• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

The other BOOM title announced

Strange Fruit by Mark Waid and JG Jones.

People at ComicsPRO tell me that it will take place in 1927, as a black superpowered being lands in the racial and social quagmire of Mississippi. The Superman parallels are meant to be apparent, it seems, and I am told “In fact, was that Kal-el’s rocket that just crashed?”

I am told the story is intended to confront racism, slavery and the heroic myth. The title is from the Billie Holliday song, originally written as a poem by Abel Meeropol, about racist lynchings of the South

Edit: Updated with solicitation
oW3w1vW.jpg

Strange Fruit #1 (of 4)
Publisher: BOOM! Studios
Authors: J.G. Jones and Mark Waid
Artist: J.G. Jones
Format: 32 pages, full color
Price: $3.99
On sale: July 2015
Synopsis: It’s 1927 in the town of Chatterlee, Mississippi, drowned by heavy rains. The Mississippi River is rising, threatening to break open not only the levees, but also the racial and social divisions of this former plantation town. A fiery messenger from the skies heralds the appearance of a being, one that will rip open the tensions in Chatterlee. Savior, or threat? It depends on where you stand. All the while, the waters are still rapidly rising…
Two of the industry’s most respected and prolific creators come together for the first time in a deeply personal passion project. J.G. Jones (Wanted, Y: The Last Man) and Mark Waid (Kingdom Come, Irredeemable) take on a powerful, beautifully painted story set during the Great Mississippi Flood of 1927. Strange Fruit is a challenging, provocative examination of the heroic myth confronting the themes of racism, cultural legacy, and human nature through a literary lens, drawing from Southern folklore and tradition.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So, I started with reading translates superhero comics and switched to english back then in 2012 when I returned to this hobby.

Still, I own a couple of english books, which I have now replaced (mostly Ultimate Spider-Man Paperback 1 - 6, Events like Civil War with Tie-Ins, Batman) with their english originals.

Would you

A) sell them, which comes with a expense but could finance your next books (but then again, translates comics are worth a shit)
Or
B) gift thm to street librarys (to book shelfs transformed phonebooths, where everybody can take or place books for free) and maybe introduce people to the hobby since the movies are popular but people wont get exposed to the hobby since they are only avaiable on the internet?

Edit: These Spider-Man casting threads are crazy. Some people really want to try something different way to much o_O Nothing against Spider-Gwen, but you have to be crazy to really expect her at this early point.
And they archived that I feel like a racist idiot, just because I am a Peter Parker fan :/

Raife

I just found out about IST recently thanks to you guys. Do you know if they run these 45% off sales that they are running now fairly often or is this a time I should buy everything I possibly can? I ordered some stuff I wanted but I want to get that Skottie Young Oz Omnibus. I can hold off on it if they will have the sale again in a few months.

I just found out about IST recently thanks to you guys. Do you know if they run these 45% off sales that they are running now fairly often or is this a time I should buy everything I possibly can? I oredered some stuff I wanted but I want to get that Skottie Young Oz Omnibus. I can hold off on it if they will have the sale again in a few months.

45% is basically the standard for Marvel/DC, and Image too I think. The Oz omni is Marvel, yeah? I think you should be ok if you decide to hold off

Raife

45% is basically the standard for Marvel/DC, and Image too I think. The Oz omni is Marvel, yeah? I think you should be ok if you decide to hold off

Awesome. Thanks. Just didn't want to make the mistake of holding off and paying through the nose for it later.

Zombine

Banned
Awesome. Thanks. Just didn't want to make the mistake of holding off and paying through the nose for it later.

But make sure that if you really want a book that you get it in the first week. They take away the 50% discount after that and it drops down to 45%.

Calcium

Banned
Just finished reading the first two volumes of Saga. Overall it is a great series so far and my only complaints are just nitpicky stuff. Thanks to everyone that suggested it.

I look forward to continuing my descent into non-superhero comics. I'm excited and my wallet is currently in the corner weeping.

Raife

But make sure that if you really want a book that you get it in the first week. They take away the 50% discount after that and it drops down to 45%.

Thanks. I'll definitely do that in the future. I just had no idea the site existed til a week or two ago. I'm excited for the books to arrive. I heard they pack them a lot better than Amazon so they don't get damaged in shipping.

Messi

Just finished reading the first two volumes of Saga. Overall it is a great series so far and my only complaints are just nitpicky stuff. Thanks to everyone that suggested it.

I look forward to continuing my descent into non-superhero comics. I'm excited and my wallet is currently in the corner weeping.

Embrace it. It's currently a fantastic time for non cape books.

Dunbar

Next Tuesday is Zero vol 3. Everyone should get on that immediately.
Absolutely. And a new arc starts March 18.

If you like any sort of spy fiction like the Bourne movies or the current Black Widow book, please check out Zero, whether it's grabbing and old trade or jumping in on the new arc.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

I'm slightly skeptical because 1) What Not-Eric said about white people writing black narratives, but mostly because 2) Isn't Waid's creator-owned stuff usually kind of forgettable? I mean, I've never heard anyone say it's bad, but nobody ever raves about his creator-owned stuff and I don't think anybody here reads it weekly.

