• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

It does for me. Time for them to be retired, or at least not charge full whack for them.

If you want story over gameplay, why are you playing video games? Most game stories are junk that wouldn't even be published as a Kindle book. At the very least, if you want a story experience, make the mechanics part of it. Adding QTEs to cutscenes doesn't count TBH. It's a shit practice if your game isn't called Resident Evil 4, and that gets a pass, because it's RESIDENT EVIL 4, one of the greatest games of all time.

Oh please. Are you saying they shouldn't make a game like Half-Life or Uncharted 2 anymore? Interactivity can be an amazing immersion technique. You know that pick-up-the-can scene in HL2? You wouldn't get that same experience in any other medium.

Oh please. Are you saying they shouldn't make a game like Half-Life or Uncharted 2 anymore? Interactivity can be an amazing immersion technique. You know that pick-up-the-can scene in HL2? You wouldn't get that same experience in any other medium.

Valve doesn't seem that bothered about it. Why would they when they can literally make All The Money from Dota 2 and CS:GO? Uncharted is pretty meh apart from the second one anyway. It's not even the best game in its' genre, that's the Tomb Raider reboot and even that falls under the category of "pretty, but pointless".

Half-Life 2 is actually a good example, because they used the physics engine to create new experiences like the crane puzzles. They may have barely worked (at least on the machine I played it on at the time, which was like AMD 3500/1GB RAM/128MB 7600 GT) but they were there. Where is the equivalent to that in a game like The Order?

The value of such games has diminished, especially in a world where you can watch a full playthrough literally hours after release. There's nothing to keep you invested. There's no room for creating your own memories in something like that.

Cheska

It does for me. Time for them to be retired, or at least not charge full whack for them.

If you want story over gameplay, why are you playing video games? Most game stories are junk that wouldn't even be published as a Kindle book. At the very least, if you want a story experience, make the mechanics part of it. Adding QTEs to cutscenes doesn't count TBH. It's a shit practice if your game isn't called Resident Evil 4, and that gets a pass, because it's RESIDENT EVIL 4, one of the greatest games of all time.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Just don't buy the damn game. But please don't tell me what I can and can't enjoy.

What are the three best Superman graphic novels? I'm currently reading Death Of Superman, wanted to see what I'm missing out. Always couldn't stand the character but figured I'd give him a shot.

All star Superman
Superman for all seasons
secret identity

I know you asked for three but others I liked were Birthright, Lex Luthor man of steel, red son, and secret origin. Those are what I recall graphic novel wise.

Zombine

Banned
Any of you peeps on Animal Crossing? I picked up a new 3ds and that's one of the games I got. Gimme ur codez

I played Animal Crossing every single day for a complete year. Still livid Pashmina left me.

The one true Animal Crossing waifu.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Just don't buy the damn game. But please don't tell me what I can and can't enjoy.
Exactly. I hate how some gamers can't accept diversity. Everything has to be put in these very rigid defined categories and if you stray the giant collective trashes it. Just go play something else and stop bitching about it in every thread. I like games that have heavy story emphasis AND interactivity. Interactive movies are more appealing than a standard Hollywood flick. Just like an epic JRPGS appeals to me in ways a written novel can't. And vice versa. Stop pushing everything into one box.setting arbitrary definitions of value..and then turn around and bitch that every game is the same, is a shooter, etc.

Zombine

Banned
Exactly. I hate how some gamers can't accept diversity. Everything has to be put in these very rigid defined categories and if you stray the giant collective trashes it. Just go play something else and stop bitching about it in every thread. I like games that have heavy story emphasis AND interactivity. Interactive movies are more appealing than a standard Hollywood flick. Just like an epic JRPGS appeals to me in ways a written novel can't. And vice versa. Stop pushing everything into one box.setting arbitrary definitions of value..and then turn around and bitch that every game is the same, is a shooter, etc.

bradyhighv.gif%3Fw%3D640%26h%3D360

golf.gif

Yeah I'm not getting the order until I can snag it for $30 or $40 but c'mon, don't try to act like there isn't an audience for it. Plenty of people are going to enjoy their experience with it.

Messi

Yeah I'm not getting the order until I can snag it for $30 or $40 but c'mon, don't try to act like there isn't an audience for it. Plenty of people are going to enjoy their experience with it.

Absolutely. There is an audience for everything. 4,000 people were buying Klarion for fuck sake.

What are the three best Superman graphic novels? I'm currently reading Death Of Superman, wanted to see what I'm missing out. Always couldn't stand the character but figured I'd give him a shot.

If you always couldn't stand the character don't listen to the people recommending All-Star Superman. It pushes the tropes that make most people hate the character. Its a love letter to the Golden and Silver age of comics, if that's not your thing you're going to hate it.

Hey who go video games in my comics discussion?

I'm gonna agree with Zombine, gketter, whatsinaname and Cheska. I like those sort of games. I think my favorite games all have heavy amount of time dedicated to the storylines. Thats one of the things I like most about video games. You can experience a story in a way no other medium can do it. It's the most immersive medium, so there will definitely be an audience for people who enjoy games with a lot of story to the them.

