• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

E the Shaggy

HHHHNNNGGGG

B-T__a5CcAAa8sQ.jpg:large

IS THAT A FUCKING GHOST RIDER CENTAUR!?!?!

Oh, on the subject of old comic books, in my quest to catch-up with you normal people reading new issues, I... will begin reading Guardians of the Galaxy (2008) tonight.
Yeah, no, I'm not totally stupid, it's just that, how could I pass on some Abnett-space-goodness ?
After all it's just 25 issues... which will be well complemented with Nova (2008)... all of which will lead to War of Kings. And The Thanos Imperative. And the two Annihilators mini. New Guardians, new Nova and... Oh my god. I am fucked.

I definitely recommend starting a bit earlier by following this list (almost everything is on Marvel Unlimited):

frye

Thanks, frye. Hopefully there's some nuance to the character/cliche, but I'll have a better opinion after I read the issue next week.

I think you get the sliver or something in this issue when he gives you his backstory, but it didn't seem to get quite there.

Actually though -- what might work would be a set of issues like the ones right now focused on him.

I'm glad you guys convinced me to give post-OMD Spider-Man another shot, I've really been enjoying it. But I gotta say, I just finished Shed, and
Dr. Conners killing his son
is some pretty disturbing shit.

Next up is Grim Hunt.

Yeah, you're nearing the end of the era now. Do yourself a favour though and skip ASM 638-641, a literally worthless storyline. After that you got Origin of Species by Waid and Azaceta which is the last full arc and 647 which feels like an ending to BND and sets up the solo Slott era (which we're still in, 5 years later gott damn)

Li Kao

I definitely recommend starting a bit earlier by following this list (almost everything is on Marvel Unlimited):

I have already read the two annihilation series, it's because of these that I can't bring myself to skip a few years in my catch up. I wasn't particularly a Space Marvel fan, but Abnett changed my tune.

Isak_Borg

It's a really really good series. I haven't watched it in awhile but it really didn't belong on Nickelodeon at all considering how ridiculously dark it got sometimes, ie the Harvester episode.

It was done by Vazquez, same guy that did Johnny the Homicidal Maniac.

Hopefully he comes back for this.

tim1138

A friend of mine is at the Wizard World con in Cleveland this weekend and just told me via email that Liefeld is charging $20+ to sign books (price varies depending on what you want signed).

Isak_Borg

A friend of mine is at the Wizard World con in Cleveland this weekend and just told me via email that Liefeld is charging $20+ to sign books (price varies depending on what you want signed).

Don't fault the man for trying to make a living.

One of the most LEGENDARY artist alive deserves to make a buck.

MG310

I think he has a list of 2 or 3 issues that he charges a premium for and writes "To Ebay, Love, Liefeld" on it.

Good. Especially when people are blocking up his table waiting for the CGC witness to show up.

tim1138

Neal Adams is also there and charging $20, but to be fair, I would pony up $20 if I got to talk to him for a bit about Green Lantern/Green Arrow and working with Denny O'Neil in general as he signed.

Skottie Young said he'd quit everything to work on Zim, didn't he? Let's see what happens.

Sometimes people say silly things when there seems to be an extremely small chance of it actually happening.

He's gotta make money somehow. It sure as shit isn't going to be by drawing feet.

E the Shaggy

Neal Adams is also there and charging $20, but to be fair, I would pony up $20 if I got to talk to him for a bit about Green Lantern/Green Arrow and working with Denny O'Neil in general as he signed.

Neal Adams also charges baseball card size bust pencil drawings for something crazy like $150.

Isak_Borg

Neal Adams is one of the biggest assholes in the industry worse than Frank Miller. Not just him but his entire family are vile individuals. Fucking assholes.

Sorry but dude is such a prick.

Neal Adams is one of the biggest assholes in the industry worse than Frank Miller. Not just him but his entire family are vile individuals. Fucking assholes.

........This is like reading a video game review where someone says a game is terrible but gives no supporting evidence as to why.

I find it extremely hard to believe that Liefeld is that down on his luck. Dude literally made millions in the 90s.

oh, well then maybe he's just a greedy piece of shit. Yeah, let's go with that.