To go into further detail, the lowest discount Marvel, DC, or Image books go on IST is 42%. The 45% is a temporary sale, but it's a sale that they run pretty frequently. For example, they usually run that 45% off all Marvel, DC, and Image the whole month of December. I think in 2013 they practically had the 45% off running the whole year. So yeah, still no need to rush out and buy everything ever, but just FYI that the 45% is very slightly better than the normal 42%.
With that said, they also run Up to 60% (or was it 65%?) Off sales occasionally with the books they're trying to clear out.
In summary, the books are always cheap on IST. But sometimes they're even cheaper. Best of luck. Don't go into debt.

I'm slightly skeptical because 1) What Not-Eric said about white people writing black narratives, but mostly because 2) Isn't Waid's creator-owned stuff usually kind of forgettable? I mean, I've never heard anyone say it's bad, but nobody ever raves about his creator-owned stuff and I don't think anybody here reads it weekly.

To go into further detail, the lowest discount Marvel, DC, or Image books go on IST is 42%. The 45% is a temporary sale, but it's a sale that they run pretty frequently. For example, they usually run that 45% off all Marvel, DC, and Image the whole month of December. I think in 2013 they practically had the 45% off running the whole year. So yeah, still no need to rush out and buy everything ever, but just FYI that the 45% is very slightly better than the normal 42%.
With that said, they also run Up to 60% (or was it 65%?) Off sales occasionally with the books they're trying to clear out.
In summary, the books are always cheap on IST. But sometimes they're even cheaper. Best of luck. Don't go into debt.
Empire and irredeemable were both awesome

IST Marvel/DC is usually 42% off. But the extra sales usually last a few months so you have some leeway. Otherwise they occur a few times a year so unless it is something likely to go OOP soon I wouldn't sweat it. I dont think OZ is on that list.

Zombine

Banned
Yeah, those are both really good books.

I think Mark Waid is an amazing writer but it's a highly sensitive topic and using the title "Strange Fruit" comes off as tone deaf.

They didn't even reveal the tagline yet.

"The blacker the berry the sweeter the juice...of Justice."

IST Marvel/DC is usually 42% off. But the extra sales usually last a few months so you have some leeway. Otherwise they occur a few times a year so unless it is something likely to go OOP soon I wouldn't sweat it. I dont think OZ is on that list.
Yea it's usually 42. But they add 2% if you chain orders together within a week

I feel like every comic book OT turns into an inevitable Marvel vs DC with the main issue being used as a cover rather than discussing the actual main issue.

Anyway, caught up with B&R and I love the ending. Brah squad with Shaz, Damian, Bats and Supes.

After reading Jeff Parker's work on Aquaman I'm probably going to pick up Shazam convergence. Is there any other promising convergence titles? I really liked PRE-IC JSA so I may pick that up as well.

Zombine

Banned
I feel like every comic book OT turns into an inevitable Marvel vs DC with the main issue being used as a cover rather than discussing the actual main issue.

You know how when you were younger and you'd play pokemon and your parents would pretend to take interest and they'd say their names and you'd be like "Ugh! Mom it's Pokemon not Pokeyman!" That's how I feel when I enter those threads. I'm the 11 year old Pokemon Master and they're all misinformed parents who don't know what they're talking about.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You know how when you were younger and you'd play pokemon and your parents would pretend to take interest and they'd say their names and you'd be like "Ugh! Mom it's Pokemon not Pokeyman!" That's how I feel when I enter those threads. I'm the 11 year old Pokemon Master and they're all misinformed parents who don't know what they're talking about.
Thank God. So I am not alone.

Ha, it's so damn true.

Strange Fruit looks really interesting. I'm definitely going to try it out.

Zombine

Banned
I'm definitely going to check it out, but a part of me just wishes that it would have been the third book in the same vein as Red Son/Mastermen. If this is just Superman in the 20s why not just make it Superman...

Instead we're probably going to get "When Emmit Tills fights back."

Please don't look that up. It gave me nightmares for months when I was a teenager. Just know that I'm being relevant and American History is my thing.

Thank God. So I am not alone.

I think I've voiced my opinion on this several time, but I agree entirely. There are several OT comics instigators that just post trash comics threads. The move related threads are almost always bad too.

I mean I'm completely fine with not everyone being up to date on the latest comixx hijinks but it's very much the people who only dip their toes into the source material acting as defacto knowledgebases on the material.

Got my coffee and 3.5 hours of sleep. let's fucking do this, SDCC.

Wish me luck brahs

Eh, I love the idea but it's more white faces telling black narratives.

Kinda my feeling as well. I think (hope?) Waid'll be sensitive to it; i guess "racism, but with Superman" is the best way he'd know how to tackle the topic

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I think I've voiced my opinion on this several time, but I agree entirely. There are several OT comics instigators that just post trash comics threads. The move related threads are almost always bad too.

I mean I'm completely fine with not everyone being up to date on the latest comixx hijinks but it's very much the people who only dip their toes into the source material acting as defacto knowledgebases on the material.

