• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Zombine

Banned
I fully agree with you. Until we get some real Journalists in the gaming media it'll never happen.

The "enthusiast press" needs to go away. Its not helping anyone.

I have been in the conceptual stage of my "nerd media" site for a while. One of the aspects of it that has been incredibly important to me is being transparent during the reviewing process and laying out all valid information for the reader to determine if it is something that they may enjoy, and not basing their opinion on an arbitrary number. We need reviewers who can judge a product based on what is presented in front of them, and not what they want it to be. I hope to be able to work with likeminded individuals who want to educate and inform readers with factual information and build returned readership with trust and honesty.

I've also considered transparency in regards to numbered reviews. If I choose to apply numbers, stars, whatever to the end of a review, I want the reader to understand how we chose that scale and what it represents.

I have been in the conceptual stage of my "nerd media" site for a while. One of the aspects of it that has been incredibly important to me is being transparent during the reviewing process and laying out all valid information for the reader to determine if it is something that they may enjoy, and not basing their opinion on an arbitrary number. We need reviewers who can judge a product based on what is presented in front of them, and not what they want it to be. I hope to be able to work with likeminded individuals who want to educate and inform readers with factual information and build returned readership with trust and honesty.

I've also considered transparency in regards to numbered reviews. If I choose to apply numbers, stars, whatever to the end of a review, I want the reader to understand how we chose that scale and what it represents.

It didn't pan out (obviously), but I liked the separated scales some sites/magazines were using a while ago, e.g. one score for graphics, one score for sound, and so on. Defining the categories would be tricky, though.

Yeah she is. Annie Wu killed it on art too, such a good choice. Can't wait for Black Canary.

And brehs, someone should get Under Night In-birth, it's rad as hell.

yeah my gf and I were ogling the line art on every page. she's so great with those expressions too.

i'm normally a pulido lover but was really unimpressed with the annual issue. the silhouettes on every page are an interesting choice but it didn't work for me. came off as rushed.

Zombine

Banned
It didn't pan out (obviously), but I liked the separated scales some sites/magazines were using a while ago, e.g. one score for graphics, one score for sound, and so on. Defining the categories would be tricky, though.

We've been toying around with a solid star format. Haven't decided on 4 or 5 yet. I plan on working with more than just myself to define what each star represents so people know how we came to that conclusion.

The 10 point system in my eyes is an arbitrary failure of the industry.

We would also never write a review on multiplayer titles until a week after review. If that costs us review copies then so be it.

We've been toying around with a solid star format. Haven't decided on 4 or 5 yet. I plan on working with more than just myself to define what each star represents so people know how we came to that conclusion.

This has always just been my pet theory, but I think the reason 10 (and, to an even greater extent, 100) point scales keep screwing up is because people mentally associate them with school grades. Which is why, for the longest time, an average game got a 7... just like a 70 got you a C. Definitely a good idea to avoid that whole mess.

curb

Banned

We would also never write a review on multiplayer titles until a week after review. If that costs us review copies then so be it.

I really just wish we could get away from scores pretty much altogether. In general they just seem so arbitrary to me and that includes smaller scales. Even the idea of a buy/rent/skip system doesn't take into account a reader's personal tastes. I'd almost like to see more "For fans of _______" because the best FPS in the world ever is still an FPS and if you don't like that genre, it'll never be a 10 to you.

At least if there were no scores whatsoever, people would be forced to actually read the text of reviews.

Zombine

Banned
I really just wish we could get away from scores pretty much altogether. In general they just seem so arbitrary to me and that includes smaller scales. Even the idea of a buy/rent/skip system doesn't take into account a reader's personal tastes. I'd almost like to see more "For fans of _______" because the best FPS in the world ever is still an FPS and if you don't like that genre, it'll never be a 10 to you.

At least if there were no scores whatsoever, people would be forced to actually read the text of reviews.

That is my preference to begin with. The aim is to have a website for adult nerds who want depth to their content and articles. We only ever play around with a rubric as a potential idea. If we did it we want it to be done right.

CBTech

So last month I mentioned how CMX's subscriptions didn't work for Grayson and I had to manually buy it. After another month I am still not getting some titles pulled automatically. Interestingly enough, all of the titles that don't work are from DC. All of the Marvel subscriptions work fine.

