• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Messi

Finally read Gotham Academy #4. That cliffhanger! Glad the new issue is out this week. It continues to be a very good book with some excellent art. Perfect series for someone who just wants to dip their toes into comics or someone who just wants something a little different from the usual from Marvel/DC. Really great stuff.

And I will fill the void left by Freeza for anime avatars.

Absolutely agree about Gotham Academy. The last 2 issues in particular have really hit the right notes for me. Its all coming together nicely and I can't wait to see where they go with the cliffhanger. Probably be the first book I read this week. The art can't get enough credit. It doesn't look like any other dc book and just gives me a fresh feeling while reading it.

I would feel comfortable giving the first trade to a non comic reader to help them get into comics. I would love to give it to my niece.

Nah. 2 years or longer I bet.

Ah don't say that :(

If the writer could resist giving those silly quirks to the antagonists, the story would be so much better. But noooo, dude gotta use an imaginary typewriter. Nooo, midget gotta piss himself while eating and be ridiculously pompous in every way possible. Gah.

They could have just said he had a good memory, but nooooo. They had to fall down that hole.

Rucka seems to have turned Stumptown into a series where he makes a mini series over the strangest and silliest cases but plays it straight. This whole American MLS arc is so odd. Like is this a northwest culture thing that exists and nobody knows about? Are they aping EPL so much to hooliganism? And the last one was about a missing guitar

Zombine

Banned
Both of you are wrong. Crawl Space is where it is at. BOOM.

50-cent-driving-gif.gif

ElNarez

Banned
Black Science could possibly be Remender's best book.

Deadly Class.

The answer you're looking for is Deadly Class.

Like, Remender is great at the one-liner, and he's at his best when he can write a classic like "FUCK THE BOY WITH YOUR MURDER STICK". It's beautiful. It's poetry. He can't do that at Marvel, or in his more high-concept pulp sci-fi stuff.

Deadly Class, y'all.

PsychBat!

Banned
Deadly Class.

Like, Remender is great at the one-liner, and he's at his best when he can write a classic like "FUCK THE BOY WITH YOUR MURDER STICK". It's beautiful. It's poetry. He can't do that at Marvel, or in his more high-concept pulp sci-fi stuff.

Deadly Class, y'all.

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Michael Gaydos' art in the preview pages for Black Hood is so weird.

Like... it feels painted and photoshopped and real all at once.

I don't know if I like it, but it's interesting.

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2015/02/BlackHood02.jpg

Deadly Class.

Deadly Class, y'all.

Deadly Class is next week's title on my Image hit list.

Deadly Class.

Deadly Class, y'all.

Yeah Deadly Class is Remender's best ongoing

Really looking forward to Uncanny Avengers and Low this week though

Yeah how Deadly Class just goes ham on 80s events and typical teenage drama.

ElNarez

Banned
Prophet is less sciencey and way more abstract. The first couple arcs are cool, but after that it devolves into nonsensical bullshit. Also, he bangs a reptile lady.

The best part of Prophet is the way it incorporates 90s Liefeld Image stuff, like, at one point Diehard shows up and you're like WHAT THE FUCK even though yeah, wait, that's a reboot/sequel to that whole thing.

It's weird and great is what I'm saying.

Owzers

Cap #4: My problem with talk about the world and what it means to be a hero, what jobs they tackle, making promises to Armadillo, etc, is that it's not what the book is about but just used to waste time and was what Remender used in previous issues with Steve as well. When Falcon gets all deep and questions what heroes are doing my initial thought is "getting me to spend $3.99 on your bullshit"

Cap #4: My problem with talk about the world and what it means to be a hero, what jobs they tackle, making promises to Armadillo, etc, is that it's not what the book is about but just used to waste time and was what Remender used in previous issues with Steve as well. When Falcon gets all deep and questions what heroes are doing my initial thought is "getting me to spend $3.99 on your bullshit"

But what's your score?

I'd kind of love it if Old Man Logan took over as permanent Wolverine. It'd be pretty badass and also kind of the perfect fuck you to Fox.

If All New X-men stick around too, ah. What delightful adventures they would have.

Just read hawkguy 21

I'm not fuckin crying, okay?!