You didn't think that "LOL: Frank Miller stinks" thread was revelatory and insightful?

You didn't think that "LOL: Frank Miller stinks" thread was revelatory and insightful?

I could put together a list of all the OT threads which fall into the category of "OP didn't spend 5 minutes thinking this was a good topic" and group them by author, but I'd prefer not to be permabanned for my one incendiary opinion regarding GAF.

Kipp

Wish me luck brahs

Oh whoa! Didn't realize today was the day! Got into the waiting room just 10 minutes before registration starts. In case I get in, do you want me to buy you a ticket to basically double your chances? Looks like you can purchase up to 3 tickets if you get through the waiting room. I'd just need your last name and Member ID.

Oh whoa! Didn't realize today was the day! Got into the waiting room just 10 minutes before registration starts. In case I get in, do you want me to buy you a ticket to basically double your chances? Looks like you can purchase up to 3 tickets if you get through the waiting room. I'd just need your last name and Member ID.

Hmmm, I'm doing this with two other friends as well, but let's exchange in case more than one of us get through. That'd be dope

Kipp

Yo, does anyone know how to tell if butternut squash is bad? My mom bought this giant package of pre-cut butternut squash from Costco and the expiration date was a couple days ago. There was a bit of condensation and I'm not sure if the squash smelled slightly off or not because I'm not really sure what squash smells like. Either way, I'm cooking it up right now and it might smell slightly weird? I've never smelled squash very closely before. I'm all paranoid that I'm going to all this trouble making delicious cinnamon butternut squash on the stove and it's gone bad.

Vyer

Yo, does anyone know how to tell if butternut squash is bad? My mom bought this giant package of pre-cut butternut squash from Costco and the expiration date was a couple days ago. There was a bit of condensation and I'm not sure if the squash smelled slightly off or not because I'm not really sure what squash smells like. Either way, I'm cooking it up right now and it might smell slightly weird? I've never smelled squash very closely before. I'm all paranoid that I'm going to all this trouble making delicious cinnamon butternut squash on the stove and it's gone bad.

if it is soft and/or bruised it's probably bad. not sure about odor. but soft/squishy/bruised with any different odor is probably a bad combination

Tizoc

If it's expired, just throw it in the trash can.

Kipp

if it is soft and/or bruised it's probably bad. not sure about odor. but soft/squishy/bruised with any different odor is probably a bad combination

The color was fine and it definitely wasn't soft or squishy. I really don't know if the odor was normal or different though. I would say it smelled almost slightly sour, but sour isn't quite the right word. It wasn't really a neutral smell.

Kipp

If it's expired, just throw it in the trash can.

You crazy. It was expired two days ago. Expiration dates are usually pretty generous. I don't like tossing out perfectly good food (well, in this case I don't know for sure if it's perfectly good, but that isn't the point) just because it's got some pretty recently passed date printed on the package.

Earth 2 Worlds End continues to be non-stop crazy action. It's bombastic in such an enjoyable way and hasn't suffered in the slightest from the weekly format.

welp i think i've bought every 1.99 marvel comic on CMX that is out there. I wish they had complete PAD Hulk and Stern's Spidey in there and i'd get them but I think i've run out of things to buy. And i've been active on the weekly sales from them to begin with

I can't remember everything I've picked up in my comic hoarding quest but some of the highlights
- Claremont + xmen run
- Waid's FF run now owned digital
- Morrison's X-men run
- A ton of the 90s+ xmen books, careys run, milligan, etc
- All the classic runs of iron man
- All the classic Cap runs
- All the classic Early FF
- All the classic Avenger runs
- Amazing spidey classic run through what was available but before the crap 90s. Picked up from BND+
- Devil Dinosaur
- Cornells Captain Britain run
- Finished out my DnA cosmic stragglers
- Finished out a handful of missing ultimate spidey
- Extremis + Iron Man
- Miller's DD run
- The rest of the MK DD run with Bru, Mack, etc
- Slott's Avenger run
- Johns' Avenger stuff
- Fearless defenders
- Classic GoTG
- Various Sale/Timm minis
- a bunch of other stuff

Now i got a bunch of free comics from marvel back with that promo and some other free #1s over the years with Image but my current issue count (and collections count as 1..though i don't do that often) is........
13692 :/

So all that will be left from marvel on CMX is when the current stuff shows up in 99 cent sales. Or if they add more classics and do another sale.

YES dude, The Parker series is pretty much Cooke doing the best work of his career. A new book should be coming out this year too. :D

Finished reading The Score, was crazy good. I wanted to start Slayground immediately but I might give it a week or so as it's the last one left.

I think I'll get the Martini edition that contains The Hunter and The Outfit. I will definitely be re-reading this.

Bii

Wish me luck brahs

Kinda my feeling as well. I think (hope?) Waid'll be sensitive to it; i guess "racism, but with Superman" is the best way he'd know how to tackle the topic

Hope you got tickets. I tried to get Friday and/or Saturday during today's registration but it's a no go. Guess I'll only be there on Thursday and Sunday for this year's SDCC.

Top Bottom