Anyway, back to comics! I was reading Just My Type, a book on typefaces last night. Theres a chapter on comic sans and it says the creator of comic sans was partially inspired by Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. So we can actually thank Frank Miller for comic sans!

Cheska again speaking the truth. No need to demand something you don't like doesn't get made any more. The video game industry is huge and there's room for games of all types.

I want to talk about how awesome Batman and Robin was this month, so freaking killer. Next month's is going to be even more amazing. Batman, Superman, Shazam, and a powered up Robin. Ohhh hells yes.

Cheska again speaking the truth. No need to demand something you don't like doesn't get made any more. The video game industry is huge and there's room for games of all types.

Indeed, I have no reason to complain or look down upon people who like Call of Duty or Angry Birds or The Cave or Castlevania: Lord of Shadows. I watch MLP for fuck's sake.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Seems like Age of Ultron really turns the MCU upside down again.
Tempted to open the spoiler, but I wont do it... Only two months now.

Seems like Age of Ultron really turns the MCU upside down again.
Tempted to open the spoiler, but I wont do it... Only two months now.

Iron Man and Captain America die, Civil War is a complete reboot.

Speaking of Age of Ultron, I saw the new Ultron and Cap Pops at Hot Topic yesterday. They both look really nice in person.

Been catching up on my reading.

Batman #37 - well isn't this some frantic, dynamic, crazy fun.
Batman & Robin #37 - so much fun and I love my batgod doing his batgod stuff. And a touching ending. Darkseid vs Batman. Yissss
Catwoman #36-37- im liking this crime boss book angle. Although the art is a bit too uddy for my tastes
Earth 2 Words End #11 - this series is fun because anything goes and man nobody can seem to catch a break. But I love how it'll do whatever and see what sticks.
Deadly Class 10 -still not the book I thought it'd be but the end action was a blast. And nostalgia comic book talk is always welcome

All star Superman
Superman for all seasons
secret identity

I know you asked for three but others I liked were Birthright, Lex Luthor man of steel, red son, and secret origin. Those are what I recall graphic novel wise.
That's my list. After that it's red son, brainiac, secret origin

Edit: now that I think about it I might swap For all seasons with Kingdom come. Not really a superman story by itself it's what turned the corner for me in starting to love the guy

Zombine

Banned
Where has Fauxtrot been? I think he might be babysitting his girlfriend for her parents all weekend.
lol

If you're just lurking dude please actually pick up Spider Gwen on Wednesday.

frye

Anyway, back to comics! I was reading Just My Type, a book on typefaces last night. Theres a chapter on comic sans and it says the creator of comic sans was partially inspired by Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. So we can actually thank Frank Miller for comic sans!

Not quite! DKR was lettered by John Costanza, and comic sans was also supposedly influenced by Dave Gibbons, who lettered himself on Watchmen.

I think Gibbons gets slightly more credit for the inspiration, if only because he's much more well known than Costanza is.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yay!
I will get a couple of days later. But I am very curious and hope that the universe grow like the Ultimate and spawn a couple of other books.

I still have to get the digital copy of Silk... Kinda forgot until now that the book exists now, too.

Not quite! DKR was lettered by John Costanza, and comic sans was also supposedly influenced by Dave Gibbons, who lettered himself on Watchmen.

I think Gibbons gets slightly more credit for the inspiration, if only because he's much more well known than Costanza is.

You are correct. The book also mentioned Watchmen and definitely went into more detail than what I said. I just wanted to blame Frank Miller for Comic Sans :p

edit: to expand on what the book talked about, comic sans was created to be in a program called Microsoft Bob. This program was supposed to be very friendly and cute, but all the text was in Times New Roman. So Connare decided to create a typeface for this particular time. They ended up not using it in Microsoft Bob but it was later released in Windows 95.

Messi

Yay!
I will get a couple of days later. But I am very curious and hope that the universe grow like the Ultimate and spawn a couple of other books.

I still have to get the digital copy of Silk... Kinda forgot until now that the book exists now, too.

Silk was great. You should get that copy. The art is lovely in particular.

Not for long I don't think. There's another crash coming, and it's going to be painful. It won't happen tomorrow or anything, but it will happen. Adoption of the new consoles has been sluggish, and it can't all be down to the economy. The only difference is we won't need a landfill to bury all the unsold copies of whatever bomb triggers it all, because of the wonders of digital distribution.

I definitely think we're moving towards the "games as service" model and it will be adapt or perish for most of the studios. There's going to be growing pains like what happened with Assassin's Creed Unity, where studios want your F2P business and attention but they want to charge you 60 quid up front as well.

There's a whole generation coming up for whom the model of buying the game upfront doesn't make any sense. If you don't think this is true, ask yourself, why did Apple's new "Buy Once and Play" model make the news then? And those people will be the tastemakers, because the video games industry is so desperate to get back the crowd that bought a Wii and never touched it again after Wii Sports.