I bawled when I read that last page. I ain't ashamed.

That topped Sandman's "So live" for most heartbreaking and gorgeous page in comics history. Sorry, Jill Thompson. Ya just got AJA'D.

(Please don't get Azzarello to suplex or figure four him, Jill.)

frye

Prophet's not that hard to understand. Just remember that New Father/Conan Prophet thinks the Earth Empire is cool and Old Man Prophet thinks they're a bunch of jerks. And also Prophet with a tail's just chillin in the meantime until EARTH WAR

Prophet's not that hard to understand. Just remember that New Father/Conan Prophet thinks the Earth Empire is cool and Old Man Prophet thinks they're a bunch of jerks. And also Prophet with a tail's just chillin in the meantime until EARTH WAR

And carafe robot's all "SUUUUUUUUUUP"

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Deadly Class.

Deadly Class, y'all.

Fuckin' agree, my dude. Deadly Class feels like Remender's most personal project (it seems to be the most "auto-bio", what with the murder and the acid) and it's just an emotional explosive train closing in on a brick wall. An ugly momentum keeps building, and it's fucking beautiful to watch.

Also, let's be real, that comic shop scene from two issues ago is 100% accurate, still to this day.
I bawled when I read that last page. I ain't ashamed.

That topped Sandman's "So live" for most heartbreaking and gorgeous page in comics history. Sorry, Jill Thompson. Ya just got AJA'D.

(Please don't get Azzarello to suplex or figure four him, Jill.)
Definition of heartbreaking:

I'd kind of love it if Old Man Logan took over as permanent Wolverine. It'd be pretty badass and also kind of the perfect fuck you to Fox.

Are all of those Secret Wars #1's new series, or are they one-shots kinda like Multiversity. It seems like Marvel posted an awful lot of those teasers for every one to be a new book.

shit gets weird in here when I'm not here making the thread GORGEOUS

There are a few Joe Casey written issues. I think he started with issue 394. The "Poptopia" arc (395-398) was pretty decent from what I remember. It had art by Ian Churchill, Sean Phillips, and Ashley Wood. I think Sean Phillips did art on a few more issues in the early 400s as well. Nothing earth shattering in that run, but a few fun X-Men stories.

sweet, thanks for the rec, just under the wire, meaning i have 25 minutes to decide if i like Ian Churchill enough to spend time on him

shit gets weird in here when I'm not here making the thread GORGEOUS

sweet, thanks for the rec, just under the wire, meaning i have 25 minutes to decide if i like Ian Churchill enough to spend time on him
Just a reminder the 99cent xmen sale stacks with the buy 1 get 1 sale with the marvel code. So 50 cent issues.

Are all of those Secret Wars #1's new series, or are they one-shots kinda like Multiversity. It seems like Marvel posted an awful lot of those teasers for every one to be a new book.

They are going to new series during the secret wars. Some will continue, some will revert back to whatever title they spun off of(2099 back into Spidey 2099) and some will lead into new titles.

Marvel is so addicted to #1 issues they see multiversity as the new model. All #1s all the time!

Well, more people buy #1's than #2's. Marvel is trying to get all of the sales and none of the drop-off.

They are going to new series during the secret wars. Some will continue, some will revert back to whatever title they spun off of(2099 back into Spidey 2099) and some will lead into new titles.

MODOK is going to be amazing.

Just a reminder the 99cent xmen sale stacks with the buy 1 get 1 sale with the marvel code. So 50 cent issues.

For sure. I probably would've just let this one go as just another random Marvel Monday but i figure for 50c a pop, there's gotta be something good in there.

ended up buying those and Secret Invasion: Black Panther cuz i hear that's good too

Owzers

Did anyone end up getting some Kot books with the cmx sale? I went in for Wild Children, i have the first Zero trade unread after liking issue #1, didn't like the first issue of Change so i skipped that.

For sure. I probably would've just let this one go as just another random Marvel Monday but i figure for 50c a pop, there's gotta be something good in there.

ended up buying those and Secret Invasion: Black Panther cuz i hear that's good too
Caseys run isn't bad. Not the best Monday sale for sure

Top Bottom