In other news I read the first volume of Zero. I'm loving it so far. Really interesting in every aspect. World buiding, art, story. Can't wait to read more. Does anyone know how long the series is planning on running?

curb

Banned
That is my preference to begin with. The aim is to have a website for adult nerds who want depth to their content and articles. We only ever play around with a rubric as a potential idea. If we did it we want it to be done right.

I think that sounds good. Reviews can be such a contentious subject.

I see people in the games media occasionally advise people to find reviewer voices they identify with and listen to them only but of course, that doesn't stop them from trying to drive Metacritic traffic to their site through score numbers. Even personality-driven sites like Giant Bomb still use scores for better or worse but at least you can usually get a much clearer picture of their thoughts on a game from their podcast.

I still miss the multi-reviewer format like old EGM used to have. It really seems like now you get the wrong reviewer on the wrong day and a score can end up way off and suddenly that's gospel. I remember old Nintendo Power issues having a legend for their reviewers indicating what kind of games they liked to better help readers know who to listen to. I miss stuff like that.

CBTech

This week's All-new X-men just completely made me reconsider subscriptions entirely. Had no idea this Black Vortex event thing is going on and I have no idea what the hell is happening. Also, what happened to All-new X-men #37? CMX jumps from 36 to 38.

The problem is Metacritic. Review aggregators are a cancer on criticism, but hey, we all like to watch numbers go up and down so they're here to stay. I know I've been guilty of the "but it got a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes!" argument a few times.

Zombine's idea is good, but I feel "nerd culture" (whatever it is, it's like the new "what is a hardcore gamer?") is absolutely saturated right now. I don't see where one catch-all website fits in and supplies something that a Nerdist or the new diversified Kotaku does not. You would need years to build an audience, and you would need a better angle than "we're more credible than anyone else" because it takes time to build that credibility.

I suppose if you want to do it for fun, go ahead, I'm hoping to do some YouTube stuff in the next few months. I just struggle to see where you're going to turn a profit. We all gotta have a dream though.

since we're just talking about games now instead of comics, I posted this thread on gaming side:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=999137

let's get some sweet ideas from comic-gaf. I want to see a Thor game covering the entirety of Walt Simonson's run.

Left 4 Dead/Evolve clone with a big roster of Avengers, and some villains for fighting and also playing as.

Mumei

I finished reading The Superior Spider-Man run yesterday. It was a lot of fun, though it felt a bit ... lightweight in the end. I am interested in seeing how everything SpOck set-up is going to affect Parker going forward, though. I'm almost tempted to get Marvel Unlimited.

Now I'm reading Wonder Woman Unbound: The Curious History of the World's Most Famous Heroine, and it's pretty interesting:

In Comic Book Nation, comics historian Bradford Wright cites a 1966 poll in Esquire magazine where college students "ranked Spider-Man and the Hulk alongside the likes of Bob Dylan and Che Guevara as their favorite revolutionary icons.

I wouldn't have guessed that college students in the 1960s would perceive Spider-Man or the Hulk as revolutionary icons, but then I'm not a historian.

$1 on ebay

Zombine's life motto:

robocop-dollar.jpg

Dunbar

This week's All-new X-men just completely made me reconsider subscriptions entirely. Had no idea this Black Vortex event thing is going on and I have no idea what the hell is happening. Also, what happened to All-new X-men #37? CMX jumps from 36 to 38.
They're skipping over #37 because it wasn't done in time and they needed to get #38 out in time to keep Black Vortex on schedule. The eventual release order is probably going to be #36, #38, #37, #39. #39 is a Black Vortex issue, too, but it's the last one before going back to normal.

Crossovers are a super pain in the ass when they're done with this little regard to regular series readers, which they often (usually (almost always)) are.

since we're just talking about games now instead of comics, I posted this thread on gaming side:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=999137

let's get some sweet ideas from comic-gaf. I want to see a Thor game covering the entirety of Walt Simonson's run.
Even though it's been done to death on Gaming side, I would love to see a superhero game by Platinum or the Devil May Cry team. That would be my shit.
I finished reading The Superior Spider-Man run yesterday. It was a lot of fun, though it felt a bit ... lightweight in the end. I am interested in seeing how everything SpOck set-up is going to affect Parker going forward, though. I'm almost tempted to get Marvel Unlimited.
Yeah the ending to Superior was weak-- really everything from the Venom arc on was kind of bleh. Kind of a shame.

