buy 1 Get 1 Free deals on Comixology are a great way to grab stuff that normally won't go on sale. I'd recommend:

Mystic: A way underrated G. W. Wilson join with David Lopez art. This was for the Crossgen label that Marvel bought out ages ago. Actually, all the CrossGen stuff is great, like Ruse & Sigil.
Amazing Spider-man Presents: Black Cat: A delightful DELIGHTFUL series by Jen Van Meter and early Pulido killing it.
Black Panther #39-41: Don't let the fact that it's part of Secret Invasion scare you off. All you need to know is this is Jason Aaron writing Black Panther as a AAA bad ass threat taking down Skrulls.
Iron man 7-12: The early Ellis Extremis story gets all the praise, but this arc by the brothers who created the HBO show Carnival craft a vastly underrated tense thriller.

Owzers

reading the walking dead before my dcbs shipment arrived today killed my new comic box excitement. I now know what my line in the sand comic is.

I emailed the guys from Rogue beer about that Hellboy Right Arm of Doom beer...

"I regret to inform you that this beer is only going to be available for online purchase. I'm sorry to disappoint. Thank you for supporting the revolution. Cheers!"

Well that friggin sucks,,, mainly because shipping is like $20!!! :-/

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yo guys, guess what! Weekend is almost here, so I might actually read some comics in the next couple of days! Cross your fingers.
Maybe I'll at least open my new Absolute Batman & Robin that came in the mail like four days ago (the replacement for my original damaged copy). Surely that counts as reading comics.

I emailed the guys from Rogue beer about that Hellboy Right Arm of Doom beer...

Well that friggin sucks,,, mainly because shipping is like $20!!! :-/

So lame. Why can't one of the billions of San Diego-area breweries make an awesome comics-themed beer?

Fuck Nintendo and most especially fuck Best Buy. I got to the store 10 minutes early and there were only 5 of us in line. When the store opened at 10 we all walked back to the Amiibo section and it was like a landfill. No Meta Knights at all.

After we called them out on their horse shit, some lady who worked there was like "uh...blame uh...nintendo for this one. They uh...they only sent us some for preorders...I mean...there were extras and they were put out. What you see is what you get"

And like I said, nobody got Meta Knight. Employees scalped them the night before with 100% certainty.

I repeat:

Well, there is that big ol' dock workers' strike here on the West Coast. That's probably a major contributor.

Although I should add that Best Buy has been generally awful in terms of amiibo.

I'm glad you guys convinced me to give post-OMD Spider-Man another shot, I've really been enjoying it. But I gotta say, I just finished Shed, and
Dr. Conners killing his son
is some pretty disturbing shit.

Next up is Grim Hunt.

Li Kao

Oh, on the subject of old comic books, in my quest to catch-up with you normal people reading new issues, I... will begin reading Guardians of the Galaxy (2008) tonight.
Yeah, no, I'm not totally stupid, it's just that, how could I pass on some Abnett-space-goodness ?
After all it's just 25 issues... which will be well complemented with Nova (2008)... all of which will lead to War of Kings. And The Thanos Imperative. And the two Annihilators mini. New Guardians, new Nova and... Oh my god. I am fucked.

Top Bottom