• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Dead

well not really...yet
Anyone own the Absolute New Frontier but buy the Deluxe edition anyways?

Bugged me not having the whole collections (the justice league one shot that was released afterwards...)

PsychBat!

Banned
3MdnoSI.png

Did the best I could.

Lum1n3s

Has anyone used a service called Comic Cartel? I found out about them recently and decided to check out their site again. From what I was seeing/reading it looks like an interesting service that has a nice selection of comics on hand. Plus I found out about a recent deal where they give a 10% discount on your comics as well as $3.99 shipping for any subscriptions of 5+ comics.

Owzers

Has anyone used a service called Comic Cartel? I found out about them recently and decided to check out their site again. From what I was seeing/reading it looks like an interesting service that has a nice selection of comics on hand. Plus I found out about a recent deal where they give a 10% discount on your comics as well as $3.99 shipping for any subscriptions of 5+ comics.

hmmm never heard of them. I use dcbservice.com for my comic book pre-ordering.

Riptwo

I've been using the site since they started shipping to Canada, and they've been really great so far! The only tricky thing is that there's a month long gap between when you subscribe to a title and when you actually receive your first issue, so I've had some accidental gaps in my collection where I thought I'd get an issue but missed the cutoff by a few days.

Otherwise, they've been great and their storage boxes are my favourite things. I'm gonna bring a couple with me to the next comic expo here so that I don't have to worry about single issues getting wrecked in my backpack!

Edit: Pictures of the comic boxes:

Lum1n3s

I've been using the site since they started shipping to Canada, and they've been really great so far! The only tricky thing is that there's a month long gap between when you subscribe to a title and when you actually receive your first issue, so I've had some accidental gaps in my collection where I thought I'd get an issue but missed the cutoff by a few days.

Otherwise, they've been great and their storage boxes are my favourite things. I'm gonna bring a couple with me to the next comic expo here so that I don't have to worry about single issues getting wrecked in my backpack!

Edit: Pictures of the comic boxes:

You did exactly what I was going to ask if you could do which is post pictures.

They come in sleeves and boards though? That's awesome! The box is what really caught my interest too... hmm, I'm going to have to get this.

Ugh. There are so many comics I want to read but I don't want to read comics.
this past... idk, few weeks(?), every time i think about reading comics, i think about watching a movie instead and then do that

in fact i think it's movie time right now

Riptwo

You did exactly what I was going to ask if you could do which is post pictures.

They come in sleeves and boards though? That's awesome! The box is what really caught my interest too... hmm, I'm going to have to get this.
Yeah, every issue is bagged and boarded, placed in a comic box with some tissue paper for padding, and then the comic boxes are packed into another box for added protection. It's pretty slick.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Started my Grant Morrison Batman reread as I head towards finally reading the second half of Batman Inc. The first couple issues of Batman and Son are far clunkier than I remembered.

This week's buys:

Moon Knight, Vol 1
Superman Unchained
Trees, Vol 1

Moon Knight's the first modern era Marvel book I've bought since Magneto: Testament. Before that, uh, single issues of the Clone Saga when I was young. The hype and Warren Ellis sold me.

I read Batman 39. Of course it was good. Of course holy shit moments. The wait til the end is going to be excruciating. Greg Capullo killed.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Started my Grant Morrison Batman reread as I head towards finally reading the second half of Batman Inc. The first couple issues of Batman and Son are far clunkier than I remembered.

This week's buys:

Moon Knight, Vol 1
Superman Unchained
Trees, Vol 1

Moon Knight's the first modern era Marvel book I've bought since Magneto: Testament. Before that, uh, single issues of the Clone Saga when I was young. The hype and Warren Ellis sold me.

Ellis' Moon Knight is superb. Shame his run was so short.

oh hell yeah. How is this game, anyway. Seen it mentioned a lot recently, been awhile since i've played a solid DBZ game

The battle system is similar to Tenkaichi / Battle of Z. That is, a sort of free form environment you can run / fly around in (but way better). You create a custom fighter (Majin/Saiyan/Human/Namekian/Freeza Clan) and work with Trunks going around time fixing timeline changes. It's got a bit of a Monster Hunter angle in that you accept missions and get new gear / skills / etc. You can play battle modes or missions with up to 2 other people (3v3). I'm digging it. Would love to see more ComicGAF members in it to play with.

The battle system is similar to Tenkaichi / Battle of Z. That is, a sort of free form environment you can run / fly around in (but way better). You create a custom fighter (Majin/Saiyan/Human/Namekian/Freeza Clan) and work with Trunks going around time fixing timeline changes. It's got a bit of a Monster Hunter angle in that you accept missions and get new gear / skills / etc. You can play battle modes or missions with up to 2 other people (3v3). I'm digging it. Would love to see more ComicGAF members in it to play with.

