• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh, new page. Hey guys.

Michael Gaydos' art in the preview pages for Black Hood is so weird.

Like... it feels painted and photoshopped and real all at once.

I don't know if I like it, but it's interesting.

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2015/02/BlackHood02.jpg

Oh heeey. Three panels and they're all unique drawings. Gaydos really pulling out all the stops for this one.

I actually do kinda like Gaydos' art in Alias though. Those copy/pasted panels are getting pretty annoying though.

Oh, new page. Hey guys.

Oh heeey. Three panels and they're all unique drawings. Gaydos really pulling out all the stops for this one.

I actually do kinda like Gaydos' art in Alias though. Those copy/pasted panels are getting pretty annoying though.

I am looking these panels up right now and cannot unsee

Okay, for the love of God, someone tell me where the hell Sabrina 2 is. Cause clearly no one on Twitter seems to wanna say stuff.

I really hope the Black Hood does not follow this asinine shipping schedule.

Vyer

y'know, after reading that thread in the OT (i know i know) about comic book shops, I have a question for you all: do you feel like the comics industry is (young) kid friendly? In terms of the content out there, the way it's presented/sold, cost, etc. etc.

As my kid is getting to that age where he can learn to read on his own, I find that - in my local shops at least - stuff for young kids is pretty bare.

NexusCell

y'know, after reading that thread in the OT (i know i know) about comic book shops, I have a question for you all: do you feel like the comics industry is (young) kid friendly? In terms of the content out there, the way it's presented/sold, cost, etc. etc.

As my kid is getting to that age where he can learn to read on his own, I find that - in my local shops at least - stuff for young kids is pretty bare.

Well, I mean, I would say that it is pretty friendly for children. Marvel and DC may be targeting the teen and young adult demographic, but their are plenty of other companies producing comics for kids. I know Boom! Comics does quite a bit of Adventure Time and Gumball comics that kids seem to enjoy, and (depending if your'e kid is into it) there are also comics featuring MLP or Transformers.There's also the Sonic and Megaman books from Archie.

My LCS is pretty great. They have the kids stuff visible when you walk in, but there are definitely plenty of others I've been in that aren't so kid friendly.

Put in my IST order. Mostly Icon/Vertigo/ABC stuff to take advantage of the Marvel/DC 45% sale.

CRIMINAL TP VOL 05 SINNERS
CRIMINAL VOL 4 BAD NIGHT TP
PROMETHEA BOOK FIVE TP
PROMETHEA BOOK THREE TP
PROMETHEA BOOK TWO TP
PUNK ROCK JESUS TP
ZERO TP VOL 01 AN EMERGENCY
ZERO TP VOL 02 AT THE HEART OF IT ALL

Nope. The comic store model needs to be done away with. Or revamped heavily.

I don't feel the model is conducive for new readers, old or young.

Well, I mean, I would say that it is pretty friendly for children. Marvel and DC may be targeting the teen and young adult demographic, but their are plenty of other companies producing comics for kids. I know Boom! Comics does quite a bit of Adventure Time and Gumball comics that kids seem to enjoy, and (depending if your'e kid is into it) there are also comics featuring MLP or Transformers.There's also the Sonic and Megaman books from Archie.

Marvel and DC are primarily targeting their core readers, who are 30 to mid 40s at this point. Not teen or YA at all outside of a handful of recent exceptions like Ms Marvel, Miles Morales, and the new Nova, none of which sell as well as the legacy titles month to month.

This is a serious problem, and yes the current comic book store model is largely to blame.

Uh uh

Na ah

Don't do that.

This. This right here.

Y'all don't joke about this.

This some serious shit not to be taken lightly.

When I saw the first anime for the first time and it got to the end I was like, fuck man, this shit is legit. I can't wait for resolution to this cliffhanger. I wonder when they'll start working on more episodes from the manga... What do you mean there aren't any more? What do you mean it's been 5 years since he made any? WHERE THE FUCK IS MY RESOLUTION?

Japaaaaaaaaan!

When I saw the first anime for the first time and it got to the end I was like, fuck man, this shit is legit. I can't wait for resolution to this cliffhanger. I wonder when they'll start working on more episodes from the manga... What do you mean there aren't any more? What do you mean it's been 5 years since he made any? WHERE THE FUCK IS MY RESOLUTION?

Japaaaaaaaaan!

Made even worse by the fact that the anime is super popular, the writers and actors have all but outright said that they'll eventually be back, and plus this manga is pretty much going to be long. Like, real long. Bare minimum 450 chapters. Bare. Minimum.

Like, what the hell Togashi. I understand back issues, but fucking get it together man. Take care of yourself. Get some assistants. Even Eichiro Oda has a couple assistants, and that man works for like 80% of his day. He's crazy, and he has assistants.

Tizoc

Japaaaaaaaaan!