It's going to be an ugly few years, and my "demands" are pretty simple:
- Don't preorder, under any circumstances. That shit is an interest free loan for whoever you are giving it to. Buy it digitally in the unlikely event every store near you sells out of Assassin's Creed Unity II: Unify Harder or whatever stop the Hype Train is pulling into next. Buy the pre-order DLC when it gets put on sale like it always does. By then you'll have spent time in the game and it's value will be obvious to you one way or the other.
- Don't buy it if it's broken. Seriously, stop it. That shit's not acceptable. Your definition of broken may vary of course.
- Support developers and studios that value your custom. "Boy, those Amiibos sold out fair fast because they couldn't be bothered to make enough, can't wait to queue up for the next wave!" In what universe is this okay? This is why I stopped buying FIFA, because every year it seems like it regresses and fills with ever more Ultimate Team bullshit and EA's message is "har har, you'll buy it anyway!"
- Avoid Early Access, Kickstarter and paying for betas, in general. Exceptions may apply.

Otherwise, put your money where your mouth is and buy whatever you want. In the end, the market (and that includes all of us) will decide. I ultimately don't care about what you do with your time as long as it doesn't impact on what I do with mine. But if you buy shit, don't be surprised when we get more shit.

Man, I feel like one of those dudes who complains that Marvel movies are killing cinema. Maybe I should buy myself a nice new tin-foil hat?

Owzers

Hmm the video game industry is huge and everyone is making games i don't like. Feels like i'm living in a world full of Watch Dogs and Assassin Creeds.

Zombine

Banned
Hmm the video game industry is huge and everyone is making games i don't like. Feels like i'm living in a world full of Watch Dogs and Assassin Creeds.

If you're console only I can see how this gen is a big piece of shit so far. PC gaming has been stellar though. Vita and WiiU as well.

Honestly, just close down Ubisoft and I'll call that a win. How many more poor radio towers are going to be abused before their reign of terror ends?

And yeah, lots of good stuff on PC lately, even if a lot of it is calling back to older stuff. Divinity, Wasteland, Xenonauts, all great.

I haven't turned my Vita on in over a year though. I think the poor thing might be dead at this point. What's actually good that isn't available elsewhere and doesn't have an anime style?

Never buying anything Nintendo again though. Everyone is allowed one irrational dislike in video games, and that's mine.

SoilBreak

Banned
All star Superman
Superman for all seasons
secret identity

I would also check out Ending Battle, Kryptonite ,Last Son,Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes, and Up, Up, and Away

I would also check out Ending Battle, Kryptonite ,Last Son,Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes, and Up, Up, and Away

Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes is pretty great actually. I think I'll re-read that soon. I love the Johns/Frank team, even if Gary's Superman is a little too close to Christopher Reeve (nothing wrong with the likeness, I just hate really obvious character modelling).

tim1138

I've spent my day alternating between playing Fire Emblem and rereading Animal Man. A pretty great way to spend a Sunday if I do say so myself.

Owzers

If you're console only I can see how this gen is a big piece of shit so far. PC gaming has been stellar though. Vita and WiiU as well.

Divinity does look good, if my laptop could run it i would probably get it even though i don't like playing games on a laptop.

Divinity does look good, if my laptop could run it i would probably get it even though i don't like playing games on a laptop.

The struggle is real, my friend. Now that my student days are over, I never want a laptop again. This POS I have is heavy and noisy. Using an external KBAM and a stand makes it a little better, but dammit I want my big monitor like the old days.

Almost got the money for the new rig. It's going to be another few months, hopefully I will have it for the Steam summer sale. I dream of the glorious 1440P/60 FPS revolution.

One thing stuck with me.

How can the Half Lifes, games in which you are in first person 100% of the time, and in control of the camera 100% of the time, be cinematic?

They're, quite literally, the antithesis of cinematic gaming.

Didn't quite understand that comparison, tbh.

Seriously, I pretty much only play indie games and the variety and sheer volume of games is astounding. Want 3D platforming that isn't AC-auto jump? Grow Home and Cloudbuilt got you covered. Arcade racing? Distance and Wreckfest. I'm always finding new and interesting games, practically daily

One thing stuck with me.

How can the Half Lifes, games in which you are in first person 100% of the time, and in control of the camera 100% of the time, be cinematic?

They're, quite literally, the antithesis of cinematic gaming.

Didn't quite understand that comparison, tbh.
Cinematic isn't simply stuff like Heavy Rain. Games like Uncharted, God of War, and Shadow of the Colossus are also cinematic games, that capture the spectacle of a movie or, in SotC case, the combo of the rousing score, the camera angles, the set pieces, all make for a cinematic experience

I read an article about cinematic games, that discussed how Half Life 2 was one of the games that began that shift to more cinematic experiences in the sense of delievering a tightly paced story, focusing on story and character development, etc.

Top Bottom