• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

The 90s were when comics tried to be "extreme" and edgy to the point where it was basically satire.
Some more then others but the 90s still had a lot of great comics. Though with the rise of more successful indie comics and creators, and their crossover to the big 2 made the 2000s much stronger. It went from the artist was the primary star to the writer & artist.

Sandfox

Some more then others but the 90s still had a lot of great comics. Though with the rise of more successful indie comics and creators, and their crossover to the big 2 made the 2000s much stronger. It went from the artist was the primary star to the writer & artist.

I agree, but pretty much every big hero had his "90s moment" lol.

Ain't even seen the inside of a comic neither.

PY3J67f.png

Worst fast food is White Castle. It's absolutely awful and the chain is disgusting. I'd rather eat horse burgers.

I never had White Castle til I went to Gen Con for a Heroclix Tournament a few years back. I ended up getting into an arguement with the cashier cause I was caught off guard by the sales tax.

frye

Conversely the 90's were also the time of Vertigo, a company that valued and values their writers much more than their artists -- to the extent where the reprints of their classic series almost all have the writer's name literally larger than the artists' on the cover.

It's especially shameful in the case of the new Moore/Bisette/Tottleben/Veitch Swamp Thing hardcovers/trades, since that would not be the comic it is without the work of the latter 3 men (as Moore himself would no doubt be the first to acknowledge). From the cover you would think that they were bit players in service of the "true" author, the Original Writer.

As for the present, a lot of people have pointed it out but it feels the scales have tipped completely to the side of the writer at this point. There's not even anyone you can call a superstart artist anymore, which was still kinda possible in the 2000s.

Owzers

I started Bayonetta 2 and was reminded that i don't like games like Bayonetta 2. I didn't finish the first Bayonetta, didn't bother playing the last DMC, but hey let's rent Bayonetta 2 because hype. I'd rather play The Order.

Conversely the 90's were also the time of Vertigo, a company that valued and values their writers much more than their artists -- to the extent where the reprints of their classic series almost all have the writer's name literally larger than the artists' on the cover.

It's especially shameful in the case of the new Moore/Bisette/Tottleben/Veitch Swamp Thing hardcovers/trades, since that would not be the comic it is without the work of the latter 3 men (as Moore himself would no doubt be the first to acknowledge). From the cover you would think that they were bit players in service of the "true" author, the Original Writer.

As for the present, a lot of people have pointed it out but it feels the scales have tipped completely to the side of the writer at this point. There's not even anyone you can call a superstart artist anymore, which was still kinda possible in the 2000s.
I agree the writers seem to become the super stars now. And I think the lack of long, consistently on time runs by the majority of the artists is a big part to why. Many last a handful of issues but the writer is constant. Thus it's Morrisons X-men, Gaimans Sandman, etc

now there still are some artists that crank out good work and I love runs/series where it's the same crew. Azz/Risso on 100 bullets. Bru/Phillips on a number of books. Bendis/Maleev on DD and other collaborations. barely on Ult spidey, etc.

But given the choice of writer or artist I'll always choose writer.

headshot95

Neo Member
I really want that Hellboy beer from Rogue. Hope to just find it at a liquor store because paying $15 to ship some beer doesn't seem like a good way to spend money.

I started Bayonetta 2 and was reminded that i don't like games like Bayonetta 2. I didn't finish the first Bayonetta, didn't bother playing the last DMC, but hey let's rent Bayonetta 2 because hype. I'd rather play The Order.
Haha what's your success rate on liking something? And these are your hobbies. The things that are supposed to bring you joy!

Messi

Haha what's your success rate on liking something? And these are your hobbies. The things that are supposed to bring you joy!

What if Sillymonkey finds joy in hating things? Then it would all make sense.

I don't like Bayonetta either. So maybe he is on to something.

Not just
any canyon though, it's where the Shiftship was buried for millennia, and they didn't know about it.
Within the context of the story, I think that's the only way Elijah wins.

Has Hickman ever commented on what influenced his current Avengers story? The incursion stuff is very reminiscent of the first issue of Planetary and the Doc Brass/Secret Society flashback with the quantum computer.

I think fringe was a big influence

Owzers

Not very high with games, it's why i switched over to Gamefly. Witcher 3 will be the first ps4 retail game i've bought since launch, but 2014 seemed like a remarkably bad year for new consoles.

What if Sillymonkey finds joy in hating things? Then it would all make sense.

I don't like Bayonetta either. So maybe he is on to something.

I like liking things more than i like disliking things which i prefer to disliking disliking things. I had to think about that and i am certain it makes sense.

frye

I agree the writers seem to become the super stars now. And I think the lack of long, consistently on time runs by the majority of the artists is a big part to why. Many last a handful of issues but the writer is constant.

At the same time though I think we should recognize that that's really a result of artists being seen as disposable and interchangeable, versus the writer being seen as the primary "voice" of the comic

Also I see way too much of "Bendis's Daredevil" or "Brubaker's Daredevil" despite both series having very consistent artists in Alex Maleev and Michael Lark respectively.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Just started reading Snyder's Zero Year. Ummm... when does this thing start getting good? I'm getting an urge to reread my copy of Year One.

I would say if you don't like the build up in Acts 1 and 2, then you probably ain't gonna enjoy the overall event, because the end is pretty weak. There's a ton going on throughout the story, and it's pretty much the opposite of Year One in terms of being completely ungrounded, but man, the Red Hood stuff in the beginning is fucking fantastic.

But, the one constant throughout the entire storyline is Capullo--dude busts his ass to put out the most impressive cape comic art in the big two.

I would say if you don't like the build up in Acts 1 and 2, then you probably ain't gonna enjoy the overall event, because the end is pretty weak. There's a ton going on throughout the story, and it's pretty much the opposite of Year One in terms of being completely ungrounded, but man, the Red Hood stuff in the beginning is fucking fantastic.

But, the one constant throughout the entire storyline is Capullo--dude busts his ass to put out the most impressive cape comic art in the big two.

Capullo does good art for guys like Gordon. But... man, I do not like his Bruce Wayne. He looks soft and dopey and the buzzcut look is awful.

Every once in a while i think that Remender is a shit writer who just occasionally manages to pull something interesting off.

Then we have Secret Avengers 21, following the other runs, where Steve criticizes Clint for not being stealthy enough.

While Steve's super secret squad never managed to complete a single job while keeping to stealth.

What. The. Fuck. Remender.

Oh wow, and a psych eval too. Good going you boring bastard.

"avengers don't kill".

like... what.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
How's Low (Image)? Man, so many cool series I've never heard of.

It's great, but it's definitely Remender's least "reader-friendly" book in the beginning. Give it like 3 issues to get going and then you start to understand the characters and where the book is heading (sort of). Also, the familiar Remender "broken family, shit's going from bad->worse, where the fuck is the next issue?" will kick in.

Top Bottom