• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

tim1138

It was pretty sweet to finally see
the Spectre
in Gotham by Midnight this month. I'm pretty bummed Templesmith won't be drawing it when it comes back after Convergence.

Mumei

I'm curious if your book mentions it but I believe the reason Wonder Woman's been in continuous publication all these decades, despite her lack of popularity after Martson/Peter, is because the rights would revert to the Marston family if the book wasn't in print.

Which is totally fascinating to me because that's the exact same thing that would happen to Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons a good 40 years later with Watchmen

It hasn't mentioned it yet, unless I skipped over it. It's really more about Wonder Woman's history as a character across her different eras. It doesn't just track changes in how she is portrayed (her characterization, her abilities, her relationship with other characters), but also compares her with contemporaneous female characters like Lois Lane, Batgirl, Catwoman, Carol Ferris, etc.. There's also analysis of Marston's feminism and fetishism and how the two can't really be separated, and commentary on the general state of the industry and how changing social mores for women changed the representation of women in comics and so forth.

On that note, this might sound familiar:

A shift began, and many women in superhero comics broke away from their old ways to become more independent.

This change happened everywhere in popular culture as the women's liberation movement gained momentum, and in most fields, this change was gradual. In America on Film, Benshoff and Griffin write that "films of the late 1960s and early 1970s did slowly begin to deal with contemporary issues facing women [and] tentatively celebrate women's independence and touch on other feminist issues." The film industry didn't turn feminist all of a sudden, but a steady change was set in motion. The old model was fading away.

It was a slow turnaround for teen romance novels too. Linda Christian-Smith finds that in this era more female lead characters wanted some control of their lives. They were frustrated with traditional gender roles and keen for more independence. These characters became increasingly assertive with their boyfriends, no longer catering to their every whim. The change wasn't profound, but there was a definite shift nonetheless.

In science fiction, the changes were substantial and began earlier. Throughout the 1950s, letter columns and editorials in pulp magazines argued for more female characters in science fiction. By the late 1960s, female characters weren't just poor damsels in distress waiting to be rescued or evil foes to be vanquished; they were heroes. In fact, one of the most popular subgenres of science fiction in this period was stories about female utopias, most of which had harsh critiques of patriarchal society and gender equality.

And in this period, Wonder Woman lost her powers, left the Justice League because she was powerless (unlike the similarly powerless Batman or Green Arrow), centered her life around Steve, and lost the characteristics that differentiated her from her male counterparts (most notably her interest in getting to the root causes of problems and looking for non-violent solutions). It's interesting how the attempt to make Wonder Woman more relatable in the Bronze Era actually ended up being regressive when compared to the direction that Lois Lane or Batgirl had taken. The difference between Lois Lane and Superman's relationship in the Golden Age versus the Bronze Age in particular is fascinating, though the Golden Age stuff isn't really surprising to anyone familiar with Superdickery.

Rereading Ellis's Supergods, was way better than i remembered. Gorgeous art, all kinds of fucked up hubris tale, even if it becomes pure wankery sometimes.

Do wish he'd show what would become of earth now that the giant fungus is the only entity left, but that was properly foreshadowed by all the dead soldiers in the corridor when he ran from the military base.

I don't know anyone who likes that pairing. And I love both characters individually.
Reading the books, I don't see what's so terrible with that pairing honestly. The dialogue/chemistry mostly works and anchoring Kitty in space is a nice throwback to all these X space adventures.

I mean, most romantic relationships are really one note played to death, I don't see how this is vastly different.

Mine is really good. There is a lot of chemistry between her and Harry Potter.

There can be only one....
deadpool_n__harley_quinn__the_notebook_by_m7781-d5uwtot.jpg

Seriously, why hasn't this happened for real yet? I miss Marvel/DC crossovers.

Zombine

Banned
"Mista Harry, I gots a s'prise for ya." She said as she slowly undid her leather corset, "U W0t M8? Hermoine won't approve of dis bruv."

"Hermoine doesn't need ta know snookums."

"Dixstendio."

Fin.

Messi

"Mista Harry, I gots a s'prise for ya." She said as she slowly undid her leather corset, "U W0t M8? Hermoine won't approve of dis bruv."

"Dixstendio."

Fin.

I want to get this framed and put on my wall.

tim1138

Other than her bitchin' costume design Spider-Gwen did absolutely nothing for me, definitely not worth a $4 investment to me.

ODY-C on the other hand continues to be fantastic. Fraction is doing a great job adapting the Odyssey and Christian Ward's art is just unreal. This is probably the best looking book on the stands.

So like after all that hype this past week, did anyone actually, like, read Spider-Gwen #1

I cut class this morning, so i'm gonna hit up the shop in like an hour

"Dixstendio."

Fin.

excellent

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Other than her bitchin' costume design Spider-Gwen did absolutely nothing for me, definitely not worth a $4 investment to me.

ODY-C on the other hand continues to be fantastic. Fraction is doing a great job adapting the Odyssey and Christian Ward's art is just unreal. This is probably the best looking book on the stands.

That's precisely how I felt after reading the Spider-Verse issue, and I figured that's what would happen with this issue. Latour ain't a good writer, and despite an incredibly strong concept, the execution was bound to be disappointing.

Also, totally agree that ODY-C is fucking excellent. Really glad they didn't try to pander with this book and are taking the soul of the original material and propagating it through this new world.

Dunbar

I think I'm going to buy all of the DC movie variants next month and figure out a way to frame them (a few at a time, not all at once) in my office.

Anyone have any experiencing framing/displaying single issues and could help out with some tips?

Owzers

Spider-Gwen hype seems the same as Batgirl new costume hype, but i didn't read Spider-verse so i'm giving it judgmental hype room.

ODY-C vol 1 will be in the next dcbs pre-order, i'll probably pick that up and Wytches vol 1 since both are 9.99 vol 1 intro priced.

I think I'm going to buy all of the DC movie variants next month and figure out a way to frame them (a few at a time, not all at once) in my office.

Anyone have any experiencing framing/displaying single issues and could help out with some tips?

I'm pretty sure I saw someone here with frames specifically for single-issue comics. Maybe KoruptData?

One of my favorite things about Gwen's costume is that she can pass off the pants as leggings in her outfits. Really awesome.

I thought the first issue was pretty good. I think I liked Silk a little more but the art in this was just awesome.

Sou Da

Just finished #3 and Spider-Man and the X-Men remains the best Spidey-book.

I gotta find a screencap of that X-babies page.

Top Bottom