Even worse too since the beginning of of ASM's relaunch was just bland. Completely turned me off of Spider-Verse, which should be the easiest event in the world to sell me on. I'm ready for a new writer especially after visiting a lot of post OMD stories written by other people like Joe Kelly. JC wrote a great post about Slott's writing on Spidey that perfectly summed up how I feel: his work started off really strong but it's sort of teetered off into the realm of being almost boring and half-hearted. It's time for someone new.

yep I feel the same about superior. that book got be back INTO spider-man, but the back half of it and the relaunch of ASM got me back out. I'm just very bored with Slott's writing of these characters.

styl3s

39JGKFz.jpg

Was my birthday earlier this month and used the money I received to place this lovely instock order. Even though this like like my 10th order with IST, I'm still amazed at their packaging and just how careful they are with your books.
IST? I have been looking for a new place to order books online with reasonable shipping costs since the only comic shop left in my city is like 20 minutes away. I still get some weekly stuff from them to support but their backissue catalog is shit.

The best part of Superior Spiderman were some of the covers.

That Black Cat cover was my favorite. Shame what Slott had to do to her.

I mean that's kind of what The wonderful 101 is though.

I love Wonderful 101 but I mean more like a game focusing on controlling a single character rather than controlling a group at a time. Just something simple like a Spider-Man game that controls as well as Bayonetta does would be like heaven.

Raife

Anyone own the Absolute New Frontier but buy the Deluxe edition anyways?

Bugged me not having the whole collections (the justice league one shot that was released afterwards...)

I have the absolute but have been really tempted to double dip just for the extra story. I thought it was exclusive to the hard cover. Is there another way to get it?

Mumei

I own the Absolute New Frontier, and wasn't interested in the Deluxe... until just now. And now I'm kicking myself, because I saw it for 60% off on IST a week ago. :(

IST? I have been looking for a new place to order books online with reasonable shipping costs since the only comic shop left in my city is like 20 minutes away. I still get some weekly stuff from them to support but their backissue catalog is shit.

Instocktrades.com. They're fantastic. Bit slow on the shipping side, but great prices and they package things very well.

Yeah the ending to Superior was weak-- really everything from the Venom arc on was kind of bleh. Kind of a shame.

Even worse too since the beginning of of ASM's relaunch was just bland. Completely turned me off of Spider-Verse, which should be the easiest event in the world to sell me on. I'm ready for a new writer especially after visiting a lot of post OMD stories written by other people like Joe Kelly. JC wrote a great post about Slott's writing on Spidey that perfectly summed up how I feel: his work started off really strong but it's sort of teetered off into the realm of being almost boring and half-hearted. It's time for someone new.

I'd like to read that post.

Thanks!

So, Spider Island sounds interesting. What trades should I be looking for? Do I need to read stuff before that story arc starts?

The Amazing Spider-Man: Spider-Island has all the essential bits including most of the build:
COLLECTING: Amazing Spider -Man 666-673, Venom 6-9, Spider -Island : Deadly Foes , material from Amazing Spider -Man 659-660, 662-665, Spider-Island Spotlight

Background can be got from The Amazing Spider-Man: Big Time Ultimate Collection Volume 1:
Peter Parker has finally hit the Big Time. He's a full-fledged Avenger, he just landed a high-paying science job, and he has an amazing new girlfriend. But big-time living means big-time pressure! When the Hobgoblin returns, Spidey will need a slick new edge to defeat him. And when the Scorpion targets J. Jonah Jameson and his loved ones, Spider-Man must grapple with matters of life and death in a moving and compelling tale. Then, Spidey is asked to join the FF, adding even more to his already overful plate. Peter has never been one to shirk his responsibility, but will all his new commitments prove too much to handle? Plus: a new and strangely familiar Venom makes his debut!

COLLECTING: Amazing Spider-Man 648, 649-662, 654.1

Went to Barnes and Nobles last night and finally used a gift card I had.

Ended up getting "The Best American Comics of 2014".. was between this and The Sculptor by Scott McCloud, which looks great!
Pre-sorry for the comic spam..

Introduction (by Scott McCloud)

Some of the many comics:

Top Bottom