You didn't watch the new adaptation from a few years ago? It ended right where the manga ended some months ago (Chimera Ant arc).

I do wonder why Togashi doesn't let assistants do it for him, but maybe it is a matter of pride or something? Or like all the medical stuff he needs uses up much of his manga work revenue or some shit @_@

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You didn't watch the new adaptation from a few years ago? It ended right where the manga ended some months ago (Chimera Ant arc).

I do wonder why Togashi doesn't let assistants do it for him, but maybe it is a matter of pride or something? Or like all the medical stuff he needs uses up much of his manga work revenue or some shit @_@

He's married to the salor moon lady, I doubt he's hard up for money. He's probably just very particular with his story and art. The upside to all the breaks is he can spend a lot more time writing it than pretty much anyone else doing a weekly and it shows.

Made even worse by the fact that the anime is super popular, the writers and actors have all but outright said that they'll eventually be back, and plus this manga is pretty much going to be long. Like, real long. Bare minimum 450 chapters. Bare. Minimum.

Like, what the hell Togashi. I understand back issues, but fucking get it together man. Take care of yourself. Get some assistants. Even Eichiro Oda has a couple assistants, and that man works for like 80% of his day. He's crazy, and he has assistants.

I did watch the new one. It's good. Not better. Just different cuts. I have a fondness for moments from the first version because it was my first. Some of the filler was shit but not all of it. Now the series has fallen into Macross territory for me; I'll watch literally anything you put out but I've come to accept it's going to be a decade at best between installments.

And also a huge tail with gun turrets (also a monster mouth) on the end.

Here, have some Re-Class cosplay:

I'm going to need to sleep on this. I'll respond properly in 8 hours.

I need additional information. Why are these girls made of ships? Why not just make ships? Also you seem to suggest that a vampire girl can't be a ship. Is there a cannon-ical reason for this? Are there comics/manga/anime where these ship girls fight? Do they fight in the water? If not, why are they ships?

Also I made the mistake of going into Figure GAF. There were loli-butts.

rachel rising is amazing
join ussssss
My intentions were to finish reading this last night after it came up here,,, but I got sucked into DMZ. Anyone read that? I like it,, the setting and idea is awesome.

10422196_101535540460jpj60.jpg

Aw yiss. Getting ready for dat Black Hood (this is from Swierczynski's Facebook).
Yeah im excited for this,, my LCS guy keeps recommending it to me. Gotta get that Francavilla cover tho...

Black Science could possibly be Remender's best book.
And this,,, its not even fair.. His books have been fucking amazeballs.
Deadly Class is one of my favorite books.. very satisfying.
Black Science, Fear Agent, Venom, and Low are all awesome.

He is one of the guys im really looking forward to seeing at C2E2. I'll have his and Moore's sig on Fear Agent and Venom (hopefully Remender doesn't charge me like that other "big time" celeb.. lol)

Messi

I need additional information. Why are these girls made of ships? Why not just make ships? Also you seem to suggest that a vampire girl can't be a ship. Is there a cannon-ical reason for this? Are there comics/manga/anime where these ship girls fight? Do they fight in the water? If not, why are they ships?

Also I made the mistake of going into Figure GAF. There were loli-butts.

I am also curious about the apparent discrimination against vampire ships

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I didn't know ship girls were a thing until this thread. Are they just female characters with artillery cannons attached to them? I don't really get it. Admittedly, there's no way I'm looking them up to find out more about them.

I think we need some female opinions. Would they be willing to be part ship? My only data, those cosplaying pictures, would seem to suggest so.

Cheska would you volunteer to undergo a ship retrofit? Assuming you don't have a preexisting condition, like vampirism, that'd interfere.

Messi

I think we need some female opinions. Would they be willing to be part ship? My only data, those cosplaying pictures, would seem to suggest so.

Cheska would you volunteer to undergo a ship retrofit? Assuming you don't have a preexisting condition, like vampirism, that'd interfere.

Kinda wanna know this

arkon

I'm guessing if I'm enjoying Black Science, I'll like Prophet?

Different creative teams, different feeling to the books. If you're a fan of sci-fi in your books Prophet is worth checking out though. And if that is the case, check out some of Remender's other work like Fear Agent and Low.

Lol? I just listened to a podcast where they talked about the Will of Xavier. Was that event seriously another
Chaos War where it was all undone in the end?
Lol.

Messi

Of course they were going to retcon
the deaths of Emma, Cyclops and illyana also Evas little girl and mystiques relationship with Xavier

What a clusterfuck.

Zombine

Banned
Let me just say that "Eva's little girl" came out of nowhere to try to stir up an unwed mother controversy when all Bendis did was rip it from U-Go Girl's backstory and apply it to one of his characters. So fucking lazy.

Milligan did it better.

I mean, couldn't Eva do the deed. Then go back in time and stop herself from doing it, but she'd still remember doing it but wouldn't have the consequences?

Top Bottom