Sounds pretty dope, thanks for the info. tho i don't think i ever got into the Tenkaichi era, I just remember the Budokai ones (which probably don't hold up but w/e i liked 'em). I'll have to give it a rent if i can find one

Sounds pretty dope, thanks for the info. tho i don't think i ever got into the Tenkaichi era, I just remember the Budokai ones (which probably don't hold up but w/e i liked 'em). I'll have to give it a rent if i can find one

This is a little reductive but the Tenkaichi system more or less takes the Budokai model and gives you a 3D arena to fight in. You can go wherever in that area and lock onto enemies to attack them.

This means you can do shit like fight Great Ape Saiyans and see more than just their feet. ;)

Best part is getting to build out your own moveset.

Always go full Solar Flare.

Not a DBZ fan, but I played Budokai Tenkaichi 2 at my friend's house a few times and it was fun. I may check this game out when it gets a Steam sale.

Zombine

Banned
Like...the Jaffe The Order review thread. I tried to explain that reviewers are more concerned with making a name for themselves than actually breaking down the pros and cons of a game. There's no actual reviewing going on, just writers and bloggers trying to make names for themselves while cashing in on hot trends.

Of course you get people that quote you and are like "you're crazy for thinking that!" As if Im not tasked for writing for sites and specifically told to write what sells and to make shit as visible on Google as possible...

Like...the Jaffe The Order review thread. I tried to explain that reviewers are more concerned with making a name for themselves than actually breaking down the pros and cons of a game. There's no actual reviewing going on, just writers and bloggers trying to make names for themselves while cashing in on hot trends.

Of course you get people that quote you and are like "you're crazy for thinking that!" As if Im not tasked for writing for sites and specifically told to write what sells and to make shit as visible on Google as possible...

Well... I don't want to make it into a big thing, but you're sort of barking up the wrong tree. While there are certainly sites that operate like that, I'd say that by and large that's not why The Order is reviewing the way it is.

Zombine

Banned
Well... I don't want to make it into a big thing, but you're sort of barking up the wrong tree. While there are certainly sites that operate like that, I'd say that by and large that's not why The Order is reviewing the way it is.

But what I'm saying is that the reviewers used language (Kotaku's stands out) that made them just look...unprofessional. I want the industry to be held at a certain standard where we are treated like adults. If we continue to review like children then the medium should continue to be treated as its for immature man children.

But what I'm saying is that the reviewers used language (Kotaku's stands out) that made them just look...unprofessional. I want the industry to be held at a certain standard where we are treated like adults. If we continue to review like children then the medium should continue to be treated as its for immature man children.

That's why it's best to find reviewers whose tone and style match your tastes and listen to them. So when the Giant Bomb crew, whose opinion I trust, says The Order is a 2/5, I believe them because they've served me right before.

It's just one of the downsides of having an enthusiast press. On the one hand, their enthusiasm can be a boon, mostly in terms of watch/readability.

On the other hand, it means that their professional standards aren't all there. I dunno if it's good or if it's bad, but there really isn't an alternative.

One thing to consider, though, is that the more like their intended audience the reviewer is, the better able they are to do their job, at least up to a point.

The only thing I'm leery about is the lack of pre-order bonus. Wasn't it SSJ4 Vegeta or something? Any other way to get him?

Dunno. I don't really care about that stuff. That's just for like, bringing an ally into battle with you on non-story missions, and I usually roll solo (for the exp/money/loot boost) or with friends.

It'll probably be purchasable at some point.

That's why it's best to find reviewers whose tone and style match your tastes and listen to them. So when the Giant Bomb crew, whose opinion I trust, says The Order is a 2/5, I believe them because they've served me right before.
It's funny. For me GB is one that clearly doesn't align with me. All the ones I'd know and trust left the industry :(

Dunno. I don't really care about that stuff. That's just for like, bringing an ally into battle with you on non-story missions, and I usually roll solo (for the exp/money/loot boost) or with friends.

It'll probably be purchasable at some point.

Yeah, I'll probably grab it this weekend. I just hate missing out on conetent because I didn't fucking pre-order.

I fully agree with you. Until we get some real Journalists in the gaming media it'll never happen.

The "enthusiast press" needs to go away. Its not helping anyone.

I've given up on all reviewers at this point. For me Giant Bomb is one of the worst. I swear everyone of their Quick Looks comes off as a bunch of people who have never picked up a game controller before. Trying to watch them play a game actually hurts.

Top Bottom