Zombine

Banned

I said God damn. At least I'm not the only one who thinks Miller is a prick.

I remember reading that he only charges for New Mutants/X-Force stuff.
Yeah, like the Deadpool debut, his first issue on NM, etc. Fair considering that stuff goes for a bit online when graded
I hear he's kinda an asshole

e: ah yea, Isak confirming
Dude.. Liefeld has been a made man since his early 20's.
rofl, now i'm picturing Rob Liefeld as like an Italian mobster

NotLiquid

Even if Jhonen's works is a primary source of Hot Topic trenders, Invader Zim was a legitimately funny, awesome show and I'm incredibly excited for the comic run.

These Buy 1 Get 1 Free deals on Comixology are a great way to grab stuff that normally won't go on sale. I'd recommend:

Mystic: A way underrated G. W. Wilson join with David Lopez art. This was for the Crossgen label that Marvel bought out ages ago. Actually, all the CrossGen stuff is great, like Ruse & Sigil.
Amazing Spider-man Presents: Black Cat: A delightful DELIGHTFUL series by Jen Van Meter and early Pulido killing it.
Black Panther #39-41: Don't let the fact that it's part of Secret Invasion scare you off. All you need to know is this is Jason Aaron writing Black Panther as a AAA bad ass threat taking down Skrulls.
Iron man 7-12: The early Ellis Extremis story gets all the praise, but this arc by the brothers who created the HBO show Carnival craft a vastly underrated tense thriller.

I have mystic but thanks for the others! What Star Wars are essential?

Isak_Borg

Proof that God gives assholes cancer? But does he give assholes asshole cancer?

You can almost forgive Frank Miller because he's drunk most of the time and basically not really there most of the time.

Neal Adams is an asshole for the sake of being an asshole, even Denny O'neil hates him.

CBTech

Just noticed CMX is also having a sale on the Dresden Files comics. I really like the books. Might pick up the original story comics. Anyone read these?

What Star Wars are essential?

Knights of the Old Republic
Crimson Empire
The Dark Empire
Legacy (125 years after the Battle of Yavin, written by Ostrander)
The Purge
The Dark Times
Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison
Darth Vader and the Lost Command
Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin

Can you tell that the Dark Times is my favourite era of Star Wars?

Also, as far as the Dresden sale, I've read Ghoul Goblin and War Cry, they are both decent. I have not read Welcome to the Jungle, but Jim actually wrote all of that one so it's probably worth checking out. For a fiver, I definitely will.

tim1138

Considering the guy is an honest to god McCarthy fanboy (yes that McCarthy), that's no surprise.

Yeah, I followed him on Twitter for awhile because I liked seeing his con commissions, but his political rants were so annoying and gross that I stopped.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

I'm still maintaining that if you're a comics creator at a comics convention and a fan brings one of your comics for you to sign, and you point a shitty finger towards a sign that says "Signatures 20 bux", you're a fucking douchebag.

Every other aspect of these damn cons is already meant to drain your wallet--nothing worse than trying to just get a lousy signature from a creator you like and being told to pony up more hard-earned cash.

Considering the guy is an honest to god McCarthy fanboy (yes that McCarthy), that's no surprise.
Like HUAC and Red Scare McCarthy? If so, he's a goon.

Knights of the Old Republic
Crimson Empire
The Dark Empire
Legacy (125 years after the Battle of Yavin, written by Ostrander)
The Purge
The Dark Times
Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison
Darth Vader and the Lost Command
Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin

Can you tell that the Dark Times is my favourite era of Star Wars?

Also, as far as the Dresden sale, I've read Ghoul Goblin and War Cry, they are both decent. I have not read Welcome to the Jungle, but Jim actually wrote all of that one so it's probably worth checking out. For a fiver, I definitely will.
Thanks! All bought

Idk Liefeld has always seemed like a nice guy. I followed someone on tumblr who asked him to sketch them a pouch at a convention a few years back and he did it for free.

Plus his Instagram is filled with pictures of his kids. I just can't imagine him not being nice knowing that.

Top Bottom